Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and I'll change it.

I like it and think it's funny as is! 

Hi, everyone! Like many of you, I'm a TWoP refugee who just wandered in today, but I already feel like it has the potential to be my new cyber-home :)

Favorite shows include Gilmore Girls, The Office, Buffy, and about a zillion or so more including, of course, the first four seasons of Criminal Minds. I've recently become happily addicted to Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Other random facts I've blathered about elsewhere: I live in New York, I've fallen into an incredibly odd not-even-a-real-job job that somehow allows me to pay my rent while still spending most of the day surfing the web or attached to my beloved Kindle, and I'm less than three months away from turning 40 and surprisingly sanguine about it (though I totally won't be once the actual day arrives; you've been warned!)

I'm looking forward to talking to you guys and am thrilled that we have separate threads now! 

• Love 1

I'm so glad more and more posters are finding their way over here. I was rather distraught when I first heard the news about the forum shutting down. Now I did consider joining the discussion on CM's official Facebook, but decided that many of those people were just a little too intellectual for me.

zannej, I moved yours and my last post to The Bullpen, a catch-all thread I created. 

As moderator Lisin clarified for us:

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
  •  
  • This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Does this forum support the inclusion of pictures? I see there is an image symbol. I'm just wondering if pictures are allowed here-- and if so, what size and what are the limits?

Pictures: Yes, you just put in the URL to the image (don't use the link, just plain text and the system will display the image). I use Imgur to host the images as I'm careful not to 'hotlink' images. See the primer post for more.

There are shows like "Hannibal" whose cast and writing is brilliant. OMG! It is the one of the best shows on tv. Everything about this show is great but the ratings suck.

I just saw Hannibal the other night and I have to agree it was riveting. Well-acted and well-written. Another show i was anxious to try, Those Who Kill, got pulled after 2 episodes were shown, they're saying it could come back. I did like it, it was interesting, very somber. And about psychological profiling... I hate to feel like CM has reached its last gasp, but TV is changing. People either want the spy/explosion tropes or they want something new and interesting. CM is wobbling on the precipice of going for the spy/explosion remake, and it just doesn't work, IMO.

• Love 1

I watched one episode of "Those Who Kill" and just didn't like the female lead. I don't like that she is having random sex with strangers. That just turned me off.

I don't know why a female lead character who is in law enforcement can't just be strong, intelligent and have no "father or mother or man issues". It's what I love about Dana Scully in the X-Files. And I wish there were more female characters like her.

But for some reason I like "Bridges" but I couldn't get into "Those Who Kill."

• Love 1

You know when you asked that question about strong women in law enforcement I immediately thought of making a thread like this!

"Life" - the only other procedural I ever really loved. The lead guy was named Charlie Crews played by none other than Damien Lewis, who I adored from Band of Brothers, and Sarah Shahi was his partner, named Dany.

Now Dany had a LITANY of problems, drugs and booze being a few, and a very complicated relationship with her insane-o father... but she was also amazing. Smart and capable, and really very human. I went crazy for this show and have turned many people onto it that missed it first-run. 

It was the most original premise I'd ever heard, the writing was superb, and it was just... cool. 

I still go back and watch it, a LOT.

oHbEEU0.jpg

• Love 3

I think the Andrew Wilder episodes were later in the 10 episodes they have filmed, but i could be wrong. I liked the writing anyway.

IndyMind, I think this is a good character, just flawed, but,yeah, I totally get preferences for and against certain types. When I watched Hannibal, I was so creeped out/attracted to him, and I'm a girl who always loves the good guys over the bad. I would never pick a villain over a hero, unless it's a Coen Brothers movie! All of the virtuous people in them are the real bad guys!

Edited by normasm

normasm - I love Beverly and Bedilia on Hannibal. I am not too fond of Alana. I wish they had killed her off instead of Beverly. I cannot wait for Bedilia to coe back. Gillian Anderson is just so damn mesmerizing and I'm a straight woman! lol. I want to find out her history with Hannibal. I know something happened to both of them and it's supposed to be revealed.

• Love 1

OMG! You watched that too? Rand Ravich is the reason why I watch "Crisis" well, besides Gillian Anderson. I LOVED "Life" especially the first season. Wasn't too crazy about season 2 when they brought in that love interest for Dani. I love Sarah Shahi. I am starting to warm up to her character on "Person of Interest" but I will forever love Det. Joss carter. And I love Amy Acker as Root because she is sooooo crazy!

Although i had issues with Dani's daddy issues. And that she was sleeping with men she picks up at bars.

The X Files Dana Scully for me will always be a great example of strong, intelligent and no man-hating issues. I just love her. 

Another one is BBC Two's "The Fall" You guys have to watch this show. It's on Netflix. It's 5 episodes and Stella Gibson, the lead character is in pursuit of a serial killer who hides in plain sight. Talk about a bold, strong and intelligent female character, well she is it. 

I think Gillian Anderson plays characters that is representative of what women are supposed to be, strong, independent, passionate, and dedicated. 

What i love about Dana Scully and Stella Gibson is that they never have to physically kick ass to show they are bass ass, they just use their brains to do so.

Edited by IndependentMind

Yes! And season 1 was phenomenal. Right there with you on season 2, it was uneven, and it really took me a long time to warm up to Donal Logue. I missed Calamity Jane! And there were SO MANY Deadwood and Band of Brothers guest stars, too. Have you read any of the Life fic? It's pretty crazy, especially the Crews/Dani stuff.

And you'll hate me for saying this, but your criteria? Strong, capable, intelligent woman with no daddy or other issues?

*cough JJ cough* 

;)

I actually wrote I think one or two Life fanfics. 

Donal Logue ruined the show for me. But the ending was so perfect. 

Another show I loved was "Cold Case". And I really miss that show. I also miss CSI: NY. I wish they never let Melida go because of salary issues and replace her with Sela Ward. A big name but her character was boring and just didn't fit the team.

And i love Law & Order: SVU. Olivia is one strong female character and I love how Mariska has used her character in real life to start foundation that helped women and children who are victims of sexual and physical abuse. She also has raised awareness to unused rape kits in Detroit where our government paid so much money for these rape kids only they up in trash. 

Another favorite of mine is Ming Na on SHIELD. And Rachel Nichols on "Continuum". Honestly, Criminal Minds did not do justice to her. Her character Seaver was so badly written. 

And of course, Rizzoli & Isles. I love the character Maura Isles. She is my favorite. For me, the character Jane Rizzoli is too typical of a female cop so she doesn't interest me at all. And I love Maura's sense of humor and yeah, her clothes.

Rizzoli & isles is an example of a badly written show but gets high ratings because of the leads. But thank goodness, they got rid of the show runner and from what i heard due issues on the set with the show runner. So from Twitter posts, I am optimistic that this show runner is better and season 5 will be a better season. 

Sasha Alexander is just too adorable and has great comedic timing. I loved her on NCIS. And when she left, I stopped watching the show. I just never warmed up to the spy, ass kicking Ziva David.

I really liked the first few seasons of X-Files before they moved to filming in LA.

Lately I haven't watched much TV so I haven't kept up on other shows. I tend to watch things like the Suze Orman show (which I watch with my mother), Love It Or List It, House Hunters, Property Brothers, Holmes on Homes, Holmes Inspection, Buy and Sell, Rehab Addict, Income Property, Outrageous Acts of Science, How Its Made, Chopped, Cupcake Wars, Face Off, and Antiques Roadshow. I don't usually make an effort to tune in though. I don't keep tabs on when they are on, I just watch them if they happen to be on when I turn on the TV. Criminal Minds is the only show I actually make a point of watching on a regular basis on a schedule.

I used to watch Xena: Warrior Princess, Hercules, The Adventures of Sinbad, Farscape, Stargate: SG1, SeaQuest; DSV, Star Trek: The Next Gen, Star Trek: DS9, and the original Star Trek. I watch the repeats when they come on from time to time.

I also used to watch ER. I remember when Ming Na Wen was on that as a student doctor. I was sad when they got rid of her. I liked her in the Joy Luck Club and I think she was in some action flick based on a video game. I can't remember the name though.

Edited by zannej

I don't even know how many seasons X-Files lasted. I agree that Gillian and David had very good chemistry and it seemed natural. I did see a few episodes with Dogget. Didn't Carey Elwes take Skinner's place?

X Files lasted for 9 seasons but the last two, David was hardly in it. Gillian was in it for most of the whole 9 seasons. David was having contract negotiations problems for those two seasons so they brought in the character Doggett. Then Gillian didn't want to renew after season 9 so Chris Carter decided that season 9 was the last season for The X Files.

Funny that years later, the fandom grew even more. And I think there is even a deeper appreciation for the show from Gillian and David from what I gather watching their Comic Cons and Wonder Cons. They have a deep love for each other because of their experience on the show.

Gillian said after the show ended she couldn't bear being on another set and wanted to do plays. So she moved to London and has lived there ever since. David did Californication which is ending too. He recently said that he wishes that at the time The X Files was ending he should have treasured it more.

When you watch them now, they have such deep love for each other that you can't help but believe the rumors. Gillian summed it best "I think we know each other too well. We probably know ach other better than we know our spouses at the time that we have had spouses."

• Love 1

Thanks for explaining that, Independentmind. I can't remember how far behind I was on watching the show because I was overseas when it started. I know I watched it and got the DVDs while in Guam.. So I think that was in '96 to 2001 and then I had no TV for a year when I moved back to the mainland. I didn't get Fox network (and still don't) so I had to watch reruns on FX.

You are welcome zannej. Me too, I was also overseas. I think I caught up the last 5 or 5 seasons. The last two was really hard for Mulder fans because he was barely there. But I like Annabeth Gish and the guy who played Doggett so i was okay with especially since Gillian was still there. And Gillian is an amazing actress that she could have any chemistry with anybody on the show.  But I am such a shipper that I really did miss Mulder. But the ending and the movie "I Want to Believe" made up for my Scully/Mulder aching heart. LOL

I do wish though that i could have attended one of their Comic Cons so I could at least see them in person.

They are such an attractive pair.

I am totally fan-girling here Willowy:)

By the way, are you excited about Agent Hill coming back to "S.H.I.E.L.D.."?  Also, what a shock that Ward is HYDRA? And May almost said "I Love you" to Coulson. Wow.,

My wish is for Skye to just disappear. I cannot stand a Ward/Skype romance. Although Ward is getting more interesting. Mr. Handsome is a Bad man! I hope Agent Hand isn't dead. I like her. 

Making a lame attempt to keep this on topic for a CM forum: How would you guys compare Criminal Minds to other crime dramas you've watched? Is CM the first crime drama you fell in love with, or do you have a long history of loving other procedurals?

• Love 1

We can discuss other shows here, it's a specific thread for that because not all here go to the other specific show forums. 

I AM really glad about Maria returning! She's one of my favorite characters from the MCU. 

mstaken, LIFE was the only other procedural I've ever really loved. Then came CM and the rest is herstory. 

We can always open up another Topic called "CM vs Other crime/procedural shows. Since this Topic is for other shows we watch.

Mine too. I totally loved her in "The Avengers Movie". I actually thought she would be a good candidate for "Wonder Woman" I know that DC Comics but stilll...

Would "The X Files" be considered procedural? It is a crime drama, Sci-Fi. 

Independent Mind, just so you know, I have friends on the X-files forums here who I'm sure would be thrilled to see you and your pictures :) 

I'll start that other thread :) 

Edited by mstaken

Thanks, David.

Didn't Gilian say that Duchovny was the first person she told when she found out she was pregnant?

Agent Hill is joining SHIELD cast? Awesome! Earlier today I was wondering to myself if she would want to join that series now that How I Met Your Mother ended. I really liked her in the Avengers.

I don't know if I could see her as Wonder Woman. I guess I have a hard time picturing anyone but Lynda Carter in the role. Sort of like how no matter who else they try to get for Superman, I always picture Christopher Reeve.

The only episode I've actually seen of the series was the one with Jaimie Alexander (Sif). I wonder if they would ever be able to get Chris Hemsworth to make an appearance. Thor is supposed to be on Midgard. Too bad there is probably no way for them to work Loki into the show for a visit. Speaking of which, did you see that bump Tom Hiddleston got on his head from someone opening a door when he was leaning down to pick something up. Ouch. I hope it doesn't leave a permanent scar.

Did I mention that I used to watch Law & Order? I adored Jerry Orbach. Its just not the same without him. I also watched the show The Profiler that had a brief guest star on CM, Robert Davi. Jamie Luner was on that show as well. Oh and so was Erica Gimpel-- she plays Morgan's sister. 

did you see that bump Tom Hiddleston got on his head from someone opening a door when he was leaning down to pick something up. Ouch.

You know I did! I posted a couple pics of Hiddles at the Olivier awards last night on my fb and there it was. I was wondering how he got it, thanks zannej. 

I think we would all need some of this tumblr_n43zj9LBqu1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

I wish I could have some after the day I've had. I've been helping a friend with his sick dog and was going to give the dog eye medicine but the dog died today. Made me need to hug all of my doggies.

Zannej , you mean her first pregnancy? It would not surprised me since her daughter Piper Maru seems to be The X Files baby:)

David and Gillian are really sweet. Even during the premiere of The X Files "I Want To Believe" he was holding her tenderly almost intimately even when her partner Mark Griffiths was there.

Here is her answer to his tweet:)

https://twitter.com/gilliana/status/456300430725619712

I am pretty sure they are not involved but its just nice to hope that they eventually would:)

I doubt we will see Chris Hemsworth on SHIELD.

It is hard to see anyone else to play Wonder Woman and it is ptobay why it is only now they have been able to cast another one in the upcoming Superman movie.

I have weirdly eclectic tastes in TV. Gilmore Girls is one of my first and most enduring obsessions, which of course makes sense since it has ever-so-much (Read: absolutely nothing!) in common with our CM :) I guess different shows just satisfy different moods and cravings, you know? I love GG's witty dialogue, exuberant charm, and the heartwarming mother-daughter relationship that's the soul of the show. (Given my love for the Diana/Reid relationship on CM, I think it's safe to say that I tend to gravitate towards the parent/child relationships on many shows.)

I loved Buffy deeply and in most ways still do, though the show hasn't aged quite as well for me over the years as I might have hoped. It's only relatively recently that I get the fuss over Firefly, but at the moment I'm more likely to rewatch that than Buffy.  

Here's a fun question: Name about 10 of your all-time favorite TV characters!