Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: REWATCH: Four Women and a Funeral

Carrie starts seeing Mr. Big again. Miranda buys her own apartment on the Upper West Side. Charlotte meets a recent widower at a cemetery. Samantha's actions with a married man gets her in trouble with the New York high-society "ladies who lunch" and only a titanic star can help her out.

So is there really "single woman" check box on certain forms to buy real estate?  I work a bit with real estate in PA and I've never seen one.  Or maybe its on the bank form to get the mortgage?  I've never bought property as a "single woman", so maybe I was never shown that part of the form.  Had to laugh at the real estate woman saying how big the place was.  Not really, as it turns out, since once Brady was born and Steve moved in, they were bursting at the seams.

I agree that you can't date a widower, at least not within the first five or so years I'd say.

A bit confused why Carrie would go out with Big again.  He hasn't changed, so did she decided she didn't need the "ILY"?

Kindof felt for Sam, the husband just sits there smugly smiling and Sam gets black-balled.

I didn't know Leo was supposed to be JFK Jr. (which actually makes more sense). 

Well, I guess it doesn't have to be 5 years, but I would certainly wait more than 1 year, for that first "anniversary of the death" to pass.  But obviously, in Charlotte's case, the guy was running a sympathy scam too.

So is there really "single woman" check box on certain forms to buy real estate?

When I purchased my first house, I was described in the documents as "spinster".  Including the Deed. Marital status must be stated so that subsequent purchasers can determine whether there is a spouse or former spouse who might have had an interest in the property and needs to sign off.

I asked my property law colleague (I'm a litigator) whether it could simply state "never married".  Nope.   Spinster or bachelor are the official legal titles. 

I don't understand why they changed Sam's savior at the end from JFK Jr. to Leonardo DiCaprio.

JFK Jr. died in a plane crash a few weeks after the episode first aired in July 1999.  I'm sure they thought it could be perceived as disrespectful (or at least insensitive) to highlight a fictional version of him in an episode that was still in airplay soon after that.

• Love 1

Thanks for the info and I was very imprecise with my comment - I understand why they did it at the time, and I had forgotten that the timing was quite so unfortunate. What I don't understand is why the episode is permanently changed - in every rerun I've seen and on HBO Go - and why they used LDiC as the replacement. A 25-year-old actor is not at all the same as an NYC icon/scion of a legendary American family. Now I'm wondering who would have been a better choice.

• Love 1

Wasn't that around the time Titanic came out? LDiC would have been a great choice then.

I suspect TPTB went with whoever was willing, available on short notice, and recognizable.

When I purchased my first house, I was described in the documents as "spinster".  Including the Deed. Marital status must be stated so that subsequent purchasers can determine whether there is a spouse or former spouse who might have had an interest in the property and needs to sign off.

I asked my property law colleague (I'm a litigator) whether it could simply state "never married".  Nope.   Spinster or bachelor are the official legal titles. 

This is AWESOME!  Lol.  Quof, you're going to make me go check my deed.   I bought as a singleton too.  How much do you think it  would cost to file an amended initialed version that reads (sexy as fuck) spinster. 

DiCaprio wouldn't've been my first choice either.  His type was all kinds of off.  Sam was a good and grown ass woman, next to her he looks like the kid he was.   Was James Brolin single then?  Because that's some hubba hubbaness I could see.

Thanks for the info and I was very imprecise with my comment - I understand why they did it at the time, and I had forgotten that the timing was quite so unfortunate. What I don't understand is why the episode is permanently changed - in every rerun I've seen and on HBO Go - and why they used LDiC as the replacement. A 25-year-old actor is not at all the same as an NYC icon/scion of a legendary American family. Now I'm wondering who would have been a better choice.

I don't think I watched the original run of this episode, which explains why I never saw the JFK, Jr. reference and I did always wonder about how Leo would have been such a big thing (as stated, a 'hot' actor with Titanic, but still, pretty much a kid, at least compared with Samantha - how would he have any influence with old/rich NYC families).  It totally makes more sense that it was originally JFK, Jr. because who else except JFK's son, of the Kennedy Family, could have rescued Samantha from NYC A list blackball hell.  Leo really isn't in the same league at all. I'm not sure any actor would be.  Well, maybe Clooney, at least nowadays, not sure about back in 1997. 

Same here - first property I bought in 1998, I was a spinster on the documentation.  However, I must not have been the only one who was offended at the terminology, because when I bought a new place in 2008, the documents had replaced "spinster" with "an unmarried woman." 

I watched this episode last night

I liked carrie at the start of the series more than at the end.

I felt for Charlotte with the her date but I liked that Miranda brought her own apartment was it just her and Samantha who had done so?

Are there really women that powerful that they can ban you from every restaurant/nightclub/social event/etc? It seems like a weird set-up just to have Samantah boink JFK Jr...er, Leo.

And Leo would have been a good substitute, he dominated the NYC and LA nightlife scenes back then.