Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

It's 1:30am and I'm up watching the live broadcast of the first day of eventing, dressage. I LOVE this! I orefer the individual dressge better though, it's more involved, but this is a great start. 

The Versailles venue is gorgeous! Really one of the nicest, if not THE nicest I've ever seen! Wow.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't go back to sleep.  So, I turned the TV on and the first part of three day dressage was on.   I only lasted through 4 competitors, but at least I saw it. 

The rerun on E! network later was very good.    Today's cross country on E! is good also, with a 6 p.m. Central on USA tonight in case anyone missed it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I woke up in the middle of the night, and couldn't go back to sleep.  So, I turned the TV on and the first part of three day dressage was on.   I only lasted through 4 competitors, but at least I saw it. 

You did good! If you never rode it can get repetitive but it's so interesting in tbe nuances. F I r example, one of thr horses was swishing his tail aLOT and they get a points deduction fir that because it shows the horse is bothered by something the rider is doing so there is a lack of harmony. Little things like that are so fascinating to me. Later today is the remainder of the dressage day fie the 3 day eventing. Tomorrow is Cross country and the course is supposed to be incroyable! At some points they will gallop over suspended bridges that criss cross the water features.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I am watching the dressage on Peacock and it sounds like there is a woodpecker somewhere nearby.  Is that noise something to do with the competition?

• LOL 1
(edited)

I'm watching right now (NBC, cross country) and I have know idea who the female commentator is, but I assume a former champion because she certainly isn't a trained broadcaster.  She has so many plums in her mouth I can barely understand a word, and I'm British, so you'd think I'd speak the language . . . 

Gorgeous course though!

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Swirly Temptress!  What a fabulous name.

And wow, just noticed, pretty fabulous looking rider too.

(Sorry, I'm not usually this shallow.)

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I'm watching the horse jumping (not entirely sure what it's called) event and holy cow is the setting beautiful. The greenery, the water, the course. It's just picture perfect French outdoors. It's crazy how close the crowds are to the competitors. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm watching the horse jumping (not entirely sure what it's called) event and holy cow is the setting beautiful. The greenery, the water, the course. It's just picture perfect French outdoors. It's crazy how close the crowds are to the competitors. 

3 Day Eventing 
Day 1: Dressage (aka Dancing Horses!!)
Day2: Cross Country (which is more rustic jump/horse racing)
Day 3: Event Jumping. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

It’s Versailles!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

It’s Versailles!

I know and it's stunning! I'm glad the weather finally cleared so it could be enjoyed for all of its beauty. The course designers deserve a round of applause. 

• Like 3

Seems like all horses cleared today's course without major injuries, which is not always the case, so that's a great relief! Beautiful course, absolutely stunning and a once in a life time opportunity to ride that at Versailles!

Looking forward to tomorrow's team jumping!

• Like 4

I was happy to see that one of the NBC properties (USA? E!?) had Cross Country in prime time last night!  What a beautiful course and a lovely variety of jumps.  Good on everyone who finished with no penalties, and I'm glad those who fell were able to get back up again.

Fingers crossed I'll get to see jumping tonight!

• Like 5

Wow. German rider Michael Jung just won his third gold medal at the Olympics. He previously won gold in 2012 and 2016. He was riding a new (to him) horse named Chipmunk who made it look easy. My eyes are leaking as I’m so happy watching all these wonderful horses at this stunning setting for the Equestrian events. 

• Like 5

I rarely watch the equestrian events but somehow lucked into eventing on the first day and I'm hooked.  Especially the cross country - they built a magnificent course for it.  Agree about Jung - he was great.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I rarely watch the equestrian events but somehow lucked into eventing on the first day and I'm hooked.  Especially the cross country - they built a magnificent course for it.  Agree about Jung - he was great.

Get ready for the real dressage, it's going to be amazing!

• Like 3

Bad news. Today was the team and individual qualifying for Dressage. Unfortunately for U.S. rider  Marcus Orlob, blood was spotted by a judge (as he was riding in the ring) and his horse Jane was disqualified. That doesn’t bode well for our team (now short a rider) competition. Denmark and Great Britain now lead. 
How sad to get all that as only to get pulled out of competition. 

4 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Get ready for the real dressage, it's going to be amazing!

You may especially like the Freestyle dressage on Sunday. That’s when they pair their movements to the music of their choice to make a dance between the horse and rider. It’s usually a lot of fun to watch. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I have to mention the blood on Orlob's horse was on her lower leg, not blood from the mouth, or from a spur mark.    From what I read it was very crowded in the approach to the arena, so either the horse gouged her leg, or something else.   Dressage has rules about visible blood from spurring, or from the mouth.  

The commentators, Randy Moss, and Melanie Smith Taylor just babble on constantly.    I'm dreading their commentary on the Freestyle finals, and hope they won't babble through the music too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

The woman doing the commentating during the dressage was interesting - she was talking about the relationship between rider and horse and said, "It's like taking the hand of a small child to lead them into a cave," and I'm sitting on my couch going, "What the hell? Who leads a small child into a cave?"

• LOL 9
On 7/30/2024 at 1:25 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have to mention the blood on Orlob's horse was on her lower leg, not blood from the mouth.    From what I read it was very crowded in the approach to the arena, so either the horse gouged her leg, or something else.   Dressage has rules about visible blood from spurring, or from the mouth.  

Just before he entered the ring for his test, his horse was unsettled and wasn't bucking but was acting up and it may have nicked it's fetlock area then. They don't seem to know. It's a shame though.

• Like 2

Tonight (afternoon our time) IMG_2577.thumb.jpeg.674b023c604205ce89491bef6b4a950c.jpegbegins the qualifying for the stadium jumping. I’m rooting for McLain Ward. I used to ride with his Dad Barney. I’m grateful they have coverage on the E channel from 4-6. I hate when I just get clips of the winners. I like to watch the whole class. I’m also interested to see what the jumps will look like tonight. I thought the French had some nice ones on the cross country portion of the 3 Day Eventing. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, surfgirl said:

The venue, the courses, the jumps, everything has been 'the best ever'. It will be hard to look at other venues after Versailles!

True. It will force other countries to up their game. I just wish there was more television coverage of riding in general. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I’m currently watching. I’m seeing a weird looking jump they are calling the wall (the second one after the water jump) that shows a picture of a couple on it. Does anyone know who? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
More about the fence

I don't know anything about the sport and I haven't seen much of it so far, but the Versailles setting is stunning. And I thought the Swiss horse Toubleu de Rueire was one of the most gorgeous horses I've ever seen.

tokio-japan-30th-july-2021-equestrian-sporteventing-olympic-preliminary-individual-dressage-baji-koen-equestrian-park-melody-johner-from-switzerland-on-toubleu-de-rueire-in-action-credit-friso-gentschdpaalamy-live-news-2GAC9JH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The Team finals are just starting on the E. Channel. The course is beautiful and some of the jumps look either tall (vertical) or wide (oxer). I Love the grape themed obstacle. Very French. Off to watch as it’s on now…

• Like 2
(edited)

After two clear rounds by the Americans McLain Ward and Karl Cook, we are guaranteed at least a Silver medal in the team jumping. Of note. Cook was our substitute rider. Unfortunately Kent Farmington's horse displayed allergy symptoms and had to be scratched from competition. Cook has gone clean every round. Way to step up Sir. 👏🏻

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m currently watching. I’m seeing a weird looking jump they are calling the wall (the second one after the water jump) that shows a picture of a couple on it. Does anyone know who? 

I am watching the jumping now and I think the couple on that wall jump might be Serge Gainsbourg  and Jane Birkin?

20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

True. It will force other countries to up their game. I just wish there was more television coverage of riding in general. 

Honestly, I'm not sure any country, maybe NL, would have the venue that Versailles is! It truly is a once-in-a-lifetime venue. Then again so many of the Paris venues are iconic! The fencing in the Grand Palais is mind blowing! The beach volleyball with the Eiffel Tower just there, incredible. Maybe we should just award France all the Games now! I'd be good with that!

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 8/1/2024 at 11:05 AM, surfgirl said:

The venue, the courses, the jumps, everything has been 'the best ever'. It will be hard to look at other venues after Versailles!

I thought that location looked pretty swanky.  😀

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

The jumping final is running tonight on USA network at 8 pm central.   They usually show a ton more jumping rounds than NBC or even the E! showing in the morning.  

And Dressage finals are Saturday and Sunday on E! at 2:00 central and 2:45 central.  

Jumping individual is Monday 3:00 pm central on E!

Finals at  6 am central E! Tuesday, and reruns at 9:15 am central on NBC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

And Dressage finals are Saturday and Sunday on E! at 2:00 central and 2:45 central.  

Thank you for this!  I like all the equestrian events, but Dressage is my favorite, and I couldn't figure out when it would be shown.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 8/2/2024 at 7:22 PM, Browncoat said:

Thank you for this!  I like all the equestrian events, but Dressage is my favorite, and I couldn't figure out when it would be shown.

You're welcome.     I can find when they are showing it, but no one posted an order of go yet, so I guess it will be surprise.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

I hate how Randy Moss keeps saying listen to the music, and then talks over it.  Why aren't they showing the name of the rider and horse at the top of the screen?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 3

Yes. That’s driving me crazy too. My friend (she’s French) went to this event today and this broadcast is annoying and not giving me the information needed for me to understand. I’m about ready to give up on it. I have my volume up to hear the music and then Melanie chirps in. How did she qualify to commentate anyway? She rode jumpers and didn’t show in dressage. Cheap lackluster coverage by the network 😡

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I agree!  I tuned in to see pretty horses dancing to interesting music, not to hear the announcers ramble on about whatever they're rambling about.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Count me in with you guys, I had to shut it off before Horse and Ride #1 finished because Randy Moss would.not.shut.the.fuck.up. Then the moment he stopped yapping to take a damn breath, Melanie starts flapping her yap. Who do we email to complain about these two idiots?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Who do we email to complain about these two idiots?

I did on Twitter (X) and tagged NBC Sports and the Equestrian people running the teams. Lots of people agreed with me that the lack of music and chit chat ruined it for them as well. Hopefully they take note. I may email NBC Sports as well. It ruined what have should have been an entertaining class. My friend in France went to see it. She said it was wonderful. She heard all the music and was spared the commentary save the scores at the end. She felt badly that it blew for me. I said it had nothing to do with her host country. There couldn’t have been a lovelier venue and set up for all these equestrian events. 
   Today I’m moving on to the Individual Show Jumping which will be shown here on the E channel at 4pm EST. Best wishes for all our athletes. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Well it’s 4:10 and they are showing 3X3 Women’s Basketball. 
It’s obvious that Equestrian events are not important to NBC. 
Even went to the Peacock app and it’s the same thing. I’m leaving it on in case. 
Riding horses at the Olympic level is a very very expensive sport. Millions are spent on the horses alone. You’d think with that kind of dosh involved that they’d give it more attention. I think one of the reasons they did in the Tokyo Olympics was because Bruce Springsteen’s daughter Jessica was riding in it and the celebrity status gave it more weight. She got a lot of press and hence more coverage.**I do not wish to take anything away from the fact that she does have talent and is a very good rider**  She deserved to be seen; as do the other competitors. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 2
(edited)

They changed the schedule.    Just a while ago by the way, equestrian is supposed to be 5 pm eastern, 4 pm central.  (I checked the schedule this morning, and it still said 3 central/4 eastern).   

Finally, it's on E!

Tomorrow on cable is 6 am central E!, and 9:15 am central NBC.   Of course, after this schedule change who knows.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well it’s 4:10 and they are showing 3X3 Women’s Basketball. 
It’s obvious that Equestrian events are not important to NBC. 
Even went to the Peacock app and it’s the same thing. I’m leaving it on in case. 
Riding horses at the Olympic level is a very very expensive sport. Millions are spent on the horses alone. You’d think with that kind of dosh involved that they’d give it more attention. I think one of the reasons they did in the Tokyo Olympics was because Bruce Springsteen’s daughter Jessica was riding in it and the celebrity status gave it more weight. She got a lot of press and hence more coverage.**I do not wish to take anything away from the fact that she does have talent and is a very good rider**  She deserved to be seen; as do the other competitors. 

If Jessica was riding, Bruce would've been front row center at her events and you'd better believe NBC would be covering every minute of it in prime time.

I agree, the equestrian events are really fascinating and deserve more attention.

• Like 5

This morning for the individual jumping finals, E! coverage was supposed to start at 6 a.m.   I turn it on 15 minutes early to find out that the coverage already started.    At least the two commentators didn't yak as much.      

• Useful 1

Ah gee. That was disappointing, but probably not as much as the Top Rated rider from Sweden that took a tumble. I have to give it to the course designer. These are big and wide jumps. A true test of ability. Kudos to NBC who finally showed a scheduled equestrian event on time!