Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: See You Next Wednesday

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week, Ru thrills the cast by pulling out a fresh and contemporary reference from the oh-so-now Danny Thomas Show!  Even Plasma does a double-take at that one when she realizes that even she keeps her cultural references to the still-living. Seriously, WoW, comedy has moved on since the fifties Vaudeville.

After a few minutes of flatlining in the tedious mini-challenge, our Gothesses are tasked with...something, and, after some predictable sartorial meltdowns, almost everyone turns out some pretty great looks that RuPaul claims to be "goth". Sapphira is given props for making two complete looks, the show tries to make amends for Utica's robbery by giving Q her rightful win, and then also makes a fatal error by appointing Plane the narrator of the season. Couldn't they ask Dawn to talk, or maybe that Fabric Wall? Mhi'ya and Morphine are deemed to be "predictable" (lies!), but it's Plasma who exits the competition, as she leaves her mid-century comfort zone to make a sad, lonely, and somewhat tacky trip to Cherville. Population: one. I may miss you, Plasma! But Mhi'ya really did destroy you in that lipsynch.

Next week: it looks like the Governor has called and given the audience another week's reprieve from the inevitable late-season improv challenge! WILL our luck hold for the rest of the season?

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah M'iyah did win it fair and square. But Plasma was my girl, and the rest of the season is going to be a little less colourful with her gone.

(See what I did there?)

• Like 7

I'm going to miss Plasma, but I think she is a great candidate for a future All Stars.  She's very talented in the competitions, (apart from design challenges), but needs to curate some outstanding runway looks.  So many queens bring All Stars runway looks to the regular season- the bar has been raised over the years.  

With Mhi'ya's amazing flips, it seems she can't be beat in a lip synch.  Does this mean she is going to go all the way to the finals?  She's been in the bottom 3 times, yet she saves herself with her lip synching talent.  

• Like 6

What was Kaia Gerber wearing at the judges table? It made her look like she had a pin head and huge body. I liked Plasma but her outfit was terrible and couldn’t stand up to the amazing looks the others had. Really loved Q’s look-very couture. 

(edited)

Dawn went right up to Nymphia and told her that everybody was shocked that she wasn’t in the bottom. I’m sure Plane Jane looks at her and wonders why she gets away with the pot stirring and not her. The crucial difference is, PJ  thinks like a predator and goes after the wounded in hopes of finishing them, while Dawn will walk up to the biggest and baddest queens and get into their head. She knew full well Nymphia could have looked at her, scanned her up and down and said “Girl, you should be more concerned about why you never come out on top. Q and I have blocked you in every design challenge, so how do you plan to win now?” Dawn is unfazed. Later, she “helped” Plasma right out the door with her “don’t you think you should try something new” approach.

15 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

With Mhi'ya's amazing flips, it seems she can't be beat in a lip synch.  Does this mean she is going to go all the way to the finals?

Despite Mhi’ya’s newfound confidence, she is swirling the drain. If Plasma gave a remotely interesting lip sync, she could have beaten her this week. Mhi’ya took off her wig to reveal petals and then… a wig cap.  A major no no.  Then she showed the barbie crotch thing instead of a panty with those flips. At the end, she seemed to be flailing. She was messy. Most of the other queens (I'm just gonna whistle past Q) would have probably given a more polished and interesting lip sync and made it easier for Ru to send Mhi’ya home. Plasma didn’t have a solid plan for either the challenge or lip sync and essentially sashayed herself away.

8 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

What was Kaia Gerber wearing at the judges table?

I thought Kaia was bringing David Byrne drag to the set.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

In this episode, I realized Q looks like Phil and Lil from Rugrats. I didn’t love her look as much as the judges - the ripped fishnet and shiny panty just didn’t work for me with the rest. It felt too cliche. 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I thought Kaia was bringing David Byrne drag to the set.

I thought David Byrne as well but nothing was mentioned about it and it was way before her time so I don’t know what was going on there. 

• Like 1

I thought all the queens ended up with a great outfit (Plasma's being the least successful, but still a well sewn look), yet I felt some of the looks did not fit the brief of being "goth." I know the judges thought they fit the theme, so I'm not correct in my opinion, but here goes anyway. I felt Sapphira's gown was gorgeous, but didn't seem goth at all.  It seemed like a beautiful ball gown or runway gown.  (BTW, I love Sapphira and she is an amazing queen and sister to the others).  Also, Q's look read more club kid than goth.  Adding the torn netting fabric helped keep it to the theme, but all those bows and different patterns took it in another direction.  I think Dawn and Nymphia had the most successful GOTH looks, though there were many stunning outfits on the runway. They should all be proud.

I feel bad for the queens who don't design and sew that they had 3 design challenges this season, but on the other hand, I LOVED seeing the queens create these gorgeous looks!

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

How Nymphia lost this runway challenge is beyond me. I like both her and Q and their designs for this runway but Nyphia's look made me gasp in awe while I only nodded in approval of Q's. 

Y'all know I love Sapphira, her character work on the runway, especially when Ru commented "it is break time at the Haunted Mansion" made me LOL. I also love how Sapphira is Mother to her fellow contestants, her werk room hug and support of Plasma makes me love her even more. 

I liked Plasma so seeing her sashay away made me sad. I still think she's way more talented than Jane. I'm wondering if by braiding the long Cher hair into two braids a la Wednesday Addams she maybe would've looked a tad more goth? 

Mhi'ya's growing confidence is a joy to see but I just can't see her as final 4 material. Still heart you, girl. 

Kaia is one nepo baby I just canNOT with. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I feel bad for the queens who don't design and sew that they had 3 design challenges this season, but on the other hand, I LOVED seeing the queens create these gorgeous looks!

I think we talk about this every year, but this isn't the first season of the show. They know there will be create your own runway looks at least once if not twice. If you don't already know how to sew, you should be buying a cheap ass machine off Craigslist and pulling up some Youtube tutorials. I know not all fabric sews the same and that there are differences between this and that and putting in a zipper and sleeves and all that. But have some basic sewing skills at least. 

I'm surprised Plasma went home so early. For no real reason I didn't care for her, but I figured she'd be top 3 easily. 

• Like 1

Yes Nymphia was the winner this week IMO but Q was not far behind. 

Saffira's look needed different hair and makeup to be Goth.

M'hiya's lipsync was messy and I would have given Plasma the win.

• Like 3
On 3/4/2024 at 9:48 AM, joanne3482 said:

think we talk about this every year, but this isn't the first season of the show. They know there will be create your own runway looks at least once if not twice. If you don't already know how to sew, you should be buying a cheap ass machine off Craigslist and pulling up some Youtube tutorials. I know not all fabric sews the same and that there are differences between this and that and putting in a zipper and sleeves and all that. But have some basic sewing skills at least. 

I so agree with this.  I'm tired of contestants coming on to long running shows an saying "I can't do this challenge because I don't do X" when there is at least one or two X challenges every season.    If it's your dream to win this thing you should be practicing and preparing for all the common challenges from the moment you turn in your audition, if not sooner.

I do love Saffira and want to see her go all the way to the finally.  I thought Plasma would last longer than she did, but I don't think there's really been enough comedy queen challenges for her to find her groove.

• Like 2

So tired of M'hiya. The lip sync (flip sync?) was at best a draw which should've given the edge to Plasma for actually creating an outfit. Grrrr!

• Like 3