Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E17: Disney Night

• Start Topic

Watch American Idol’s Katy Perry, Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan SING a Disney Song! (Exclusive)
Entertainment Tonight   May 12, 2024

• Like 2

Wow!! Woulda bet money on Tristan awkwardly thrusting his hips to the finale. The 3 best vocalists from the top 5 made it. 

That look on Tristan’s face and his absolute lack of growth over the season is why we need at least one honest judge who will be constructive. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Genuinely thought Tristan would be in the final three. Abi and Will I expected, and I'm particularly glad about Abi, 'cause I like her (her "Part of Your World" performance tonight was lovely), but yeah, I thought Tristan might join them. 

I do like Jack, though, and I thought he did well tonight, especially on his first song, so good for him making it to the top three. 

• Like 2

I’m curious as to what genre Abi lands in. That’s not a knock; she’s just shown a lot of variety this season, more than anyone else. But that can also be a kiss of death for a career if she doesn’t have somewhere she fits. 

Her Evanescence song a couple weeks back is one of my favorite 2-3 performances of the season.  

• Like 4
(edited)

Tristan was very impressive in the first several weeks when it was just him, his guitar, and minimal instrumentation--you could hear his rich full voice.  I figured he was the one to beat.  But the last couple of weeks, it seems as though his voice was lost in the loud instrumentation and poor song choices.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I am honestly shocked about both Tristan and Emmy. I thought one of them was the winner. I think this means Will wins. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JayDub1987 said:

Wow!! Woulda bet money on Tristan awkwardly thrusting his hips to the finale. The 3 best vocalists from the top 5 made it. 

That look on Tristan’s face and his absolute lack of growth over the season is why we need at least one honest judge who will be constructive. 

This was the best top 3.  I think when Jack was announced Tristan said what or wow.  I’m not sure if he saw himself not making the top 3.  Hopefully , the judges can talk to him backstage.  He is very young 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Her Evanescence song a couple weeks back is one of my favorite 2-3 performances of the season.  

I agree about Abi.  I thought that was comparable to Carrie Underwood's performance of "Alone" in her season, which showed her range at the time, and made me think she could really win.

I also agree with Lionel's comments about how polished her recent performances have been (starting with the Evanescence song).  She is really putting on a show, and looks really confident.

I agree with America's choices.  I thought these three were the best of the top 10 or so.  I'm partial to Jack and Abi, but I'd say Will probably has the best shot at future success, since he fits into the Chris Stapleton box, which is marketable these days.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, paul4295 said:

I agree with America's choices.  I thought these three were the best of the top 10 or so.  I'm partial to Jack and Abi, but I'd say Will probably has the best shot at future success, since he fits into the Chris Stapleton box, which is marketable these days

It is. I’ve personally bought tickets to 7 of those marketable events in the last 3 years lol. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Maya said:

I think this means Will wins. 

Yea, unfortunately lol. 

Tristan's stunned 'what' when Jack was announced was hilarious. I watched it a couple times.

I wish I knew who between Jack and Abi had the better shot at beating Will because I'd vote for that person. I don't think there's realistically much hope for either of them though.

• Like 6

Did anyone notice that when Ryan was talking about Frozen and introducing Idina Menzel, Will was sitting next to his mother who had her legs crossed.  Will had his hand on her leg, obviously telling her to uncross her legs.  She looked at her legs and then complied.  It was all on camera.  For some reason, he didn't want her to have her legs crossed.  Maybe she gets blood clots or something.  It was weird.  

• Useful 1

Only results I felt comfortable calling ahead of time was Will in the F3 (especially after Born to be Wild) & Emmy not being in the F3.

For a split second, while Jack was doing Bowie, thoughts crossed my mind that he could knock out Abi & make it an all 3 dude F3. Thankfully that didn't happen, because Abi's body of work over the course of the entire season was worthy of reaching the finale. Of the three, I do think actually winning the whole thing might be the most hazardous for Abi because there's so many different directions an "Abi Record" could go. Being locked in totally to the AI record deal would mean that she would start from a place of very little leverage..

Triston went out on possibly his worst sounding vocal of the entire show. It was pitched where he ended up sounding incredibly nasally on Life is a Highway which hadn't really happened all season. Still, I figure, give it a couple of years (**definitely thinking a developmental deal") and we've probably not heard the last of TH (especially if you are a country music fan).

Will just feels like the winner. He's pretty much felt that way from his audition. IMO he feels like someone where they're would be room for them in country music. He's not really reinventing the wheel or anything, he just has an appealing backstory/personality with enough chops to potentially get played on current country radio quite a bit.

Glad Emmy went out on two reasonably strong performances (more so the 2nd rather than the 1st). I still see her as maybe a behind the scenes player in Nashville who writes hits for bigger artists and has a modest fan base of her own fans. Some of it ultimately depends on how "country" does she want to be? Not just vocally, but instrumentally too. There are artists like Ingrid Andress, & Morgan Wade who don't vocally sound super country but the instrumentation and thematic elements in their songs get them played on country radio (to a degree)..

• Like 3

Jack seems like a cross between Phil Phillips and Kris Allen (not that he's as good as them, just that his style reminds me of a combo of them).  I agree that Will is probably the most marketable and might have the best post-Idol career, and I wouldn't be surprised if he won, but Jack is the type of guy who seems to win this show quite a bit.  

With that said, I like Abi and I'm rooting for her.  She and Jack are probably the two most versatile contestants this year, but I think Abi is a little too "actress"-ish for some voters (see: McPhee, Katherine).

As for Triston and Emmy, they should be fine going forward - not stars but local celebrities.  Triston will probably cringe watching this show back in five years, once he stops trying to awkwardly dance.  Emmy has Nashville connections already so she can be a country songwriter tomorrow.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Did anyone notice that when Ryan was talking about Frozen and introducing Idina Menzel, Will was sitting next to his mother who had her legs crossed.  Will had his hand on her leg, obviously telling her to uncross her legs.  She looked at her legs and then complied.  It was all on camera.  For some reason, he didn't want her to have her legs crossed.  Maybe she gets blood clots or something.  It was weird.  

I noticed that and wondered if her leg was sticking out too much thus possibly causing an obstruction where Idina Menzel was supposed to pass by. But yes, I'm curious as to the real reason.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I noticed that and wondered if her leg was sticking out too much thus possibly causing an obstruction where Idina Menzel was supposed to pass by.

I went back and watched it again and I think you're right.  Idina passed right in front of his mom.

• Like 1

My friend was watching the live version of this episode (West Coast) and said that the episode cut off before the end (before the third finalist was announced) so that the station could go to their "special local news broadcast."  She had to tune in again before the end of the repeat to find out what happened.  This is about as bad as a clip I once saw on The Soup, where Ryan was announcing the winner of season  7 (David Cook and Archuleta).  He said, "David..." and DVRs cut off before he said "Cook."  That might have been avoided if the DVR allowed extra time added, but pretty poor form by the local station in this case.  (I think she didn't want to just look online if possible.)