Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Let's Grind Some Corn

Athena
  • Start Topic

Oh it has to be "Let's Grind Some Corn"!

I've been thinking about the episodes and the way they've been laid out. I do think that the show works. My husband is a non-book reader and does not think it is too slow. He said there is so much in each episode that you need time to rewatch and think about each one.

I had some trouble in the beginning being a book reader that I just wanted to keep going and get to the meat of the story that I was missing what was being presented. I'm just like that with the books. I read each one so quickly to get the story that I miss so much on the first read. He said that the characters and motives are being set up with care and it is good to see that.

I wonder how the show holds up with binge watching the first time instead of a week between each episode? It will be interesting to see after the midseason finale if new watchers come here and post their thoughts.

• Love 3

After Saturday's ep ---Outlander goes on some kind of hiatus? For how long? Will it resume where they left off? I mean they won't leave us hanging ? right?

Editing to say ---I mean they won't do some kind of time jump?

No time jump, fear not. And I heard it'll be back in January? Though I'm not 100% sure.

• Love 1

Thanks Kariyaki! I'm not a fan of time jumps. Hopefully the return in 2015 will be announced? I miss a lot of shows this way ---they go on hiatus and I forget to remember to find when they come back! it's a "thing"

Thanks Kariyaki! I'm not a fan of time jumps. Hopefully the return in 2015 will be announced? I miss a lot of shows this way ---they go on hiatus and I forget to remember to find when they come back! it's a "thing"

Heh, when I find out premiere dates, I put it in my phone's calendar so I won't forget. Also, once I have a show regularly recording on my DVR, it'll pick it up all by itself, even after a lengthy hiatus.

Everyone is speculating January because they assumed "Early 2015" meant January.  However, Black Sails premiered last January and the second season is upcoming although it just says 2015.  So if we go by that, Season 2 of Black Sails should premiere in January and I'm betting that Outlander will come right after.  

Ron already said that Starz split it because post production was taking longer, so if filming finished yesterday, I am thinking they probably will show Black Sails first and then move on.

This is purely my speculation though.

I agree. I think it will more likely be late February or March.

I just hope it won't be on the same time as Game of Thrones. I only order HBO when it is on and do the same with Starz for Outlander. I don't want to pay for both at the same time. $$$$

This reminds me I have to cancel Starz on Monday!

I wonder if they will base the mid season premiere off how many people cancel Starz after Monday.  They'll end the year on a bum note if there are a rush of cancellations on Monday before the start of the last quarter.  If they want their first quarter to start off with a kick, they'd be better off starting up again before April.  Mid-to-late March might be the best financial choice since they get a rush of subscribers in the first quarter, and then more starting the second quarter as word-of-mouth will increase interest.  Though, I'm just assuming the business year begins on Jan 1.  Whenever it begins, I'm betting that Outlander will be Starz's big money earner for the year and so the decision on when to start will be based on when it will benefit shareholders the most.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1

I wonder if the time the show restarts will be balanced with when they can air Season 2. If they plan to begin airing the latter in August again, then it will be a shorter wait to Season 2 then it will be between the first and second parts of Season 1 -- which I find kind of stupid. They have all this momentum going for this show and now they're going to kind of piss it away if they wait 6 months to air the concluding 8 episodes.

Edited by Nidratime

If they play it right, they could have Outlander airing in all four quarters next year.  Start in March and air through April.  Then start again mid september and air through October for a mini season and start up again next year in the same fashion.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about having this split season or if I want it to continue this way.  The one thing I really like about it is that there isn't as long of a wait time if they continue splitting them.  Though I'm so used to shows just getting their season on and then being done so I can move on to something else.  At this point, I like the show enough that I don't mind having my other shows in the year disrupted in favor of this one.  It might depend on the financial aspect or this season might have just been split because they needed to film at different times of the year to truly show a progression of time.  Can't really pretend it's summer if all the cast is made to wear fur coats.  

ETA: There goes my theory now that the announcement has been made that it was recommence on April 4.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1
I just hope it won't be on the same time as Game of Thrones. I only order HBO when it is on and do the same with Starz for Outlander. I don't want to pay for both at the same time. $$$$

If you can stand to wait on one or the other, you could hold one subscription while the other show finishes, and then switch subscriptions and binge watch on-demand to catch up on whichever one waited. If you can wait!

:/

If you can stand to wait on one or the other, you could hold one subscription while the other show finishes, and then switch subscriptions and binge watch on-demand to catch up on whichever one waited. If you can wait!

Heh, not likely:). Lucky it will be around tax refund time!

• Love 1

I keep all my premium channels all year. But I live in the frozen tundra so winters are long and cold and did I say long? yeah.

I am too lazy to set alarms or DVR's to record. Hopefully **fingers crossed** STARZ advertises that Outlander is coming back so I don't miss it. And from reading here Black Sails is coming back for season 2 in the winter of 2015? Cool that! Another good show.

I keep all my premium channels all year. But I live in the frozen tundra so winters are long and cold and did I say long? yeah.

I keep mine for the opposite reason: because it's too hot to go outside in the summer.

• Love 1

I know that the show coming back in January/February was only speculation, but I am still bummed. Game of Thrones comes back in April. The NHL playoffs start in April. And the season hasn't even started yet. The very special hell known as Kindergarten graduation rehearsals starts in April. How am I supposed to devote my fangirl energies properly to you show? How?

More seriously, I think coming back in the same month as Game of Thrones is a mistake. I realize they aren't on at the same time but it will be pretty hard to get any press or generate any buzz. Maybe your Facebook feed is different from mine but I'm pretty sure nobody will be talking about Outlander.

• Love 2

I watched the Pilot again today without fast forwarding through the 1940's stuff, and early in the episode when Frank talks about sketching Claire's hand, I'd never really paid attention to what she had told him, which was that while they were separated, she couldn't remember the sound of his laughter. I thought that was an interesting thing to note, since Jamie and Claire's marriage thus far has been lots of teasing and laughing at one another. I thought it was an interesting contrast. 

• Love 1

What I found interesting about that scene is that Frank didn't sketch her hand, he sketched the lines in her hand, the lines that predict that Claire's going to fall back in time and be married to two men at once.  It's like on some metaphysical level Frank knew what was going to happen to Claire.

• Love 2

So I finally just binge watched this show last week!

My boyfriend kept telling me it was good but I am not a fan of reading romances, so I thought I would dislike the TV show as well. That is not the case!

After reading pretty much this whole forum in the last few days, here are some of my thoughts.

I think it's well paced. The only part that dragged, for me, was the setup in the pilot, before Claire travels back in time. I almost gave up on it then, but when I eventually got to episode 2 I saw why that was necessary. After that, I just kept on watching. 

The chemistry between Jamie and Claire is off the charts. I was actually quite surprised that, in my view, we didn't have that many scenes between them (not counting the wedding episode). I thought the romance would take over the show, and I'm glad to see that so far, that hasn't happened. Most, if not all, secondary characters are quite interesting on their own. Of course, YMMV. 

I also am in the camp of those who didn't mind the lashing scene, and I actually thought it was an amazing character study of BJR. It's not about what he did, it's about how he views what he did, and how he feels about it. I was fascinated throughout that whole scene. 

And now I am doomed to wait til April with the rest of ye.

• Love 9

So I finally watched the entire season over the course of about a week and I enjoyed most of it. 

Random thoughts--

The voiceover stating the obvious was really irritating at times. Like, during the episode where they're hunting the boar and the dude gets gutted by the boar, the camera shows the guys intestines all uncovered and then we have the voiceover telling us the guy has a fatal wound. It's like no shit, show, I'm pretty sure we all got that. 

Claire is so Mary Sue at times I can't even. She reminds me of a slightly less annoying but just as self righteous version of Dr. Quinn. 

I liked the character of Dougal enough where I'm almost tempted to read the books to find out more of what he's like. 

Jamie and Jenny don't even look related let alone like brother and sister.

I'd like to see more of Colum's wife.

I think Jack is a compelling villain. Horrific and disturbing and as sick as they come but he's interesting and I like the whole twisted psychological aspect there. It's pretty depressing to learn though that people ship him with Jamie. 

• Love 4

Just listened to the following today. It's the latest podcast from Mary and Blake of OutlanderCast where they interview Allison Keene who is the TV Critic with the website Collider.com. They talk about her thoughts about the first season, the highs and lows, as well as about the cast and every other aspect of the show. She is not a book reader, so there's no spoilage about the future.

Outlander Cast: Season One Wrap Up w/ Chief TV Critic of Collider.com - Allison Keene - Episode 31

http://www.outlandercast.com/2015/08/outlander-cast-chats-w-chief-tv-critic.html

Edited by Nidratime