Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

(edited)

I just remembered that I used to watch a show called "Judging Amy". I never cared much for the main character, but I really adored her mother Maxine (portrayed by Tyne Daly). The main character was a family court judge who was going through struggles of getting divorced and trying to keep custody of her child while having moved in with her mother-- who was a social worker. Maxine's boss was played by Timothy Omundson (the killer from L.D.S.K.). It was funny because his character was actually afraid of Maxine and he would back down if she raised her voice to him. I also liked the court assistant (don't remember the exact name) and many of the supporting cast. I mainly watched it for Francine though.

Also, this is not a tv show, but there was a movie called "Murder By Death" starring Maggie Smith, Truman Capote, Peter Falk, Peter Sellers, and Sir Alec Guinness. It was a Clue-like murder mystery and was hilarious. It made fun of the various murder mystery heroes. It's worth a watch. 

Oops. Fixed the name from Francine to Maxine.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 1

I love Leverage. I know it's no longer filming new episodes. I bought all the DVDs. But since I found this as CM was deteriorating, this show means a lot to me. The writers do a great job of balancing the screen time for all of the team members. There are no favorites. They're all allowed to grow their characters, ad lib, etc. The DVDs contain commentaries on every single episode and there are at least two people (writer and director) and usually at least one actor participating. So much information is given and they're having a blast remembering fun things that happened while filming or special problems they were having. They're very supportive and complimentary toward their crew and the local actors and even the city and people of Portland where they film. The Portland folks were thrilled to have Leverage film there so they bent over backwards to give them the buidlings and locations they needed for filming. This is truly a team I'd love to be a part of. They're quirky and fun and very clever. I can watch all 5 seasons over and over. And it doesn't hurt that the 3 guys are pretty hot.

• Love 1

That's great news, Willowy. I love his hands, too. Remind us when and where to look for you when the film comes out.

Many years ago I was directing a production of Godspell. One of my cast worked in a mall in the Highland Park area of Chicago. They filmed a scene there for the movie Ordinary People (love, love, love). There was a scene with Mary Tyler Moore and Donald Sutherland having lunch in a mall food court. This gal from my cast bribed a waiter to get her seated at a table behind Donald Sutherland. Whenever the camera was focused on him, you could see this girl, Bonnie, behind him talking and making big hand gestures with her red fingernails. From what I know about her, I'm sure she was totally trying to pull focus. So she is clearly recognizable in the film, even though she has no lines. She's just an extra.

• Love 4
"I know he talks about loving the rain and I wonder if he was feeling the love during that storm."

You should've seen him. It was right out the front doors of the hotel, whipping around and flooding down 7th street like river rapids. He and about eight or so other people from the production ran outside, then flattened themselves against the doors where there was minimal shelter but they could still see and feel the rain. He was grabbing everyone and holding onto them in his excitement. My friend Laura (another extra) and I were inside in the lobby watching all those crazy fuckers outside because we knew better, but they were so into it!

I tried to get a pic while everyone was distracted watching the rain, and Laura was trying to snap it for me, but they all came inside just as we were trying to get the shot and he was moving around the whole time anyway. I think I saw him sitting still maybe twice. Once with Derek (the director) and once when we were all being very super quiet when they were rolling and Matthew was in the green room with us looking at the camera monitor. 

Not that this is incredibly exciting or anything, but here's Laura and I on the balcony of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel about an hour before the big storm hit. Yeah, my hair looks like shit. Fuck it, it can't hang with humidity. 

5nYLgIg.png

• Love 2

I love both Judging Amy and Leverage! 

@zannej her name was Maxine (not Francine) and she was practically a religion for me in the way that Buffy was - like WWMD! I didn't like how she got really preachy at the end of the series, but I adored how much she LOVED her girls and how much she CARED about the people she would have to help in the course of her job. I loved her slow and sincere romance with Cheech, and I was terrified she was going to die when she came up with health problems. 

Judging Amy gave me hope that I would still be useful and important as I aged, that I would always be able to make a difference, and made me feel as though the side of right might, and could, always prevail. 

Leverage had Lindsay from Angel, Voodoo from Friday Night Lights, and now that I've seen her as Maeve she can be nobody else. So yes. Rockin!

D'oh! How did I get the name wrong? Must have been a brain fart and my brain just didn't catch it. Thanks for correcting that. I swear, sometimes I can remember incredible details and other times my brain decides to go on vacation. I'm not usually very good with names and faces, but I can remember other details. I didn't catch the end of the series. I did really enjoy watching it when I caught episodes. Maxine was such a strong character. 

Remember the episode where Amy was meeting with someone about custody of her daughter and Maxine was confronted by the mother's of some children because she'd been driving them to school and they misbehaved so she got them out of the car, lined them up, and lectured them before getting them back in to finish the drive? And Amy was worried that the trouble might make her lose custody. But Maxine just explained to the mothers how one of the children had been hitting another one and how the children had misbehaved so she needed to establish some rules and let them know that it was not acceptable behavior. I liked how she dealt with that. I need to find if any reruns air and go back and watch them.

• Love 1

I remember some years back there was a problem with getting it to DVD, and just looking now it appears that problem remains. You can get some bootlegs but nothing official. I've heard of this problem before, it usually has something to do with not being able to secure the music rights. Same thing happened with My So-Called Life, but they eventually worked that one out. 

It's a shame about the DVD issues. There are a few shows I wish I could find on DVD that just aren't available. I'd love to find Wallander on DVD. I've only seen snippets on Youtube, but it looked like an interesting series.

I do remember that I think one episode of CM had an issue with the music so they had to replace it on the DVD. It was "Somebody's Watching" actually and it was the song in the beginning.

I tuned in to Leverage after seeing Beth Riesgraf as Maeve on CM. I just wanted to see her in something else. I love her as Parker. So quirky and fun. And I'm sure those Nationwide Insurance commercials stole her character as the woman who replaces all the items in the home that were damaged. Love Parker doing all the gymnastics moves as she manipulates a theft. I never watched Angel, but I love Christian Kane. My husband is as jealous of Eliot on Leverage as he is of Hotch and Reid on CM. He knows I have my TV boyfriends. :)

Another I'm recently reminded of is Saving Grace with Holly Hunter. Grace Hanadarko was and remains a favorite character of mine, and I thought the premise was creative (no pun intended).

9y9GXRL.jpg

There were hilarious moments, and a lot of poignancy in the character of Earl who was Tom Nuttal in Deadwood. Her partner was an idiot, but I did like the other guy on the force. He was played by Bailey Chase, who was James Colby Baylor, the guy who shot Penelope. Also 'John Blackwolf' was in it too! 

Seems like a strange show to appeal to a non-religious person like me, but there it is. 

eta: Laura San Giacomo was in it too! I love her! She was Grace's CSI friend who knew immediately Earl was an angel and wanted Grace to get one of his wing feathers for her to analyze. So cute!

• Love 1
Seems like a strange show to appeal to a non-religious person like me, but there it is.

I'm not an especially religious person either, but I've recently been rewatching (and falling back in love with!) Joan of Arcadia. Clearly, my obsession with shows that feature Joe Mantegna knows no bounds :) 

• Love 1

I tried watching Saving Grace and just had an immediate visceral reaction to the lead actress and just didn't like her for some reason.

Speaking of weird shows with a religious premise, has anyone seen the pilot for the new SyFy series called "Dominion"? I didn't get to see the whole thing, but it was bizarre.

I missed quite a few episodes of Continuum so when I watched it yesterday I was royally confused. I still find that show interesting though.

Continuum has two worlds now just like what happened in Fringe. There are two Alec, the bad and the good. I had ti catch up too since I was on vacation for two and a half weeks.

Another show I like is "Defiance" and season 2 premiered last week.

And I love "Longmire".

I am looking forward to FX's "Tyrant".

I am waitng on the return of "The Bridge".

Ah. I never saw Fringe so I don't know what that one was about. I know they referred to one of the Alecs as "scar Alec". Its a convoluted program, but it still is interesting.

There may not be huge amounts of mdse (accounting shorthand for merchandise) out there for Criminal Minds, but I've seen a few things. Mostly there are mugs and T-shirts that say Criminal Minds, BAU, Unsub, TeamReid, TeamHotch, etc...

This is a place to collect images and comments about some of your favorite mdse or things you find strange, or just whatever related to mdse. Including the DVDs. And mdse from the cast members-- like Shemar's Baby Girl line and Matthew's shirts. You can even list what sort of mdse you would like to see.

I'm going to kick this off with mention of the Criminal Minds PC game by Legacy Games.

The graphics are pretty awful and they didn't get the actors for their voices. Its only 2 cases but it can be slow going because the little mini-games can take time. There are some puzzles, object finding games, majong, and a thing where you move parts around to create a path. 

Originally JJ wasn't in it, but they went back and added her in after they saw the outcry over AJ's firing. They tried to work in the specialties of the team members a little bit and there were some cute moments. It wasn't completely in character and it wasn't exactly sophisticated, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I just googled it and found this http://www.cafepress.com/+criminalmindstv+gifts

Apparently there are "Wheels up in 30" shirts. LOL.

There are so many CM things out there that I want! It seems to me though, that the people who give the okay for these items don't really have a handle on what most fans want. The last thing I want is a shirt with "Mrs. Spencer Reid" and his face emblazoned across my chest - what am I, twelve? Way too obvious.

I like stuff that is recognizable by other fans, but not necessarily to the public at large. Like a small BAU logo above the breast pocket, or yeah, I'd wear a baseball cap with "Team Reid" on it, but only if it didn't say anything else on the hat. I'd love a keyring with a piece of Matthew's art, or the pic of him and JJ holding each other in Magnum Opus. I'd also like a shirt with a favorite quote from the show like "Happy Wednesday, my nerds.", just without the obvious Rossi shot. 

I really REALLY want this shirt, which Erica gave to every member of the cast and crew at the Vegas party after 200 (not because of the episode itself, but because of the milestone):

fV02VZU.jpg

And my ultimate CM merch thingy would be this beauty:

JrjCMUd.jpg

Those are nice! I wish I had a good pic of the CM bobbleheads. Those were cool but I know they were only for the cast and crew.

Hey, don't you have a couple of Gube shirts? Gublerflu and maybe the face shirt? Got pics?

I've only caught parts of Orphan Black and I can't tell wtf is going on, but I have to say the acting is very good and it usually holds my interest when I'm watching. The lead actress is awesome and even if you aren't familiar with the premise she emotes very well and it grabs you and makes you feel for the characters. At least it does for me.

My mother likes to watch a lot of court programs like The People's Court, Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, Judge Alex, etc... Whenever I watch those I start to wonder what it would be like of Hotch or Reid or the team were in one of those courts and how they would react to the judges and how the judges would react to them. I think Mathis would make fun of Reid and relate to Morgan for being a lighter skinned black man. Judy would probably just be a bitch as usual.

Ya, here:

bs5dC5Z.jpg

z9LSkAq.jpg

I thought you had some too. Pics?

LOL here's the bobbleheads. Reid looks like Viggo Mortenson! And JJ has never sported a cheesy grin like that! HA! Remember when Anna Fleiner sold hers on ebay? 

3x0rwnx.jpg

• Love 1

I never did get any of the gubler shirts, sadly. I tried to get the gubler flu one but my internet crapped out on me. I see a Loki and the Loon cartoon in the background of the gubler flu pic!

I remember some people were upset that Anna was selling the bobbleheads. She and Dayne kept trying to sell stuff. I think Matthew actually got ticked at Dayne for trying to sell something once. He said a portion would go to charity and then he later said there had been a misunderstanding and that after talking to Gube, it was all going to charity.

I'll have to put forth more ideas for possible video games after I go pick up a friend from work.

Now's the perfect time to get caught up if you want to start from the beginning @zannej . Season two just ended and the show won't be back for 9 months. Takes that long to 'gestate' a new season, I guess. ;)

There's only ten eps per season, so it's easy to get caught up. Season one is available everywhere. By the time you catch your breath, season two may very well be, also. 

• Love 1

I successfully removed my old garbage disposal, installed a new one, and re-plumbed my sink.

It was a convoluted mess before and now it is nice and simple. I might post pictures later.

• Love 1

I am IN LOVE with In The Flesh!

Beautifully written show about the "partially dead" (read zombie) sufferers of a small but important English town. The hero, and he is one, is a young, sweet, gay, recently deceased son of a kind and warm (non-zombie) family with a balls to the wall sister, and both new and old friends. You would not believe the SHIT this guy comes up against and has to deal with, and it's a wonderful parable for society's paranoid bigotry. 

There's only two seasons, with a third on high possibility. And they are characteristically (for BBC) short, the first season is only three episodes, but you will care. And probably cry. 

And you will LOVE Amy. She's my undead hero.

Here's one preview featuring darling Kieren:

And another a little larger in scope:

I saw part of an episode of "Tyrant" and was intrigued, but I forgot when its on and haven't seen any subsequent episodes. I don't really watch much TV anymore. I can only get tv via satellite and it has been going out when it rains-- and its been raining quite frequently.

What were your thoughts on it?

I'm hoping to view the clips from The Flesh later.

Bah. So I missed it last night. I think it was on syfy for me. I just barely turn my TV on these days.

I'm starting to wish that I had caught episodes of Crazy Ones. The whole thing with Robin Williams is just incredibly sad.

But I should be cautious and stay quiet about Root and Shaw on POI because I think they will be next to get killed off especially Root since she has the Joan of Arc halo around her head for quite awhile now and Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plagemann isn't so shy about all the characters will die eventually. But if won;t be the boys because Nina Tassler will have a heart attack.

And once she is killed off, I think this will be another show I will not be watching.

• Love 1

Spaced.

lXM6b1b.jpg

I don't know how many of you are a Simon Pegg fan, but this was a wonderfully warm, hilarious, irreverent comedy to come out of the BBC in the 90s. Edgar Wright directed and co-wrote the episodes with Simon and Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) who were all best friends and cronies from way back. Nick Frost plays the ever-present best friend Mike to Simon's Tim Bisley, and it's a joy to revisit this and see is still have every bit of charm and truth as ever. The cast of characters will win you over, as will all the sly references to pop culture. But make no mistake, this show has every bit as much heart as it does hilarity.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with space.

Here's the entire first episode. It's not what you think. I dare you to not fall in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CL7QETJNk0

• Love 1

The lengths that some people will go to to deliberately reach out and hurt others is something I don't think I'll ever understand.

I'm speaking most recently of what happened to Zelda Williams in regards to her fathers death, but there are far more minor things that I'm sure we've all been subjected to, even lately, that are shameful, petty, and head-shakingly unbelievable.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last month and endured a radical double mastectomy. She's now facing 20 weeks of chemo. Yesterday I found out my brother (who had just arrived in Colorado to look after her), has throat cancer and possibly lung too, though we'll know more later. As horrific as all of that is, the one good thing that I can identify out of it is that it really makes you consider your fellow human beings, related or not.

My wish is that everyone can try to be a little nicer to one another, moving forward. Petty sniping, belittling, and crowing over one's "rightness" on any given subject should be tempered with the consideration that you know next to nothing of another person's life or troubles. To quote The Riddle; "Cause we're all we've got on this bouncing ball...".

We can all do better, don't you think?  

• Love 3

I'm so sorry for what you're dealing with, Willowy.  I accompanied my own mother through cancer (as much as one can---it is a fairly solitary journey, I'm afraid), and now seem to constantly walk beside one friend or another doing the same.  No matter the outcome, it makes for a very precious time of life, and makes all of the rest of life more precious as well. There's an immediacy, and an openness, that you will want to hold on to, even when your life returns to its own version of normal. I don't know whether or not you are a believer in prayer, or even in God---but I am.  So I have already prayed for you and your family.  If you come to a sense of peace---don't fight it!  It's a gift.

I completely agree with your sentiment.  It's actually one of the reasons I'm pretty quiet on the site.  I don't like carping, or unnecessary negativity (or even seemingly necessary negativity).  Constructive criticism is just that----constructive.  Criticism is, according, to the dictionary:  "the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work", not name-calling or haranguing.  No matter that it's a web site and not a conversation in person.  In life, there are not separate codes of conduct for where and how exchanges take place.  They all reflect on us.  It's all reflective of one's respect for the fact that we're all frail human beings, all on this journey together, and alone. 

• Love 1

Sorry for your troubles, Willowy. I hope your mother and brother recover quickly and completely. And yes, I agree that we need to encourage kindness and not reward toxicity, in every relationship we have.

• Love 1

Yikes. I'm so sorry about that, Willowy. I have really come to despise cancer. It has claimed a few of my pets as well as some friends and family members.

The insensitive crap people were sending to Zelda Williams is just... ugh... While my father didn't commit suicide, he did die suddenly in his early 60s and it was such a shock. So I think I can empathize. Fortunately for me, he wasn't a public figure and I wasn't scrutinized and didn't have to put up with public discussions of the details of his death or speculation about what could have happened or people saying he was a "coward" or "selfish". The only silver lining is that Robin's death has helped raise awareness about depression and mental illness. I've read that he was also in the early stages of Parkinson's, which I'm sure contributed to his depression. He had been pretty active in donating / fundraising for Parkinson's. I hope that it doesn't diminish the support for better understanding and treatment of mental illness. I have been suicidally depressed before so I know how it feels and how sometimes it just hits you and you feel like you can't go on and want to end it all. So many people don't seem to realize that in that moment when a person decides to kill themselves, that you just feel completely overwhelmed and its not about selfishness or wanting to hurt other people. It's about wanting to make the pain go away. Depression can actually cause physical pain. 

Anyway, I have to agree that we do need to think about the human aspect and about how people have feelings and that there are better things to do than to get in to namecalling and insults.

• Love 1

Things that are turning my stomach today:

Smug, sanctimonious frauds who feel justified in tearing others down for their own pathetic sense of superiority, then publicly patting each other on the back. 

The word 'gluten'.

The Governor of Texas.

Things that give me hope/elevate the human condition:

The first woman to win the Field's Medal.

Mark Ruffalo and his tireless work improving standards and increasing awareness.

Friends who walk the walk.

• Love 2

I'm a member of a facebook "swap shop" group for my county and we are not supposed to say negative things about other people on there or make negative comments on their prices/items/services. 

Anyway, this bitch I know who is a horrible mother just started advertising that she's willing to babysit for $15 an hour. The first time I saw it I checked to see if it was April 1 because this bitch won't even watch her own kids properly. She basically ignores them most of the time, screams at them when they want attention, and has been known to be physically abusive. Now, I don't think that she would be like that with other people's kids, but I just can't imagine her having the patience to actually watch someone else's kids when she can't be bothered to pay attention to her own kids without blowing a gasket when they want attention. I mean, heaven forbid she have to take time away from playing video games and watching TV to give her toddler something to drink or actually interact with her kids... Ugh... I so wanted to reply and say that no sane reasonable person would leave a child with her and expect things to go well. It would be a VERY bad environment for the kids.

Also, I'm tired of the whole gluten free thing too.

• Love 1

zannej, the first paragraph and the way you segue into, "Anyway, this bitch I know" had me in tears laughing. Of course I cringed when i read the rest of your description of her. But you did give me a chuckle...

• Love 2

LOL. Yeah, it does seem to be a funny way to start a paragraph. So far there haven't been any takers. I think if anyone actually saw the house they would say "hell no". There are no rails on the front steps and the yard is not safe to play in. There are tons of toys, but her kids don't like to share toys and her son hits other kids. Even if she didn't hit the other people's kids I don't think she would refrain from swearing at her own kids in front of the other kids. 

Meanwhile I've been playing the beta for the next World of Warcraft expansion and got one of my characters to level 100. I'm waiting for some of the broken quests to be fixed so I can complete them. Although I think they are going to do a character wipe before the next major patch so I will have to start all over again at lvl 90-- which is ok because I might do some things differently. It will be good practice for when the game goes live in November.

Jeez, Tat only makes 50k an episode? I wonder if that's PER character? Usually when an actor plays more than one role, they get paid more. 

Hard to believe that Kaley Cuoco gets a cool mill per ep and Tat gets 50k. That's... criminal.

• Love 1

So, our housemate Zach actually got my brother off his ass and got him to help with cleaning some stuff up. To make a long story short, we have to drive our trash out to the end of the road about a mile away but we didn't have a place to store our trash in between dropoffs after the pickup truck was totaled by a falling tree branch. We couldn't put our cans out because the unsubs down the street kept stealing them (even after we put our surname on them) and damaging them. Anyway, Zach found something that had been knocked apart when a tree branch fell on the car port and put it back together so now it can temporarily hold the trash bags until its time to haul them out. And he got my brother to help take some loads of bags down to the end of the road. Normally my brother absolutely refuses and basically calls me a bitch and other stuff if I ask him for help with anything, but he'll do stuff if Zach asks. He's also tentatively agreed to help with dishes and stuff-- which he was supposed to be doing but hasn't been for the past few years.

We go the kitchen floor cleared up and I need to take a paint scraper to get up the pile of paint my brother spilled and left for me to clean... But its very nice to have some progress and I just hope my brother will stick to his end of the bargain and actually help from now on. I won't hold my breath, but at least things are a bit easier for me to get through and clean stuff now.

And of course as we were cleaning (Zach and I-- my brother just went back to his room to play video games) Zach learned that I was not kidding when I told him I'm a hoarder. I hate to throw stuff out and I have to look in the trash can to make sure nothing salvageable got thrown out... I had to just let go and let the aluminium cans get tossed even though its still slightly bugging me. LOL.

I'm hoping by the end of the year to have the kitchen looking decent and have my bathroom finished (still need to finish fixing the floor and install the toilet). Maybe I can even get my mother's bathroom fixed up. Hopefully it can be a surprise for my sister when she visits.

Edit to add that I am absolutely flabbergasted... The dumb bitch I mentioned earlier has too many pets that she can't afford. Some of them have actually died because she didn't take them to the vet and I'm not willing to pay anymore of her vet bills since she already owes me over $300 and pretty much indicated that she's not going to pay me back. Awhile back she took a dog off the street that belonged to someone else. She knew it belonged to someone else and when she found out the person was going to come by looking for the dog, she hid the dog in her house. The person eventually gave up on finding the dog and moved out of town. Then the dog had puppies. She found homes for some of them and I helped her take three of them to the animal shelter. Then she starts sending me messages about how the puppy she kept (that she is still trying to re-home) had some sort of skin rash and the puppies mother has it too. I told her to send pics to the vet's office and they said to bring them in but she said she can't afford it. Then the very next message is to send me a picture of her NEW dog-- a Maltese.... She has to get rid of animals and can't afford the ones she has and she goes and gets another one... WTF?

She's on food stamps and WIC, she quit her job when her family really needed the money, she can't even afford enough food for the pets that she has, she can't afford vaccinations, she doesn't take proper care of her pets or her kids.... and bitch goes out and gets another pet... /picardfacepalm

Edited by zannej