Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Big Take

• Start Topic

When a conman (Berto Colon) from Dante's past attacks a prison transport, McCall and the team race to take him down. Meanwhile, Aunt Vi and Dee's girls' trip is suddenly derailed when they find a woman squatting in their home, and Harry risks his relationship with Mel when Fisk pulls him deeper into his secret mission, on the CBS Original series THE EQUALIZER, Sunday, May 12 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Huh. I really thought they were going to string out the Robyn-Marcus thing forever, but apparently they decided to go there.

I hate that Vi thinks it was wrong for Dee to protest and the whole family thinks it was a mistake. What a terrible message to send.

• Like 3

Well, I will take that kiss and cherish it; because I still don't trust these writers not to completely undo things next episode. But I'm glad we got some progress between Robyn and Dante.

Fashion highlights: Dee's perforated skirt; and Mel's snakeskin(?) pattern jacket.

Sorry, the actress for 'break-in girl' did not look teenaged at all. But anyway, that whole subplot was kinda random. But at least they got to shoot at a new location?

I'm glad Harry finally came clean to Mel; however, I still don't know why this storyline exists at all.

I "like" how they tried to make this Randall guy seem like a grand nemesis for Dante, but we've only seen him once.

Considering how fairly procedural this show is, I thought the heist sequence was a pretty creative twist for the show.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Dante is on a make-out with Robyn when he should be on a stake-out with the Chief. Dante, yo' ass is fired.

Dante's gun was used to shoot a man in the head and shot Dante twice, how is Dante going to explain that one.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, Brown44 said:

Damn man, can Dee and Aunt Vi do anything to have fun without getting it F'd up?

This show has the worst B-plots in the history of television, lol.

• Like 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Brown44 said:

Damn man, can Dee and Aunt Vi do anything to have fun without getting it F'd up?

That was my thought as well though I'd read the description before so I knew it was coming.  I do wish every episode involving Aunt Vi and Dee didn't need to be a storytime or lessens we learned today thing.

And yes, does the fact that Marcus helped take down Colon erase the fact that he went against his Captain?

I figured Harry would come clean to Mel and that Mel would not be happy about it.  And yes, while I don't mind the CIA stuff as much as others, I do think they need to concentrate more on COTW helping out ordinary people than focusing so much on the cloak and dagger.  Also, I can't be the only one who's waiting for Harry to lose control of M.E.L. because you know it's coming.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Like 6

I'll be honest, I'm kind of relieved that the season is over. It felt choppy and off. I'mma be kind and chalk some that up to the strikes.

I need Dee and Vi to get another arc besides finding a new lost cause to save every week. And I really don't want to get into the idea that Monique throwing out her pills was a good thing. Withdrawal is a real thing. 

I don't even want to discuss the idea that a professional killer would've shot Dante in his chest two times thereby hitting the vest instead of just aiming for his temple.

Mel's reaction to Harry's confession made no sense to me. "Why didn't you tell me what you're about to do?" He just did and everything we know about Harry tells us what it would take for him to keep a secret from Mel. 

I feel like this is the cloudiest show I've ever seen. In every outdoor scene the sky is just flat white. When have we seen an ep with blue sky or sunshine? 

Like I said, I'm kind of relieved that the season is over.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I'll be honest, I'm kind of relieved that the season is over.

1 hour ago, marceline said:

Like I said, I'm kind of relieved that the season is over.

Does this mean you have no intention of watching episode 10, the Season Finale next week?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I was totally expecting the Dee and Vi story to interrupt their bonding talk with them watching a special news bulletin saying beach girl went full on Gypsy Rose on her mom.

And I'm sorry, but who needs to call their doctor father to learn that ipecac induces vomiting.  Vi should have known that one even if Dee didn't.

Edited by Pietr
  • Like 5

I'm glad they show the "previously" scenes at the beginning of the episode, because without that, I wouldn't have remembered Grayle because my brain can't retain enough information to care about every villain on the show who gets away (though most of them don't at least).

I was rather cranky during the episode, especially about the secret CIA mission.  Fisk (to Harry):  "The future of the U.S. is at stake!"  Me:  "Of course it is."  It's a good thing Harry didn't repeat that part to Mel when he was trying to explain himself, because she might been like, "Oh, f***ing whatever!"

During the last scene, I think I might have said, "Are you going to kiss or not?" at least four times, because I didn't think it would happen.  (I might have already said it originally after she found out he was still alive at the car.)  Well, they showed me!  Too bad it wasn't at the end of a season finale, because then they'd have to wait until the fall to screw it up.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, Pietr said:

but who needs to call their doctor father to learn that ipecac induces vomiting.

I didn't know that but instead of caller her father Google would have help her out.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I saw hydroxychloroquine was one of the other drugs she was taking. Did anybody see what the label said on the 3rd one? I don't think there's a withdrawal issue with ipecac or hydroxychloroquine, but the other stuff is a mystery because I didn't see the label.

• Like 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Does this mean you have no intention of watching episode 10, the Season Finale next week?

I honestly thought this was the finale. Which is probably a good indication of how disconnected I am from this show. 😀

Edited by marceline
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, Pietr said:

And I'm sorry, but who needs to call their doctor father to learn that ipecac induces vomiting.  Vi should have known that one even if Dee didn't.

Obviously they've never seen/read Anne of Green Gables.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I saw hydroxychloroquine was one of the other drugs she was taking. Did anybody see what the label said on the 3rd one? I don't think there's a withdrawal issue with ipecac or hydroxychloroquine, but the other stuff is a mystery because I didn't see the label.

It was lorazepam.

• Useful 2

I will admit that I zoned out a little during this episode, so I am not sure if I followed exactly what was happening.  I think it went something like this:

Prisoners are being transported.  Grayle's team kills the cop and takes some guy with them who was an expert in something (?) they needed.  His team wants to pull off a heist of some necklace owner by rich guy with fancy security system.  Robyn and Dante find the freed con in a storage unit, dead.  They connect the con to Grayle.

With Harry's help, they identify one of the women on Grayle's team and Dante gets from her information that rich guy is having a party and Grayle is planning a heist that evening at 9 pm.  Hard ass captain finds out Dante is disobeying her and puts him on stakeout duty on her case.  Dante doesn't care and is going to go to the heist anyways.  Robyn doesn't want him to lose his job so she goes in advance of the party and steals the necklace.  She gives it to Dante.  Presumably, Dante goes on the stakeout.

The next day, Dante meets with Grayle and agrees to give him the necklace in exchange for.... what?  Robyn and Mel were going to nab Grayle but Grayle's drone guy has eyes on them and he's also captured the widow and Grayle's two women are tasked with killing her if Dante tries anything.  Harry disables the drone, Mel saves widow.  Grayle kills drone guy in anger, shoots Dante in his vest, then Robyn takes him out with her motorcycle.

So in the end my questions are, 1) what kind of deal was Dante making with Grayle?  I thought he wanted Grayle arrested for killing his friend, 2) how did Grayle know it was going to be Dante showing up so he could kidnap widow in advance?  3) why was the captain so opposed to him bringing down Grayle?

On 5/13/2024 at 11:18 AM, milkyaqua said:

That was my thought as well though I'd read the description before so I knew it was coming.  I do wish every episode involving Aunt Vi and Dee didn't need to be a storytime or lessens we learned today thing.

Why couldn't they have just gone to the beach and had fun?  I agree that I don't need everything involved with Vi and Dee to be some kind of social justice lesson.  I would have called the cops immediately, I wouldn't have made it to the part where I found out the girl was being kept drugged by her mom who didn't want to let her go because the daughter is "all she has".  So the lesson here was to have a heart and listen to someone even though they could have been dangerous, don't judge a book by its cover blah blah blah.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:50 PM, marceline said:

Mel's reaction to Harry's confession made no sense to me. "Why didn't you tell me what you're about to do?" He just did and everything we know about Harry tells us what it would take for him to keep a secret from Mel. 

Right?  He had been hiding it from her but he came clean and told her because he decided he couldn't hide it.  And she's all "I can't believe you lied to me".  If he was lying to her he would have gone on the trip without telling her.  Not even sure how that would have worked, she wouldn't have noticed he was gone?  Harry should have told Fisk that he can't just disappear without telling his wife where he was going.

• Like 6

3) why was the captain so opposed to him bringing down Grayle?

I think I can answer this one: I think it was more about him defying her orders and going off-book, than being opposed to taking down a criminal.

• Like 2
(edited)

I have another question. What was with Mel talking about getting locked out of her Tesla? She mentioned it twice. I remember thinking how Harry's supposed to be the super tech genius but his wife is driving a Tesla? I can't imagine how that product placement deal came about.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, marceline said:

What was with Mel talking about getting locked out of her Tesla?

Tesla is a totally electronic car. M.E.L. is a computer program that might be able to access electronic devices like cars, so they are hinting that M.E.L. is trolling or wishing to harm (if things escalate) Mel at some point in the future. I am sure they are setting up some type of confrontation a later date.

The same thing with Harry not being able to stop M.E.L. from using Mel's voice.

• Like 3

I need some info about next season in order to decide whether to delete this show from my TIVO

1) are the National security plots going to be more than one or two of the episodes?  Because Bishop had promised Robyn she only had to deal with the CIA occasionally.  And I’m bored with it all

2) Is Dante going to continue to defy his captions orders annd act all pouty and angry because she  wants him to do his job? I’m bored with him and his unethical work ethic. And all his storylines 

3). Are Vi and Dee going to continue to be the lesson of the week? 

4) are we ever going to get a everyday man case of the week? 

• Like 2