Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

More news:

Doctor Who Star Peter Capaldi Says Season 10 'Will Be My Last'

Personally, I barely made it through season eight, and haven't had any desire to watch season nine, so...I guess it doesn't really affect me.  I do wonder where the show is going to go from here though, since Steven Moffat is also leaving after season ten. 

I did watch The Husbands of River Song though.  I enjoyed that one. Particularly the "hello sweetie" scene.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Did the Teen Wolf people finally get their ship?

Jbuffy is really happy so I looked it up and the show is up to season 6! Did it take 6 seasons?

It took six seasons (and year and a half of the show time, I think, because TW timeline makes no sense), plus Lydia was saving Jackson with the power of her true love at the end of season 2 and then her being a prop for some rando white dudes after that because Colton Haynes left the show. Now Dylan O'Brien is no longer with Teen Wolf after 6.10 as well, they will need another random white guy for Lydia to prop, I guess...

3 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Now Dylan O'Brien is no longer with Teen Wolf after 6.10 as well, they will need another random white guy for Lydia to prop, I guess...

According to the Teen Wikia guy, who fandom tends to trust with this kind of info, that changed like, last week, and they'll now have Dylan in 6B, but no idea in what capacity, or how many episodes.

44 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

It took six seasons (and year and a half of the show time, I think, because TW timeline makes no sense), plus Lydia was saving Jackson with the power of her true love at the end of season 2 and then her being a prop for some rando white dudes after that because Colton Haynes left the show. Now Dylan O'Brien is no longer with Teen Wolf after 6.10 as well, they will need another random white guy for Lydia to prop, I guess...

Wow! That's a long time!

I always wonder if I would have been happier if they dragged out Olicity until the end instead of giving and yanking. 

1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

According to the Teen Wikia guy, who fandom tends to trust with this kind of info, that changed like, last week, and they'll now have Dylan in 6B, but no idea in what capacity, or how many episodes.

TW Wiki guy is so clueless he didn't figure out Dylan was not going to be much in 6A, even though Dylan booked another project during his absence from the show. They already filmed a number of episodes for 6B, and Dylan has his Maze Runner thing in February. I'm not holding my breathe.

The new CW/Netflix deal went into effect this week.  The first seasons of No Tomorrow and Frequency are now available.  I plan to check out Frequency this weekend if I get a chance, although I know its chances of being renewed are miniscule. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

The new CW/Netflix deal went into effect this week.  The first seasons of No Tomorrow and Frequency are now available.  I plan to check out Frequency this weekend if I get a chance, although I know its chances of being renewed are miniscule. 

I really liked Frequency!!!! I hope it gets renewed!

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I really liked Frequency!!!! I hope it gets renewed!

I actually enjoyed both of the new shows. Is there really still hope for either one?  I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the final episodes because I'm afraid I'll be stuck forever with cliffhangers.  

Also, anyone watching The 100 still?  I never finished last season after they killed off another character I liked (it started to feel pointless to watch if all they were going to do was kill everyone) but is it worth still watching or catching up on my DVR'd episodes?  Thoughts?

Edited by BkWurm1

Honestly, no, sorry. :( I will be shocked if either one gets renewed.  I don't know how they ended, though.  I think NT may have ended with a cliffhanger? Don't know about Frequency.  Hope not. :(

Edited by Starfish35
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

Honestly, no, sorry. :( I will be shocked if either one gets renewed.

Yeah, sigh, me too.  But I got Crazy Ex Girlfriend for another year so I can't be too upset.  :D

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Also, anyone watching The 100 still?  I never finished last season after they killed off another character I liked (it started to feel pointless to watch if all they were going to do was kill everyone) but is it worth still watching or catching up on my DVR'd episodes?  Thoughts?

They're probably not going to kill the main characters/leads (Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia, Raven) off?

Spoiler

Although this season is all about second nuclear apocalypse, so there's going to be a bloodbath.

Edited by CooperTV
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I actually enjoyed both of the new shows. Is there really still hope for either one?  I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the final episodes because I'm afraid I'll be stuck forever with cliffhangers.  

I finished the season,  somewhat grudgingly considering everyone I liked was murdered.   I'd say it be worth the watch for the finale,  which was nice.   I haven't decided about catching the premier tonight. 

Edit: oh,  it aired last night.   I guess I did make up my mind.   My mind said pass. 

Edited by Delphi
Time is a construct
  • Love 6

Watched the second episode of Riverdale.  Is it a bad sign that I find myself giggling with they do the super serious voice overs?  The prose is so purple and overwrought.  The conceit is that it's Jughead chronicling the goings on as the details about Jason Bloosom's death come out.  Turns out Jughead is not a very good writer, lol.  

Really the voice overs are indicative of the whole show.  The tendency to just wallow in melodrama is kind of hilarious.  And everything is treated with melodrama even when it really isn't.  Is this normal for this kind of show?  Cause it feels to me like it's extra amped-up, almost to satire levels at times.   And yet, because I am kind of laughing at half of it, I find I am kind of enjoying the other less nutty parts.  

Really, I think the writing for this show would have worked sooo much better without the drama about the murder because that's the part that is coming off as absurd.    

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Watched the second episode of Riverdale.  Is it a bad sign that I find myself giggling with they do the super serious voice overs?  The prose is so purple and overwrought.  The conceit is that it's Jughead chronicling the goings on as the details about Jason Bloosom's death come out.  Turns out Jughead is not a very good writer, lol.  

Really the voice overs are indicative of the whole show.  The tendency to just wallow in melodrama is kind of hilarious.  And everything is treated with melodrama even when it really isn't.  Is this normal for this kind of show?  Cause it feels to me like it's extra amped-up, almost to satire levels at times.   And yet, because I am kind of laughing at half of it, I find I am kind of enjoying the other less nutty parts.  

Really, I think the writing for this show would have worked sooo much better without the drama about the murder because that's the part that is coming off as absurd.    

I do think they are intentionally going for a campy feel, but haven't quite pushed the satire as far as they should.  Cheryl Blossom almost gets there.  I, too, was struck by the overwrought Jughead monologue, and don't really like the Archie or Jughead characters (sorry Cole Sprouse!).  During one of Jughead's voice overs, it struck me how unclever it was, which is a problem with Berlanti shows, generally.  I feel like all their writers are workmanlike in their dialogue, which becomes a real problem when the voiceover is supposed to be deep and meaningful.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I, too, was struck by the overwrought Jughead monologue, and don't really like the Archie or Jughead characters (sorry Cole Sprouse!).  During one of Jughead's voice overs, it struck me how unclever it was, which is a problem with Berlanti shows, generally.  I feel like all their writers are workmanlike in their dialogue, which becomes a real problem when the voiceover is supposed to be deep and meaningful.

Yeah, the voiceover comes off as trying too hard and yet saying nothing.  It reminds me of when I had to do poetry assignments in high school.  I'd just put a bunch of flowery nonsense down that even I had no idea what it was supposed to mean and the teachers wouldn't dare critique something they assumed must have deep personal meaning and grade it well.  (I really love reading, but I find most poetry overrated.  I think I'm still holding a grudge against it since according to my teacher it was the "highest form of expression" and I was offended on behalf of fiction.)

I'm probably a bit more open to Archie and Jughead's characters at this point. Archie is a tool but at the same time I don't think he means to be?  Jughead was barely in the last episode and I kind of liked his outsider status this week. At the same time, I find Archie and Jughead's friendship a little off, like it was more to this rift than Archie just flaking out on him but I liked that even though Jughead has a touch of pretension, he was the one that seemed to be able to make Archie really look at his choices.  (Dad is the one that brought it all home but Archie wouldn't have opened up to dad if Jughead hadn't got in his head.)  

Anyway, the show is kind of mindless entertainment right now and I do like Betty and even Veronica.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Starfish35 @BkWurm1

I thought the Frequency ending was decent!!!! There is scope to go further if they get renewed but they did wrap it up. 

I really liked Frequency and am bummed that it's not popular. Wonder why people didn't like it!

I really liked Frequency. Talked to a few people and we all agreed it would be great if they could make the ham radio appear with a different set of characters each season the stories wouldn't get old.

• Love 2

I get the impression the CW don't give a shit about any shows that aren't Flarrow so new shows like Frequency and No tomorrow and Riverdale aren't going to find audiences despite offering some different for the network.

I just think the CW had little to no budget or buzz to promote their new shows. I know they had a tough battle last season to secure some of their stations & markets. Maybe there just wasn't anything left. I've noticed that it's been awhile since the CW promoted their new shows. I think the Flarrowverse has been self sufficient that they just promote themselves, so it's not that the CW cares more about them, they just don't have a lot of needs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I get the impression the CW don't give a shit about any shows that aren't Flarrow so new shows like Frequency and No tomorrow and Riverdale aren't going to find audiences despite offering some different for the network.

I agree with Kismet, I think they just don't have the budget and given who seems in charge of social media, they also don't seem to understand HOW to promote their new shows beyond to the people that are already watching TV the old fashioned way.  

And frankly, even a good show has a hard time standing out with all these new platforms putting out scripted television.  Really the only hit the networks had this last season was This is Us. 

No Tomorrow stood out to me as one of the few shows I've seen in a long time that at least tried to make their characters actually likable as opposed to just tortured or just coming off an island.  But the promos for the show did not do it justice.  They focused on the doom and gloom and didn't manage to translate the sunny fun of the show and the optimism as well (which should have been at odds with the premise but really wasn't.  

I love the hour long comedy/drama but I don't think a lot of people really get the format.  

• Love 3

Finished watching Riverdale Ep 2. I loved the pep rally! Made me miss Teen bopper highschool shows. Loved everything Veronica and Betty. I love both girls and their friendship but I do find Betty slightly grating at times but not Joey Potter levels as the actress just has a sweetness puppy dog aura that makes you want to like her. Veronica is awesome though and the redeeming element of this campy OTT  meldorama of a show.

I don't know if this is unpopular opinion but I liked Cheryl even more this episode. She remind me a bit of an Abby from Dawson's Creek who stirs up trouble and I always had a secret appreciation for her brand of crazy. 

I don't think Cheryl killed Jason though I think that's a misdirect but does anyone else get twincest vibes?

I also hope they develop and flesh out Josie and the Pussy Cats in later eps as I think they have the potential to be awesome characters.

As for the boys zzzzzzzz

5 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Pedowitz is Bellarke shipper likes The 100 a lot, and stuff like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin are both bringing CW critical acclaim (despite the abysmal ratings) they're seeking.

53 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is it worth watching? How does it compare to say Gossip Girl or Vampire Diaries? 

Is it better than Pretty Little Liars (cuz I hated that!)?

Don't watch it to take it seriously because you'll be disappointed. But for some mindless entertainment that's both mockable and enjoyable it's an easy way to pass 40 minutes.

I would best describe it as Dawson's Creek meets Gossip Girl meets High School Musical meets Veronica Mars with a dash of Pretty Little Liars.

• Love 1

The closest teen show is Veronica Mars, I think. They seem to be trying for a very specific vibe that imo is derivative from stuff like Six Feet Under, or Dead Like Me, you know, something quirky noir, like they want a Bryan Fuller and/or Alan Ball aesthetic.

And it really is just like @thegirlsleuth said -- dialog and voice over are pretty mediocre, so much of the vibe falls flat because it's at odds with how people speak. This is the kind of show that REALLY needs its own language, it own vocabulary, something Buffy-like. Or Bryan Fuller-like, even. It hasn't quite worked for me yet.

• Love 1

Development of these 2 shows has apparently been pushed back a season...

CW's 'Charmed,' 'Lost Boys' Reboots Will Be Redeveloped Next Season (Exclusive)
FEBRUARY 03, 2017 12:11pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/charmed-lost-boys-reboots-will-be-redeveloped-next-season-at-cw-971889

Both projects have been rolled to the next development cycle.

With all six of its pilot pickups locked in, The CW is already looking toward next season's development cycle.

The younger-skewing network has opted to roll development on its high-profile adaptations of Charmed and The Lost Boys to next season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

With little room on its schedule, the network is sticking with six pilot orders this season — the same as last year. While neither The Lost Boys nor Charmed were among the orders, both hail from important producers to the network in Rob Thomas (iZombie) and Jennie Snyder Urman (Jane the Virgin).
Sources say the Charmed draft didn't come in the way the network had hoped and that Urman, who remains busy wrapping up the third season of the Gina Rodriguez critical darling didn't have the proper time to commit to it this season. Urman will take on a larger role in retooling Charmed for next season once she's out of the woods on showrunning Jane. Jane writers Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin penned the current draft. 
As for this year's pilot haul, the shows are evenly split between co-owners Warner Bros. Television (Life Sentence, plus Berlanti's Searchers and Fox/DC Comics import Black Lightning) and CBS Television Studios (Dynasty, Insatiable and Valor).

Edited by tv echo
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh lord I hope the Arrow forumn goes elsewhere.

Not to be unwelcoming but I have to agree.  When I first heard they had a forum I went to go sign up but then I read some of the posts and quietly backed away.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Not to be unwelcoming but I have to agree.  When I first heard they had a forum I went to go sign up but then I read some of the posts and quietly backed away.  

Yep like I mean this forum was very welcoming to me and I'm sure would be welcoming to IMDB refugees but from what I've heard that board is uber negative/trollish (I think even CanadaGraphs posts there) so you know if they find Reddit is more their flavour ... 

• Love 1

@BkWurm1 a question about your Smallville shipping days. 

Did you at some point realise your ship wasn't going to happen or did you have a glimmer of hope to the very bitter end. I ask because I saw your comment about pain in the other thread. 

Was there a point where you knew it was dead and you weren't goingto get what you wanted. 

I lost all hope after Half Blood Prince.

30 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Just the last 2 seasons sporadically because their Ollie is hooooooot!!!!!! So hoooooot! Can we have him be Felicity’s love interest?

I loved him on Emily Owen MD.

Are you enjoying it so far?

Yeah I loved Smallville Oliver. I think the fact that he wasn't the lead and therefore have to be the man pain focus allowed him to have a nice balance between comic relief and brooding hero. 

I didn't really ship on Smallville but the first ship I cared about was Oliver and Lois. They were good together. I liked Chollie and Clois to. And I never got any impression that the writers would explore Chlark but I think they could have worked under the right circumstances. But the Clark/Lois legacy is far greater and far more unshakeable then GA/BC so I think they couldn't have got away with do their own Olicity type canon shake up.

@LeighAn I am enjoying it actually! I have no particular attachment to anyone in the show though (besides HOT Oliver) so it doesn't bring out the crazy and anger in me like Arrow. It's a rather enjoyable viewing experience! 

hahaha I should probably curse Felicity for constantly making me feel outrage on her behalf! I feel like if I weren't such a Felicity fan maybe I'd be less angry and enjoy the show more!

Not really a fan of Clark. I dunno, he doesn't do much for me. Maybe because I randomly jumped in. I don't think I care for the actor very much. 

Ok well much against my better judgement (sleep what is sleep), I binged Frequency all the way through.   Wow.  Quite a ride.  I can imagine it might have been a frustrating watch week to week, but this way it was just a reeeeeeeeeeealy long suspense movie.  And up until about a minute before it ended I was still halfway convinced we were going to get a cliffhanger ending.  But it's done.  I can see the plot threads that were laid for a second season though.  

• Love 1

I never watched the movie.  I liked the show well enough for it to hook into binge-watching all 13 episodes, which is more than I can say for more critically acclaimed shows like Daredevil (I barely made it through the second episode on that one).  Not saying it's for everyone, but I enjoyed it.  Little darker than my normal tv fare, though. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2