Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

8 songs in, and so far all of them bangers. I think that Super Trouper might be their best album yet.

[EDIT] Yep, this is their best album. 10/10

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Applause 2

I've grown up and maybe because of the age difference then her vs being a teenager I seem to find Jennifer Lopez like real hot all of a sudden.  Beautiful woman.  I do still recall this performance.  It's from 2001 even though it says 2018.  

• Like 1

So, with Voyage (2021), I complete ABBA's discography. Got to say that their latest album, yeah, its return after 30+ years give or take, but, I don't know, I just don't feel it; maybe, 'I can be that woman' and 'Keep and eye on Dan' were really distinguishable from the rest, but...

1. Ring Ring (1973) - 6.7/10

2. Waterloo (1974) - 5.8/10

3. ABBA (1975) - 7.7/10

4. Arrival (1976) - 5.8/10

5. The Album (1977) - 5/10

6. Voulez-Vous (1979) - 6.9/10

7. Super Trouper (1980) - 10/10

8. The Visitors (1981) - 6.2/10

9. Voyage (2021) - 6/10

• Like 1

Love that song too. The world was truly blessed to have her for the short time she sang and made recordings. Many props too to Richard and the lovely arrangements and studio musicians. The sound engineer and studio recordings were always top of the mark. Karen had such a unique voice, even after all these years of singing competition shows on tv, I have yet to hear a singer who had such a beautiful voice as Karen's. 

• Like 2

Currently, back to my own country's music, and I'm listening to the newest album from Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir grupė Skylė (Aiste Smilgeviciute and Group the Hole) called Miško Dvasia (the Spirit of the Forest). A good portion of the album is... how do I say this, scout songs for kids, which is interesting, but more than half of the repertoire have their distinct sound that you can still hear their old folk-metal roots.

Currently, the titular song is playing Spirit of the Forest.

Inga Valinskienė (Inga Valinskiene)... um... she is a chanson performer (don't know whether in English speaking countries there is or was such a genre). Probably, this is one of the most of her lyrical songs. Unfortunately, can't find lyrics to translate, so... the gist is about loving a person (a love song).

After having the pleasure of hearing her live performances twice, I prefer her live voice over studio. Now, for the first time listening to her discogs, the studio versions just sound weird.

Approximate lyrics to the song "You Are My Only One" (Tu mano vienintelis):

You are my only one
Your love heals my eyes, within
And my damaged memory
You are my only one
You have ignited the fire in the abyss of passion
You have awoken a woman (a woman)

Your love fond my arm
I am, and therefore it is enough
My birds are flying
I am free

You are my only one

You are my only one

You are my only one
Your love hears words and heart
Strong and vulnerable
You are my only one

I can dream, make mistakes and not be afraid
And you forgive me this
Your love to me is very joyful
Close, comfy and wise
As an old legend, its new beginning

Love is an exception to the rule
Most beautiful dream in a dream-catcher

Your love fond my arm
I am, and therefore it is enough
My birds are flying
I am free

You are my only one
You are my only one

Well, started now with totally different genre, of which I only am familiar with Eminem and that NWA album where they say f' the police, and that collab with Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit and Eminem called '2001'. But... not them. Decided to listen to Run DMC. Um, I like the the rhythm, and the music in their first album. Everything else - eh.

• Like 1

Second album has more production quality to it, but still I have to say the exact same thing as regards to the first one as well. "The beat is good, but the words are all wrong" :D

Run DMC's third album Raising Hell... I don't like it. I was surprised to read that it was actually best-seller of theirs. Like, how? Their first two albums were miles better than this.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Lol, that was the power of MTV, played the video so much ,kids went out to buy the albums. 

Yeah, apart of subjective factor, I guess so. :D

• Applause 1
(edited)

I always think or Rocky driving mourning the loss of Apollo Creed after hearing this song.  Needless to say the guy that sings looks nothing like I expected.

It's a great song though.  Something too listen too when life feels tough or unfair

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

I think that their last album was the best overall with all of the collabs. Still, their first two albums had the most distinctive music.

As always, subjective assessments:

1. Run DMC (1984) - 4.4/10

2. King of Rock Expanded Edition (1985) - 5.4/10

3. Raising Hell Expanded Edition (1986) - 4.1/10

4. Tougher Than Leather (1988) - 5.8/10

5. Back From Hell (1990) - 6.3/10

6. Down With the King (1993) - 5.3/10

7. Crown Royal (2001) - 6.7/10

• Like 1

I'm continuing to listen to Anastacia's later discography. She seems to continue with generally the same sound which works for me. I don't think I've listened to these before. Defeated is certainly a new favorite.

As a side note, I really appreciate that I now have a job where I can usually listen to music for hours, even when I'm at the office, unless I really have to concentrate on something or have a meeting. Otherwise, my listening to music would be pretty limited as I can't do it while reading or watching TV which are my main hobbies. I never want to go back to having to answer the phone at work.

• Like 1

Ever since I watched the "Wham!" documentary on Netflix, I have been listening to their music almost exclusively. I was never a huge fan, but I had several of their singles. It's hard to believe they were only together for four years. 

• Like 2
(edited)

The only good thing of getting stuck in that traffic jam this afternoon was hearing this song for the 1st time.  Liked enough too listen to it at home as well

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 2

So, with "All Eyez On Me" (1996), I complete the 2pac's discography when he was still alive. I'm debating whether to do his posthumous works, maybe later. His later albums, in terms of production quality, were much better, though, flow and lyrics... not really my style.

As always, subjective assessment:

1. 2Pacalypse Now (1991) - 6.2/10

2. Stricly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z... (1993) - 7.5/10

3. Me Against the World (1995) - 5.3/10

4. All Eyez on Me (1996) - 6.4/10 (CD1) / 6.9/10 (CD2). Total average: 6.6/10