Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Montreal

WendyCR72

Does anyone else wonder if the show borrowed the flashy thing from Men in Black to wipe Castle's memory?

Personally, I think he was hit in the head. And how will he get his memory back? Same way all TV characters do...which is....another hit in the head....

So Castle was run off the road on the way to his wedding by someone tied to something that happened when he was a child.  (I don't think that part was set up by him - he looked too surprised.)  That someone convinced him that he had to disappear and take care of something right away. 

No. Castle shared the childhood story as a kind of password. He was the only one who knew about it so if the guy quoted it only Castle could have told him and Castle would be forced to believe whatever was being said. The childhood story was unrelated to current events in any way.

But yes, Castle is being told that, while still in possession of all the facts, he made a choice not to remember. And I believe Beckett probably considered or concluded that remembering might give him information that would make someone see him as a threat or an opportunity, thereby putting himself or his loved ones at risk. So my theory is, she was reassuring him because she knows him and hurting them (with no explanation for a forced disappearance) would only have been worth it to keep them safe.

My prediction is that the next time all this surfaces as a storyline, Castle will get hit on the head and will start to regain his memory. Hey, I predicted the CotW when I heard the word "warehouse", so I could be right!

Like (very few) others, I liked Beckett's admission that she was following her heart and not her training. No, she wasn't choosing to believe that Castle was camping for two months, that has already debunked. He was somewhere where he contracted dengue fever. And then she finds out he was in Montreal and that he chose to leave a post mortem message rather than a real-time one of reassurance.

• Love 3

The story of when he was 11 may still be related to his disappearance even if it's not the reason for it. Obviously Castle remembers that still, or he wouldn't know what Fenkins was talking about. I do think we'll learn the story this season since Marlowe stressed in interviews that this season was about learning why Castle is so intrigued by murder. But he says a lot of things that are flat out wrong (or changed), so who knows.

ETA: while I didn't like Montreal overall, I think the end scene was pretty well done. It must be so hard for actors to have such unbroken eye contact that close to the other person. I really felt intimacy there, and I thought it was finally a good moment of communication for them.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

It does take a lot of time to shoot yes.

The closed set thing is sort of a Hollywood myth considering all sets are labeled "closed" at least in my experience.

Perhaps Elysium could shed some light as to her experience with that term. 

In my experience shooting any type of love/sex scene did involve a "closed" set, but that mostly applied to crew. It basically meant that only necessary personal would be allowed on set: DP, 1st and 2nd AD, hair and makeup, script supervisor, director (obviously), camera operator, maybe key grip and best boy (though not always), and sometimes VIPs like exec producers, producers, etc. Essentially they didn't want a bunch of PA's and grips and gaffers running around and watching the actors get it on. It's supposed to make the actors more comfortable. Shooting love scenes is like shooting a choreographed dance and it's not sexy at all. That said, the majority of my experience was in film where the cast and crew are only together for several weeks. On a serial TV show those guys are together for years - and I imagine they're much more comfortable with each other.

But what @halwideman said is basically true. All sets are essentially closed. The only thing that would be different is limited crew and no visitors on set. It certainly wouldn't be a hindrance to shooting love/sex scenes if they wanted to - hell, Scandal does it every week with no problem!

• Love 2

And then she finds out he was in Montreal and that he chose to leave a post mortem message rather than a real-time one of reassurance.

This reminds me of the podcast I was listening to just now and a point babygray brought up. Castle sends Beckett and his family a video and letters which if he had died would give them zero answers to what had happened to him and would probably have sent Beckett into yet another emotional meltdown to rival that of her mother's and finished her completely.

Better not to send the messages at all than having your loved ones wonder what made the person you love decide to take a time out for two months from their usual life suddenly and do something seemingly so bad that he had to have his memory wiped.  

Better not to send the messages at all than having your loved ones wonder what made the person you love decide to take a time out for two months from their usual life suddenly and do something seemingly so bad that he had to have his memory wiped.

If you get past the bizarreness of sending such post-fatality oblque messages as mentioned in the podcast (and there was a lot in Montreal that one had to just let go by rapidly), the next sticking point, both in the podcast and in other online reactions, has been either puzzlement or outrage that Beckett's was addressed to her apartment. This was one thing that didn't bother me, because I saw it as a failsafe, so that if the ones for Martha and Alexis had been intercepted in delivery, the one for Kate might have escaped capture (even if just by being delayed by forewarding). 

he next sticking point, both in the podcast and in other online reactions, has been either puzzlement or outrage that Beckett's was addressed to her apartment.

Now, I know I asked about the address on her envelope because I know fans pay attention to this.  But people were outraged? She still had her apartment in For Better or Worse, so she hadn't officially moved in yet.  She probably wouldn't have moved in if Rick died.   And if she had they have a thing called mail forwarding so she'd have gotten it any way.

• Love 4

The apartment business is something I've given up on them dealing with in any sensible way. It should have been sorted out last season. I'm not outraged by the fact she's still got it and has mail sent there, hell I expect to keep hearing about it and seeing her pop in when they're married and they've got kids. It seems they just don't want to get rid of the damn thing. May be they writers are angling for a future relationship a bit like Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter who are together but insist on keep their separate homes. 

So...I think I've mostly gotten bored with Castle as a show. I like the characters and the actors, and I'm down for more 3XK, but the rest of the old mythology and whatever new mythology they're building up...I'm just not sure I care. And I'm sick to death of the Roadblocks for Caskett soap opera. So I spent a good portion of the most recent episode staring at Seamus Dever's hair and trying to decide if it was just a combination of the length and lighting playing tricks or if he's starting to gray.

The water's great in the shallow end of the pool, by the way.

I liked the episode.  I didn't care about the MOTW storyline, but I enjoyed all the Castle/Beckett moments.  

First, I don't think Castle did something shady.  He clearly admits on the video that it was not his choice to be taken on his way to the wedding, and he also said that if she was watching the video, it meant he was dead.  He looked scared in the video.  My guess is that he was taken against his will for a specific purpose, and things spun out of control.  I did love the moment when Kate was watching the video, and she was watching Castle's message, and Castle said something like "I love you.  Always."  And Beckett just closed her eyes and let those words sink in.  I think she needed to know that he really was taken against his will.  As much as she loves him and knows that he was, in fact, kidnapped, I think she needed to see and hear that he loved her, wanted her, and that he was in danger.  After watching that video, I think Kate was in a much better place emotionally, while Castle was the opposite.

Second, when Castle made his second journey to Montreal and crossed paths with the bank guy who was holding him at gun point, the guy reveals a dark secret that Castle hasn't told anyone about, not even his mother or daughter.  The guy said that something happened to Castle, not that he witnessed something or that Castle did something, but that something "happened" to Castle.  I've been trying to figure out what that could be, and it clearly is a trauma for Castle.  I thought maybe he could have accidentally killed someone at the age of 11, but that doesn't really mean that something happened to Castle.  I thought about assault, but that's pretty dark.  It's a mystery.

Lastly, I liked how the episode ended.  Everyone (Kate, Alexis, his mother) are all content with the idea of just letting the secret and the mystery go and get on with their lives, but you could tell that Castle can't do that.  Like others have said, Castle HAS to figure out the mystery, and I think it haunts him that he may have asked to not remember.  Like he said, "What could be so bad that he felt he had to forget?"  I can't see Castle leaving this alone, and i'm wondering if he's also going to get flashes of memory in the next few episodes.  Also, him being shot is also an unanswered mystery.

I'm enjoying the season so far.

• Love 3

I liked the episode too. Somethings I don't see mentioned - if I missed, sorry- anyone else think Ryan's remark about a 2nd job will figure in to a case in the future?

Was the box Alexis got the safe deposit key from the same one Beckett put her mom's ring in?

And I wish Gina Rivera from the closer had more to do.

Second, when Castle made his second journey to Montreal and crossed paths with the bank guy who was holding him at gun point, the guy reveals a dark secret that Castle hasn't told anyone about, not even his mother or daughter.  The guy said that something happened to Castle, not that he witnessed something or that Castle did something, but that something "happened" to Castle.  I've been trying to figure out what that could be, and it clearly is a trauma for Castle.  I thought maybe he could have accidentally killed someone at the age of 11, but that doesn't really mean that something happened to Castle.  I thought about assault, but that's pretty dark.  It's a mystery.

I thought about a possible assault but I agree that's way too dark for this show. I hope to God they don't go there because there is no way they can do that story justice with the cackhanded, superficial way they tend to gloss over serious things that happen to characters. The writing just isn't up to it and I'd hate for them to saddle his character with something like that. 

Edited by verdana

Just watched this. (I had to work last Monday night.)

I want to retire and buy all the Martha outfits on eBay to wear and have somewhere to wear them.

I don't recall ever seeing (on crime shows) or reading about (in crime novels) that trick to get into a safety deposit box for which you have only a key (purchasing another safety deposit box). Anyone else? Maybe it's just because they aren't cheap and Castle is rich?

Edited by shapeshifter

I found the Ryan comment about him and Jenny being short of dosh really weird and random, they probably wanted to prove to the audience they hadn't forgotten he had a wife and child. If this was any other show that cared a damn about continuity I would say they are building up to some kind of story with this but it's Castle so no it will never get mentioned again. 

Edited by verdana

And maybe it's just me, but I'm completely confused as to what in the hell is going on with this new mythology. So Castle saw/did something when he was 11 that made him want to be a writer that no one knows about...and then he wants to be taken to do/see something but can't deal with the consequences so they Eternal-Sunshine-of-the-Spotless-Mind-him and now he can't/won't know what happened to him.

And Ben is Glory.

• Love 3