Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Once Upon A Time In The West

WendyCR72

Oh Castle, another phone gets destroyed. Hopefully his new one will last throughout the rest of the season. I was also amused at the Spearfish-Deadwood coach since I think they was trying to reference as many western tv shows into the ep. Guessing this dude ranch was near Prescott since that's where the Yavapai reservation is located. I like the little detail of the lightening in the title credits to reference the desert monsoon season even thought it's way over before Nov. but who knows why the sheriff had an 1st of Oct. flyer behind him.

I've never been too bothered by the scar being seen or not, but if they felt like they needed to include it in this episode, I just wish the person applying it to Stana had done a better job. In some closeups of her in that white dress, it looks awful IMO and very obviously not natural. Maybe she moved around too much or that corset squished her skin too much, but it looked much better as part of her skin in season four when it first appeared in Kill Shot and then again in Always. 

• Love 1

Fun little episode. I especially enjoy it when they film somewhere outside which mostly equals some brighter light. As Castle tends to be more on the comedic side, it enhances my viewing pleasure. I also wait for the BTS pics of Bikichky the next day.

I agree with Matt Mittovich wholeheartedly. And there's nothing wrong with still admiring your partner after being together a long time. But the way it is done on Castle most of the time, you might wonder if he's not only a bumbling idiot but also a fumbling idiot. And I wouldn't wish that for anyone...;-)

And speaking of bumbling (and that trait also depends on the episode, as CAPD had none of it, as far as I remember), I really ask myself what kind of assignment he was "hired" for those two months he went missing. Brainiac? And is there ever an episode where we might find out what happened and not have Beckett take dig at Castle for being gone?

All in all the show has become quite challenging for me as it's always the same, even if something happens. That's quite astonishing...:-)

• Love 1

I just realize that the face Nathan makes when he's called Mr. Beckett was pretty much the same face he had when Hammer's groupies sing "we do the weird stuff."

Her reaction to Gates' referring to Casle as her husband, and him being right was priceless!

I loved that too cause she so didn't want to honeymoon at a dude ranch. Plus the reaction of Espo, Ryan and Gates when Castle suggests the undercover op.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 1

Regarding the dress in the last scene: I missed the slit-thanks for the picture and was  glad that they remembered the scar. Did anyone else think about "possible wardrobe malfunction" as Beckett dipped pulled and twisted??

Yeah, that top was pretty loose. I'm undecided if it's better to be loose like that or look like it's going to explode. Honestly, I'm leaning toward the former.

I loved that too cause she so didn't want to honeymoon at a dude ranch. Plus the reaction of Espo, Ryan and Gates when Castle suggests the undercover op.

I half expected there to be a dig about them using it as a honeymoon - traditionally there's not a whole lot of time for outside (meaning, non-couple-y things, but also literally outside your room), so when were they going to investigate?

But also ... if I were Beckett, I wouldn't want my honeymoon to be an impromptu honeymoon while on case, either. We know how distracted Castle gets when he thinks a case is interesting. I wouldn't want to share, not on my honeymoon.

Well, she's got four more days. That's not a heck of a lot of time and I definitely wouldn't want to spend it traveling. But I wouldn't say no to jumping on a plane to Mexico (provided they brought their passports to Arizona) or if not, flying up to Napa or something. That would be close enough to still have a decent amount of time to spend together.

Or maybe they upgraded to the Grand Hotel.I'm betting it doesn't matter much, as long they've got a room. (Also ... has anyone written any fanfic about having to share that single bed? If not, I'm surprised.)

Beckett'll get her exotic island honeymoon. A minimoon on a dude ranch could be worse.

I would have my, wealthy, husband fly me somewhere than a dude ranch ... but that's just me! Hell, take me back to the Hamptons.

Ikr? It's a short plane ride to the west coast so go to San Francisco area or back to LA for that couples massage that Maurice booked them the last time they were there lol. Also if they're were in Prescott, then they would be a couple hrs drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and being in the off season would easily able to get a room and romantic sunset dinner at one of the hotels.

Edited by turnitwayup
Beckett has 4 vacation days now? I would have my, wealthy, husband fly me somewhere than a dude ranch

Especially a ranch where they just got the owner arrested for murder.  I doubt they'll get upgraded to a suite now.

I think she didn't want to take time away from honeymoon activities to travel somewhere else.  She did make sure they would still do the tropical island thing when they had more time.

Also ... has anyone written any fanfic about having to share that single bed? If not, I'm surprised

I just stumbled on this one.  

• Love 1

Once Upon a Time in the West – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review be Lee Lofland. Don't worry Lee I won't be trying to shoot a gun out of someone's hand any time soon. 

I've never been too bothered by the scar being seen or not, but if they felt like they needed to include it in this episode, I just wish the person applying it to Stana had done a better job. In some closeups of her in that white dress, it looks awful IMO and very obviously not natural. Maybe she moved around too much or that corset squished her skin too much, but it looked much better as part of her skin in season four when it first appeared in Kill Shot and then again in Always.

Yeah it looked like it had "puckered" up a bit on her skin but then it was incredibly hot when they filmed there so may be that didn't help fixing it down either?

Jennifer Sparks @jennifercsparks  ·  12h 12 hours ago
Hanging with #NathanFillion and #StanaKatic on #Castle! #lovemyjob 

http://instagram.com/p/vjWe3IiBVP/

On set whilst filming, I do love that blue on Stana really works for her. 

And speaking of bumbling (and that trait also depends on the episode, as CAPD had none of it, as far as I remember), I really ask myself what kind of assignment he was "hired" for those two months he went missing. Brainiac? And is there ever an episode where we might find out what happened and not have Beckett take dig at Castle for being gone?

Heh. I'm also starting to wonder about that given the writers increasing propensity to make him into this clumsy goofball who is frequently lost for words, may be the digs are the writers way of planting the seeds that this will cause a relationship blip later on. Can they go a whole season without a big row as man and wife? They really need to curb the bumbling and fumbling though because it will only become a harder a sell to convince me when the time comes he was the perfect guy to take part in some big badass conspiracy or whatever convoluted story they've cooked up. 

Edited by verdana

Talking of Andrew here's some of the BTS pictures he's tweeted showing the work involved on #7.07.

This one made me giggle.

Andrew Bikichky @AndrewBikichky  ·  12 hrs 12 hours ago
Most lit toilet in #Hollywood providing a soft light bounce Cabin set Ep707 #Castle

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/534794184344227840

Campfire scene close ups were at Raleigh Studios Stage 1 Ep707 #Castle

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/534786262041772032

Night at Paramount Ranch but we’re lighting the Haberdashery for day Ep707 #Castle

https://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/534785432580395009

I had never given it a second thought but they shot the "day" scene in the haberdashery story at night and used bright lights instead.

Had to laugh at Jay's tweet, Nathan on set all dressed up and his phone which I'm sure he would have to be surgically parted from them. 

Jay Galbo @jayway728  ·  15h 15 hours ago
Hey...nice to see the #Apple #iPhone6Plus fits in a pocket! @NathanFillion @jayway728

https://twitter.com/jayway728/status/534747894167773184

It's also great to see Jay fit and well after his battle against cancer. 

Edited by verdana

Talented guy that Mr Fillion.

Rob kyker @RobKyker  ·  13h 13 hours ago
“@SerePellizzari: @RobKyker Did @NathanFillion know how to play the harmonica or was that post production?” Both

And back to the phones.

Rob kyker @RobKyker  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago
“@SmeeLeatah: @RobKyker Kinda cool that #Castle's phone got smashed...again. Now he can have a 6? ;)”yep he does

Once Upon A Time In The West Fics, a selection from Castlefanfics.

Edited by verdana

Fun episode but holy hell, Kate actually walked around in public in that black outfit? I mean REALLY? The woman has a smokin' bod (and this is coming from a straight female) but damn. The shirt was way too open and that corset? I'm kind of surprised Castle let her out of the room lo!

Can they go a whole season without a big row as man and wife?

We made it through all of season 6 without them having a major fight, so maybe they can keep that up.  I certainly wouldn't mind disagreements, especially banter-y disagreements or ones where we see them make up.  But hopefully whatever is coming up will be presented as "us against the world" rather than him versus her.

• Love 1
Nathan and Stana's chemistry is fantastic.

Yep, it's been back for two episodes in a row and it has changed my level of entertainment of the episodes considerably.

Also, NF's enthusiasm was still here this week, too. Yay!

I didn't care all that much for the case and Beckett's various *hot* outfits. That was a bit too much for my taste. The same goes for her saving the day (and Castle) twice by shooting cowboy-style. But these are only minor nitpicks. All in all, I'm a pretty happy viewer.

Edited by kbs

Late to the dude ranch.  This was an episode that I really wanted to love and it may have been a case of overly high expectations of TPW (should it be OMW, Old Man Winter heh?) or if it was coming off the emotional highs of last week, but I didn't love it.  I liked it well enough but I didn't love it.  I always look forward to episodes where they can get out of the precinct, but like Murder He Wrote in the Hamptons, somehow the episode didn't quite hit the sweet spot for me.

Some things I liked:

- Scene where they break the news at the loft.  Nice comedic work from everyone.  

- Caskett being giddy over being married. "Our place".

- The campfire scene was probably my favourite from the whole episode.  Romantic vibe, romantic score before the inevitable interruptus.  Loved Beckett going in for a kiss and then being kind of shy before initiating the striptease.  Castle was looking at her with love and his moves weren't too bad once he finished fumbling.  It was cute how they looked at each other as they started unbuttoning.  

- Ryan and Espo the horses still made me laugh the most.

- Beckett's outfits.  Her makeup seemed a bit too overdone for her black outfit though.  Her white outfit at the end was sexy but it was a bit distracting how it seemed like she was about to suffer a wardrobe malfunction. ;)

- Lasso and kiss.

- Castle's "Much obliged, ma'am" in the mirror and tipping his hat.  They should have made some sexy banter out of that with Beckett.

- Caskett's undercover schtick. 

- The way they filmed the pistol shootout at the end, before Castle fumbled.

- Gates giving the boys a smackdown.

Things I didn't really care for:

- Jon and Seamus were a good pouting duo and it gave them a storyline, but count me as unsympathetic with their characters being miffed about not being invited to the wedding, especially not Esposito after his attitude during Castle's disappearance just recently.  Ryan throwing Castle's wallet at his head after taking his money was also a bit too much. They make Castle out to be the boys' ATM too much as it is with their demands for his Ferrari etc. and it's become less amusing as the boys have been written as less gracious.  I guess the boys are supposed to be family by now so this kind of behaviour gets a pass, but to me it's not quite the same as Alexis and Martha (and Beckett) asking Castle for things.  

- I don't mind clumsy Castle not being as cool as he thinks sometimes, but can they let him be the cool and occasionally badass dude once in a while (even in a non serious episode)?  And  can he be a sexy, smooth, suave lover too? ;)  Like Matt said, where did that guy go?  Castle can't be that bad or Beckett wouldn't be taking the initiative almost all the time. ;)

Castle and Beckett could have both shot at the bad guy at the end and exchanged one of those heated looks at their mind meld/good timing.  Would have preferred that over a fumbling Castle + badass Beckett.  It's more fun and sexy to me when they are both badass together.  And yes, they seem to have long forgotten that Castle is a good shot and even tricked Beckett back in the day in a sexy scene.  Imagine how sexy it would (not) have been if Castle had been all fumbling then because he was the one distracted by hot Beckett. ;)  Couples are always sexier in my book when they are both presented as sexy rather than one being super sexy and the other's just salivating.  The latter's just comedic (often not even that), not sexy or romantic.

I think it would be really refreshing and overdue to switch up the character dynamics once in a while.  I would have preferred Castle being a rakish lover, ripping up thigh high slits :P and corsets, and getting a naughty look on his face when he saw Beckett in her black outfit to Castle stumbling over his words, even if he did say "-cock" heh.  Would have found that more entertaining and sexier than unsmooth Castle and semi-disapproving Beckett telling Castle to put his eyes back into their sockets.  They could have been playful and dialled up the sexual tension quite a bit before they had to get back to the case.  Guess this was what I missed from the episode.  Waste of a twin bed!  Couldn't they have shared it while they discussed the (boring) case?

I'd rather they don't make Beckett to be like the exasperated, disapproving mother of Castle the kid too much, especially now that they are married.  That dynamic can get a bit old and doesn't help make them a sexy couple.

- Castle's outfits.  Nathan doesn't have the figure he did when he was a space cowboy, but surely, he could have been better fitted as a cowboy than what Luke did.  I thought he actually looked best in a BTS with his waistcoat off, and even in his loft button down and plaid at the end than he did in his cowboy duds.  

Ultimately, Caskett were still fun to watch as a married couple.  Not hugely different from before.  Chemistry still on this season. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
I guess the boys are supposed to be family by now so this kind of behaviour gets a pass, but to me it's not quite the same as Alexis and Martha (and Beckett) asking Castle for things. 

I've come to the conclusion that Esposito and Ryan aren't really Castle's friends.  They're Beckett's friends and they are both really good friends to her.  I think they'd do pretty much anything for her, but when Castle asks for something they expect to be paid back. And it's all meant to be funny, but they need to show them being good to him at some point to make the teasing seem fun.

Maybe this is because I just watched the character commentary the did for Need to Know on the S6 DVD.  They kind of bash Castle the whole time.  

I'm kinda there too, KaveDweller. The only time I can remember either of them showing any real care or concern for Castle is when he was locked up in Probable Cause and Espo tells Beckett he loves Castle as much as she does. But you sure wouldn't know it from how he & Ryan act 99.999% of the time. Any other examples I'm forgetting? Maybe when Alexis was missing, but it seems to be few and far between occurrences.

I've heard too much about the in-character Need to Know commentary to ever want to watch it now. 

I've heard too much about the in-character Need to Know commentary to ever want to watch it now.

It's a shame because it's a really cool idea and I loved that episode.  But I was a little disapointed in it.  The best parts were their comments wondering where all this "footage" came from. They even complain about Castle drinking "their" coffee at the precinct because it's cop coffee and Castle's not a cop.  Maybe the actors forgot that Castle's the one that bought the espresso machine?

Any other examples I'm forgetting? Maybe when Alexis was missing, but it seems to be few and far between occurrences.

I can't really remember them interacting with him directly in those episodes.  The only thing that comes to mind is scene with Beckett where Espo tells her to go home to Castle because he needs her.

Castle and Beckett could have both shot at the bad guy at the end and exchanged one of those heated looks at their mind meld/good timing.

Absolutely. And perhaps that would also work in with the ‘new mythology’ since fumbling Castle is less likely to have been recruited(?) than capable Castle.

That dynamic can get a bit old and doesn't help make them a sexy couple.
Absolutely.

Nathan doesn't have the figure he did when he was a space cowboy, but surely, he could have been better fitted
http://www.whosay.com/status/nathanfillion/1019633?wsref=tw&code=egs9xNT

I like plaid. But then I’m Canadian.

• Love 1

I don't hate plaid per se and in fact Castle can look good in it, but I find it a bit ridiculous that a millionaire metrosexual's wardrobe seems to consist only of plaid and button downs.  I guess it could be worse and Luke could have Castle emulate Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs and wear one thing all the time. ;)  Nathan seems to be fond of wearing plaid in real life and that's fine but that doesn't mean Luke has to have Castle be equally fond of it.  I'm not saying that Castle has to dress like a clown (shudder) or something but his clothes are mostly so boring and dull in palate (arguably the case for everyone generally except maybe Martha) and not really reflective of his personality.  I don't find any flair or zest and often not even good taste in his clothes.  Maybe because mostly everything is covered by horribly ugly jackets. ;)  Watched an episode of Modern Family earlier and noted that the actor who plays one half of a gay couple, who is much heavier than Nathan, was dressed in a much better tailored suit despite his girth.  Came off as sharp and well dressed and he's a school teacher, whereas Castle comes off as a school teacher who isn't sharp and well dressed most days (no offence to school teachers).  

I've come to the conclusion that Esposito and Ryan aren't really Castle's friends.  They're Beckett's friends and they are both really good friends to her.  I think they'd do pretty much anything for her, but when Castle asks for something they expect to be paid back. And it's all meant to be funny, but they need to show them being good to him at some point to make the teasing seem fun.

Exactly.  They need to show them being good to him as well to balance out the teasing otherwise the teasing just comes off as increasingly mean spirited.  I find that's the problem with a lot of the character dynamics on the show.  The writers like a certain dynamic or realise it's playing well with the audience but then they start going to that same old well all the time without evolving the dynamic as the relationships mature.  It starts getting old and what worked well for a new relationship doesn't necessarily work well for an established relationship, without suitable adjustments.  At times I've found that to be the same case with Caskett.  I get that Beckett mocking Castle (mostly good naturedly) has been part of their dynamic since the beginning but they've got to balance that out with other ways of interaction, especially since she's supposed to be in love with him and married the man!  And there's got to a better power balance in all the relationships, be it Caskett or Rysposito/Castle, Alexis/Castle.  It gets tiring and boring when one party has all the power all the time and the other's just the submissive one.  It's always more fun to me when any good natured mocking is a 2 way street.

But back to Ryan and Esposito.  I get that they are Beckett's friends first but I don't understand why the writers sometimes make it out like they can't be Castle's friends at the same time, especially when Castle is in some kind of jeopardy.  Caring for Beckett can also mean not being quick to distrust Castle. ;) Instead, they could be reassuring her about the man they know him to be.  That would be a much better affirmation of their all round friendship. 

I remember Esposito making a comment about Castle during Alexis' kidnapping when he'd gone off to France and basically saying he couldn't handle himself.  And look who came back with his daughter safe and sound. ;)  Maybe that kind of comment is Esposito's way of dealing (like how he said something about wanting the Ferrari when Castle died ;)) but it doesn't come off as very nice or compassionate towards a friend in need.  

ETA: Assuming that Arizona really a state where you can openly carry firearms.  As someone not familiar with that culture, that seems so very odd to me!  Frankly, I'd be quite concerned.

Edited by madmaverick

ETA: Assuming that Arizona really a state where you can openly carry firearms.  As someone not familiar with that culture, that seems so very odd to me!  Frankly, I'd be quite concerned.

Arizona is indeed a state where you can openly carry firearms. In fact, it's more common than not (in terms of laws) - 30 states allow some sort of open carry, 14 states allow a person to open carry with a permit, and only 6 disallow open carrying. (Contrary to popular belief? Texas is a state that disallows open carrying.)

There are individual rules on when it's appropriate to openly carry a firearm, but I'd say it's much more common in the south and in the west. Probably a cultural hangover from having less people and having to have the ability to defend yourself from animals (or historically even bandits or Native Americans). It's less likely that you'd really need a gun in New York than you would in a place like Arizona.

I don't think it's a protection thing anymore for most people. Now it's a cultural and social status thing, especially in the west. My state is open carry, but people don't.

Unless you live in Alaska or something. I'd probably carry a gun if chances were good I'd come across a angry grizzly bear.

At times I've found that to be the same case with Caskett.  I get that Beckett mocking Castle (mostly good naturedly) has been part of their dynamic since the beginning but they've got to balance that out with other ways of interaction, especially since she's supposed to be in love with him and married the man!  And there's got to a better power balance in all the relationships, be it Caskett or Rysposito/Castle, Alexis/Castle.

I think Castle/Beckett is the most balanced relationship on the show, at least right now.  That makes sense, since they get the most screentime and attention.  Before they got together I can understand the complaints about Beckett mocking him, but now we do get to see her and Castle in loving/romantic scenes as well.  And Castle teases her back, or at least purposely tries to drive her crazy sometimes.  I can't remember a time when Castle mocked/teased Espo/Ryan or gave them a hard time about something.  Castle/Alexis was balanced in the early seasons, but ever since the Pi disaster it has felt off to me. 

I get that they are Beckett's friends first but I don't understand why the writers sometimes make it out like they can't be Castle's friends at the same time,

especially when Castle is in some kind of jeopardy.

They should be his friends too, since Castle treats both of them like his friends (independent of his relationship with Beckett).

I'm not usually one to get upset about unfair treatment of Castle, but once I started thinking about this it started to bother me.

The discussion elsewhere about better developing the secondary characters and the way certain guest characters just shine made me think that if Alexis had brought bunkhouse neighbor Tobias home to stay for a while (not as a lover, bien sur, but as a chum who needed a place to stay) instead of Pi, it would have made Alexis more in line with who she had been in previous seasons (never did find her love for Pi believable) and Tobias' slightly snarky enthusiasm would also have melded well with Martha's and made for entertaining loft scenes.

If Castle is loaded, why does Beckett - his wife - not just take unpaid leave days? Why does she need Ryan and Esposito to donate their leave days so that she can continue her honeymoon? Obviously from operations point of view Cpt. Gates does not really need her back in the office immediately.

• Love 1

If Castle is loaded, why does Beckett - his wife - not just take unpaid leave days? Why does she need Ryan and Esposito to donate their leave days so that she can continue her honeymoon? Obviously from operations point of view Cpt. Gates does not really need her back in the office immediately.

It depends on if regulations would let her take unpaid leave. Even if Gates is okay with it, NYPD regs might not. I know some places make you work x hours a week, or x days a year or whatever to be considered full time, even if you're a salaried employee, or to keep your salaried status. I don't think Beckett needs the money, but it might be a formality more than anything else.

A quick check indicates that NYPD officers are entitled to 12 weeks of benefits coverage during leave of absence without pay. There are minimum service requirements and vacation must be exhausted to make the officer eligible, but the .gov page I found relates to uniformed officers, so if they qualify Beckett would qualify. As Castle the character says, it doesn't make as good a story, but in real life it unpaid leave would make more sense than having a guy with a new baby give up his vacation.

It depends on if regulations would let her take unpaid leave. Even if Gates is okay with it, NYPD regs might not. I know some places make you work x hours a week, or x days a year or whatever to be considered full time, even if you're a salaried employee, or to keep your salaried status. I don't think Beckett needs the money, but it might be a formality more than anything else.

I am sorry, but from HR perspective I can not see a situation where one is not allowed to take unpaid leave, yet allowed to take paid leaves from others. In fact, I myself have not found an organization where leave days are transferable.

Also 'minimum service requirements' is how many years? Beckett is famously very young for a person in her position. If she graduated from university at 21 or 22, she has what? less than 15 years with the department, and that's counting police academy towards her service requirements.

I mean, it's not like these stories are churned out over the weekend.

NYC Transit (MTA)  is one city municipal organization that does in fact allow employees to transfer leave days, like if someone is critically ill or injured and runs out of their own sick days. I believe that there are other city agencies that also allow that.

Edited by newyawk

No matter the subtleties, the idea that Beckett would not qualify for a leave of absence without pay doesn't make a lot of sense. "Service requirement" generally means a few years, so not a barrier. And the usual barrier of support from the brass also non-existent, since Gates was on-side. Even if Ryan and Esposito could transfer leave, taking someone's vacation from them when there are alternatives is a dick move. I wish the writers hadn't had Beckett make (or accept) a dick move.

But if that kind of thing is my biggest beef with an episode, that means it was a good episode. At least good-ish. And that's pretty much my standard nowadays!

No matter the subtleties, the idea that Beckett would not qualify for a leave of absence without pay doesn't make a lot of sense.

In the words of Castle...."you're ruining the story with your logic."  It's one of my favorite lines of his even though I like picking things like that apart.

At least good-ish. And that's pretty much my standard nowadays!

The show is much more enjoyable when you don't expect it to be perfect.  I've been disappointed by way too many shows by expecting that.