Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Same! I thought they were finally going to bury it this season but nope. If there is one pairing with less chemistry then Oliver and Laurel, it's those two.

Longmire killed the ship I actually liked (Branch/Cady). 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Same! I thought they were finally going to bury it this season but nope. If there is one pairing with less chemistry then Oliver and Laurel, it's those two.

Longmire killed the ship I actually liked (Branch/Cady). 

Yup yup yup. Branch and Cady were my 'ship too. Stupid depressing show.

For me it's also that I can't really 'ship Walt with anyone, because I think he's ginormous asshole in general. [I wanted to save Donna from him hahaha, and I wanted Cady to punch him in the face about 50 times.] But the thing with Vic is just plain GROSS, and for whatever reason they write Vic as SUPER ANNOYING whenever her storyline becomes about him, and just. Nope. Ew.

• Love 1

Walt becomes less and less attractive as the show goes on. Just No. Vic is suffering because they won't cut off that stupid tease. The scene with Vic and Donna made me cringe so hard. I can't believe how they wrote Vic. 

I had to google Longmire to figure out what you were talking about. Then I had to try and find the show I confused it with - Rosewood. I don't watch either show. How the confusion happened, I haven't a clue.

18 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

To all those wary of the second season of Poldark, I can at least recommend watching the first two hours of it.  Absolutely nothing icky in it with Ross or Elizabeth or Demelza.  It's all about his trial.   Actually you could watch it and consider it a conclusion of the whole series if you are willing to ignore a few loose ends.  I might just do that.  As they say, the key to a happy ending is to know when to stop telling the story.  Or in this case, watching it.  ;)

I've loved the 4 episodes I've seen of S2 and if it's any consolation re: the earlier concerns people were having

the producers have confirmed that the questionable scene from the book is going to be changed for the show although it will be blatantly consensual so Ross still does cheat on his wife.

• Love 1

I didn't think they'd 

Spoiler

completely leave it out. It would likely change too much of the future story. But I think it's a good call. 2016 isn't really the right time to have your hero in a dubious consent scenario if you want him to remain the least bit likeable.

• Love 1

Yeah, my issues are all about the 

Spoiler

cheating.  Just ruins his character for me.  His integrity is gone at that point.  Changes how I'd look at him.  

He stops being heroic at that point IMO and if you are not rooting for the hero of the story, what's the point in watching?

• Love 3

Yeah.  I'm willing to accept that 

Spoiler

cheaters are okay people in other aspects of their lives.  They might even be heroic in business or civll rights, etc.  However, they will never be a ROMANTIC hero to me again.

A big part of my interest in Poldark is the Dezmelza romance.

• Love 2

In the case of Ross Poldark, they've built him up as uncompromising in what he believes and and defined him by that part of his personality and made it a part of why we are to root for him which is why I have a hard time reconciling him still being a hero after 

Spoiler

breaking what I thought was an important vow and matter of utmost honor.  If we'd never seen him move past Elizabeth perhaps I might be less disillusioned, but she didn't seem to even be on his mind after the first half of the first season.  And Demelza never seemed to leave it.  So it's a huge disconnect.

Edited by BkWurm1

Regarding This is Us' second episode, first of all, thank you for that scene on the treadmill, Sterling K. Brown. Wow.

On a less shallow note, the tie-in with the past was really great. Clear, but not overdone IMO.

Spoiler

There's Kevin always needing approval and that tying in with his career choice, Randall obviously modelling his fatherhood after Jack, and Rebecca actually trying to help Kate be healthy and happy instead of causing her body issues. 

Beth is da bomb. I still dislike Toby and Miguel, you twerp.

I'm actually glad that Randall not interacting with his siblings in the pilot was in service of more than just the twist. It's sad, but more meaningful. Also, was it revealed in the pilot where they originate from? There's not just the emotional distance, but some physical distance as well. I'm just not clear who moved away.

• Love 2

All I've got to say is just damn about the newest This is Us, big reveal in the last few secs although I saw it coming earlier in the episode. Now I'm really curious though what happened between

Spoiler

Mandy & Milo's relationship. Death? Cheating? Excess Drinking? Divorce? Tragedy? Was it when the kids were young or old, did that impact their adult issues? Although they do need to do something better with Mandy's old version wig, that was pretty bad.

I did love that the separation in the pilot was not just for plot purposes. It actually had narrative purposes. I enjoy shows that take the time to actually be thoughtful and not just twisty. It shows they sincerely care about their characters. Which is not something a lot of showrunners say, but not something I believe they sincerely mean.

And on that note, I think I figured out another reason "This is Us" is a show that appeals to me and that will be successful. It involves Ken Olin as both a producer and director. I hope that he continues to have an involved role. He was great in many of his other shows like Alias and Brothers & Sisters.

Speaking of guest starts - Kudos to them on getting Katy Segal & Brad Garrett, enjoyed them both. Also, I do not know how I feel about Miguel. But I LOVE to see Jon Huertas back on my TV!!! RIP Castle :( I wonder when he secured the role?

All in All, I think the show has the makings of a great show & appointment TV! It has phenomenal writing & acting.

• Love 1

Regarding seeing Ross as a romantic hero...

I knew this was going to happen as I watched last season and it's actually a pitfall that the new producers (at least in part) likely didn't see coming.  In the book series Ross was never meant to be seen as unfailingly in love with Demelza.  He was the very definition of a flawed man.  A lot of the things people see of him in the newest TV series (the stubbornness, his relationship with his wife etc.) aren't shown as clean and perfect in the books.  I think a lot of the romanticization of the character was by sheer accident because of the scorching hot chemistry between Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson and the lack between Aidan and Heida Reed.  The actors and producers played that up too much in Series 1 and the audience responded in kind.  The problem is that it doesn't jive with the reality of Ross and how he reacts to both Demelza and Elizabeth in the books.  His marriage to Demelza is complicated and his obsession with Elizabeth is a lot more pronounced.  The TV producers have written themselves into a corner in this regard in that they've overplayed Ross's marriage, underplayed the tie to his former flame, and made him the noble hero.  As a result it's going to make the whole affair with Elizabeth really hard for a lot of people who don't read the series to understand and overcome, IMO.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

re: This Is Us, this is not technically a spoiler, but tag just in case:

Spoiler

They cut a line from the broadcast pilot that mentioned Jack's death. The pilot they sent to press contained it. No idea if they changed their minds about him being dead, or it was just so the ~twist in the second ep could land better.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, kismet said:

All I've got to say is just damn about the newest This is Us, big reveal in the last few secs although I saw it coming earlier in the episode. Now I'm really curious though what happened between

Hide contents

Mandy & Milo's relationship. Death? Cheating? Excess Drinking? Divorce? Tragedy? Was it when the kids were young or old, did that impact their adult issues? Although they do need to do something better with Mandy's old version wig, that was pretty bad.

Speaking of guest starts - Kudos to them on getting Katy Segal & Brad Garrett, enjoyed them both. 

Spoiler

I'm firmly in the death camp. If it were cheating or drinking, I don't think Rebecca would still be wearing the necklace almost 30 years after she got it. And would her second husband be cool with her wearing it if the first was still around? Also, Randall remarked to Kevin that, "mom and dad didn't raise any whores". Plus, the kids still do his chant. He's obviously a beloved figure amongst his family. I am confused about the time of his passing. Kevin's comment to Randall about owing him a call after the thing lead me to believe Jack's passing is recent. It also played into my theory why Randall chose this particular time to look for William. The girls calling Miguel grandpa throws that out the window.

I love Katey Segal regardless, but I adored her for the hat comment and making him take it off.

@dtissagirl, thanks for the insider info.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

re: This Is Us, this is not technically a spoiler, but tag just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

They cut a line from the broadcast pilot that mentioned Jack's death. The pilot they sent to press contained it. No idea if they changed their minds about him being dead, or it was just so the ~twist in the second ep could land better.

Thanks for that information. I don't know what their intentions were. But I do think it opened up the story and allows them to write a good story as opposed to being stuck to a certain outcome. It makes the show better. It was a good choice to cut that scene.

Agreed. Even if they ultimately decide to do it, it works better this early in the show to leave it unclear.

I'm also impressed so far that they're not doing that dumb shit Arrow does re: flashbacks that uses the past scenes to provide character development in present time, which: IT DOESN'T WORK. I can barely even call the Jack & Rebecca scenes "flashbacks". It's more like parallel storytelling, that just so happens to inform the grown up kids' stories. I hope they don't lose sight of that as the show progresses.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, bijoux said:
  Hide contents

I'm firmly in the death camp. If it were cheating or drinking, I don't think Rebecca would still be wearing the necklace almost 30 years after she got it. And would her second husband be cool with her wearing it if the first was still around? Also, Randall remarked to Kevin that, "mom and dad didn't raise any whores". Plus, the kids still do his chant. He's obviously a beloved figure amongst his family. I am confused about the time of his passing. Kevin's comment to Randall about owing him a call after the thing lead me to believe Jack's passing is recent. It also played into my theory why Randall chose this particular time to look for William. The girls calling Miguel grandpa throws that out the window.

Agree with a lot of your hidden thoughts. It does make me wonder so much though because like you said certain things throw that out the window. I also find it interesting the word choice between the girls & Randall in that moment. I don't honestly know what is happening. But I'm invested in the journey to figure it out. Part of me thinks that we won't get much of a hint on timeline next week. I think it is going to be a slow & non-linear reveal of info & puzzle pieces.

I also think there is the potential that they were raised near NYC

Spoiler

which is why Justin Hartley's character moving back to do theater is more than just a career choice. I also think there is the potential that Jack is alive in NYC, if they are doing an undead Jack. Even a dead Jack, moving back home is still more of a loaded choice.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Regarding seeing Ross as a romantic hero...

Hide contents

I knew this was going to happen as I watched last season and it's actually a pitfall that the new producers (at least in part) likely didn't see coming.  In the book series Ross was never meant to be seen as unfailingly in love with Demelza.  He was the very definition of a flawed man.  A lot of the things people see of him in the newest TV series (the stubbornness, his relationship with his wife etc.) aren't shown as clean and perfect in the books.  I think a lot of the romanticization of the character was by sheer accident because of the scorching hot chemistry between Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson and the lack between Aidan and Heida Reed.  The actors and producers played that up too much in Series 1 and the audience responded in kind.  The problem is that it doesn't jive with the reality of Ross and how he reacts to both Demelza and Elizabeth in the books.  His marriage to Demelza is complicated and his obsession with Elizabeth is a lot more pronounced.  The TV producers have written themselves into a corner in this regard in that they've overplayed Ross's marriage, underplayed the tie to his former flame, and made him the noble hero.  As a result it's going to make the whole affair with Elizabeth really hard for a lot of people who don't read the series to understand and overcome, IMO.

Honestly the only way I could possibly believe it at this point is if Ross is extremely drunk when it happens. Like...black-out. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

Honestly the only way I could possibly believe it at this point is if Ross is extremely drunk when it happens. Like...black-out. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

Well I will say that

the producers at least attempt to show more chinks in Ross and Demelza's marriage in the next few episodes but it's still not going to be enough to overcome how they've built them up.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

@NumberCruncher, I have a book question, if you'd be willing to explain:

Spoiler

Did they *need* the affair as a plot point to continue the story in the books? Like, is it a plot point that developed into a whole lot of story that couldn't happen without Ross screwing Elizabeth? I dunno, does she get pregnant, does someone blackmail them -- is it pivotal to the story continuing?

I'm trying to figure out why the show producers would be willing to screw up their internal narrative for an external plot point. Because this feels like MUST FOLLOW COMIC BOOK CANON levels of dumb to me. [Tbh, I didn't even know there were books when I watched S1.]

19 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

@NumberCruncher, I have a book question, if you'd be willing to explain:

Reveal hidden contents

Did they *need* the affair as a plot point to continue the story in the books? Like, is it a plot point that developed into a whole lot of story that couldn't happen without Ross screwing Elizabeth? I dunno, does she get pregnant, does someone blackmail them -- is it pivotal to the story continuing?

I'm trying to figure out why the show producers would be willing to screw up their internal narrative for an external plot point. Because this feels like MUST FOLLOW COMIC BOOK CANON levels of dumb to me. [Tbh, I didn't even know there were books when I watched S1.]

I didn't read the books but I accidentally read some spoilers about that and the answer to your question is yes..if you want to be spoiled too I can get into details.

4 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I didn't read the books but I accidentally read some spoilers about that and the answer to your question is yes..if you want to be spoiled too I can get into details.

Yeah, spoil away. I kinda think I'm done watching the show anyway, haha. Last episode felt like a finale and everything.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:
  Hide contents

As you guessed she gets pregnant..I'm so looking forward to watching that, hahaha. At least I know..

HAHAHA LOL *removes show from TV Cal schedule and download schedule and erases it from existence in my life*

[Thank you!]

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

HAHAHA LOL *removes show from TV Cal schedule and download schedule and erases it from existence in my life*

[Thank you!]

I understand your sentiment.  I'm still willing to watch but that's because the books focus on a lot of different characters and their stories and I'm interested in those as well.  Ross and Demelza kind of hold everything together but there are so many other plotlines going on.  The new TV series doesn't really reflect that as much which is why I think a lot of people will be disappointed but I do see where the producers are starting to focus more on

the beginnings of Dwight and Caroline's love story.

• Love 1

It really boils down to them shifting focus to the one character I find unwatchable. I was enjoying Dwight and Caroline plenty, and I've been finding Francis awesome this season, but I'd rather cut my losses than have to watch the unwatchable chick.

6 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

It really boils down to them shifting focus to the one character I find unwatchable. I was enjoying Dwight and Caroline plenty, and I've been finding Francis awesome this season, but I'd rather cut my losses than have to watch the unwatchable chick.

For the record, I'm really loving this version of Francis as well, but I totally respect your reason for quitting. :) 

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

I read the entire Poldark book series. SPOILERS regarding Ross, Elizabeth, Francis, George and Demelza...

Last warning - HUGE, HUGE, HUGE SPOILERS!!!! - Don't read if you don't want to know!

Francis dies in an accident. George proposes marriage to Elizabeth. Ross only sleeps with Elizabeth once. My impression has always been that he does that more as a last ditch effort to stop Elizabeth from marrying George Warleggan than out of any huge desire for her, although maybe it's mixed up with his unconsummated old love for her.  Elizabeth goes ahead and marries George anyway. She becomes pregnant and has a son, Valentine, who everyone believes to be George's son (though it's always clear to the reader that this is Ross' son).  A few years later, when Valentine is a child, her other son Geoffrey Charles (father was Francis) makes a remark about how much Valentine looks like his 'uncle' Ross.  This careless remark poisons Elizabeth's entire marriage to George, especially since Valentine was born early at 8 months. So when Elizabeth becomes pregnant again with George's child, she is so anxious to assuage George's doubts as to Valentine being his son and to secure Valentine's future as George's heir that she takes desperate measures to have this second child born early as well.  She goes to see some quack and gets a potion.  She takes the potion and her daughter, Ursula Warleggan, is born early - just like Valentine.  However, this potion poisons her and she gets gangrene in her limbs. When the doctor asks her if she took anything (in order to figure out how to help save her), George is by her bedside so she doesn't want to confess about the potion. She says 'no'. Basically, she chooses her child over her own life.  Elizabeth dies.  Later in the saga, Demelza has her own affair with a sensitive young lieutenant (also a one-time thing) who's dying of a brain tumor.  However, Demelza and Ross stay together and are never unfaithful to each other again.  They have, I believe, two or three children.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Thanks, tv echo.  I guess, at the end the day, everything depends upon how faithful the producers of the TV series are to the books.  They've already made some changes--most notably in the Mark/Keren storyline back in S1--but I can't see them deviating in a dramatic way on major plot points and character deaths due to the notoriety of the book series (not here in the US but definitely in the UK).  Who knows though?  Stranger things have been known to happen. 

For the record, although Ross & Demelza started off as my fave couple, the couple that later really tugged at my heartstrings involved two characters who haven't been introduced yet on the TV series:

Drake and Morwenna (Demelza's brother and Elizabeth's cousin).

• Love 1

Thanks for the spoilers, tv echo.

Regarding Poldark

I'm actually regretting watching this right now.  Those spoilers sound awful.  Now I just have to figure out if I should spoil my sister or not.  We watch together on Sunday nights, so I can't just give it up without telling her why.  Ugh, decisions. 

Can I ask what happens with Dwight and Caroline? I really enjoyed them in the premiere.  Maybe they'll give me reason to keep watching (probably not, based on the way Ross/Demelza goes).

Edited by JenMD

SPOILERS regarding Dwight and Caroline from the Poldark series...

I didn't mean to dampen your enthusiasm for the series.  I don't think it's ever in doubt that Ross & Demelza love each other.  Just other stuff happens.  As I said, Ross' thing with Elizabeth seemed to be a combination of desperation to keep something bad from happening (in his eyes, her marrying George) and old love. Demelza's thing with the young lieutenant seemed to be more of a pity thing.  He was so in love with her and more her own age. Also, the TV show may not follow the books.

To the best of my recollection, Dr. Dwight Enys, a poor but honorable doctor and good friend to Ross, first has a fling with a young miner's wife - leading to her husband killing her. Later, Dr. Enys meets Caroline Penvenen, a rich and spoiled young woman (she eventually becomes good friends with both Ross and Demelza), when she asks him to treat her sick dog. They have a somewhat contentious relationship but fall in love, something happens and they separate.  Some time later, Dr. Enys is rescued by Ross and others from a French prison.  He and Caroline then marry and have a couple children.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Thanks, tv echo

You didn't dampen my enthusiasm!  The show did it all on its own.  I had seen a few book spoilers after last year's season ended about Ross and Elizabeth that made me leery but I decided to just hope they wouldn't go there.  Now that I know the show is going there with Ross and Elizabeth, I appreciate knowing more about what transpires after.  I may just hang on until the show gets to that part so I don't spoil my sister and then jump off.  It's not even just Ross and Demelza but Elizabeth (who I don't even particularly like) married to George, ugh.  Which, of course, means Francis bites it.  I suppose I can take some comfort in the fact that Dwight and Caroline eventually end up together, but I probably won't be watching by then.  

This show doesn't have its hooks in me like Arrow does, so I'm not going to be too crushed to pass on it eventually.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I read the entire Poldark book series. SPOILERS regarding Ross, Elizabeth, Francis, George and Demelza...

Last warning - HUGE, HUGE, HUGE SPOILERS!!!! - Don't read if you don't want to know!

Hide contents

Francis dies in an accident. George proposes marriage to Elizabeth. Ross only sleeps with Elizabeth once. My impression has always been that he does that more as a last ditch effort to stop Elizabeth from marrying George Warleggan than out of any huge desire for her, although maybe it's mixed up with his unconsummated old love for her.  Elizabeth goes ahead and marries George anyway. She becomes pregnant and has a son, Valentine, who everyone believes to be George's son (though it's always clear to the reader that this is Ross' son).  A few years later, when Valentine is a child, her other son Geoffrey Charles (father was Francis) makes a remark about how much Valentine looks like his 'uncle' Ross.  This careless remark poisons Elizabeth's entire marriage to George, especially since Valentine was born early at 8 months. So when Elizabeth becomes pregnant again with George's child, she is so anxious to assuage George's doubts as to Valentine being his son and to secure Valentine's future as George's heir that she takes desperate measures to have this second child born early as well.  She goes to see some quack and gets a potion.  She takes the potion and her daughter, Ursula Warleggan, is born early - just like Valentine.  However, this potion poisons her and she gets gangrene in her limbs. When the doctor asks her if she took anything (in order to figure out how to help save her), George is by her bedside so she doesn't want to confess about the potion. She says 'no'. Basically, she chooses her child over her own life.  Elizabeth dies.  Later in the saga, Demelza has her own affair with a sensitive young lieutenant (also a one-time thing) who's dying of a brain tumor.  However, Demelza and Ross stay together and are never unfaithful to each other again.  They have, I believe, two or three children.

Book Ross 

Spoiler

is really kind of an idiot, isn't he? How was sexing Elizabeth up supposed to have prevented her from marrying George. Because she could have wound up pregnant like she did and then be even more inclined to find someone to claim as the baby daddy, and George was right there. I don't get Ross' logic at all. Did he think he'd give it to her so good she wouldn't want it anywhere else?

• Love 1

I'd also say Lethal Weapon was enjoyable.   Not sure a buddy cop show will hold my attention but for what it was, I liked it. Easy to watch.  Entertaining enough.  

Second episode of Speechless wasn't as funny as the first but still good.  I'll keep watching.  

I kind of liked Notorious.  Have the second episode in my DVR so my opinion is only based on the pilot. Liked that the main character is ruthless but not a backstabber nor disloyal.   Plus she didn't blame the messenger and that got big points from me.  A nice change.  

Macgyver is terrible. I said it before but Macgyver was so bad it needed to be said again.  

Oh, Pitch!  Not sure the show can sustain the current narrative but I liked what I've seen so far. Strongly drawn secondary characters as well.  I will confess I might be biased. The lead actress is a home town girl.  :D 

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh, Pitch!  Not sure the show can sustain the current narrative but I liked what I've seen so far. Strongly drawn secondary characters as well.  I will confess I might be biased. The lead actress is a home town girl.  :D 

Pitch has been good, so it's not bias talking.  Kylie Bunbury has been fantastic as Ginny, and Mark Paul Gosselar has been just as fantastic as Lawson.  Really smart move the show made by having those 2 do the heavy lifting.

• Love 2

Gilmore Girls rewatch update: Christopher and Dean are totally cut from the same jerk cloth. I don't know whether these episodes were back to back or just close together. But in one episode Christopher brings Sherry to SH and Lorelai ends up admitting it to herself and then him that she had subconsciously sabotaged her relationships because she thought they would end up together when he got his life in order, but she was very happy for him that he got himself together and was with Sherry. And he loses it on her in front of a good part of Lorelai's friends and neighbors, most if not all of whom see him for the first time then. Sookie didn't even know what he looked like at the begininng of the episode. 

In the second episode in question Rory plans a night alone while Lorelai is away with Emily and her plans get blown out of water by Paris, Jess and finally Dean showing up. And there is Dean screaming at Rory in front of Paris. I just hate both of them, not only for screaming at these two but humiliating them in front of their friends. Jackasses.

• Love 1

I wasn't going to watch because I hate remakes but I caved and watched Lethal Weapon.  I'm surprised at how entertaining it was.

I also watched Designated Survivor, once I got over my "OMG Jack Bauer would have tortured someone by now" thoughts it was a good show. I like seeing Keifer as the mild manored non political type whose struggling with now being President. My only complaint is the oending family drama with Drug Dealing First Son.

We've already talked about This is Us so I'll skip it for now. I'm waiting for Westworld and Conviction to start, I  want to give both of them a look.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I'm another who really, really enjoyed Lethal Weapon. And then in order of enjoyment, really liked  Speechless, Designated Survivor, and The Good Place

I'm unsure if I'm going to give Westworld a try, but I'll watch at least one ep of Conviction, solely for Haley Atwell, but the description doesn't do anything for me.  I am looking forward to Frequency, mostly because I love the movie, so we'll see how they do.  Oh, and No Tomorrow is set just out of curiosity, the little I've read has been positive, so I'll give it a go.

• Love 1