Type keyword(s) to search

The Hamptons Herald: Royal Pains In The Media

According to TVLine, Season 8 of USA's Royal Pains will begin on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - and will be the final season of the show.

Nice! The previous season's finale seemed like a series finale, and I was ok with that -- but this is excellent news!

It'll be sad to see another of USA's "blue skies" shows go away, though. I'm not into the grimdark stuff they're moving on to. The only consolation is that USA goes through personality changes like snakes shed skin. I can wait this one out.

• Love 3

I am also ready for this show to end, but I can help but feel nostalgic for the lighter dramas of the past.  I am with Codelady about not enjoying the grim dark/grittier dramas they are now offering.  There was a time that I watched all the shows that USA produced.  With the end of Royal Pains, I no longer will watch any.

• Love 4

I won't say I no longer will watch any, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the shows from that "era". They were breezy. There's nothing wrong with that. 

• Love 1

I am also ready for this show to end, but I can help but feel nostalgic for the lighter dramas of the past. I am with Codelady about not enjoying the grim dark/grittier dramas they are now offering. There was a time that I watched all the shows that USA produced. With the end of Royal Pains, I no longer will watch any.

Same here. This would be the last show. Lost interest in Suits 2 seasons ago and everything else is too dark. I miss Psych and Necessary Roughness, even the earlier seasons of White Collar.

• Love 2

Same here. This would be the last show. Lost interest in Suits 2 seasons ago and everything else is too dark. I miss Psych and Necessary Roughness, even the earlier seasons of White Collar.

It really all started with Monk. Remember the USA slogan, "Characters Welcome"? Later on, the "blue skies filter" was added to the formula. Here's an old article that describes the network's thinking and strategy: The Writers Making “Characters Welcome” at USA Network.

I don't know why they changed it. Various series' ratings will sink after a time, but I thought the concept was still sound. Did they run out of character ideas? Are the ratings for these darker shows any better over time?

I've made loud complaints about some of Royal Pains' plot misfires and character silliness, but overall I've always looked forward to this summer confection. Some things they always got right: the sun, the blue skies and sea, the wacky Hamptons fashionista vibe, the money, the optimism of summer.

• Love 3