Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I am so jealous, we don't have costco here on the Sunny Coast, I don't even have an Aldi close, just a small Coles with beachside prices and a larger (but still smaller than average) Woolies. 

We have lizards in the house. No pantry moths, but I do keep everything sealed in containers or snap lock bags, and lots of stuff gets kept in the fridge because here in the tropics stuff like bread can get mouldy overnight the first day you bring it home.

i have heard the best way to get rid of a pantry moth investation is to put one drop of pennyroyal essential oil in a bucket of water and wipe down all surfaces. But it's not recommended for pregnant woman. Apparently cardboard is something that can attract/keep them around. They also don't like strong peppermint smells, so making a super strong peppermint tea and wiping the shelves down can help get rid of them.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you like Aldi MAISYDAISY?

I find that they don't stock any brands I like and their home brand is not great. 

OMG do you not get the specials in the Coles Catalogue???? Noooooo I would freak out! I love my specials!!!! Almost everything goes on special at some point! The boys are banned from Coles because they buy stuff I can get for half price at full price!

Costco is fun but it's not that cheap with pantry items imo. Their meat and fish is superb though! And cheap!!! My wagyu beef is $20 a kilo cheaper than the butchers sell it for!

I'm procrastinating! Got 3kg of pork mince that I need to turn into Viet sausage! I want to cry!

CBS Fall Schedule:

MONDAY
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 9JKL
9 pm Kevin Can Wait
9: 30 ME MYSELF & I
10 pm Scorpion

MONDAY (after Thursday Night Football concludes in late October)
8 pm Kevin Can Wait
8:30 9JKL
9 pm ME MYSELF & I
9: 30 Superior Donuts
10 pm Scorpion

TUESDAY
8 pm NCIS
9  pm Bull
10 pm NCIS: New Orleans

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Survivor
9 pm SEAL TEAM
10 pm Criminal Minds

THURSDAY
8 pm Thursday Night Football

THURSDAY (after football concludes)
8 pm The Big Bang Theory
8:30 pm YOUNG SHELDON
9 pm Mom
9:30 Life in Pieces
10 pm S.W.A.T.

FRIDAY
8 pm Macgyver 
9 pm Hawaii Five-0
10 pm Blue Bloods

SATURDAY
8 pm Crimetime Saturday (drama series encores)
9 pm Crimetime Saturday (drama series encores)
10 pm 48 Hours

SUNDAY
7 pm 60 Minutes
8 pm WISDOM OF THE CROWD
9 pm NCIS: Los Angeles
10 pm Madam Secretary 

http://tvline.com/2017/05/17/cbs-fall-tv-schedule-2017-lineup-young-sheldon/

3 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

I am so jealous, we don't have costco here on the Sunny Coast, I don't even have an Aldi close, just a small Coles with beachside prices and a larger (but still smaller than average) Woolies. 

We have lizards in the house. No pantry moths, but I do keep everything sealed in containers or snap lock bags, and lots of stuff gets kept in the fridge because here in the tropics stuff like bread can get mouldy overnight the first day you bring it home.

i have heard the best way to get rid of a pantry moth investation is to put one drop of pennyroyal essential oil in a bucket of water and wipe down all surfaces. But it's not recommended for pregnant woman. Apparently cardboard is something that can attract/keep them around. They also don't like strong peppermint smells, so making a super strong peppermint tea and wiping the shelves down can help get rid of them.

I suspect moth balls would work as well.  Though all I can confirms is that they ward off snakes and mice. 

DACI6LUW0AAqJJZ.jpg:large

I can almost give them a pass at shows with female leads if they are including the CW but BEHIND the camera?  That's just a delusional comment.  Nobody is doing a good job of that.  

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I suspect moth balls would work as well.  Though all I can confirms is that they ward off snakes and mice.

Moth balls ward me off too.  Also, they're toxic.

I find lavender works well for keeping moths out of your winter clothes, and works for bookworms too.  (Sorry, @BkWurm1) I'm going to try pennyroyal oil now.

I think as a strategy, it's important to have woman behind the camera and behind the keyboard but if the real decisions are being made by men, it's not going to help.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Moth balls ward me off too.  Also, they're toxic.

I find lavender works well for keeping moths out of your winter clothes, and works for bookworms too.  (Sorry, @BkWurm1) I'm going to try pennyroyal oil now.

I think as a strategy, it's important to have woman behind the camera and behind the keyboard but if the real decisions are being made by men, it's not going to help.

Ha, I actually do have an aversion to lavender.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ha, I actually do have an aversion to lavender.  

Do they try to put lavender in food over there? They do here! Sooooo gross!

I do like a fresh lavender to sniff sometimes though!

I've never had any in food but I went to see Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 last weekend (very good and very funny) and they had lavender honey ice cream in the movie.

I have a lavendar pillor spray which does help me fall asleep.  I also found out during an outdoor dinner last summer that it work as a bug spray

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That's too bad - that's one of the few new potential shows that got a flicker of interest from me.  Not kidding, I haven't seen one new show yet that I'm interested in checking out.  

Same here. In fact there's not one CBS show I want to see.  ABC doing a Grey's Anatomy spin-off set in a firehouse -- no thanks.

We still get the Coles specials @Mellowyellow, but everything else is slightly more expensive than other places, and things get more expensive Fri, Sat, Sun. Like butternut pumpkin will be 99c per kilo on Thursday, but the exact same pile of them will be $4 per kilo on Friday and the weekend. Happens during school holidays too.

I haven't been to an Aldi's in years, but I notice in junk mail that stuff like their English spinach and butter/cheese etc are quite a bit cheaper than what I pay. We don't eat much packaged stuff so I would like to just buy the staples there if it wasn't a busy 30 min drive away.

I LOVE lavender flavored things. I once worked at a 'fashion cafe' and the designer was releasing a perfume, and to celebrate we all got bottles and a box of chocolates that were flavored with traditional scents- like lavender, rose, Sandalwood (which was yuk). The Rose and lavender were really nice, and I have loved both ever since. I mean Rose flavored Turkish delight is the best thing ever. 

58 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do they try to put lavender in food over there? They do here! Sooooo gross!

I do like a fresh lavender to sniff sometimes though!

Fresh lavender is usually ok, but I usually find it overpowering in air fresheners or perfumes.  I always feel like I'm breathing scented dust. 

In fresheners and perfumes, it may be all the added chemical.  I get the dried flowers.

I turned on one of my favourite radio shows tonight and they were doing a documentary on Why "Buffyworld" still matters as people who study Buffy academically tell me why I am right to love the show.  Interesting parallels to 2017.

"There's no question that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the most influential series in American television history and looking back 20 years later, we see the echoes of its legacy." -- Michael Zyrd

"The thing about Buffy is you can't slot it - it's a teen show, a super-hero show, an adult drama - actually it's a work of art." -- Emily Nussbaum

What's with Thurs at 9p??? I get NBC wanting to make a move on the weakening TGIT with Scandal in its last season and HTAGWM's saved by Viola Davis's involvement. by moving This is Us & placing the new Law & Order - American Crime Story rip-off there. But surely programmers realize that there are other nights and time slots??? And now CW decides to stupidly move Arrow there? All I can say is that I think they are trying to both capitalize on Supernatural's lead-in as well as put Arrow in a time-out. Since I really think that is where the CW puts the old shows it's just not that into anymore. Either that or they just want to force the streaming numbers to increase.

Not impressed with upfronts this year... nothing new for the fall really looks that amazing. And the schedulers have moved too many of the few shows I have left around to inconvenient and often clashing times. Looks like it might be another DOA fall TV season for me. Well at least there is always hope for the midseason, which looks like it does have some interesting potential players new & old.

The Five Year Engagement is one of those films that fell through the cracks with me, but I do recall good reviews at the time of its release. I've got to say, overall, I'm not really impressed. It's not all bad, far from it, but it falls apart with Tom and Violet's relationship IMO, which is kinda a problem, seeing as it's the main focus. It basically works as a comedy, but not a romantic comedy. Spoilers for a five year old movie ahead.

By the time they broke up, I felt nothing. And quite frankly, it felt like a chance for them to live out their fantasies without cheating on the other, only they discovered that the objects of their fantasies weren't what they imagined. And this, I suppose, meant they were the loves of each other's lives. ?

Also in the negative column, Tom's facial hair during his depressed period. That was so weird and creepy. How did no hair grow on his chin?! I guess Violet was so checked out by that point that she didn't even register how disgusting it was. Then again, she did fall for Rhys Ifans' lame theatrics at the tender age of like 28, which is when I really lost faith in her.

That said, the cast was great, all the parents were terrific, I enjoyed Violet's colleagues, the procession of Mindy Kaling's boy toys, the knitted tux and the guys planning the wedding were awesome (it actually looked like a very nice, classy affair they were planning), and Alison Brie is a treasure. The movie is worth watching for the masterpiece that is the Elmo/Cookie Monster scene. C is for condom! ?

12 hours ago, bijoux said:

The Five Year Engagement is one of those films that fell through the cracks with me, but I do recall good reviews at the time of its release. I've got to say, overall, I'm not really impressed. It's not all bad, far from it, but it falls apart with Tom and Violet's relationship IMO, which is kinda a problem, seeing as it's the main focus. It basically works as a comedy, but not a romantic comedy. Spoilers for a five year old movie ahead.

By the time they broke up, I felt nothing. And quite frankly, it felt like a chance for them to live out their fantasies without cheating on the other, only they discovered that the objects of their fantasies weren't what they imagined. And this, I suppose, meant they were the loves of each other's lives. ?

Also in the negative column, Tom's facial hair during his depressed period. That was so weird and creepy. How did no hair grow on his chin?! I guess Violet was so checked out by that point that she didn't even register how disgusting it was. Then again, she did fall for Rhys Ifans' lame theatrics at the tender age of like 28, which is when I really lost faith in her.

That said, the cast was great, all the parents were terrific, I enjoyed Violet's colleagues, the procession of Mindy Kaling's boy toys, the knitted tux and the guys planning the wedding were awesome (it actually looked like a very nice, classy affair they were planning), and Alison Brie is a treasure. The movie is worth watching for the masterpiece that is the Elmo/Cookie Monster scene. C is for condom! ?

I agree about the romantic aspect being a let down.  I don't even remember how it ended, just that watching it was a huge downer.  

I've watched the first two episodes f the Anne of Green Gables remake and even though I love love LOVE the original mini series and have watched it only about a gazillion times I'm actually enjoying the new take. I think they capture the spirit of Anne and the Cuthberts for modern veiwers. I was wondering they were going to turn Anne into this brooding emo chick to make it "grittier" and take away all the spirit an imagination and idealism that makes Anne. However while they have flashbacks to Anne's dark childhood that you see affects her, which makes the adaption gritter, I actually am okay with it because I think it informs as to why Anne is so invested in her make believe world and the need to escape her past memories with made up ones. 

I still prefer the original only because of Megan Fellows and Jonathan Crombie together as Anne and Gilbert but so far I don't feel the new version ruins anything for me.

43 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I've watched the first two episodes f the Anne of Green Gables remake and even though I love love LOVE the original mini series and have watched it only about a gazillion times I'm actually enjoying the new take. I think they capture the spirit of Anne and the Cuthberts for modern veiwers. I was wondering they were going to turn Anne into this brooding emo chick to make it "grittier" and take away all the spirit an imagination and idealism that makes Anne. However while they have flashbacks to Anne's dark childhood that you see affects her, which makes the adaption gritter, I actually am okay with it because I think it informs as to why Anne is so invested in her make believe world and the need to escape her past memories with made up ones. 

I still prefer the original only because of Megan Fellows and Jonathan Crombie together as Anne and Gilbert but so far I don't feel the new version ruins anything for me.

That's encouraging.  The preview didn't inspire much confidence. 

I did read though that one of the women behind it (and just having women behind it WAS encouraging) was actually the actress turned director/producer that played Josie Pyle in the old mini series.  She conveyed both a genuine love for the old series and explained why they wanted to bring the new one to a modern audience.  So I was comforted some. 

(edited)

Oh wow I did realise the actress who played Josie was involved. I do think they are trying to have a respect for the source material even though they've tried to make it edgier.

I do think the trailer made the show look more darker then it is.

I think you have to go into it not expecting it to be like the old adaption or comparing it too much. The characters and the plot is still very much the same its just they expanded on it more and explore the isolation Anne experiences as an orphan in a conservative town at time when orphans were veiwed as second class citizens. So it's dark in that way but they still explore her imaginative spirited optimistic side and her love for Marrila and Matthew.

Im on to the fourth episode now and while it gets a tiny bit darker in terms of Anne's lack of acceptance by the community and her mental state as a result; I kind of find the exploration of a different part of Anne's character interesting TBH, even though I still prefer the original series.

There is one thing that I'm super worried about that could ruin everything for me but I'll have to watch more to see if my gut worry is right or not. 

Edited by LeighAn
33 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

There is one thing that I'm super worried about that could ruin everything for me but I'll have to watch more to see if my gut worry is right or not. 

Keep us informed?  I might still watch even if there's a big negative (hey, I kept watching Arrow after all) but I'd like to be forewarned. 

I love LMM books and I've read them a zillion times each but I'm still annoyed at Gilbert about his Aunt Mary Maria.

And I hated that Teddy was once engaged to Ilse. And I didn't buy that Perry loved IIse.

The Blue Castle is and always will be my favourite LMM novel of all time. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Keep us informed?  I might still watch even if there's a big negative (hey, I kept watching Arrow after all) but I'd like to be forewarned. 

Im not gonna say it just yet cause I don't want to prejudice anyone on the show but yeah it's a niggling concern I have that I have to keep watching to see if I'm reading too much into things yet.

• Love 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I love LMM books and I've read them a zillion times each but I'm still annoyed at Gilbert about his Aunt Mary Maria.

And I hated that Teddy was once engaged to Ilse. And I didn't buy that Perry loved IIse.

The Blue Castle is and always will be my favourite LMM novel of all time. 

I ADORE Blue Castle.  The Emily trilogy right behind it. 

And no, Teddy clearly wasn't in love with Isle, but they were lonely and they both were pretty and successful so why not if he couldn't have the one he really loved.  Lol.  I did buy that Perry loved Isle but I thought that from the start. They both just had an odd way of showing it. Oh that tortured me, that last book.  And yet I kept reading it again and again. 

Random info, when I had to chose a name for my German class in high school, I was delighted to see Ilse on the list of options.  Only, it turned out that I had spent years misreading it as "Isle" and just as long mispronouncing in my head as aisles (as in walk down the plural aisles).  I hated that for two years I had to answer to ill-sa.  It was too sing-songy and wasn't at all the romantic name I thought it was, lol.     

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Wow!  I didn't think anyone else in the world besides me loved The Blue Castle more than the Anne series.  I've sometimes wondered if it was due to the older characters that TBC is so utterly overlooked/under-rated or if people are just so nostalgic about reading Anne when they were children that it overwhelms all other LMM novels.  Either way, this just proves you are my kind of peeps.

• Love 3

I don't know what it is, but I keep coming across weird stuff that I watch. The latest is a German mini-series, Ku'damm 56, a story about a mother who owns a dance studio in post-WW2 Berlin and her three grown up daughters. In the beginning, the black sheep is coming from home to the oldest sister's wedding, not telling the mother she'd aactually been kicked out of school. Sounds fairly typical and possibly good. Hoo, boy.

The daughter coming back home, Monika, gets raped during the sister's wedding reception by Joachim, a son of a wealthy industrialist, who her mother kind of blackmailed into being Monika's date to the wedding. He quickly discredits her accusations and the mother accuses her of being a tart basically. Then he starts to creepily like Monika and her mom is pushing her on him because, yay, a wealthy psycho is taking an interest in your ass and I never thought that would happen! Glory be! In the best scene of the whole four and a half hours Monika stabs him during their movie date. I cheered. Luckily, she's not pregnant and she soon discovers the lure of rock'n'roll. And gets involved into a friends with benefits thing with an irresponsible musician. He's lame, but yay for Monika for taking control of her sexuality and enjoying sex. Also, at no point does she think she's in love with him. Good things. However, then she does get pregnant with the musician, and Joachim still keeps mooning over her when they run into each other, because I guess we're now forgetting about the rape and he's actually tortured by his father loving his dead brother more than him and being a war profiteer who manufactured the weapons that murdered his son during the war, and is still manufacturing weapons. So, Joachim has basically got a lot of pain that he aparently took out by raping a girl. Awesome. Or at least it is in Mom's eyes, because she's got the great idea that Monika should seduce him, pass off the kid as his own and get him to marry her.* It actually goes that Monika starts to like her rapist back, but confesses to the pregnancy, they do the deed, he wants to marry her, but she'd rather go to a dance tournament with the baby daddy and Joachim, who's also a tortured artist, decides to write a novel in which he and Monika one day end up together.

*After all, it worked for Mom 20 years back. See, the girls think the school had been founded by their grandfather and in the family for 50 years. Turns out, mom and dad got it when they won the European dance championship in 1936 and the government took it from a Jewish family. What sealed the deal was Mom sleeping with a government official who made it happen. This is resulted in Monika. Added bonus, the official has been hanging around basically ever since and trying to convince Mom to marry him since her husband has never returned after being captured in the war. I almost admire the trope twisting here. The pursuant suitor in the form of an unrepentant SS member. Ah well, at least he's nicer to Monika than the Mom.

And then there's the other two sisters. The eldest marries a clearly gay man who hadn't even kissed her before the wedding. I sympathize with the dude as he tries not to be who he is because this is 1956. Right until he rapes his wife (yes, hello, here we are again) and later on slaps her because of his frustrations. She is not always a picnick either because she convinces him not to warn his father's old friend that he's about to be arrested for being a memeber of the Communist party so that he doesn't risk his career.

Finally, there's the youngest daughter who works as a nurse in a mental clinic and is trying to bring a much older doctor up to scratch to marry her. During the course of this, she falls for the husband of one patient, who then decides to tell his wife and ask for divorce because he wants to build a life with this new girl. The wife takes it fucking too graciously but warns the husband that the girl is calculating and self serving. Up until that point, there had been two mentions of women hanging themselves in the attic, first by the Mom, and then by eldest daughter when her husband suggested divorce. So I expected this woman with mental issues to pull on the Chekov's noose. In a swerve she throws herself out the window. Proving that she was right, the youngest daughter accepts the doctor's marriage offer before the wife's body is cold. 

There's also a subplot with the missing father, who's been back in Berlin for three years, only he didn't want to profit on the remains of that Jewish family anymore and felt guilty because of his actions during the war, so he didn't let his family know, but is an active communist in East Berlin. And he's got a new family.  

(edited)

@BkWurm1 and @NumberCruncher you're all kindred spirits!!!!!!

Omg I'm so excited to find fellow TBC lovers. I read that book once a year, every year and have done so for the last 15ish years. 

Question: Do you think Valancy and Barney had sex? I didn't question it or even think about it when I was younger but I did wonder in the later years. 

"Valancy," he said, trying to speak lightly, "of course I'm not in love with you--never thought of such a thing as being in love. But, do you know, I've always thought you were a bit of a dear."

*swoons*

Still grumpy about Ilsa and Teddy. Haha I feel like I've been saying that my whole life. I get it but it was irritating and I hated that it took Ilsa jilting him for that marriage to end. Mind you the whole thing with Dean Priest was.....undesirable too. Yes Bkwurm1 that last book was torture. I loved Aunt Elizabeth so much. She came a long way from who she was in book one.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Well that's a lot to take in, lol.  

And I didn't even go into things like the doctor assisting in surgeries that resulted in deaths of camp prisoners, which is why his wife left him, and now specializing in treating "hysterical" women with electroshocks. He also kindly tries to treat the guy husband from homosexuality the same way. I'm pretty certain he's honestly certifiable. He's laughing like a complete lunatic towards the end of the show.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg I'm so excited to find fellow TBC lovers. I read that book once a year, every year and have done so for the last 15ish years. 

Question: Do you think Valancy and Barney had sex? I didn't question it or even think about it when I was younger but I did wonder in the later years. 

"Valancy," he said, trying to speak lightly, "of course I'm not in love with you--never thought of such a thing as being in love. But, do you know, I've always thought you were a bit of a dear."

*swoons*

Still grumpy about Ilsa and Teddy. Haha I feel like one been I've been saying that my whole life. I get it but it was irritating and I hated that it took Ilsa jilting him for that marriage to end. Mind you the whole thing with Dean Priest was.....undesirable too. Yes Bkwurm1 that last book was torture. I loved Aunt Elizabeth so much. She came a long way from who she was in book one.

Ha!  When I first read the book and for many years, no, I assumed they weren't having sex but later on I decided, yeah, they were.  They share the same bed, there's never any talk about them not having a real marriage or her not being able to because of "reasons" and doesn't she specifically mention enjoying snuggling and his scratchy beard?  (Clearly, I need to do a reread to check these details)

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

*swoons*

Still grumpy about Ilsa and Teddy. Haha I feel like one been I've been saying that my whole life. I get it but it was irritating and I hated that it took Ilsa jilting him for that marriage to end. Mind you the whole thing with Dean Priest was.....undesirable too. Yes Bkwurm1 that last book was torture. I loved Aunt Elizabeth so much. She came a long way from who she was in book one.

Haha!  I honestly never could figure it out because LMM was too proper to even suggest such a thing in those days but I think it can reasonably be concluded that they did because A) most marriages were not even legally considered marriages until they were consummated (and given Valancy was so desperate to get away from her horrid family I doubt she'd allow anyone to nullify her plot based upon a legal technicality); and B) the whole sharing of the same bed thing.  They were both young so the hormones still raged so why not?

• Love 2
(edited)

There was a bit when she came back to see mother and she talked about "Barney's arms around me" and "his cheek against mine". Yeah I reckon they totally did it! They lived on a remoted Island together and were young and shared the same bed and there was physical affection ("She ran down to the rock landing to greet him - to nestle herself into his eager arms - and they did seem eager").

Okies head cannon confirmed! They did have sex! 

@BkWurm1 they actually called you by a new name in the German class? That's really awesome and very committed! We didn't take languages seriously in high school. It was one of those random electives forced on us and they made us learn the language that was native to us (eg if you were born in china that made you learn mandarin)! I did learn to read/write (albeit badly) in Vietnamese though! I could only speak it before.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

There was a bit when she came back to see mother and she talked about "Barney's arms around me" and "his cheek against mine". Yeah I reckon they totally did it! They lived on a remoted Island together and were young and shared the same bed and there was physical affection ("She ran down to the rock landing to greet him - to nestle herself into his eager arms - and they did seem eager").

Okies head cannon confirmed! They did have sex! 

Well she also bought that swanky new swimsuit she specifically states would scandalize her family if they ever saw her in it so clearly she wasn't afraid of flaunting the goods for Barney, haha. ;)

• Love 2
(edited)

@BKWURM1 they actually called you by a new name in the German class? That's really awesome and very committed! We didn't take languages seriously in high school. It was one of those random electives forced on us and they made us learn the language that was native to us (eg if you were born in china that made you learn mandarin)! I did learn to read/write (albeit badly) in Vietnamese though! I could only speak it before.

I think the picking a new name thing is pretty common here for language classes, though yeah, when you think about it, it's rather odd, lol.  My school was small, so only offered Spanish and German (French usually makes it into the mix in most schools) and I was determined not to do the same thing everyone else was doing.  Only four people took German, lol.  I was not a natural. All that dull memorization.  Plus, I kept arguing with the teacher and demanding to know WHY there was a masculine, feminine, and neuter version of most words ( and then kept badgering her about why certain words fell into each category).  But hey, I can still count in German!  

Did you have individual study of a language, or were there just lots of classes and options?  Did you have to learn the language associated with your ancestry or was it just a pushed option?  

Edited by BkWurm1

Colleen McCullogh, author of The Thorn Birds, also loved The Blue Castle.  So much that she unconsciously plagiarized plots and character details in her book The Ladies of Missalonghi.

5 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I've sometimes wondered if it was due to the older characters that TBC is so utterly overlooked/under-rated

If so, it's a pity. when I became a teenager, I loved reading the books about an older Anne.

It always makes me feel sad that Lucy Montgomery didn't have a happy life herself when she gave so much joy to others.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think the picking a new name thing is pretty common here for language classes, though yeah, when you think about it, it's rather odd, lol.  My school was small, so only offered Spanish and German (French usually makes it into the mix in most schools) and I was determined not to do the same thing everyone else was doing.  Only four people took German, lol.  I was not a natural. All that dull memorization.  Plus, I kept arguing with the teacher and demanding to know WHY there was a masculine, feminine, and neuter version of most words ( and then kept badgering her about why certain words fell into each category).  But hey, I can still count in German!  

Did you have individual study of a language, or were there just lots of classes and options?  Did you have to learn the language associated with your ancestry or was it just a pushed option?  

They had one teacher for each language and in year 7 we were put into classes of our ancestry. If your ancestors spoke English you were put into whatever class that didn't have lots of kids.  If you wanted to study another language your parents could write a note but most people didn't really care because languages was one of the "bludgey" classes unless you had plans to study that language for the HSC (the be all and end all of our year 12 exams, the exams that determine what uni you go to, what course you can study and ultimately what career you choose).

14 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Okay so I've finished watching the first series and I'm going to share in spoiler tags my niggling concerns even though they aren't very spoilery spoilers but because I don't want to prejudice people's viewing:

Spoiler

They have a character I'm concerned they could set up as a someone who could eventually make a love triangle with Anne and Gill later on in the series if they want to offer more drama. The Cutherberts hire a boy Jerry (from memory I believe he is mentioned briefly in the book) and he and Anne have an adversarial bickering teasing type of friendship and in the last episode he seemed jealous or put out by Gillbert. The show is still very much setting up the Anne and Gilbert romance but my niggling fears is there is grounds there IF they wanted to have Jerry be the unrequited third point. And I just love Anne and Gilbert too much haha that I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy that.

And then this is a big spoiler but another qualm of mine:

Spoiler

They made Gilbert an orphan by the end of the series which I'm not opposed to perse but I don't think was necessary. I see what they are doing by creating another element and dynamic between Anne and Gil and it could be interesting to watch within the world the shows created.

But in terms of the legacy of Anne books and the Anne and Gill relationship I just feel like Gillbert never had to be an orphan to love Anne. It was her mind and intelligence and spark and spunk that made him fall in love with Anne because she was so different from the other girls. 

I mean those elements are still there but it's like the writers felt the need to go over kill by bringing Gillbert on the same level as Anne's painful past as an orphan because I don't know they don't trust that's enough or something. I don't just a little judgemental peeve of mine haha.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Thanks for updating us on Anne @LeighAn. I've been debating whether to start watching it or not but I definitely think I'll give it a pass with all the information you've posted.

Awwee seriously don't let my thoughts  turn you off *hugs*. That's why I thought I'd put it under the tags. I'm still enjoying the adaption for what it is but there are some things I question but am willing to see how they play out because it is a well written show. 

1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Awwee seriously don't let my thoughts  turn you off *hugs*. That's why I thought I'd put it under the tags. I'm still enjoying the adaption for what it is but there are some things I question but am willing to see how they play out because it is a well written show. 

Nono it's not your thoughts at all! But what I read in the tags has confirmed that I most likely will not enjoy the adaptation.

I am REALLY grateful that you posted it because if I had watched it I would have been VERY annoyed to discover that information after I committed time to watching it! 

LMM books were such a huge part of my childhood. I am really particular and very specific as to what I expect so frankly I am VERY relieved I didn't start watching!

7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Nono it's not your thoughts at all! But what I read in the tags has confirmed that I most likely will not enjoy the adaptation.

I am REALLY grateful that you posted it because if I had watched it I would have been VERY annoyed to discover that information after I committed time to watching it! 

LMM books were such a huge part of my childhood. I am really particular and very specific as to what I expect so frankly I am VERY relieved I didn't start watching!

Well I will say they also do something with Matthew that I thought was overkill as well on the drama gritty angle and I don't think fit the original characterisation of Matthew or his and Marillas Christian upbringing.

But for all the negatives there are still positives; the acting and the writing is very strong and I personally have enjoyed the writers bringing different dimensions to the characters that weren't in the books or the original series that were sunny and written for young girls/children in mind. I think the series brings more realism to the world of Avonlea and the hardships the people would have faced at the time, even though like I said sometimes I think the writers take it a step to far just for the sake of being edgy or gritty.

But yeah it's not the show to watch if you have strong feelings of loyalty to the source material. I don't think it's disrespectful to the source material perse as all the key story points are there but it's certainly it's own individual take on  the source material as is not afraid to be, that I can understand fans of canon being turned off by their adaption. 

I guess it's very vaguely like Arrow in that regard in that it takes all the key and important elements of that world but presents them in their own unique way that's different from how the originals were maybe envisioned *shrug*

I watched the whole series on CBC (where it was just titled "Anne" not "Anne with an E") and really enjoyed it.  I am a huge fan of the books (really just the first 2) and while I loved the 80's version, liked this one just as much - but for different reasons.  While Megan Fellows was an amazing Anne, this one matches the image I had of her in my head a bit more.  At first I resisted Matthew, but grew to really appreciate his performance.  Marilla is quite good, as is Rachel Lynde.  The one negative for me was Gilbert.  I just didn't feel anything for this version.  

My one fear for another season of this, is the showrunner.  Moira Walley-Beckett also was responsible for Flesh and Bone, a ballet themed drama which was TERRIBLE.