Type keyword(s) to search

S6.E12: Consequences

• Start Topic

From the real IMDb page for the episode:
imdb.com/title/tt31130015

When a truck driver is murdered and the drug he was transporting goes missing, the team hunts for those behind the remaining batch.

This👆 is not the AI-generated generic text appearing in Google purporting to be the IMDb page for the episode!
Sheesh!

Good episode, I am a big fan of Jubal so I liked seeing him take center stage, the show usually delivers solid cases when he’s front and center. This was a good case.  
Joe was an idiot though, him charging in nearly got his son killed and then he had some nerve blaming Jubal for the whole fiasco when it was his dumbass son who got into the mess and then it was him being reckless who caused the situation to explode. Joe must not have known Jubal at all if he thought Jubal would destroy evidence for him, and Jubal went out of his way to try to help the son out. The son was a terrible informant, he couldn’t fake it at all, but that wasn’t Jubal’s fault - Joe really pissed me off, Jubal was just a nice scapegoat for him to blame the situation on.     
Didn’t even really feel like Maggie was absent, I guess due to the larger role for Jubal, the team works well together regardless of who’s paired with who, I liked seeing OA and Tiffany work together some - all of the characters gel well together. 
Good case and pretty good season overall - I guess in the finale next week they’ll wrap up the story about the terrorist who killed Hobbs. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

I was just coming here to write almost the same thing.  I thought the actor who played Jubal was really good in tonight's episode.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, susannot said:

I was just coming here to write almost the same thing.  I thought the actor who played Jubal was really good in tonight's episode.

I’ve always liked Jeremy Sisto, he was awesome on original L&O as Detective Lupo and he’s great as Jubal also IMO. Jubal centric episodes are some of my favorites as he always delivers compelling stuff, although I like the entire FBI team.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, susannot said:

I started watching this show for Jeremy Sisto (Jubal) who also played Detective Lupo on Law & Order. His role hasn't really been much, and when it has, I did not care for the plots (this episode included). 
But at the end of this episode, when Jubal's friend blamed him for the friend's and the friend's son's stupidity, the silent expressions on Jubal's face seemed to say that he knew it was not his fault, but he had screwed up too many times himself to say anything.
Still, I did want Jubal to try talking to his friend about the importance of stopping what Isobel described as enough fentanyl to kill everyone in NY.

• Like 2
(edited)

I’m a fan of Jeremy Sisto and have been since L&O.  On FBI, I enjoy his little corny asides in the JOC when he makes dry-wit comments — his character has my kind of humor.  He leads the team well IMO.  Jeremy’s come a long way since “Clueless”.  

That idiot dad — I literally said that out loud.  He forgot everything he ever knew from his law enforcement days, it appears.  I get it that his dad-emotions took over, but the request to Jubal to lose the evidence, then guilt-tripping OA to let him stay on the scene, then bursting into the highly volatile situation, and ending up with the way he treated Jubal in the final scenes — he made so many bad choices.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 11

I actually liked this episode more than previous ones.  Tighter scripting, and not many WTF moments.

If Daddy Dumbest thought that his son would have been in the clear just by Jubal destroying the pills, I think his entire casework from the past should be re-examined.  More deaths would have occurred, and if the trail had led anywhere near Sonny, DD would have gone down with him.  As well as Jubal, really.

The FBI needs some work on their scene security.  DD shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near that door.  I was impressed, though, on the initial break in, that SWAT were actually the first through the door instead of barely protected FBI agents.

Jubal's look when DD says "I don't want you at my daughter's wedding" - disappointment hiding pure relief at having to skip a wedding...

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Just once would I love to see a character like Joe take responsibility. Or, I would love to see the exploration of the emotions involved. 

I don't believe that Joe truly blames Jubal. I think he's blaming Jubal because it's easier than blaming himself. After all, it's not just that his son gave the pills to the girls and bears responsibility for these deaths. Nate also made the choice to get involved. He made the choice to give pills to girls because he wanted them to like him. He made the choice that he'd sell pills until he got a job. 
I'm sure there are plenty of young people out there who are in the same situation as Nate, so, Nate's upbringing is at least partly responsible for the choices Nate made. 

I have a hard time believing that someone like Joe wouldn't see it. But, as I said above, it's easier to blame Jubal. Still, I think it would be great to see the journey of Joe realizing it. Unfortunately, that rarely happens in procedurals. 

On the other hand, it's also in Joe's character. He said that he turned a blind eye to Jubal's drinking problem. That makes him an enabler. And here, he was an enabler again and tried to make Jubal one, too. 

As far as the overall episode is concerned, I liked it. I'm often not a fan of character-centered episodes on FBI as they often involve characters making reckless decisions, disobeying orders and then ending up the hero and all's forgiven. But this one was a great episode. It was well-paced and I really liked the way it was written. As in, the twists and the key moments for Jubal (eg, when he was asked to hide the pills or when they were searching for a green SVU). Those were some great moments for the character. 

The team dynamic was great, too. 

• Like 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

it's also in Joe's character. He said that he turned a blind eye to Jubal's drinking problem. That makes him an enabler.…

Right! I had failed to see Jubal’s friend Joe as an enabler. 

…And here, he was an enabler again and tried to make Jubal one, too.

But here, not so much an enabler of substance abuse. More like “enabling” disrespect for and abuse of women, although I'm not sure the writers or their characters gave that a thought:

the choice to give pills to girls because he wanted them to like him

—with “like him” ultimately meaning sex, right? And liking him enough to have sex with him while cognitively impaired by the drugs he gave them is rape. So Jubal's (now ex-) friend Joe was enabling rape as well as not preventing distribution of enough fentanyl “to kill everyone in NY” (as per Isobel).

This can’t be the end of this story.

Edited by shapeshifter
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’ve always liked Jeremy Sisto, he was awesome on original L&O as Detective Lupo and he’s great as Jubal also IMO. Jubal centric episodes are some of my favorites as he always delivers compelling stuff, although I like the entire FBI team.

He was also great in Six Feet Under.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I am a big fan of Jubal so I liked seeing him take center stage

He is the most useless person in the cast. They should fire him, let the tech people do their jobs without having to have their hands held, and redirect his salary towards hiring more agents or paying the writers for better scripts.

Every so often they do one of these "Let's pretend that Jubal is relevant" episodes and inevitably he fouls up, but gets credit for being a tortured soul rather than fired for being incompetent.

10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

That idiot dad — I literally said that out loud.  He forgot everything he ever knew from his law enforcement days, it appears.

Yes. He

1. Raised a son who thinks fentanyl is a good way to supplement his pocket money. And finagle some pussy.
  2. Concludes that four dead teenage girls (and potentially thousands more, if the drug gets out) is no biggie, because his son is really a good boy (refer to #1 above).
  3. Expects Jubal to just flush the evidence. Not evidence against his son so much as evidence as to where and how the dangerous drugs can be recovered.
  4. Runs stupidly into a hot zone while guns are being fired, shouting "Take me instead!" or something equally ridiculous, and is the prime/only reason his son stops a bullet.
  5. Tells Jubal that he (Jubal) is the cause of all the trouble and tells him not to attend a wedding.
  6. Doesn't give thanks that Jubal didn't arrest his ass on the spot for attempting to tamper with vital evidence.

So, not very smart. But as an FBI guy, probably good enough to investigate parent/school board terrorists. So come to think of it: upper echelon FBI smarts.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Not a fan of Jubal-centric episode. Am just glad this isn’t about Tyler.

Joe Becerra is the kind of dad who thinks his son is perfect and can do no wrong. He was an FBI negotiator but he has no problem disrupting the hostage situation and puts his son in danger. He should know better to let the professionals do their jobs.

Where are SWAT and the other agents when Jubal is scuffling with Gio on the floor? Why aren’t they helping him?

I wish Jubal could just be blunt with Joe and tells him that he’s the reason Nate got shot in the first place. 😏

• Like 2

I was a bit disappointed Jubal wasn't shot.   He's a very one-dimensional character.   If the writers couldn't hang every Jubal-centric script on his drinking, they'd have nothing.   I'd like to see more of Isobel's story.

Enough of the trope of victims fleeing through the woods at night.   I have some trees in my backyard.  I know I couldn't make it more than ten steps in the dark without running into one head-first and knocking myself out cold.   Let alone finding a secret cave to hide in.

Benito Martinez has been around for something like 30 years, but I have never been able to watch him without seeing that blackmail scene from The Shield.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2024 at 10:25 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Joe was an idiot though, him charging in nearly got his son killed and then he had some nerve blaming Jubal for the whole fiasco when it was his dumbass son who got into the mess and then it was him being reckless who caused the situation to explode. Joe must not have known Jubal at all if he thought Jubal would destroy evidence for him …

Jubal does seem saddled with more than his fair share of idiots. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 5/15/2024 at 8:16 AM, SoCal Mema said:

He was also great in Six Feet Under.

Yes, loved him as Billy! Though he was a mess and hurt many characters in his wake, especially Brenda. I feel his acting talent was/is wasted on L&O and FBI.

Do things ever go well on FBI when they have a civilian go undercover? This kid didn't seem like a good candidate to do so in the first place. Also, when they guy was saying he was nervous, I was thinking he had a good out because he was there with a cup of coffee--"Too much coffee today!" Also, couldn't they have covered in the bar with him saying "Jubal" by Jubal saying, "Yeah, Jubal's my last name" or "my nickname--long story" or something?

Note that I'd likely do terribly undercover, so not judging anyone.

5 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

"Yeah, Jubal's my last name" or "my nickname--long story" or something?

He could lead with "My middle name is Lee, so I got called Jubal."  And that would actually fit right in with his humor.

• Like 1