Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

One week people. 1 week. WE MADE IT!

You answered my question before I asked it. Thanks! Now I actually get AMC, so I can watch it the same night as everybody else, but one hour later. No way can I sit through those insane commercials. I thank the gods-that-be for the gift of DVR!

• Love 1
AngelaHunter, on 08 Feb 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

You answered my question before I asked it. Thanks! Now I actually get AMC, so I can watch it the same night as everybody else, but one hour later. No way can I sit through those insane commercials. I thank the gods-that-be for the gift of DVR!

AngelaHunter - you don't have to wait the full hour to start watching.  I've timed it, and can tune into my DVR recording at the 21 minute mark to FF through all the commercials.  :-)

nachomama - we haven't made it until the show starts airing on the 14th.  I never tempt fate!   ;-)

• Love 2

AngelaHunter - you don't have to wait the full hour to start watching.  I've timed it, and can tune into my DVR recording at the 21 minute mark to FF through all the commercials.  :-)

nachomama - we haven't made it until the show starts airing on the 14th.  I never tempt fate!   ;-)

Yes the 21 minute mark is perfection!  All my other non-Walking Dead shows usually only need 16-18, but TWD does just a bit more commercial wise.

RE: Cars....As someone in that industry I still drive 'em until the wheels fall off, and I get a huge freakin' discount.  I might get another one in 2020...Lots of new technology coming that year that should last a while!

• Love 1

I bought an '05 Saturn Vue in Jan '06 with 19,000 miles on it.  I now have just over 33,000 miles, so I guess it will last my lifetime.  :-)

Oh wow!  Mine is an '09 and it has like 160,000 miles on it...lol  Going to baby it to make is last because it is the best car ever...paid for!

• Love 2
kj4ever, on 08 Feb 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Oh wow!  Mine is an '09 and it has like 160,000 miles on it...lol  Going to baby it to make is last because it is the best car ever...paid for!

I was lucky to live close to work and retired in '08.  All the stores are within about a mile of my house - but up or down hill, so I can't hoof it, and bus service is non-existent to anywhere I need to go.  I also believe in conservation, so I tend to drive as little as possible.

walnutqueen, thanks for the info re: watching while recording. Very helpful!

As for cars, the longest I've kept one has been seven years. I now have a 2014 Toyota Matrix. It has 4,300 miles on it and I'm pretty sure I'll die before it does.

Best car I ever had? 1970 Chevy Malibu. That thing was a tank.  

• Love 2

Heaven forbid, I just meant we are no farther away, today, than we are on any other normal week. And I too clock in at about 20 minutes, dvr'ing. I have to check with any hulu peeps, I think only previous seasons are available for free, current you have to pay for so that will factor into whether or not I dump cable. I can watch the next day, no problem, I can avoid spoilers for that, I don't post in current episode threads until well after but I can't read them til I watch and by then everything's been said, asked and answered. 

but the my day is going, I might not make it to next Sunday. I sincerely hate my job, very first thing when I walked in was get yelled at that I hadn't sent someone a proof. I was never told that I needed to, but send it I did. So then his brother screams at me why did I send it, I hadn't shown it to him. (and I had, I made it "bigger" as instructed, then when I went back to ask him what color shirt it was going on, he yelled at me DOESN'T MATTER WHAT COLOR SHIRT, so I just turned around and went back to my business). I do not try to make anything more difficult but jesus can I step in it every single time. 

I was lucky to live close to work and retired in '08.  All the stores are within about a mile of my house - but up or down hill, so I can't hoof it, and bus service is non-existent to anywhere I need to go.  I also believe in conservation, so I tend to drive as little as possible.

Ahh i wish I didn't have to drive so far.  I'd require a bullet proof car, armed guard and a couple of pit bulls to get me to live by my work.  It's not pretty.

So we have five days....Anyone planning any good snacks?  We made a bleeding brain that didn't turn out so well for the season premier.  I'm thinking the food doesn't have to be zombified this time around but must be tasty!  This is like MY superbowl!

Ahh i wish I didn't have to drive so far.  I'd require a bullet proof car, armed guard and a couple of pit bulls to get me to live by my work.  It's not pretty.

Back when I drove to work, my commute was about 20 miles one-way; not too bad in terms of distance, but the last 1/3 was skirting around a huge lake on boondock roads, and the commuter traffic was the worst - skill-wise, not volume-wise. Which becomes more of a factor when precip hits asphalt, especially the frozen kind.

The last 2-3 years I've been working from home, though. Pluses are I save a ton on gas, nobody else empties the coffee pot without making a fresh one, I always know whose ass hit that toilet seat besides mine, and pants are always optional (at least, until they actually get serious about getting and making me use that video teleconferencing camera they've been threatening for the past few years). Minuses are I'm out of the loop on agency UTR conversations/scuttlebutt which doesn't rise to the level of email unless I reach out and touch someone, and there's no such thing as a snow day.

So we have five days....Anyone planning any good snacks?  We made a bleeding brain that didn't turn out so well for the season premier.  I'm thinking the food doesn't have to be zombified this time around but must be tasty!  This is like MY superbowl!

Only if pizza rolls fall into the category of good snacks.

We can call them "brain bites", if that makes anyone feel better. ;)

• Love 1

Back when I drove to work, my commute was about 20 miles one-way; not too bad in terms of distance, but the last 1/3 was skirting around a huge lake on boondock roads, and the commuter traffic was the worst - skill-wise, not volume-wise. Which becomes more of a factor when precip hits asphalt, especially the frozen kind.

The last 2-3 years I've been working from home, though. Pluses are I save a ton on gas, nobody else empties the coffee pot without making a fresh one, I always know whose ass hit that toilet seat besides mine, and pants are always optional (at least, until they actually get serious about getting and making me use that video teleconferencing camera they've been threatening for the past few years). Minuses are I'm out of the loop on agency UTR conversations/scuttlebutt which doesn't rise to the level of email unless I reach out and touch someone, and there's no such thing as a snow day.

Only if pizza rolls fall into the category of good snacks.

We can call them "brain bites", if that makes anyone feel better. ;)

Oh I love love love when I work from home.  Unfortunately I am like their security blanket around here so they don't let me do that often.  I get so much more work done without the higher ups bothering me all the time.

All the reviews I've read so far sounds like this mid season premier is as good as last years or even better.  I'll admit I'm no where near as excited as I was last year at this time, but I'm hopeful that we are going to get an awesome back 8.

• Love 2

I managed to destroy my laptop yesterday (me, cat, power cord, floor), so I pulled out this old brokedown one (hoarding to my rescue!) and damned if the newer power cord didn't fire it up.  It's hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheavier thhhhhhan shhhhhit, slower thhhhhhan molasses, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhas afucked up screen and ggggguess whhhichhhhh 2 keys are impossible to use?   gggggggggggggrrrrr!!!  (I used to have to copy & paste each g & h, so it has improved with age, but I still can't capitalize them!) 

I may need to consider a new cheapo, if I can find enough spare change in the coin jar.  Otherwise, I'll be spending endless hours deleting superfluous  ggggggg's and hhhhhhhhhhhh's.   :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

The title of the thread is Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn! so your g's come in handy! 

I shall for a change be watching with my besty for the premiere! I'm unsure of snacks. hmmm 

I still need to talk peeps into Sunday night viewing party, year round! There's always a Sunday show I want to watch, Game of Thrones, Zombies, Downton and these will be channels I won't be paying for live anymore. :D I am a mooch but I'll bring snacks and lively commentary. (not til after the shows though)

• Love 1

Hi Everyone!

I've  missed all of you wonderful people! I haven't been posting much lately because I finally followed up all of my talk with action and have registered in a couple of night courses to try to obtain some of those elusive "transferable skills" for my resume.

I haven't felt secure at my job for a year or so, so I decided I needed something to make myself more employable to other places.

Guys. Studying is hard. And I'm so tired. Clearly, I am too old for this sh*t!! :D

Anyway...really looking forward to our show starting up again. Will definitely make time for that!

Cheers! 

• Love 3

The title of the thread is Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn! so your g's come in handy! 

Not to mention my hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh's.  The screen looks like a jaundiced eye and seems to be rotting at the edges, too.  My laptop has been zombified!!!   :-)

• Love 1

Would a tablet do ya, WQ? There are some very decent sized tablets that could connect you to the web for cheap if you cannot replace the gooder laptop and the zombie laptop finally turns to goo. 

I finally got my smart tv hooked up to the ethernet rather than wifi, 20 feet cable wasn't enough, I had to patch it through a defunct router switch and attach another little 6 foot cord and it's dangly just a wee tad bit in the air. Trust me I'll trip over it some night. But Amazon prime works now. On wifi it just spinned (spun? spanned?) for an hour without ever loading up a show. Netflix played fine over wifi. I'll dump amazon here in a couple weeks since I know it won't fit my needs but use my free trial to check out stuff. I watched "Mad dogs" last night, group of dudes go to hang out with their buddy in Belize who has struck it rich. Has a nice villa, then things go south. Buddy is into some shady business deals, there are guns and gangsters and big fighting breaks out amongst themselves and then hijinks ensue with the bad guys. Kinda devolves into "world's most dangerous game" territory.

• Love 2

Would a tablet do ya, WQ? There are some very decent sized tablets that could connect you to the web for cheap if you cannot replace the gooder laptop and the zombie laptop finally turns to goo. 

Can't make a tablet work with my physical limitations (hands, arms, eyes & brain), so it's a laptop with a conventional touchpad/keyboard or bust!   I'll put up with the self-disconnecting power cord, dead battery & other issues for a while, if only to enjoy this old Windows XP again.  :-)

It's possible I'm just not navigating properly yet but I have "Transparent" season 2 set up in my watch list and I didn't see season 1. It must be there. I know I popped Vikings in there and saw that current seasons you pay extra for. So it quickly left my watchlist. But I didn't want to start Transparent on season 2. And I saw the Man in the High Castle listed, I shall check it out. 

We have a customer that I absolutely loathe. He is a retired gynocologist and the thought of any women every having had him involved in their nethers gives me the heebie jeebies. His business card currently reads "relieving women of the burden of womanhood" emphasis mine. I understand he's an older gentleman but he also primarily brings me utter claptrap like civil war writings. Things about the history of Nathan Bedford Forrest ( for those who don't know he founded the KKK) the article he had me type was about NBF attending the first civil rights meetings that, truly, he was a civil rights guy. uhhhh no, gtfo of my face you douchebag.

Edited by nachomama

I managed to destroy my laptop yesterday (me, cat, power cord, floor), so I pulled out this old brokedown one (hoarding to my rescue!) and damned if the newer power cord didn't fire it up.  It's hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheavier thhhhhhan shhhhhit, slower thhhhhhan molasses, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhas afucked up screen and ggggguess whhhichhhhh 2 keys are impossible to use?   gggggggggggggrrrrr!!!  (I used to have to copy & paste each g & h, so it has improved with age, but I still can't capitalize them!) 

I may need to consider a new cheapo, if I can find enough spare change in the coin jar.  Otherwise, I'll be spending endless hours deleting superfluous  ggggggg's and hhhhhhhhhhhh's.   :-)

I haven't had a cat since my little Martini passed a couple of years ago.  Some friends are moving in with me for a few months while their new house is being built, and their two cats have moved in first.  Oh I have forgotten about the casualties brought on by kitties.  I've had two glasses and a coffee cup broken in the last two weeks, and I almost had an unfortunate lap top accident involving orange juice.  Eddie, the "special" one flipped my screen upside down and it took me forever to remember how to undo it...lol

I finally got my smart tv hooked up to the ethernet rather than wifi, 20 feet cable wasn't enough, I had to patch it through a defunct router switch and attach another little 6 foot cord and it's dangly just a wee tad bit in the air. Trust me I'll trip over it some night. But Amazon prime works now. On wifi it just spinned (spun? spanned?) for an hour without ever loading up a show. Netflix played fine over wifi. I'll dump amazon here in a couple weeks since I know it won't fit my needs but use my free trial to check out stuff. I watched "Mad dogs" last night, group of dudes go to hang out with their buddy in Belize who has struck it rich. Has a nice villa, then things go south. Buddy is into some shady business deals, there are guns and gangsters and big fighting breaks out amongst themselves and then hijinks ensue with the bad guys. Kinda devolves into "world's most dangerous game" territory.

A couple of friends' of mine that I went to school with since elementary school were on International House Hunters because they moved to Belize.  They went there for their honeymoon 20 years ago and decided they wanted to retire early there, so they formed a plan and worked until they made it happen by age 40.

Yes, the jealousy could not be greater.  Oh and their budget was like 800,000 on the show, because they didn't want to dip into their savings.

Something has gone horribly awry in my life.

• Love 3

We have a customer that I absolutely loathe. He is a retired gynocologist and the thought of any women every having had him involved in their nethers gives me the heebie jeebies. His business card currently reads "relieving women of the burden of womanhood" emphasis mine.

I know I'll hate myself later for asking, but just what does that mean??

• Love 1

Eddie, the "special" one flipped my screen upside down and it took me forever to remember how to undo it...lol

I did that once.  What programmer decided that was a good idea?  Sitting at work.  Hit some random keys that are a short cut to flip the screen sideways.  Had to walk the laptop to IT.  It took 30 minutes to fix it before anyone thought to google it.

• Love 2

Happy valentubes day! :D not zombie food per se but I'm making lasagna. And for my vegetarian half I think I'm gonna go kinda Mediterranean with feta spinach and olives. The rest will be regular meat in case that other was a bad idea.

Happy valentubes day! :D not zombie food per se but I'm making lasagna. And for my vegetarian half I think I'm gonna go kinda Mediterranean with feta spinach and olives. The rest will be regular meat in case that other was a bad idea.

Happy V Day to you too!  Lasagna sounds awesome...hmmm maybe i'll need to change my game plan.  10 hours and counting...

So the entire series showed up on my DVR again.  I can't believe how shocking it is to see those earlier episodes and how different they all are.

• Love 2

I watched the 'Nebraska' episode from Season 2 yesterday.  Glen looks like he's about 16.  What am I talking about?  They all look so healthy and naive, never realizing just exactly how bad things will soon get.  Kinda sad, really.

Now, that scene of Rick in the bar looking so intense and serious just before the shit hits the fan?  I replayed it about 10 times.  I was drooling so much I think I got a little dehydrated.

• Love 3

In case I don't get a chance later in the week, I'll say "see y'all" now. Come Sunday night, the bigass ship I'll be on will be departing the Bahamas. I'm bummed that I'll miss the episode but it was -22 last Sunday when I went to see Deadpool (awesome movie) and that will not be my fate this weekend. I'll have a missed episode/new episode marathon when I get back, and then I'll let you all know exactly how seasick I got on my first cruise!

• Love 6

In case I don't get a chance later in the week, I'll say "see y'all" now. Come Sunday night, the bigass ship I'll be on will be departing the Bahamas. I'm bummed that I'll miss the episode but it was -22 last Sunday when I went to see Deadpool (awesome movie) and that will not be my fate this weekend. I'll have a missed episode/new episode marathon when I get back, and then I'll let you all know exactly how seasick I got on my first cruise!

Have a safe and fun Trip!  I'm stoked because it is supposed to be 60 here tomorrow (Chi-Town) and I am OFF WORK!

• Love 1

I haven't had a cat since my little Martini passed a couple of years ago.  Some friends are moving in with me for a few months while their new house is being built, and their two cats have moved in first.  Oh I have forgotten about the casualties brought on by kitties.  I've had two glasses and a coffee cup broken in the last two weeks, and I almost had an unfortunate lap top accident involving orange juice.  Eddie, the "special" one flipped my screen upside down and it took me forever to remember how to undo it...lol

A couple of friends' of mine that I went to school with since elementary school were on International House Hunters because they moved to Belize.  They went there for their honeymoon 20 years ago and decided they wanted to retire early there, so they formed a plan and worked until they made it happen by age 40.

Yes, the jealousy could not be greater.  Oh and their budget was like 800,000 on the show, because they didn't want to dip into their savings.

Something has gone horribly awry in my life.

My cousin and her husband did that with my mother's dream of moving to Greece. They have a second home there, that they bought years ago. They spend several weeks there at a time, as do my Uncle and Aunt. They weren't interested in Greece,  until mum mentioned it to my cousin, back in 1990. Just before we moved back to the States. 

I saw a young-ish actress got engaged to a guy who I think is a multi-millionare, on Sunday. The usual, "I said YES" caption, of a picture of a ring. I thought, "Of course you did" because she's in the bahamas, and loving life. I like her, and I'm sure she loves him, but I really want a vacation, and I was having a bad day. 

I went and got my eyebrows did yesterday, you know how you do Nashville, and the lady left me all glumped up waxy. It's hard to scrub out! I don't know what they use, witch hazel or magic potions, but I din't have that. I'm gonna be hella caterpiller eyebrows in the ZA. 

I have company coming for the weekend which I'm sure will be fun but it's a pain the tucchus cleaning and arranging. I don't know how to entertain people. 

I went and got my eyebrows did yesterday, you know how you do Nashville, and the lady left me all glumped up waxy. It's hard to scrub out! I don't know what they use, witch hazel or magic potions, but I din't have that. I'm gonna be hella caterpiller eyebrows in the ZA. 

I know better than you might expect. :> Not to the point of applying wax to my body - not for cosmetic purposes anyway - but one of the side effects of approaching old fartdom at breakneck speed is, hair stops growing on top of your head and starts growing lotsa other places - including eyebrows. If I don't trim back my eye shrubbery every week or so, I end up with eyebrows that would make Svengali nervous.

I have company coming for the weekend which I'm sure will be fun but it's a pain the tucchus cleaning and arranging. I don't know how to entertain people.

I do - but they generally don't come back a second time....

• Love 1

I know better than you might expect. :> Not to the point of applying wax to my body - not for cosmetic purposes anyway - but one of the side effects of approaching old fartdom at breakneck speed is, hair stops growing on top of your head and starts growing lotsa other places - including eyebrows. If I don't trim back my eye shrubbery every week or so, I end up with eyebrows that would make Svengali nervous.

I do - but they generally don't come back a second time....

Teach me your tricks because people always always always want to stay at my house.

We had a miserable ass snow storm last week.  You would think with all the money they haven't spent this winter they could have kept the roads up but nope.  I woke up to a 6 foot drift at the end of my driveway Thursday morning, after totally clearing it before bed Wednesday night.  I can drive on snow, I can drive on ice, but I can't drive through drifts.  My back still hurts from clearing it, and now it's 60 today.  Getting old sucks.

• Love 1

Hi guys. I have returned but have yet to catch up on the episode I missed so I'm being super cautious around these parts. I promised I'd tell you how seasick I was on the trip but it turns out the non-swimmer who hangs out in the toddler end of the pool has sea legs. I wasn't sick at all while my room mate was ill for the first three days, despite the motion sickness pills she took. It was a little choppy but I really liked it.

Fort Lauderdale has a small and efficient airport so we were on our way to the ship in no time. The Oasis of the Sea is huge. It loomed over every other ship in each of the ports. I didn't know something that enormous could actually float. Our room had a balcony which was a bonus.

Our first port of call was Nassau in The Bahamas. We hired a driver and he gave us a tour but there wasn't much going on since it was Sunday. Then St. Thomas a day later from where I brought back a sun burn and a pretty aquamarine bracelet. Finally, Charlotte Amalie on St. Maarten where we had lunch on the beach (best fish tacos ever!) and browsed the shops. The main draw seemed to be jewellery stores way out of my budget. The bracelet I bought cost US$ 49 and I paid 32 because that what I had stashed in my bra, which amused the stall owner enough to lower his best price some. I saw a bracelet I liked in St. Maarten too but balked at the best price there - US$ 1300. The Canadian dollar is too low to consider an investment like diamonds, even little chips of diamonds.

We cruised back to Fort Launderdale for the next couple of days, taking advantage of the pools, the bars and the restaurants on board. I always thought cruises were boring but I had a really great time and I'm planning to talk my sister or BFF into one. Arrived back last night to a bracing -3 and feel now like someone ran a truck over me. I need to sleep so badly but that laundry refuses to wash itself.

Sorry to hear about snow storms and drifts and that. I didn't miss Canadian weather even a little!

• Love 3

Glad your trip was good. I went on a super cheap cruise a few years ago and even though it's not the biggest boat I didn't even feel like I was on a boat and also didn't get seasick. Seriously you can hardly tell you're floating unless there's bad weather. And usually you can score cheap booze in ports too. Whether or not you can schlep it to Canadia I don't know but also the last day on the boat before you dock the next day everything goes on sale Super cheap. So definitely if there's jewelry or tropical clothes anything you have your eye on buy it the last day.

I just spent the weekend entertaining guests and I'm exhausted. No sleep. Much drinkin but some awesome dinners. Took a touristy haunted tour that made me laugh at its stupidity. Very good time but holy crap I'll sleep like the dead tonight and grateful for quiet time. And obviously people Gotta leave before walking dead. :D

• Love 2

I'm so glad you had a good time Irishmaple! I love cruising vacations. The only vacations I ever come home from feeling relaxed are cruise vacations.

I have just hit the half way point of my current course. Studying is still hard. I am still tired. But at least I feel like I am being proactive.

Well. Must have some breakfast and head to work. See you later! :) 

Travelling with my room mate has been a revelation for me. I'm the sort of person who always needs to know I can leave when I want; I get twitchy when I catch a ride with friends to a party in the suburbs because I can't leave until my friends do! Because of this I never thought I would be comfortable with a contained environment like a ship or a resort. Having experienced both now I've found them incredibly relaxing. When I travel with my sister we explore cities and my sister is a self-described "aggressive sightseer". If it's there to be seen, we go see it. I walked miles around Barcelona when we were there, well worth it, but not exactly relaxing!

• Love 3

I've always thought about doing a cruise but I am afraid that they will have to sedate me once we reach a point you can't see land.  Seriously just thinking about it makes me anxious.

• Love 1

I didn't see land for two whole days on the return trip. Nothing but water. For miles. In every direction. It made me twitch a bit but there's at least one bar on most of the decks and isn't that what alcohol is for!

So I finally had my Walking Dead mini-marathon and, damn, some stuff happened while I was away. I'm thrilled about Richonne, iffy on Jesus and dreading Negan who sounds like a nastier version of the Governor or Joe the Claimer. Can't we just do world building and trading for a moment before unleashing the next Big Bad?

• Love 1