Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Training Day

• Start Topic

(edited)

TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT

It's Officer Aaron Thorsen's first day back since the assault, and he's tasked with a series of high-stress cases to determine whether he's ready to work. Elsewhere, the team investigates a homicide case with a potential tie to the pentagram killer.

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
(edited)

This is the first time I’ve seen effective post-trauma therapy demonstrated on TV.

But then did they ruin it be implying Aaron and the therapist are going to fall in love?

Due to poor TV reception, I missed crucial bits of the B, C, and D plots, so I may rewatch later.

The main perp and the wife sounded ripped from the headlines of the Long Island Gilgo Beach killer.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

Nolan and Lucy started out in the same rookie class. But it seemed at one point that he was giving her an order and treating her like he does Celina. Maybe it's because he's much older. But then you remember that he and Lucy slept together the first season. 

Aaron's therapist, Dr. Blair London, seems too young to be assigned as a therapist to treat police officers. Maybe rookie therapists are assigned to rookie cops? She's played by Danielle Campbell, who's 29 (formerly on The CW's The Originals). Quick Google search: police therapists must have at least a master's degree. However, to provide licensed services, they must have a doctorate. Regardless, I have this feeling that she'll turn out to be a bad guy or related to a bad guy.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Nolan and Lucy started out in the same rookie class. But it seemed at one point that he was giving her an order and treating her like he does Celina. Maybe it's because he's much older. But then you remember that he and Lucy slept together the first season

A

Seems to me they have forgotten all of this and retconned.  Nolan is now a training officer, so he can order anyone around?  And they got rid of that uncomfortable romance plot early on and moved the characters to other partners.  I think they want to pretend it all didn't happen.   Admittedly, I got bored with this episode and turned it off.

Speaking of actors in other roles, I saw the Tim actor over the weekend in an old Hallmark movie from 2005.  Before they went all romance, one of those old Sunday night specials (the ones where all the commercials were tearjerkers for Hallmark cards).  The Magic of Ordinary Days, with Keri Russell, Skeet Ullrich and Mare Winningham.  Tim plays a Nazi POW in the American west!  This is an old favorite of mine.  It's WWII, and Keri is pregnant and abandoned by her flyboy lover.  Her strict preacher dad marries her off to a farmer (Skeet) in Colorado.  Skeet is exempt from the draft because he's a farmer and his brother died at Pearl Harbor.  Anyway, it's a good story.  It's a romance, but not like the ones they do now.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Useful 1
(edited)
56 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Seems to me they have forgotten all of this and retconned.  Nolan is now a training officer, so he can order anyone around?  And they got rid of that uncomfortable romance plot early on and moved the characters to other partners.  I think they want to pretend it all didn't happen.   Admittedly, I got bored with this episode and turned it off.

They have been dropping much of the LAPD distinctive stuff since the first season. While Officer Nolan outranks Officer Chin due to his "golden ticket" it is much like a Private to PFC difference in rank in the Army.

I see they are still wearing the jackets with the short sleeves rather then putting the non rookies in a long sleeve shirt and tie that the weather calls for. This time around as Metro Sergeant Bradford wears a long sleeve shirt instead of being the only cast member not in the jacket.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

Nolan is truly an incompetent TO. Open your eyes, Sgt. Grey!

Does Tim’s TRAIN approach take Aaron’s PTSD into consideration while assessing his every reaction to each test?

It would have been hilarious if they get Stacey (murder-for-hire wife) to bump into Smitty at the elevator after she “identified” him. A missed opportunity!

The Pentagram Killer plot feels a bit incohesive especially on the part where the brother goes on shooting rampage. A muddled chain of events.

“Maybe tomorrow you’ll be the big hero.”

“You didn’t have to take my hero comment seriously.”

Lucy is going to be given a golden ticket and that’s how she’ll make a detective, isn’t she? 🙄

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Nolan is truly an incompetent TO. Open your eyes, Sgt. Grey!

Does Tim’s TRAIN approach take Aaron’s PTSD into consideration while assessing his every reaction to each test?

It would have been hilarious if they get Stacey (murder-for-hire wife) to bump into Smitty at the elevator after she “identified” him. A missed opportunity!

The Pentagram Killer plot feels a bit incohesive especially on the part where the brother goes on shooting rampage. A muddled chain of events.

“Maybe tomorrow you’ll be the big hero.”

“You didn’t have to take my hero comment seriously.”

Lucy is going to be given a golden ticket and that’s how she’ll make a detective, isn’t she? 🙄

Officer Chen is probably getting a Medal of Valor along with a golden ticket. What I don't like is the very special I just killed someone story after they have had multiple shootings like this one since the pilot episode.

Detective Harper has come off like a sociopathic killer cop this  season. 

As for the Tim test the entire point was the street don't care about his past and the department had to know 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, edhopper said:

So Detectives, who do investigative work, are SWAT, with full auto weapons?

Does their precenct only have 10 cops?

Well not fully auto but since the North Hollywood bank robbery in 1997 all those "shops" to go back to the first season's terminology, now carry carbines in addition to the traditional shotguns. Smitty did actual police work when the FBI was involved.

• Useful 1

Boy, this show does love its shootouts; what is it, at least one per episode? It sure feels like that.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:43 AM, shapeshifter said:

But then did they ruin it be implying Aaron and the therapist are going to fall in love?

The second we saw that Aaron's therapist was a pretty, young woman, that's where I was expecting the story to go; shows often have these types of storylines and I hate them.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2024 at 8:59 PM, edhopper said:

So Detectives, who do investigative work, are SWAT, with full auto weapons?

Does their precenct only have 10 cops?

tbh I was wondering where she pulled the rifle out of. They showed her just sitting in the car responding, then they flashed to the car again and she was loading her rifle.

Wonder where she was hiding it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

tbh I was wondering where she pulled the rifle out of. They showed her just sitting in the car responding, then they flashed to the car again and she was loading her rifle.

Wonder where she was hiding it.

I would have to go back but since the pair also had the heavier combat armor on I will just head canon that off screen they made a quick stop to get the battle gear out of the trunk of the car. So on screen we would only see the action of a car moving at full speed 

• Like 1

I'm a little late to the party, but did anyone else recognize Jason Wiles of "Third Watch" fame?

IMO, he surely has not aged well.

2 hours ago, preeya said:

I'm a little late to the party, but did anyone else recognize Jason Wiles of "Third Watch" fame?

IMO, he surely has not aged well.

I just did a re watch when Tubi picked up Third Watch. I  caught him on Will Trent but didn't notice him here.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I just did a re watch when Tubi picked up Third Watch. I  caught him on Will Trent but didn't notice him here.

Untitled.jpg.83b29b1ac1e46c24aa7d1bec030d1c87.jpg

Jeff Budny

Edited by preeya

This episode had one of my least favorite tropes - cop gives a citizen their card and tells them to call, but is then annoyed and put out when they actually call. SIR??? Don’t give the upset old woman your card and specifically point out that your cell number is on it if you don’t want her calling your cell.