Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: Conspiracy vs. Theory

• Start Topic

(edited)

Synopsis: 

The BAU enlists Voit to help capture Jade and Damien, the UnSubs behind the Gold Star killings. While Damien and Jade get the upper hand, the BAU must watch as Voit tries to negotiate with them in order to avoid a mass casualty event.

Air Date: Jun 27, 2024

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
Added more images!
  • Like 1

This rambled episode accomplishes nothing.

Am not a trained profiler but even I know from the get go that the grey van is a test. There’s no need to immediately open fire and blow their cover. Let the van goes through and continues to assess the situation. Only Rossi and the sniper keep their eyes on Voit while the rest are distracted and consumed by the bomb.

Knowing how determined and meticulous Damien and Jade can be, the BAU should’ve figured out that at least one of them will be in close proximity. No help from the local police on the ground, canvassing the area? Damien manages to sneak into Voit’s van in plain sight is just ridiculous.

Emily disclosing to Brian about her “alternative” technique and resource in locating anyone off-the-grid is just stupid. I have enough of Emily/Brian subplot, it’s really boring. I don’t care about the “Teresa is in trouble” bit TBH.

Up to this point, I have lost confidence in Emily Prentiss’ leadership and the BAU’s competency. They are not functioning as a team. They are busy smoking and cursing. Please bring Aaron Hotchner back!!!

When Penelope condescendingly criticizes Voit for being smelly, I wish Voit could’ve responded by saying “why a 50yo woman dresses like a 20yo in a professional environment?”. That would be epic. But of course it will not happen because Penelope is a protected species. 🙄

I hate it when Voit talks about Tynelope and the vibes between Garvez. It’s nauseatingly juvenile and cheesy. Her romance is insignificant. STOP IT. 😡

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Am I the only one annoyed at the fact Voit is still around this season… he wasn’t even an interesting “big bad” in the first place.  

Nope. Honestly, I hate this season because of it. 

• Like 4

All the quips from Voit are annoying. I'm so confused about what is going on -- the gold stars and north stars and how the only 2 people -- Voit and the FBI guy he shot -- were supposed to know about it, but obviously others do too, and I don't really care what it is or who Brian is and what he knows. This is all very tedious and irritating. But I'll keep hate watching and hope we finally get an answer. 

Also-- what was with Voit smelling? I thought it would be part of the plot in some way. 

I noticed Spencer's nameplate was still on his desk. I miss him. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I am just so disappointed in this series. I signed up for Paramount+ just so I could see this show, but I haven't been enjoying it. I am trying to follow this episode and the whole thing is just so damn dark, I can't see a thing - even the jet shots are darker.

Plus, as others have said, it is too confusing and complicated needlessly. 

I agree with @jackjill89. I don't care about whoever Brian is and I am still sick of so much time wasted on Penelope and her "relationship."

Oh yeah - I totally miss Spencer, too. I can watch CM marathons most days and really enjoy the original team. Most of the times they just start with Season 11 and go to 15. One of the channels has started again with season 1, so that makes me so happy, but that channel only has the marathon on Mondays. But, now I remember that I never liked Elle. For me, the perfect team was Gideon, Hotch, Derek, Prentiss, JJ, Rossi, and of course, Dr. Spencer Reid. I never liked any of the new people they brought in when JJ and Emily were off. Never liked Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jeanne Tripplehorn (?), Aisha Tyler. Or Adam Rodriguez (with his mouth open all the time). I DID really like Daniel Henney and would like it if he came back.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Adam Rodriguez (with his mouth open all the time)

I thought I was the only one, this is bugging me!

• LOL 1

I haven't watched this season at all, was wondering if I should fork some money over to Paramount, but now......   

Even in the earlier seasons, it would irritate me when they would run around in the dark and occasionally blow things up.  Honestly, if they're trying to save money on lighting, they may as well save it on the cast as well, if no one can see them.  Who knows?  Maybe MGG has been there all along.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, JMO said:

I haven't watched this season at all, was wondering if I should fork some money over to Paramount, but now......   

Even in the earlier seasons, it would irritate me when they would run around in the dark and occasionally blow things up.  Honestly, if they're trying to save money on lighting, they may as well save it on the cast as well, if no one can see them.  Who knows?  Maybe MGG has been there all along.

Thank you! Yes, this is not a new problem, I always used to gripe about how it was too dark to see Morgan break down his umpteenth door, or whatever. It was an issue for YEARS. 

• Like 2
(edited)

To be fair, the apparent bad lighting is not a problem for this show only.

I read somewhere, and have experienced, that many people complain about several shows being too dark. It seems the reason is that because of the high definition digital format, they have to shoot with a particular camera setup. Apparently, if you are not watching with "right" screen, everything will look darker.

I'll see if I can find one if the articles I read and add it to this post.

Here's one: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/why-movies-so-dark-hard-to-see-batman-1235195535/

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/27/2024 at 7:13 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Knowing how determined and meticulous Damien and Jade can be, the BAU should’ve figured out that at least one of them will be in close proximity. No help from the local police on the ground, canvassing the area? Damien manages to sneak into Voit’s van in plain sight is just ridiculous.

I had to stop watching Sons of Anarchy at one point because somehow the Sons were all so much smarter than all of law enforcement combined. This show is walking that line for me too. Like those two yokels are smarter than the entire FBI group and police? This is why they can't bring Spencer back. He'd wipe the floor with the "big bad" this season. (Or they'd make him bumbling and stupid too and that would the actual "big bad.")  

On 6/28/2024 at 5:49 AM, BellyLaughter said:

Am I the only one annoyed at the fact Voit is still around this season… he wasn’t even an interesting “big bad” in the first place.  

I didn't love it last season and I'm loving it even less now. I would prefer someone, anyone else. 

The worst part, is that it is kind of a cool concept. How to delineate conspiracy theory from actual conspiracy. Or what happens when conspiracy theories become actual situations. 

• Like 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

To be fair, the apparent bad lighting is not a problem for this show only.

I read somewhere, and have experienced, that many people complain about several shows being too dark. It seems the reason is that because of the high definition digital format, they have to shoot with a particular camera setup. Apparently, if you are not watching with "right" screen, everything will look darker.

I'll see if I can find one if the articles I read and add it to this post.

Here's one: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/why-movies-so-dark-hard-to-see-batman-1235195535/

Thanks for the info, @WearyTraveler.  The irony of filming in HD being a reason why things on screen are too dark to see anything is not lost on me.  The article also mentions the vision of the filmmaker, and a desire to film things as they are, which begs the question of exactly how they are living their lives.  

Edited by JMO
On 7/1/2024 at 10:54 AM, JMO said:

Thanks for the info, @WearyTraveler.  The irony of filming in HD being a reason why things on screen are too dark to see anything is not lost on me.  The article also mentions the vision of the filmmaker, and a desire to film things as they are, which begs the question of exactly how they are living their lives.  

Apparently in the dark most of the time. 

Between the dark shots and the unevenness of sound on shows/commercials it is not always fun to watch tv //end crabby old lady rant//

Oh boo hoo, poor Emily, so devastated that she's been betrayed by some putz from her building she has to jam a cigarette between her lips and throw herself into Dave's arms like she needs a surrogate Daddy.

Didn't she used to be tougher?

I can get Emily having a stressful moment in and of itself and kind of cracking under the pressure - it's weird sometimes the things that will shake you up and the things that won't. But yes, given she, y'know, literally faked her own death at one point, it does make her being so rattled here a little surprising. 

I do like hte interaction and tension between Emily and Rossi this season, though. It is funny how they're calling each other out on their behavior while trying to insist they're doing okay...but that's also par for the course with this team in general. 

I can deal with Volt being around in and of itself, since this is an ongoing, season-long arc, but yeah, one might think there's got to be other ways to keep him part of the story without him infiltrating his way into the BAU headquarters like he is, or on the jet. I did like JJ flat out telling him to shut the fuck up, though :D.