Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: I Could Not Prevent It

• Start Topic

What a showcase for Sam Reid. Sublime.

I am sure there will be people who will use the events outlined in this episode to feel vindicated that Lestat wasn't as bad as Louis put forth in S1, but for me the tenor and tone hasn't changed especially in regards to the fight in S1E05. 

• Like 6

That was riveting and brutal. I don't even like Claudia, but her defiance at the end was amazing. The whole trial had a subtle nod to "A Matter of Life and Death", one of my favorites. Ben Daniels has been delicious all season!

Sam Reid is one of the most beautiful creatures on earth....

• Like 5

There was one subtle bit in this episode that I really liked. They paid off that mention in a previous episode about vampires hanging off the side of the Eiffel Tower. We see in this episode that the reason they were up there was so they could broadcast to Lestat. But the Eiffel Tower isn't tall enough to give you line of sight to New Orleans so it seems they did it just to be theatrical. It could also be that they were using it as an antenna since we have seen that the vampires can make lights flicker, implying some electrical type powers. But since they haven't actually said anything about that, I prefer the idea that while they could have broadcast to Lestat from anywhere (like Armand did in a previous episode) they just wanted to be as over-the-top as they could be.

• Like 5

This new perspective of Claudia’s turning revealed an even bleaker motivation for her creation than I thought. It’s no secret that her vampiric existence has never been about her, but seeing Louis dragging along her charred body and claiming she was ‘their beautiful little daughter’ whilst knowing nothing about her, was amazingly creepy. And beyond selfish. A bandaid for a shitty marriage indeed. It was never about ‘saving’ her and all about saving their marriage. They needed a buffer and created her with little thought to how an eternal childhood would weigh on her, how she would be doomed to suffer a miserable existence, never being seen as the adult she truly was. Lestat mentions all this but goes along and turns her anyway, nullifying his protests. The fact that Claudia was fully aware of and punished for her position in their family makes her death all the more tragic. 

Although, spectacle that it was, at least she wasn’t alone. I was sure Madeleine would desert her when she was offered an out, but was glad to be proven wrong. 

But the excuse that Armand, an all powerful ancient who could affect minds with a whisper, was suddenly so overcome with fear for his life that he could do nothing but watch as his Louis & Claudia were tortured, is so pathetic and transparent I can’t believe Louis bought it for a second. And given his manipulations, I also wonder about Armand’s version of Claudia’s death because while it was disturbing, the way Armand described it to Daniel seemed almost too tidy.

So did Lestat’s return. 

Seeing him in all his campy glory was fun but something about his performance was stilted. I thought the wooden delivery of his lines was a purposeful plot choice at first, but his accent slipped so many times in this episode that it was hard to tell. 

I did like his final scene with Claudia though. I’ll miss her. Bailey Bass’ version brought a gleeful, vicious sweetness to the more childish version of her that I really enjoyed, but Delainey Hayles’ performance elevated the sometimes iffy material and sold the idea of an adult trapped in a childish prison. I’ll miss her character. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, babyrambo said:

But the excuse that Armand, an all powerful ancient who could affect minds with a whisper, was suddenly so overcome with fear for his life that he could do nothing but watch as his Louis & Claudia were tortured, is so pathetic and transparent I can’t believe Louis bought it for a second. And given his manipulations, I also wonder about Armand’s version of Claudia’s death because while it was disturbing, the way Armand described it to Daniel seemed almost too tidy.

So did Lestat’s return. 

Seeing him in all his campy glory was fun but something about his performance was stilted. I thought the wooden delivery of his lines was a purposeful plot choice at first, but his accent slipped so many times in this episode that it was hard to tell. 

Oh, Armand had to have orchestrated at least some of that.  Anything that wraps together so many of one character's wants into one event that leaves him primarily blameless?  Santiago might think it's all his idea, but I've doubts.

Claudia's gone--Armand wanted that.

The Lestat appearance and participation--that was designed to drive more distance between Lestat and Louis, and Armand was all too aware of Louis inability to really move on from Lestat.

It also, arguably, might give Armand an in with Lestat.  After all, Lestat's traitorous offspring are being dealt with.

Louis is now more vulnerable and has confusion and doubts about his own mind.  It would be easier to rearrange his thoughts and/or memories into something more aligned with Armand's wants/needs.

There is no way that old, powerful Armand was unable to get away from one measly little junior guard.  And there was one or two cut-aways to Armand's box, and his face was definitely not overcome with sorrow.  It wasn't quite smiley and smirky, but it had that feel.

As for the Lestat performance (and Sam Reid performance, I guess)--I think, too, that at least the majority of the woodenness is intended to emphasize Lestat's difficulty and possible unwillingness to be there.  There was a script.  How much of that was Lestat given input into?  And how much of it was his actual thoughts/feelings?  It's not out of the question that Lestat is being controlled or influenced at times.  He was nearly killed at Marde Gras and might not be back to full strength, yet.

3 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

What a showcase for Sam Reid. Sublime.

I am sure there will be people who will use the events outlined in this episode to feel vindicated that Lestat wasn't as bad as Louis put forth in S1, but for me the tenor and tone hasn't changed especially in regards to the fight in S1E05. 

I think you're right.  It doesn't substantially change things.  It does present a slightly different point of view--but we all remember things slightly differently.  It's difficult to know how much of that was Lestat's true feelings in this third-hand, scripted retelling (You know Santiago and Armand had say in that script.), but there was clear guilt and clear acknowledgement that Lestat was to blame for some of it.  

• Like 3

I don't buy that Armand could not stop this trial. I don't buy that Armand could not control his coven. I don't buy that Armand was suddenly in fear and defenseless. Remember how powerful Armand is. 

I don't buy that Lestat was there entirely out of his own free will. Remember how powerful Armand is.

At least Claudia knew that someone loved her in those final moments for herself, someone decent. Madeleine did not deserve her fate.

Lestat started out this season much maligned by the writing and by having no voice himself. I maintain he still hasn't a voice for himself.

Louis has sunk in my regard with every episode this season. Has he hit rock bottom yet? I don't know.

Louis and Lestat should never be together again, they bring out the worst in each other.  Louis so deserves the beige pillow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I don't even like Claudia

I really liked her this season. The first actress was just bad and came off more as spoiled brat than an dault trapped in a teenagers body and slowly going mad because of it. Changing actors for her was the best decision the show ever made and I shall miss her.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, babyrambo said:

I also wonder about Armand’s version of Claudia’s death because while it was disturbing, the way Armand described it to Daniel seemed almost too tidy.

Well there was that brief bit at the start, where they forced Claudia's body into the rat cage. Was that just a brief bit of torture? Or is Louis remembering, just for a moment, how she actually died? 

• Like 2

Claudia has always been my favorite character so I was curious about how the whole death would be worked out.   The tragedy of Claudia was on full display which was compounded by the fact that she finally found someone who loved her for her.  

• Like 5

What a good episode.  Why is Louis' memory so unreliable?  He forgot how/why Claudia was turned when I thought that would be something you never forget.

Armand is full of shit, like always.  Not sure why Louis has stayed with him all those years.

I'm surprised Lestat didn't kill the guy that called him the awful name.  I'm surprised the audience weren't scared when he moved so quickly.  This new view of Lestat is interesting.  I hope the show is renewed.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, peridot said:

Why is Louis' memory so unreliable?  He forgot how/why Claudia was turned when I thought that would be something you never forget.

While I don't put it past Armand to have tweaked some areas of Louis' memories, Louis has rejiggered his memories on his own in order to bring himself peace of mind.  S1 he told Daniel Claudia couldn't burn Lestat, when after some prodding he faces up to that it was him who wouldn't allow Claudia to burn him. That he was more broken by killing Lestat than he let on.  I can see why he would downplay how adamant he was for Lestat to turn Claudia because it would be facing the reality that he condemned her to a  life he didn't even enjoy.  He was warned, but he needed salvation for himself and Claudia so he pushed for her to be turned.  Then as time went on and he was faced with her reality of being in a body that never matured, seeing people live lives she couldn't have like have children - he had to bury his participation.

In episode 5 when Louis and Armand argue and Armand - mimicking Louis - says, 'Everyone wronged me." That's how Louis operates. It's easier for him to not own his participation in his pain.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Starchild said:

Well there was that brief bit at the start, where they forced Claudia's body into the rat cage. Was that just a brief bit of torture? Or is Louis remembering, just for a moment, how she actually died?

Rats wouldn't be able to kill her. If anything, she'd get some healing from the rats if she started eating them. The coven is just doing to her the same thing that happened to Lestat when they dumped him.

21 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

Rats wouldn't be able to kill her. If anything, she'd get some healing from the rats if she started eating them. The coven is just doing to her the same thing that happened to Lestat when they dumped him.

They did it to torture her while they prep for the trial. In episode 4 Gustave does a whole wall of exposition / Chekhov's gun moment about the rat contraption and knowing when they reach the body's heart. They have been feeding on people and vicious. She would not have been able to fight them off to feed on them. She was being eaten alive. I knew the story about the rat contraption would have to pay off, but I was hoping Claudia would use it on one of the vamps.

Now for Louis' fire gift to pay off.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, babyrambo said:

So did Lestat’s return. 

I did like his final scene with Claudia though. I’ll miss her. Bailey Bass’ version brought a gleeful, vicious sweetness to the more childish version of her that I really enjoyed, but Delainey Hayles’ performance elevated the sometimes iffy material and sold the idea of an adult trapped in a childish prison. I’ll miss her character. 

You can definitely see Lestat swaying on stage as Louis Madeline and Claudia have their sentences read out. That coupled with the way his clothes don't quite fit him and the way he frequently loses his train of thought it's almost like he's being......puppeted. I read the book spoilers from The Vampire Lestat (I think?) about what was happening to him from Lestat's point of view so I think its safe to say that Lestat wasn't all there and that Sam Reid's choices were deliberate. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Cirien said:

That coupled with the way his clothes don't quite fit him and the way he frequently loses his train of thought it's almost like he's being......puppeted.

Looking back at his performance, I could totally buy that. He felt a bit off the whole time, wobbling around on stage and being even more theatrical than usual, the times when he felt most like himself was when he went off script, like when he was tearfully apologizing to Louis for hurting him so badly and confessing to having hurt him on purpose. I really did miss Lestat, no matter what is actually going on with him. 

I do not buy at all that Armand, who is a super old super powerful vampire leader, would be so easily cowed by one guy with a weapon. I feel pretty confident that he either planned this all or just let it happen because he didn't want to rock the boat too much with his coven. I am also pretty confident that Armand has been messing with Louis's memories, he's clearly been manipulating him for years, its still wild to me that Louis could forgive all of this and be with him for decades. 

Even if Armand is messing with Louis's memories, Louis is also clearly editing his own memories, his version of Claudia's "birth" is extremely different than the one that Lestat told, and even he seemed to be admitting that Lestat's story was accurate. It certainly adds even more tragedy to Claudia's cursed existence, Louis dragging around her charred corpse and calling her "their beautiful little daughter" before they even met, really was creepy. Claudia really always was a bandaid for Lestat and Louis's messy relationship, and she knew it. 

I still think it was a mistake not to cast a younger or at least younger looking actress (either time) but both Claudia's still did a great job, despite everything she has done her after life has really been cursed from day one. And the minute she finally finds love and some independence, she dies. 

So how did the Theatre de Vampires sell this show to people? Are they just going to kill this whole crowd now that they had front row seats to this vampire stuff? Isn't secrecy one of their all important rules? I also love that they had someone make a whole animated version of the shows backstory, that must have taken quite a bit of work and time. So extra, no matter what.

• Like 6
On 6/23/2024 at 12:18 PM, Broderbits said:

That was riveting and brutal. I don't even like Claudia, but her defiance at the end was amazing. The whole trial had a subtle nod to "A Matter of Life and Death", one of my favorites. Ben Daniels has been delicious all season!

Sam Reid is one of the most beautiful creatures on earth....

He really is. I dreamt about him last night, lol.

I do not buy at all that Armand, who is a super old super powerful vampire leader, would be so easily cowed by one guy with a weapon

The fact that Louis was with Armand when Armand said one word and all the vampires went silent/collapsed in their seats as Louis and Santiago fought, but he bought that Sam with a scythe was a great threat is crazy. But then again Louis has reconfigured his memories into ones that are more palatable for him. I could see him really holding on to the notion that Armand was incapable of helping him because to deal with the reality that Armand let this happen would mean that Louis would have to leave him, but he had just lost Claudia, lost Lestat for the third time - he would rather hold on to this falsehood as rationale to remain with Armand. If he lost Armand after Claudia's death then he would truly be left with nothing.

And the fact that when Daniel meets Louis he was (in Jacob Anderson or Assad Zaman's words a drug addict who got his fix by feeding on druggies) in a rough place the ensuing years after Claudia's death. Louis stayed because he had no path and Armand was there.

I feel pretty confident that he either planned this all or just let it happen because he didn't want to rock the boat too much with his coven

Sam Reid has given an interview about the episode and he says the show trial was planned by Lestat, Armand, Santiago and the rest of the coven. And while Reid says Armand and Santiago were unaware that Lestat changes his mind, I would also say that Armand changed his mind, and that's why he spared Louis. I think he knew he had to sacrifice someone and Armand felt that Clauda's madness and eventual suicide would be fait accompli, so he allowed her to get killed.

I also love that they had someone make a whole animated version of the shows backstory, that must have taken quite a bit of work and time. So extra, no matter what.

It makes me laugh to think that Lestat gave them all the information about his life with Claudia and Louis down to the detail of a raccoon living in their home and they thought so much about that detail that the vamps added it to their projection.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So how did the Theatre de Vampires sell this show to people? Are they just going to kill this whole crowd now that they had front row seats to this vampire stuff?

Santiago insisted to the audience that none of it was real, he even gave a little speech before the Grand Finale that what they were about to see was fake. And I'm sure the entire company was working some kind of mind meld stuff to affect their memories. Why not? It seems like everyone in the show, vampire and mortal, has had their memories tweaked to the point where we're all being told stories by Unreliable Narrators. Not one character wants to face the truth for immortality; that's a long time to live with whatever evil they've done.

I would like to see more of that vampire production of Waiting for Godot!

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Santiago insisted to the audience that none of it was real, he even gave a little speech before the Grand Finale that what they were about to see was fake. And I'm sure the entire company was working some kind of mind meld stuff to affect their memories. 

You took the words out of my mouth. I thought Santiago's speech covered some bases and Armand and others would have altered the audiences memories. 

Totally OT: But did anyone else giggle when Lestat said he planned on draining "The Australians" at Roland Garos? 

EDIT: https://www.tumblr.com/ayo-edebiri/754086053213798400/i-need-to-study-louis-like-a-bug?source=share    ...........oh

Edited by Cirien
  • Mind Blown 1

If I would have been alive during that period I would’ve been all excited about a vampire show but this show is so strange that I can’t imagine regular people wanting to attend. For that matter I wonder why the coven wants to do the show since it was so repetitive. I understand they used it as a cover to kill random people but they could easily have killed random people out in the streets. I felt bad for Claudia and Madeline although Madeline was very sad and beaten down in life too.