Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Sleeper

• Start Topic

A shocking discovery turns Daniel's world upside down. Johnny schemes a way to give Sam and Tory their edge back. The tournament reveals its location.

Premiere date: July 18, 2024

Kwon rules.  He's the best antagonist we've had so far.  His aura is perfect for the unbeatable champion.  We're really gonna have to suspend disbelief to think any of the Miyagi-Do kids could even touch him, let alone hang with or beat him.  The guy took out the previous best fighter and his 2 goons face to face, with no problem.  The only hit landed on him was when his back was turned, and it did nothing to him.

The actor did stunts for Shang-Chi, but we need him to be in a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter movie.  Or let him be a villain in the next Shang-Chi, whenever that happens.

• Like 2

So Sensei Kreese goes full Sith Lord with some Drill Instructor getting the troops to turn on the sociopath on the side. After hearing the rules of the team of 6 and have not a word from a Cobra Kai girl the obvious move is that he lures Lee to the dark side.

Miyagi-Do with its 5 All Valley champions and I beat losing Lee has to promote someone. "Pop-Pop" post war money will trust Miyagi with anything. That has to tie into Julie Pierce and The Next Karate Kid

I laughed too hard at the Cobra Kai student with cornrows who's been there since season 2 just kind of like this behind Miguel and Robbie when learning there can only be 6 competitors.

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

I feel like Devon was more excited about the sleepover in the beginning and would be more involved in getting some bonding time with them, but then she just got stuck talking to Johnny the whole time. The ouija board was funny and I'm glad Sam and Tory got to be more comfortable with each other. I do wish they'd brought up Tory shoving her into the buffet table the first time they met when Sam accused her of stealing the wallet which I've always believed Tory didn't mean to do and would've liked to be canonically right about.

9 hours ago, bettername2come said:

learning there can only be 6 competitors.

I have to call the show out for the false drama with this. In real life, people sometimes do not want to practice a martial art competitively. Some people are shy. Some people aren't interested. Some people have other obligations that would conflict with an overseas trip. Some people wouldn't be able to afford it (although having said that, money woes on this show also come and go as the plot dictates). It's weird that the show tried to suggest that 30-some kids were all going to get onto a plane and fly off to Barcelona so they could all compete together. Doubly so because most of these kids haven't been around long enough to be anything beyond yellow belts. But then again, this is a fictional universe where legal disputes can be solved with karate matches so maybe it does just work differently in their world.

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, dwmarch said:

people sometimes do not want to practice a martial art competitively

*Raises Hand*. I practice Shotokan Karate IRL, and I don't expect this show to be the tiniest bit realistic. That said, the belt thing does drive me a little crazy, how the kids wear white belts while training and Black belts in competition. That's not how belts work!!!

There are some Martial arts (Like some styles of Aikido) where there are only white and black belts. If Danny and Johnny decided to do away with Kyu (Coloured belts or junior) ranks for this particular style of Karate, then fine, but you are either a black belt are you aren't.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, marinw said:

*Raises Hand*. I practice Shotokan Karate IRL, and I don't expect this show to be the tiniest bit realistic. That said, the belt thing does drive me a little crazy, how the kids wear white belts while training and Black belts in competition. That's not how belts work!!!

There are some Martial arts (Like some styles of Aikido) where there are only white and black belts. If Danny and Johnny decided to do away with Kyu (Coloured belts or junior) ranks for this particular style of Karate, then fine, but you are either a black belt are you aren't.

It is the Miyagi way with the belt given to Danial only for the tournament because All Valley demanded it. But then all through Cobra Kai's run we have only had  the two tiers belt system as you described.

I guess the way of the  fist badge of the leader in the Korean Cobra Kai all black belt class being  the bad guy outlier from

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

But then all through Cobra Kai's run we have only had  the two tiers belt system as you described.

Stingray was wearing a yellow belt for some reason.

1 hour ago, marinw said:

Stingray was wearing a yellow belt for some reason.

He was recruiting Johnny to reclaim his true legacy. Without parents around to fund a martial arts business I think Stingray put up a true self assessment of his status 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Without parents around to fund a martial arts business I think Stingray put up a true self assessment of his status 

Thanks for the reminder. It's been so long since last season! A yellow belt opening his own dojo is the height of. hubris!

16 hours ago, dwmarch said:

But then again, this is a fictional universe where legal disputes can be solved with karate matches so maybe it does just work differently in their world.

It is also a fictional world where the adults that Kreese is training are somehow going to fight the kids of Miyagi Do. 

Also I am not sure I care about this Miyagi's secret past storyline. I really hope it turns into something good otherwise why even consider trashing the name of a dead guy. Or is it just to give Amanda something to do?

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It is also a fictional world where the adults that Kreese is training are somehow going to fight the kids of Miyagi Do. 

Also I am not sure I care about this Miyagi's secret past storyline. I really hope it turns into something good otherwise why even consider trashing the name of a dead guy. Or is it just to give Amanda something to do?

They took it upon themselves to fix The Next Karate Kid when it changed some of Mr. Miyagi's bio.

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think the necklace that Miyagi is accused of stealing was Mrs Miyagi's, and that guy stole it from her.  I'm guessing Miyagi and Pop Pop went to confront the guy and get the necklace back, maybe the guy who had it was a guard at the interment camp.  Pop Pop was the one who got violent when the guy refused to give the necklace back, knowing that Pop Pop had a gym and family, Miyagi agreed to take all the blame and fled.

There's a reason the grandfather said he owed everything to Miyagi.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I think the necklace that Miyagi is accused of stealing was Mrs Miyagi's, and that guy stole it from her.  I'm guessing Miyagi and Pop Pop went to confront the guy and get the necklace back, maybe the guy who had it was a guard at the interment camp.  Pop Pop was the one who got violent when the guy refused to give the necklace back, knowing that Pop Pop had a gym and family, Miyagi agreed to take all the blame and fled.

There's a reason the grandfather said he owed everything to Miyagi.

I am going with the war and Pop-Pop was saved in the incident that awarded Sergeant Miyagi the Medal of Honor.

• Like 1

Amanda low key trying to kick out Chozen is an increasingly hilarious plot.

Tory and Samantha at each others' throats was getting old, but I don't necessarily think that means they have to be total friends either. Getting along is fine enough. I'm glad that they weren't buying into Johnny's nonsense. I'm pleased to see the show is allowing the kids to be adults. 

I'm still not sure we need too much of the Korea scenes. Kreese is killing it. I do hope we find out how he got there. I like the mouthy dude though. I was thinking if they have more heart, then just rip it out. Dude can fight. I don't know which of the Miyagis is going to beat him.

I don't know if it's because it's been so long, but it seems like the comic timing is way sharper. Miyagi Nights? Nooooo. 

I hope this season is going to be more teambuilding focused like this and not infighting. Of course, limiting the team to 6 is going to unravel any good will. 

I'd like to see Sam step up and say Tory should be the captain and pull an Apollo Creed style to train her Rocky.

• Like 1

That opener was obvious but hilarious, especially Johnny reminding Daniel that Kreese is crazy enough to leave a live cobra in the car dealership, so he is also probably crazy enough to send them a bomb despite being a wanted fugitive. 

I hope that Tory, Sam, and Devin can have a girls night for real sometime, Devin seemed so excited to spend time with some other girls but she spent the whole time dealing with Johnny's hijinks. Girls Night with Johnny was pretty hilarious, Johnny is so going to nail being a girls dad. 

Not sure how I like the "Miyagi's secret past" plot, although I'm sure it will end up being something heroic not Miyagi actually beating and robbing someone. It does at least give more Chozen laughs, which is always a win.