Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Fists and Feet and Stuff

Really strong finale. If the show does not get renewed, it went out on a good note. I absolutely love Paul dumping Lindsay. I was glad that he stood up for himself and had found someone who actually cared about him. Edgar and Jimmy reuniting was very sweet. Lindsay has a nice voice. She and Edgar will be good together, after they get their acts together though. I am glad that Jimmy and Gretchen got back together. Living together would be too soon for other couples, but I think if they don't take the leap when circumstances (the fire) push them in that direction, they never will.

• Love 2

Best barbecue, ever!

Gretchen's lemon sucking face followed immediately by her slapping the key out of Jimmy's hand=priceless.

In an episode with a lot of great moments, Edgar sniffing Lindsay's hair may have been my favorite moment.

I love this show so much, and if the PTB at FX don't renew, they're insane.

• Love 3

Edgar sniffing Lindsay's hair was hilariously creepy. I used to work with a guy who would jokingly sniff my hair like a dog to be faux creepy.

I knew that Becca was going to announce she was pregnant as soon as I saw the surprise bbq invitation.

Huge two part nitpick - Becca and Vernon's last name is Barbara, so why would they be on the guest list as "not replied"? Secondly, there is no apostrophe when the S signifies a plural. It's the Barbaras, not the Barbara's. Same goes for the Cranes, who were also on the guest list as the Crane's. Seriously, does no one have a grasp of basic grammar anymore?

• Love 2

I'm going to attribute the grammatical error to Becca.  They're so common and I absolutely believe that she'd get it wrong.

I thought this (season please) finale was exquisite.  It was probably the funniest episode to date for me but it also landed all of the emotional moments nicely including Jimmy & Edgar's reunion, Gretchen and Jimmy's reunion...hell, I even got a little verklempt over the cat reuniting with the bookstore owner.

There were so many laugh out loud moments.  "Cockaholism" is a word I want to use in real life.  I loved that Edgar and his new "British" friend had prepared for Jimmy's interrogation but only got tripped up when asked about where they lived.  Gretchen's sour face when Jimmy was trying to explain what made Becca give such a good blow job was beautifully acted and edited.  And there's so much more.

I was satisfied with this as a series finale for most of the episode until the very end when the fire drove her to accept his request to move in and that asking her to move in was a spontaneous decision.  They're probably not ready but I think it'll be fun to watch them in the next step. 

• Love 4

This was a hell of a way to wrap up a great season. (side note: Becca is indeed the worst for saying "hashtag blessed", but there's a webseries called "Just Between Us", where one character said that and made a hash symbol with her fingers and that was amazing and awesome.)

So much good stuff in here. Vernon's probably the most cartoonish character among the cast, but there's some elements of self-awareness creeping in here and there that suggest that he's a real person somewhere under there.

The Gretchen-Jimmy plot was really fantastic. Aya Cash was so moving up on that balcony accepting the non-proposal, and the way Jimmy won her back would have been enough on its own, but to reveal that it really was an improvised Hail Mary made it inspired.

Kether Donohue sold the hell out of that Kate Bush song -- though as Falk says, it's not strictly earned on Lindsay's part, she was cheating on Paul -- but I still didn't like Edgar suddenly becoming infatuated with her then and there. Also, go Paul! I mean, not so good that he was emotionally cheating on Lindsay, but good that he made a decisive move to get out of a marriage that wasn't working.

• Love 3

Ha, Vernon's trash juice was mesmerizing and gross. OF COURSE he has a man cave (and he refers to it as a man cave). I don't understand how Becca didn't know Jimmy and Gretchen were both invited to the party. Duh, just look at the guest list for the evite! She seems like the kind of person who scrutinizes the guest list on an hourly basis so I can't believe she didn't know.

On another Becca related note, I am fine with the host delegating but why would she have Lindsey bring lemons to the party? Get them yourself while you're at the store buying all the fruit and garbage bags for the trash juice!

Loved watching Lindsey build the one of everything burger complete with a handful of potato chips. Nothing wrong with that! I also loved that when she was chasing Gretchen through the house, she refused to put down her drink while she was running.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I have completely fallen in love with this show. So, if it does get cancelled you can blame me. That was one of the best season finales I've ever seen. 

The BBQ blowout scene was so awesome I watched it multiple times. I loved Jimmy's exasperated look when he tried to explain to Vernon the sequence of events between him and Becca. I loved Edgar casually stepping in an putting Vernon in a choke-hold. 

I really hope this gets renewed.

This was probably my biggest surprise of the Summer. I almost forgot about it in the glut of Summer sitcoms, and I just decided to catch an episode because I was bored one night. I am so glad I did because I am unbelievably in love with this show! I loved the return of the actor that Edgar hired to be his fake British roommate, I loved Jimmy asking him about the Scotland situation, I loved that they reunited the kitty with the bookshop owner, I loved Gretchen trying to figure out how Becca was great at blowjobs, I loved the reunions of both Edgar/Jimmy and Gretchen Jimmy, I loved Paul admitting he and Lindsey aren't working (even though I really hope we continue to see Paul around), I loved the barbeque, I just love it. 

The craziest part is, I am so totally on board with Jimmy and Gretchen as a couple. Like, this kind of show lives and dies by the main couple, and I just love them together. I literally awwwwwwed out loud a few times this episode! That hardly ever happens!

Please, please renew! I want to see the inevitable shenanigans of Jimmy/Gretchen/Edgar as roomies!

Huh. Seems like whenever I go to an episode summary here and the sidebar says if viewers generally liked/disliked an ep, I'm always opposite of the trend. So there's that.

But I found this episode to be mostly sad. (1) Lindsey's breakup plot. She needs psychological help. (2) Becca and her husband. They're both pathetic caricatures and kind of despicable. I feel sorry for their baby-to-be. (3) Their awful party with guests who don't even like or know them and loud, public arguments that made me cringe watching them.

I enjoyed the Gretchen/Jimmy storyline and Edgar is appealing, but maybe I'm taking this show too literally or something. There was very little saving grace for me.

• Love 1
I enjoyed the Gretchen/Jimmy storyline and Edgar is appealing, but maybe I'm taking this show too literally or something. There was very little saving grace for me.

I don't think you're taking it too literally but maybe you are expecting something different.  I think the episode was funny.  It was touching and yeah, there was a lot of sadness too.  Sometimes it was all three in one story which is why I like this show.

• Love 5

Someone on the AV Club pointed out that the show really rewards a rewatch. For example, Jimmy's first lines in the pilot included “Sometimes you just want to witness the beginning of the disaster so when the house is engulfed in flames you can say ‘I was there when they installed the faulty wiring.’ ‘’ - amusing in its own right, but now clearly a little foreshadowing for the season finale.

• Love 2

I laughed so hard when she slapped the key out of his hand.

As much as I liked the show, I'm not sure I want another season. But that's because of how perfectly contained I feel the season was. The finale wrapped up everything as well as I could have hoped. Every character had some kind of growth or at least movement forward in their lives and it all felt earned.

Couple of other things I noticed that paid off in the finale:

• Edgar put Jimmy in a headlock in the pilot. Must be a go-to move for him.
  • There was a whole big drama about just having a key, not moving in, in ep 4 or so.  Note esp the exchange near the end: Gretchen: "Wait, so you wanted me to have a key?" Jimmy: "No, I just wanted you to stop being mad at me." (paraphrased from memory, I might fix up the quote later when I get home.)
  • They didn't really linger enough on it in the finale, but Gretchen really cleaned up her place after ep 9. It went from disaster area to mostly cleaned up, though all those missed delivery slips from FedEx were still there on her front door.
  • Lindsay's discomfort with Paul is apparent from her first onscreen interaction with him, as are his vulnerabilities and hurt feelings.
  • Love 1

They didn't really linger enough on it in the finale, but Gretchen really cleaned up her place after ep 9. It went from disaster area to mostly cleaned up, though all those missed delivery slips from FedEx were still there on her front door.

I was glad that Gretchen took the cat back to its home in the bookstore. It was terrible of her to take the cat from a loving clean home to her filthy apartment.

As arc says, Gretchen's apartment was really clean when she made her pre-run green smoothie in the purloined food processor. She obviously tried to get her shit together after the breakup.

• Love 1