Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E00: Special: Naked and Awkward

Where has this show been? This "behind the scenes" look at the first three seasons was hilariously entertaining. Way more interesting than anything that has aired before.

I have never laughed so hard at N&A before. All the talk about poop, where they go, when they go, how they go, etc. Too funny. Especially the Hispanic (?) guy who was telling his partner that his diarrhea looked like Thanksgiving gravy.

Leech on my scrotum, snoring, morning wood, fleas, vajayjay bug bites, wiping your ass with leaves or a smooth rock, itchy butthole, lice, etc... the show would do well to inject these bits of humour into the show instead of making it so serious and boring and repetitive.

• Love 3

Loved this - except that they didn't answer the question of how the women dealt with getting their periods during the show. I know we assume that production gave them menstrual cups, but if they were giving details of poop they could have addressed the mystery of periods, too.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.  They mentioned the periods and had a few interviews of women talking about getting them, but they never said whether they actually gave them supplies.  I'm assuming they didn't get anything for the pain.  The conversation between the one girl and her partner about how she was going to get really bitchy in 10 days and then he responded that he would too was pretty funny.

My curiosity is that if you knew you were going to go on this show, and if you were on the pill, aren't there things you can do to adjust the timing so you don't get your period in the middle of the jungle/swamp/desert while butt naked and in discomfort?  I thought plenty of women play with the cycle (skip a week, add a week, etc) so they don't get their periods while on vacation.  Couldn't these women do the same here?  Or is three weeks too difficult to account for.

• Love 1

Lots of women (like myself) are not on the pill for a variety of reasons. If I was insane enough to go on the show, *maybe* I'd go on it just to control the timing of my cycle, but I am not sure. I'd need to avoid the curled-up-into-a-ball-nearly-weeping pain. Are they allowed medicine? They'd have to keep taking active pills during the show to suppress it. I understand that one person said someone was allowed to take their ADD meds.

When I first started watching the show, I assumed that the 21 day time period was specifically chosen so that they could try to schedule around the female participant's cycle - but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also, stress can make it happen (or not happen) without warning - so even trying to schedule around it might not have worked for a show where they get little sleep or food/water.  

On another note: I thought it was cute when Fernando (the firefighter) seemed uncomfortable about talking about morning wood in front of his wife.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Wow, there were way too many sloshing, plopping vomiting sounds for me. I just can't.

The period talk was a little much for me too and I'm no prude.

I wondered why morning wood is so "gross." What's gross about it? I find it delightful (in my bf.) I can see how it'd be awkward, but I fail to see what's gross about it or whatever word they used. OTOH, vomiting and diarrhea definitely would fall in the gross category, imo. Gees. But I agree, as mentioned, overall this eppy  was much more entertaining than the usual. Good call on that, Show.

The penis dance guy was quite hilarious, as were the dudes worried about shrinkage.

Fernando is hot.

That is all.

• Love 1

This was entertaining & gross & funny! More of this stuff on regular episodes please. I'm with y'all & wish they would've actually explained the period issue. I keep thinking about dirty hands & dealing with it & I get the skeeves.

I saw an ad for Tethered during this. I guess they're hoping to attract the looky-loo crowd of enforced togetherness. Ok fine I'm in for at least one show.

Where has this show been? This "behind the scenes" look at the first three seasons was hilariously entertaining. Way more interesting than anything that has aired before.

I have never laughed so hard at N&A before. All the talk about poop, where they go, when they go, how they go, etc. Too funny. Especially the Hispanic (?) guy who was telling his partner that his diarrhea looked like Thanksgiving gravy.

Leech on my scrotum, snoring, morning wood, fleas, vajayjay bug bites, wiping your ass with leaves or a smooth rock, itchy butthole, lice, etc... the show would do well to inject these bits of humour into the show instead of making it so serious and boring and repetitive.

I watched this show and enjoyed it but the part where they were talking about morning wood, there is a scene where a tattooed man gets up and there appears to be another naked man in the tent along with the woman and I could not figure it out, if someone could look into this scene it would be greatly appreciated.

Loved this - except that they didn't answer the question of how the women dealt with getting their periods during the show. I know we assume that production gave them menstrual cups, but if they were giving details of poop they could have addressed the mystery of periods, too.

I'm a newcomer to this show (and the boards here. Hi!) and was wondering too. A quick search yielded this clip where Laura is coaxed into talking about the Diva Cup. I can't imagine how she kept it sanitary, but I guess nothing is sanitary out there.

I can't imagine how she kept it sanitary, but I guess nothing is sanitary out there.

You only put it in once and take it out once, and we know there is a medic tent around where they can clean if necessary (as with EJ's foot infection in Africa). I imagine that in this situation, the medics/producers would keep the cup clean until it's needed, and then allow the user to wash their hands before using it. hopefully the same would be true at the end of the cycle.   

I'm a newcomer to this show (and the boards here. Hi!) and was wondering too. A quick search yielded this clip where Laura is coaxed into talking about the Diva Cup. I can't imagine how she kept it sanitary, but I guess nothing is sanitary out there.

That was the episode where two teams joined forces halfway through.

You only put it in once and take it out once, and we know there is a medic tent around where they can clean if necessary (as with EJ's foot infection in Africa). I imagine that in this situation, the medics/producers would keep the cup clean until it's needed, and then allow the user to wash their hands before using it. hopefully the same would be true at the end of the cycle.

I don't know anyone who could only insert and remove it once. I've been a cup user for years and there's no way that's possible. A cup will last about 2-3x longer than a tampon before it needs emptied.

Hopefully they do let them have access to handwashing and rinsing it! Otherwise it seems like a hotbed for introducing some nasty bacteria.

• Love 1

Periods probably aren't a issue, how often you get a period is based on nutrition and a woman who is getting sub-500 calories a day, like most of the people on the show, is going to pretty much stop having menstruation at all.

I think the answer lies in that it's a 21 day challenge.   I think once the woman ends her period, then they dump them at the insertion point or whatever they call it to start the 21 days. 

Periods probably aren't a issue, how often you get a period is based on nutrition and a woman who is getting sub-500 calories a day, like most of the people on the show, is going to pretty much stop having menstruation at all.

Nutritional amenorrhea happens when the level of available metabolites drops below a certain level, and this includes stored body fat.  Just a guess but with well-nourished women, I bet it'd take way longer than a couple of weeks to set in.  Unless the woman was an endurance athlete and pretty much near the edge already, good chance than most women on the show get their period out there.