Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

palm-royale-photo-010108-1710788813802.j

Maxine is ready to start a new life in Palm Beach. While trying to join an elite club, she discovers several secrets — while hiding her own.

Premiere Date: March 20, 2024         Apple TV+ 

1478x832.webp

It takes forever for me to finish watching this episode. 😩

This show features an all-star ensemble cast but they seem to be playing a character that’s much, much younger than who they are.

Am exhausted by Maxine’s relentless shenanigans and I can only tolerate a small dose of Kristen Wiig. Obviously, this show isn’t for me. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

This show features an all-star ensemble cast but they seem to be playing a character that’s much, much younger than who they are.

I agree that Kristen Wiig seems to be playing a character that would make more sense as someone in her 20s or 30s, rather than someone closer to Wiig's actual age. 

They do have a really good cast, though, so there is that. 

• Like 2

I've had to readjust my expectations of the show, which doesn't mean I've given up on it. Meaning, I've had to decide the show isn't a comedy! (Because it's not funny.) If I look at the show as a drama with the occasional mildly amusing moment, I like it better.

• Like 3

I don’t know what genre this show is ..I would call it Mildly spoofy? But I’m enjoying it so far except I don’t know how she’s going to get away with stealing all of Carol Burnett’s jewelry and is she in a fancy nursing home? I’m surprised nothing has disappeared before that unless Kristen Wigg had a key &  it is locked up after she leaves. And of course they are betting on inheriting all the money and you know there’s gonna be a wrench thrown in there somehow.

• Like 1

Agree that the main characters seem to be much younger than the actors. And Laura Dern either has had a facelift or there was a thick filter on the camera, because her face looked a lot different than the last time I saw her on TV. 

I don't think they have captured the tone of this show. It is playing more as comedy than drama IMO, but it's not very funny. I wanted to watch for the cast and the 1960s setting, but I don't know if I'll last long. I'll give it a few more episodes. 

18 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

And Laura Dern either has had a facelift or there was a thick filter on the camera, because her face looked a lot different than the last time I saw her on TV. 

In addition to Dern, Wiig looks quite different, and even Janney. Do you suppose they go in as a group and get a discount?

• LOL 2

took me three sitting to finish this first episode and was completely underwhelmed.  I like to look at pretty sets and pretty clothes -but there's not enough to hold me to it. I'll try E02 tonight. 

Also - are the ariel exterior of the Club - Mar a Lago?  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

took me three sitting to finish this first episode and was completely underwhelmed.  I like to look at pretty sets and pretty clothes -but there's not enough to hold me to it. I'll try E02 tonight. 

God, I hope not. 😳

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Given the activism and public stance of at least two of the female leads who are also producers (and likely others involved at various levels of production), this is a no-brainer question. Using aerial shots of that property would be a dealbreaker for at least two of them, if not more.

The answer is no. 

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

Given the activism and public stance of at least two of the female leads who are also producers (and likely others involved at various levels of production), this is a no-brainer question. Using aerial shots of that property would be a dealbreaker for at least two of them, if not more.

The answer is no. 

your response prompted me to actually google it.  And it is indeed Mar a Lago.  My mom lives about 10 miles down the coast from it and I had a feeling (I refuse to drive past it in recent years) Since he didn't "own" it when this is supposed to take place - I guess that's how the producers justified letting it in.  It is an iconic property, so if you're doing a show in 1960 PB - you have to have it in there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

your response prompted me to actually google it.  And it is indeed Mar a Lago.  My mom lives about 10 miles down the coast from it and I had a feeling (I refuse to drive past it in recent years) Since he didn't "own" it when this is supposed to take place - I guess that's how the producers justified letting it in.  It is an iconic property, so if you're doing a show in 1960 PB - you have to have it in there.

That is absolutely shocking to me. And disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2