Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Ugh. That commercial is a bit of a mess.  The meatball surgery on the voice overs and visuals, combined with background music that's definitely NOT "Fight Song", but instead super-cliched "Ah ah ah" viking warrior music?  Yuck.  Makes it look much worse than the pilot actually was.

In contrast the original CBS "First Look" is looking better and better.  Regardless of how the Comic Book Guys of the Internet acted... it worked better than something like this.

That Comic-Con special actually has a 4-page Supergirl comic in it, plus a story on the show... and one other Supergirl Easter egg page if you look carefully.....

I actually find myself starting to be disappointed they aren't weaving in bits of footage from other episodes into these previews. They HAVE to have footage from at least a few episodes by now.  Mix it up a little (even if they still want to be conservative).  Sure, they're not going to have effects shots done for those other episodes, but you'd think some walk n' talk stuff would be available.

I mean even if they don't want to acknowledge the leak (that THEY probably caused--I mean come on--the effects were DONE), people saw so much footage with the First Look that they're still retreading, regardless.

(edited)

From that interview:

How would you describe the tone of "Supergirl" compared to some of the other superhero series? What was your vision for it?

We wanted it to be an intensely visual experience on as epic a scale as possible. We wanted to tell a story about a girl, in today's world, dealing with real-world issues, who happens to have super powers. <...> I truly feel the tone of this show is a mix of the two worlds of "Flash" and "Arrow," where "Arrow" is quite dark and "Flash" is effervescent. <...> The tone of this show is certainly closer to "Flash" than "Arrow," but it was important to keep this dark element of, "What's beneath the surface? What's in the DEO [Department of Extra-Normal Operations]?" It was also important for the villains to be as terrifying as possible, to make them the threat as realistic as possible.

I feel "Supergirl" has a larger scope than the other two shows. To me, it just feels bigger and has more individual tones. There's a romantic comedy, there's a working-girl environment, and then there's a dark, underground, almost "Homeland" vibe with the DEO. We have the science fiction element, the space element and all sorts of plans to weave all these tones throughout the season.

Again, I hope this show finds some ratings success, because it is soooo different from what CBS usually airs

Edited by Trini

I think I've heard this name only in relation to Wonder Woman actually killing him at some point. I think he was controlling Superman or something? IDK, I do not read comics. I just remembered that because I was surprised at a DC superhero actually killing a villain (I'm not big on this "no killing" rule).

I think I've heard this name only in relation to Wonder Woman actually killing him at some point. I think he was controlling Superman or something? IDK, I do not read comics. I just remembered that because I was surprised at a DC superhero actually killing a villain (I'm not big on this "no killing" rule).

Maxwell Lord created the Justice League International (kind of a B-Team Justice League though Batman, Black Canary and Martain Manhunter were still involved), and was sort of the Big Money Corporate backing the team.  Only during the prelude to the Infinite Crisis crossover event, it was revealed he had mind-control powers and had managed to get into Superman's mind making him go on a rampage (partly to prove a point about how dangerous Superman could be, especially if he fell under the influence of a malevolent being...).  Wonder Woman went to stop Superman but found the only way she could do so was to kill Lord and break his mind-control link, which she did so by snapping his neck.   Unfortunately for her, the Brother Eye surveillance network was recording the incident and broadcast it for the world to see.  Superman and Batman especially weren't cool with it (because of their No Kill policy), and the Justice League basically broke up over it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Spoiler-free review of the pilot.

In general (and bear in mind, it pains me to write this, as you’d be hard pressed to find someone who loves a good Superman story as much as I do), the general public seems to have lost their taste for the kind of earnest, “truth and justice” storytelling that goes into telling tales involving Kryptonians. On the other hand, it’s refreshing to see that there is no “deconstruction” of the mythos on display in Supergirl, and I found its earnestness (like that of The Flash) endearing.
Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

How Long Will Supergirl Be In The Shadow of Superman's Cape?

Charlie Jane Anders  7/15/15 2:53pm

http://io9.com/how-long-will-supergirl-be-in-the-shadow-of-supermans-c-1718075123

Big thumbs up that they namecheck the Donner films. Those weren't perfect, but they're certainly a better model than most of what's come since in the Superman world.

Too bad this show can't be spun as a direct sequel to those films (since Supes is off-screen he darn well COULD look like Chris Reeve), but Jimmy/James kills that idea, as do several of the other plot elements we've seen evidence of already. Also you know... those films being set 35-40 years ago--that kinda kills that idea!

Now that I'm starting to see ads for this on CBS, I'm thinking they should also have a less action-heavy promo to target CBS' typical demo.

The moment they do the nerds will come out in force whining about how "chick flickish/girlie" the show is though...

I mean it happened just based on a freaking SONG CHOICE in the original First Look, didn't it?  An actual targeted promo with less action? The nerd rage would be epic.

Just curious, what "CBS typical demo" do you mean? I know it's felt the network skews older, but it also keeps Criminal Minds and Person of Interest on the air.

Sorry, I missed your post. I mean the older viewers who are typically more interested in procedurals.

• Love 1
(edited)

Good point :)

New trailer, courtesy of the show's new Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmyqyCJrZg

Lord.  Was the chick flick music REALLY worse than the super-generic dum-dum-DUM! actiony musak they've used on promos since then?  Also the big flying words across the screen (WITNESS HER STORY, etc.) Ugh.  Is this how the uber-geeks REALLY want this marketed so that their balls don't shrink up inside their bodies due to some accidental estrogen ingestion (metaphorically, I mean)?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

That's the smartest possible thing they could have done, IMO, to get some good press and attention. Also you can tell Melissa has the ability to pull it off sincerely.

To me the only small c**** in the Supergirl Girl Power thing has always been that she's an alien. It's the same problem as Superman being Everyman via Clark Kent, but maybe magnified a bit because a girl being a role model for other girls is more direct than Superman being symbolic for the whole world.

That said, this all hinges on Melissa's ability to pull off being a bit of a mess, but not TOO much of a mess. Frankly I already think she's better at it than Emily Bett Rickards, who despite having no superpowers on her show, isn't all that identifiable with as a human being anymore.

• Love 1

The most hilarious "review" of Supergirl yet!  

There's clearly a language barrier (the writer is Filipino), nevertheless even keeping that in mind, it still comes off like it was written by a five year old on a tear about icky girls, not enough action, and who was "casted" (not a word!).

Why Supergirl (The Series) should be cancelled!  (note: not my spelling)

Edited by Kromm

The most hilarious "review" of Supergirl yet!  

There's clearly a language barrier (the writer is Filipino), nevertheless even keeping that in mind, it still comes off like it was written by a five year old on a tear about icky girls, not enough action, and who was "casted" (not a word!).

Why Supergirl (The Series) should be cancelled!  (note: not my spelling)

That is a new low in quality, even for Moviepilot.  It's bad when the thing that makes the most sense on the page starts with "My best friend's ex-wife makes $75/hr on the laptop."

Jenna Dewan-Tatum to Recur as Lucy Lane, Jimmy Olsen's Ex

This fall, Supergirl will be giving some serious side-eye to Jenna Dewan-Tatum; The Witches of East End alumna will recur as Lucy Lane on the CBS drama, TVLine has confirmed.

As we first reported, Lucy — sister of Lois Lane — is brash, funny and successful in her own right. In keeping with DC Comics lore, she will also be an ex-girlfriend of Jimmy Olsen (Mehcad Brooks), Kara’s new CatCo media conglom colleague. (Considering Kara’s immediate crush on Jimmy in the series’ pilot episode, Lucy’s presence will not be a welcome one.) 

Lucy Lane is one of several DC Comics characters to have adopted the Superwoman mantle, though there’s no word yet on whether that will play into Dewan-Tatum’s role on the show.

Dewan-Tatum is the latest in a string of Supergirl castings, including Chris Browning (Sons of Anarchy) and Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie).

Supergirl debuts Monday, Oct. 26, at 8:30/7:30c, before moving into its regular Mondays-at-8 time slot.

Edited by Artsda

Hmmm... that casting is an interesting gambit on DC's part.  But given that she's actually Mehcad Brook's age (she's younger by fewer than 40 days), and Melissa (and presumably Kara) is several years younger, it does lend credence to my theory that Jimmy is going to be more of a crush than an actual love interest.

FWIW, I liked the actress in The Playboy Club.

Might not be an actual spoiler, but there was some interview where Mehcad said

his character is acting as more of a mentor.

Anyway, I had figured that James Olsen wasn't going to be a true/main love interest when they cast Mehcad. Mainly because of the age difference.

They need to get at least a LITTLE new footage into commercials and promos, stat. I know any of it's barely been shot, and so only the non-FX shots will be ready, but even the people who HAVEN'T seen the leaked pilot have seen most of the damn episode by now via endless recycling of the same footage in spot after spot.

• Love 1

A few other reports of the TCA panel:

Deadline,

Variety,

Superherohype,

TV Line, and another.

They still saying 'no' to a crossover, but I still think that if Supergirl is a hit, and Flash and Arrow maintain their popularity, we might get something. Maybe not a major crossover, but a character that connects the shows. I think if it happens it would have to be in the 2016-2017 season, because there's way too much going on this season with setting up Legends.

• Love 1

Calista Flockhart Talks Bringing Cat Grant to Life for "Supergirl"

How do you balance the idea of her being really intelligent but not knowing that Supergirl is the one who brings her coffee in the morning?

Well, Cat might be guilty of being a bit of a narcissist, and she's very preoccupied with her business, and she has an assistant that is named Kara. That's what that relationship is at the moment, but I think as the series goes on, [i'm] hoping that we're going to discover more. I think Cat is going to become more and more aware of Kara [Care-ah] and start calling her Kara [Car-ah]. I think that there will be a relationship. I think that she'll become a bit of a mentor.

Edited by Trini