Type keyword(s) to search

The Fantastic Four (2025)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Pedro Pascal Shares First Photo of ‘The Fantastic Four’ Cast Together as Marvel Movie Gets Underway: ‘Our First Mission Together’
By Zack Sharf   Jul 25, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/fantastic-four-cast-photo-pedro-pascal-first-look-marvel-1236084435/ 

Marvel’s “The Fantastic Four” cast has officially assembled in person as the comic book tentpole gets underway. Pedro Pascal shared a photo on Instagram of the core foursome together with the following message to fans: “Our first mission together.” It would appear that Marvel unsurprisingly has a multi-film plan in store for this cast.

Directed by “WandaVision” helmer Matt Shakman, “The Fantastic Four” is set to star Pascal as Reed Richards (aka Mr. Fantastic), Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman), Joseph Quinn as Johnny Storm (aka the Human Torch) and Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Ben Grimm (aka the Thing). The supporting cast includes Ralph Ineson, Paul Walter Hauser, Natasha Lyonne and Julia Garner.
“The Fantastic Four” is set for release in theaters on July 25, 2025.

Screen-Shot-2024-07-25-at-9.18.14-AM.png 

Edited by tv echo

THE FANTASTIC FOUR: FIRST STEPS | Comic Con 2024 Panel (Vanessa Kirby, Pedro Pascal, Joseph Quinn)
Films That Rock   Jul 27, 2024

It sounds to me like there is no Victor Von Doom, but in the FF multiverse Tony Stark became Dr. Doom instead of Iron Man.  Those of us who have been wanting an accurate adaptation of Dr. Doom are of course not happy about this.  

It's also possible Dr. Doom has no connection to the FF at all, which is even worse.  But I am very thankful that at least Doom probably doesn't gain powers in the same accident that started the Fantastic Four. 

All this just strikes me as more proof that Disney/Marvel doesn't care at all about fans of the comic books.

(edited)

SDCC 2024: Fantastic Four Footage, New Title Revealed
By Timothy Adams - July 27, 2024 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/comic-con-sdcc-2024-fantastic-four-footage-new-title-revealed/ 

ComicBook was in attendance at SDCC, with a full breakdown of the Fantastic Four footage that was screened to the audience:

Spoiler

Reed Richards teaches a classroom. He explains there are alternate Earths and dimension but the kids only want to see an explosion. A rocket gets them excited. Reed and Ben joke with each other to a camera. Reed and Sue always have dinner, Sunday at 8 on the dot. The aesthetic looks like Tomorrowland at Disney World, all around. It's filmed in 4:3, looking like a retro television is playing it. The Thing is seen sitting on a dating show, but only as a silhouette. The team puts on astronaut suits, each with their last names on it. Sue jokes that Johnny is very single. A rocket, made of three rockets laid on in a triangle around it and one big centerpiece containing the passengers, lifts off into space. After the logo, Galactus' face closes in on the windows of a skyscraper. Part of his face can be seen through the glass. Michael Giacchino is doing the score.

Edited by tv echo

‘The Fantastic Four: First Steps’ Cast Panel | SDCC 2024 | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly   Jul 28, 2024

I've heard some people say that maybe we only see Doom in the post credits scene in the FF movie.  My guess is we at least get to see him a bit in a montage of the team's adventures.  And some references to Reed's past with him, hopefully.  Or maybe there will be a scene where Reed unsuccessfully seeks his help with the Galactus problem, and Doom goes off on some self serving speech.

Some have said it's unfortunate that we are unlikely to get a FF sequel where they face Doom.  I just hope that the first film does well enough to merit some sequels.  If "First Steps" loses money, like The Marvels or Quantumania, it's most likely the last Fantastic Four movie.  But at least they'll be in the next couple of Avengers movies.

Although I don't think it will happen, I wish the FF film would treat the story more as science fiction than superhero.  I think that was the problem with all the earlier ones.

• Like 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Although I don't think it will happen, I wish the FF film would treat the story more as science fiction than superhero.  I think that was the problem with all the earlier ones.

Kind of like a Forbidden Planet type of feel?  I could see that.  The Fantastic Four lends itself to a wide range of genres IMO.  Some people seem to suggest they spend most of their time in space, but that really hasn't been the case.  In the comics, I'd say 90% of the time or more they're on Earth.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 1
On 7/30/2024 at 9:16 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Isn't that exactly what they did with the last attempt?

• Useful 1

I don't think I saw that one, having been disappointed by the ones before. The description doesn't really sound like it, they just changed how they got their powers.

Part of a quote by that movie's screenwriter and EP, Simon Kinberg:
"....And this idea that they are scientists and that it’s almost like this science adventure, more than being superheroes, they are almost like scientific adventurers, that’s a big part of the movie too."

So it certainly wasn't executed well. 

• Like 1

The previous FF movies weren't bad because of genre or faithfulness, they were bad because of poor writing and development.  The 2015 one was rushed out to retain the rights, and the 05/07 films were made during the era of cheap and lazy comic book films.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/31/2024 at 12:09 PM, Trini said:

Isn't that exactly what they did with the last attempt?

The 2015 movie was hot garbage.  The most common genre I heard describing it was "Cronenberg body horror".  

I dislike the idea of having all four of the heroes being horrified by their body changes, because it takes away from the problems Ben has, who truly appears inhuman. Similarly, I dislike when they try to make most of them brilliant scientists, because that detracts from the uniqueness of Reed's character.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

One thing I really want to see in "First Steps" is Uatu, the Watcher.  He added so much to the original Galactus Trilogy.  And the Watchers looked pretty good in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

One thing I like about this movie:  It appears that it is restoring the original origin where the FF get their powers from cosmic rays in a space flight.  I hated that alternate "Ultimate FF"/Josh Trank version where they got their powers in a transportation accident.

Even worse was the idea that they were all teenage geniuses.  The FF is a family, not the X-Men or a team of Spider-Men.

• Like 3
(edited)

When I first saw Johnny's costume in the video above, I didn't really like it.  But the more I see it, the more I do.  It has a bright, optimistic look that should go along with the team and the retro 60's multiverse that they're in.

On 8/3/2024 at 6:48 PM, rmontro said:

One thing I like about this movie:  It appears that it is restoring the original origin where the FF get their powers from cosmic rays in a space flight.

Spoiler

I don't know if this needs spoiler quotes, but rumors are the above may not actually be true.  Rumors are the FF are actually from the main MCU world, but they were accidently sucked into the multiverse while exploring another dimension.  This exposes them to radiation, giving them their powers, and they take up residence in this retro 60s world, where they are lauded as heroes.  Later they will find their way home (with possibly Doom and Galactus following them).

This is similar to the rumors years ago about the FF being stuck in the Quantum Zone since the '60s.  The thing I like about this idea is that it means they are actually from the MCU, not just some visiting variants.

Edited by rmontro

The more I look at Johnny's costume above (I guess it's been removed?), the more I like it.  Some people say it looks like Fortnite, but I think it fits in well with the optimistic retro '60s future other world that they're in, with the bright colors and playful feel.  It looks like it would make a great "Major Matt Mason" style action figure, to make a reference going back more years than most people here would remember.

From Marvel's Infinity Saga Concert at the Hollywood Bowl on Aug. 30...

Marvel's Infinity Saga Concert at Hollywood Bowl (Friday 8/30/2024) - Fantastic Four score debut!
Steven Suwatanapongched   posted Sep 1, 2024