Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: The Calling

Tenzin tasks Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo with a mission of the utmost importance - to find Korra.

Ikki and Jinora are saints. If Meelo was my brother, I would have smacked him ten minutes into the journey.

Loved that Ikki got to be the hero for once. I sympathize with her, everyone always left me out of things too.

The airbender kids were funny and interesting, but I wish their screentime had been limited a little more and given to Korra. The resolution to her illness still seemed abrupt to me, even after four episodes and 3 and a half years.

• Love 2

She still probably has some things to work out before facing Kuvira but for now she got the poison out.

Loved her reunion with the Air babies and finally getting to hug Toph(who is a great storyteller btw)!

Ikki got an animal friend of her own and wow, Meelo can draw!

It's funny how some people online think they got a different actress for Jinora. If anybody had been watching Mad Men recently they know Kiernan Shipka's voice got deeper!

I really liked this episode. This season has been on point so far.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I would have liked more Korra/Toph and less airbender kids.  I like the kids, but did not need that much of them.  And Toph's point about the previous villains is important and I felt like there was a chance to finally give some of the resolution season one lacked but then they just shot on by.  Hmph.

That said, Toph's a great storyteller and I'm hoping she returns for the liberation of Ba Sing Se that I'd assume is the finale.  Again... for an impenetrable city it sure gets liberated a lot.

Once again, perfect use of Toph. I won't even be upset if that's the last we see of her, but I'm sure she'll be back. Korra should obviously tell Lin and Suyin that she met Toph, and they'll want to see her. Even when this show is off, it's not SO off that it would ignore something like that.

This was a slower episode, but I didn't mind. This show has a pretty huge cast at the moment, and I think it's good that they're taking a few of them at a time instead of cramming six rushed storylines into one episode. I guess Korra's recovery actually was a bit rushed, but we're four episodes in and it's probably time for the Avatar to get involved. There's a lot that needs to be dealt with.

I was almost yelling at my screen when the kids ignored the hell out of Toph. Like hello, there's an awesome, legendary, practically invincible, and basically omniscient hero standing behind you that helped your grandfather save the world, could we give her a few seconds? Geez!

Edited by Xazeal

The resolution to her illness still seemed abrupt to me, even after four episodes and 3 and a half years.

That's how I felt. I was thinking they could have went on a little longer with releasing the poison. Maybe some more shots of it coming out of her. Perhaps a larger bubble. It felt rushed.

But other than that, good episode.

I liked this episode a lot better with the second viewing.  The air kids were great, even Meelo, but especially Ikki.  Nice that she finally had something to do.  Their reunion with Korra made me choke up.

I have a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of Toph.

This episode was so unsubtly written, it made me cringe. “Don’t get discouraged. You’re a valuable member of the team” and “you can learn something from [your enemies]” were said out loud, for crissakes. And the air kids’ ‘I couldn’t have done it without you’ scene at the end? Le sigh. Le eyeroll.

But, I still enjoyed it for the most part, because I’m a sucker for flying squirrels and Meelo’s apostrophe-brows. (I could’ve lived without seeing Pokey lick his own vomit, though.)

Toph’s “It was hot, I was on a blimp, and I think a giant turtle showed up” killed me.

It seems odd that the Dark Avatar imagery has been dropped. The show has made it clear (in words) that Korra has been fighting her own fear, but the image was more powerful and unsettling.

• Love 1

Too bad that seems to be it for Toph.  I liked having her back.  Though I agree that Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo could've paid her a bit more mind.

And yes, it took four seasons, but they finally got something for Ikki to do, and she was awesome in doing it!

Missed Bolin, Mako, and Asami this week, but maybe they'll be back next week.

And yes, it took four seasons, but they finally got something for Ikki to do, and she was awesome in doing it!

Her being the Jan Brady of the family is actually pretty amusing (if a bit unfair to her sister, who at worst was simply not taking her opinion seriously, but otherwise not really being all Marsha on her).

I get the feeling that as this is the last season, Bryke are designating "spot-light episodes" to all the characters, just to give everyone a swan song. Kai and Opal got plenty of screen-time in the first episode. This episode was the air-bender kids' turn. Soon enough we'll head back to the core unit of Asami/Bolin/Mako/Korra.

And I'm glad, because I've always found Meelo totally off-putting, and this episode didn't change that.

Mostly this was more set-up, but if Kuvira is seriously getting together her army to march on Zaofu, then it would appear things will be pretty action-packed next week.

Finally watched The Calling, and all I could think afterwards was: Has Meelo always been a little shit?

Yes. :)

I enjoyed the fact that Ikki was manipulating the hell out of the guards who really didn't take a kid seriously enough to realize they are being played. :)

• Love 1

She clearly indicated she was. She pulled her hands with ease, she said she had it under control... and she has shown she is not stupid. So... manipulation is the only logical option.

Edited by Eneya