Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Girl Meets Friendship

So another random ethnic kid speaks up in class. Mr. Matthews must have a very liberal auditing policy. I think they're positioning Lucas as the "alpha male" of the class, so it's kind of funny to see him react when there's a challenger. And what's with the continued disrespect shown to Mr. Matthews. "Lunkhead," Maya called him; "Sheephead" or "Woolhead," Farkle called him.

I liked this episode, but Lucas's situation leaves me confused. When he's on the phone with his father, it sounds like his father is still in Texas, so why is he going to school in New York? Was that explained in the pilot and I don't remember? I could see if John Quincy Adams was a boarding school or something like that, but it's not, so Lucas must be living with someone. His mother?

How did they get the unicorn horse in the apartment in the first place? 

The ending scene was weird, because it almost seemed like there are two families there: Topanga and Augie, and Cory and Riley. I know they've shown them all at breakfast together, but the separateness seemed especially strong this time.

If Lucas and Maya aren't the end game, the creators are ignoring all sorts of chemistry, even if they are only supposed to be 12. And seriously, Lucas is 12 (or even 13)?! 

We KNOW Lucas is living with his mother because of the muffin episode. We however did not know his father was still in Texas. So I'm lead to believe that his parents are divorced or obviously separated. Which I think is a great subject to touch on. So kudos to the writers.

I feel like we can ignore the horse thing because 1.) It's a kid show and 2.) It has nothing to do with the plot. We aren't watching HBO.

The Phillies/Mets game was a GREAT throwback! Although it goin into 26 innings was extremely stupid, but then again I guess their target audience wont care about that.

The end of the episode, I agree that Topanga in particular seems distant with Riley (and she kinda has this whole season). But mothers and daughters at this age/development are not close. They are usually at each others throats. So when I think about that, I kinda get it. But Danielle seems ever further away from that dynamic, I'll agree.

"What are you to me? To me...you're a princess." This could mean a lot of things. In my opinion, Lucas cares about Riley as a friend at this point. Didn't see too much into them as a couple at all. What do you guys think?

The Phillies/Mets game was a GREAT throwback! Although it goin into 26 innings was extremely stupid, but then again I guess their target audience wont care about that.

I know right? The longest game in MLB history was 26 innings, and that game happened in 1920 and was called a 1-1 tie on account of darkness. If a game went to 26 innings and tied that record, Cory would be a lot more amped.

That game would've been epic, especially since it was likely a shutout cause the 9th ended 0-0.

"What are you to me? To me...you're a princess." This could mean a lot of things. In my opinion, Lucas cares about Riley as a friend at this point. Didn't see too much into them as a couple at all. What do you guys think?

That was an odd moment. I think it was meant to be shippy? I feel a bit icky talking that way about a child, which brings up a point. I only really see Riley as a child. The others come across as teens, which I think is why Maya and Lucas is a lot more palatable than Lucas and Riley. I just keep thinking why would a mature teenager like Lucas want to date an immature little girl like Riley? Both Lucas and Maya seem far more mature than Riley. But the show is heavily pushing Riley and Lucas so IDK.

I did think that, as Riley climbed up on the back of the horse, Lucas seemed to be looking off in the direction of Maya, as if they were both acknowledging that he was just being nice to a little girl with a crush on him. That's how I see it right now, Lucas is flattered and doesn't want to hurt his friend who so obviously has a crush on him, but I don't think he sees her in that way, at least I hope he doesn't. I know the actors are only like 2 years apart, but at their ages that is a world of difference.

IDK, I always get frustrated when I see obvious chemistry between two characters but the show seems dead set on pairing one of them with someone else. But then I remember these are children and feel like a dirty old lady for shipping any of them with anyone. LOL

and then I think about BMW didn't really start shipping Cory and Topanga until the 2nd, maybe even the 3rd season?

Actually Cory and Topanga kiss in her first episode, the 4th episode of the first season. Only a few episodes in the first season push the ship though. 

I liked the Cory/Topanga/Auggie subplot. It made sense and had Topanga talk to a horse she thought was Cory and brought up her love of princess hats. I really liked Cory trying to one up Topanga in the battle of whose turn it was to tuck in Auggie. But they really don't seem like they've ever had a five-year-old before.

My favorite part of the episode was Lucas pulling out the harmonica when Maya started on her "I Miss Texas" blues riff. 

Longtime BMW fan here. Generally, I think this GMW update is fine, heading in a good direction. Some of the cast is appealing as are some of the stories. But this ep was a miss for me. You've got an episode where Riley (and/or Maya) could get their girl power on and a Topanga readily available for inspiration and instead you turn it into a "Lucas is the alpha male" episode with a side of "Corey is a doofus." And you stick Topanga in the snoozy B-plot.

I don't mind Corey being played for laughs at times, but if Mr Feeney is blueprint for Corey (and that's been the mythology since BMW) then it's totally off the mark for Corey's students to be so disrespectful and for Corey to provide so little guidance.

While it makes sense for one of the big relationships within the show to be Corey/Riley, there are some stories that are better suited to Topanga. This was one of them. I think Toganga was a bit of a surprise to the writers back in the day. She was originally slated for just a few episodes and involved into an integral part of the show. But now the writers know what they've got and have history to lean on and they're doing next to nothing with it. Princess crown references not withstanding.

In the end, the lesson was friendship, and that's fine. But I think this episode could have aimed for more.

• Love 2

True, Topanga has a less natural place in the school-heavy stories. But there are school stories that would lend themselves to the involvement of a parent (mom or dad non-faculty member division of parenthood), and a school election is, imo, one of them. Really, any school activity could involve parents in an advisory or supportive capacity. I would think Mom Topanga would have jumped at the chance to help Riley think about what it means to be class president and to help Riley see some of her own strengths that would serve her well in the role.

Parents having a tough time getting kids to sleep and being miserably tired themselves - valid storyline. But in this case all it did was keep Toganga from making a meaningful contribution to a story she was, again imo, pretty much tailor made for.

Very true about bringing the school stuff home. Just thinking back to BMW when Cory was running for president, he had great talks with his mom and dad about what he was promising to the students if he was elected. (Some examples: Four day weekends and a waterslide.) Alan dropped some knowledge and made Cory really think about what he was saying.

I dont know, Alan and Amy seemed more like parents. Cory and Topanga seem more like bad baby sitters to me. I guess every parent is different, but as the son who was raised by Alan and Amy AND Feeny haha...just seems not as likely that he'd be this much of a pushover.

I'm hoping that will change as the series advances. Maybe the Home for the Holidays episode his parents will set them straight a little.

• Love 2

When Lucas told Riley she was "a princess," he didn't say "my princess," so I'm thinking he feels a big brother-little sister thing toward her. Riley seems like a child, because she is a child. She said in this episode that she was 12, even though Lucas and Maya both give off a mid-teens vibe.

IDK, I always get frustrated when I see obvious chemistry between two characters but the show seems dead set on pairing one of them with someone else.

Heh -- story of my (tv viewing) life. It is somewhat disconcerting when it happens on what should be a kid's show, though. I find myself wondering if I can sit through two or three seasons of this before the characters are old enough that the show could actually bring that kind of drama.

I also find myself wondering if I can sit through two or three seasons of the show's characters coddling Riley's vapid insanity rather than confronting it. But that might just be me.

• Love 1

How old are Danielle and Ben? Early/mid 30s? Corey and Topanga are pretty young to have a 7th grade child. And at least with Corey, the show seems to have made the unfortunate choice to play him more for laughs than for insight. It's too bad because with all Corey learned when he met the world with the help of Amy, Alan and Feeney, you'd think the show would write him as a bit more capable.

Considering that Corey/Topanga forever was not under consideration when BMW first started, I'm a little disappointed GMW seems so intent on forcing Riley/Lucas. BMW was smart to see the chemistry between Corey and Toganga and make it part of the foundation of the show. You'd think the lesson there would be to give the relationships time and see what ends up standing out. Instead, with GMW they had this pre-determined destination and it feels off.

So I just looked them up because I was curious, and Ben is 34, Danielle 33. So if the characters are the same age, then Topanga had Riley while in law school? That seems odd. I just see Topanga as someone who would want to finish school and get her life going before starting a family. I guess Riley could have been an accident. But they do seem very young (read: immature) to be parents of a 12 year old and also for Topanga to have a professional career that takes extra schooling and a lot of time commitment.

• Love 1

So I just looked them up because I was curious, and Ben is 34, Danielle 33. So if the characters are the same age, then Topanga had Riley while in law school? That seems odd. I just see Topanga as someone who would want to finish school and get her life going before starting a family. I guess Riley could have been an accident. But they do seem very young (read: immature) to be parents of a 12 year old and also for Topanga to have a professional career that takes extra schooling and a lot of time commitment.

Remember, Danielle and Topanga are not necessarily the same age.  Even if Danielle was playing Topanga as her actual age in the original show (frankly I don't know if thats true or not), it wouldn't necessarily be true that the show has advanced their ages at the same rate as the actual world.

Not that most actresses want to be older onscreen than their real ages, but this is Disney.  A lot of stuff is simply unsaid, so likely the details simply don't matter.

I know that it is true the actors ages aren't necessarily the characters ages, but if anything Danielle looks even younger than her actual age, which doesn't help. It's a kids show, so whatever, but as an adult looking at a woman who looks and kind of acts like she's in her mid 20s raising a 12 year old while also having gone through law school, passed the bar and be working in a law firm is a stretch. I don't actually care because Topanga is barely a character in this but I do find it funny. Of couse I find it even more laughable that they are trying to pass of Lucas whose actor is 15 and could easily pass for 16 is supposed to be 12. Sabrina can kind of pull it off a little better, probably because she's so tiny but when I first started watching I couldn't figure out why this old kid was in the same class as young kids like Farkle and Riley.

Age is not something GMW is doing terribly well. lol

Angela was like 12 years older than Cory, Shawn, and Topanga when they were filming boy. Not really meant to change your mind, just a fun fact. Age in Hollywood is always off. Which is why we continue to see people in their mid 20s playing high school kids haha.

I'm thinking season 2 the gang will start to look closer in age. If you see them in interviews now and go back to the pilot, the girls and farkle already look older (especially Riley).

Excited for the episode that airs tonight. Looks like it's Cory and Topanga's anniversary and they let Riley babysit. I'm keepin my fingers crossed for flashbacks. Maybe high school graduation where Topanga proposes?!

Lucas has looked too old from Day 1.  The actor's bio says 16, and he totally looks it, rather than 12 or 13.

This is versus Maya (character 12, actor 15), who some might argue ACTS too old, but who in the right outfits, yes, doesn't look any older than Riley (although singing, er... I mean competently lipsynching, in the Macy's parade yesterday and made up and dressed like herself she could probably pass for 16 or even 17).

Farkle and Riley do seem to be the two who need to catch up.  Rowan Blanchard being 13, a year older than her character, may indeed make that happen sooner rather than later, since she's already a tall girl.

Corey Fogelmanis is apparently 15, so I guess he could suddenly sprout any moment now.

Not sure I care if Auggie actually looks 5 or not, since I try to ignore the kid as much as possible.  That said, IMDB says he's 7.

Edited by Kromm