Type keyword(s) to search

Host: Bobby Deen? Really?

If he spoke better, or was funny, or seemed more authoritative than he does, I could see it.  But since he doesn't... and wasn't and isn't... I can't get past the obvious problem with him being on The Food Network.  Talent would trump all that. 

• Love 4

I can't believe they brought him back.  They tried him out on some FN Stars+Family Member holiday cooking show last year and he was awful,  With his mother personae no gratae at the network I figured they were done with him after burning off his show.   If they had to bring back one of the Deen boys, why wasn't it Jamie?  He at least has a bit of a personality for this.

• Love 2

Bobby was trying too hard to pull off Alton Brown ala "Cutthroat Kitchen" and it wasn't working. He's trying too hard. Another thing that annoyed me was how he'd rudely rush the judges along. Try that on "Chopped" buddy...

• Love 2

I groaned over the fact that Bobby Dean had anything to do with this show, let alone being the MC.  But I wanted to see the cookies, so I watched.  After watching it, I realized that I'd wasted my time; neither Bobby nor most of the cookies were worth watching.

Here's my problem with Bobby:  On Paula's show, Bobby was always Mama's whipping boy.  She couldn't get away with insulting Jamie, or he'd come right back at her.  Besides, he's clearly her favorite.  On the other hand, she thought nothing of insulting Bobby right on the air, and he'd look angry, step back, pout in the background and make the whole thing worse.  It was truly sad to see him seeking her approval and never really getting it.

Now, when he can't please his own mother, the FN has given him an entire show to run.  We have no respect for him because his own mother didn't.  I blame Paula for a lot of Bobby's problems.  Still, he may be as dumb as he seems.  Between his fake cheerfulness and that atrocious accent, I can't watch him.  To a certain extent, I feel sorry for him, but I still can't watch him.

Paula has purchased all of her shows from the FN to start her own network.  You don't suppose, do you, that part of the deal was the FN hiring Bobby?  Paula is said to be a shrewd businesswoman, and stranger things have happened.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

He's growing on me.

Sorry. I'll leave quietly now.

I can say quite honestly, I don't come to the table with any expectations, and he seems just fine to me. Maybe a TOUCH announcer-y, but that's kind of what he's supposed to do? His one-on-one's with the contestants aren't GREAT, but they're fine.

• Love 1

I had never seen Bobby Deen before he hosted that one off family competition that Anne Burrell and her sister won.  I liked him just fine.  I have no problem with him on this show either.  He's laid back but pleasant which is rather refreshing after GGG and Cutthroat Kitchen.  Can't stand his mother though.

I feel a little bit sorry for Bobby Dean, but I still can't get myself to warm up to him.  He, like his older brother, has worked for his mother since he was a boy.  If he ever wanted to be something else when he grew up, he didn't stand a chance.  Paula wanted those boys to follow in her footsteps!  Bobby seems to be the brother with the anger, and he hides it poorly.  He's rich.  He got a free house from his mama, but I don't think he's happy.

I see "loser" written all over Bobby, partly because Paula didn't treat him well on her show.  She clearly is prouder of his brother, and Bobby has been the square peg in the round hole.

I don't care for Bobby as a show host, partly because of his accent.  Example:  "The category today is PAHS!!!  Each contestant must make three PAHS, each one different.  We'll supplah the PAH crust to get you started.  Ready?  BAKE THOSE PAHS!!!"

About a year ago, Bobby had a quickie wedding to a girl from South America.  Paula was beside herself.  She announced to the press that there would be a "quiet family wedding" later in the year.  I don't know whether they actually had one or not.

Edited by Lura
Is he still married?

I don't know, grisgris.  From the way the article sounded, I thought there would be a baby announcement before long, but I've never read anything more.  I suppose Paula could have kept it out of the press.

Thanks, Lura. I remember seeing a tiny article and a few black and white photos in an issue of "People" or some similar magazine a few years back. I guess since Paula no longer has any shows where she can trot out the rest of the clan, we're not seeing much. Still, you'd think she'd be on Bobby's show or at least he'd occasionally mention her. Unless of course, those are just old reruns on The Cooking Channel. (I had to admit that I don't avidly watch his show, so maybe I have missed something.) In any case, I suppose the presence/knowledge of a wife would screw up the show's premise that Bobby is a free-wheeling bachelor living it up in New York.

I've never watched Paula's show or clued in that this was her son for the first couple of episodes.  He seems so bland though.  I miss Jeff Foxworthy when he hosted the American Baking Competition last summer on network TV.  He brought a lot more lightheartedness and fun into that show.  That is what the host should be doing. 

• Love 3

It's too bad that whats her face on The Talk and that other hose on Great American Bake Off had to ruin that show and doom it from ever getting picked up.  I really enjoyed the competition and Jeff Foxworthy was a great host.

As for Bobby, I'm wondering how much he's trying to distance himself from Paula just to have a chance at a career.  And I can't see how she could be picky with Bobby marrying someone from South America since she herself, while married, had an affair with another married man.  Two marriages broken up so that she and Michael could get married. 

I like Bobby well enough.  I think he's doing a pleasant job on the show, I'm just not sure it's all that memorable, though.

I feel a little bit sorry for Bobby Dean, but I still can't get myself to warm up to him.  He, like his older brother, has worked for his mother since he was a boy.  If he ever wanted to be something else when he grew up, he didn't stand a chance.  Paula wanted those boys to follow in her footsteps!  Bobby seems to be the brother with the anger, and he hides it poorly.  He's rich.  He got a free house from his mama, but I don't think he's happy.

I see "loser" written all over Bobby, partly because Paula didn't treat him well on her show.  She clearly is prouder of his brother, and Bobby has been the square peg in the round hole.

I don't care for Bobby as a show host, partly because of his accent.  Example:  "The category today is PAHS!!!  Each contestant must make three PAHS, each one different.  We'll supplah the PAH crust to get you started.  Ready?  BAKE THOSE PAHS!!!"

About a year ago, Bobby had a quickie wedding to a girl from South America.  Paula was beside herself.  She announced to the press that there would be a "quiet family wedding" later in the year.  I don't know whether they actually had one or not.

I hate you for making me remember PAHSTAH.

This may seem random and out if the blue, but I noticed Holiday Baking Championship on my forum list today, and that got me thinking about Bobby Deen being replaced by Spring Baking Ken for the SBC and wondering if he was going to be part of HBC this fall or if he'd been replaced for it as well. So, I went a-googling and found a straight-to-DVD movie that just came out starring Mama Deen's son. It's called In Search of Liberty, and the trailer struck me as a bit... odd:

So I did a bit more digging. (It's a slow Sunday afternoon, what can I say?) I found out it was produced by a "Tea Party activist" named Norm Novitsky, that it had been filmed in Savannah, and that the production had been shut down at least once over labor disputes as he hired film students as contractors, rather than employees, paid them less than minimum wage, and forced them to sign documents saying they weren't unionized.

Of course, I have no idea how Bobby feels about the film's message or how its producers treated employees or what, if any, effect the role had on his Spring hosting duties at FN (either because of his availability or the film's political leanings), but it does make me wonder about all those things. And, to be honest,  it makes me way less concerned about whether we'll see him back for HBC. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, Gbb said:

This may seem random and out if the blue, but I noticed Holiday Baking Championship on my forum list today, and that got me thinking about Bobby Deen being replaced by Spring Baking Ken for the SBC and wondering if he was going to be part of HBC this fall or if he'd been replaced for it as well. So, I went a-googling and found a straight-to-DVD movie that just came out starring Mama Deen's son. It's called In Search of Liberty, and the trailer struck me as a bit... odd:

So I did a bit more digging. (It's a slow Sunday afternoon, what can I say?) I found out it was produced by a "Tea Party activist" named Norm Novitsky, that it had been filmed in Savannah, and that the production had been shut down at least once over labor disputes as he hired film students as contractors, rather than employees, paid them less than minimum wage, and forced them to sign documents saying they weren't unionized.

Of course, I have no idea how Bobby feels about the film's message or how its producers treated employees or what, if any, effect the role had on his Spring hosting duties at FN (either because of his availability or the film's political leanings), but it does make me wonder about all those things. And, to be honest,  it makes me way less concerned about whether we'll see him back for HBC. 

Odd is right, it's not a movie, it's a propaganda film for the Tea Party. I can't imagine Bobby just decided to get into acting & this is his first role, he's probably a member of the Tea Party & figured his name would help get publicity.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, GaT said:

Odd is right, it's not a movie, it's a propaganda film for the Tea Party. I can't imagine Bobby just decided to get into acting & this is his first role, he's probably a member of the Tea Party & figured his name would help get publicity.

I couldn't make it all the way thru the trailer ....did they turn a few random internet troll comments into a movie?  and it wasn't a splash?

39 minutes ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I couldn't make it all the way thru the trailer ....did they turn a few random internet troll comments into a movie?  and it wasn't a splash?

It seemed like it was supposed to be Benjamin Franklin defending the Constitution.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

It seemed like it was supposed to be Benjamin Franklin defending the Constitution.

While chuckling and firing off a semi-automatic rifle over a recitation of the 2nd amendment.