Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: A Roulette Wheel and a Piano Playing Dog

• Start Topic

On 2/23/2024 at 6:40 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Of all the things to nitpick, but why were they teaching Sheldon’s class in English?  Of course he doesn’t know German, so we’ll just have a German university teaching in English. Sitcom logic. 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:17 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Possibly because it's (I believe) a special international program and English is a universal language. I assume the class is made up of students from many countries.

Exactly. English is the Lingua Franca (Lingua Anglo?) of science and would be spoken by high level international students from all countries. And having the classes in English instead of subtitles means we get Robert Picardo so why not?

I liked that finally someone turned the tables on Sheldon and put him down for East Texas Tech, like he has done for Princeton and MIT. It's about time.

Speaking of about time don't you mean "like he will do"?

On 2/23/2024 at 11:57 AM, lh25 said:

I'm not sure she does.  It seems like this is set in the summer, and George Sr seems to be home a lot.  Makes sense, as a HS coach he'd have summers off.

As a TEXAS coach though? He should be trying to poach players from other districts and finding fake addresses for them to "move" to, leading prohibited off season team work outs, watching tape, etc. I guess this explains why they haven't had consistent success...

• Like 4
(edited)
On 2/24/2024 at 10:38 AM, Yeah No said:

LOL, a Chevette - mine was about as bad, it was a Mercury Zephyr, the sister car to one of the worst cars of all time - the Ford Fairmont.  It was auctioned off from a rental car company for about the same as your car.  It's a wonder we all survived riding around in those horrible cars.  It used to break down regularly in bad neighborhoods. 

My first car was a 1980 Ford Fairmont LOL.  Ugly and drove like a tin can.   You had the luxury version.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My first car was a 1980 Ford Fairmont LOL.  Ugly and drove like a tin can.   You had the luxury version.

LOL, thanks for the laugh!  😉  As I'm sure you know, "luxurious" was not a word that would apply to my car.  Here's a photo of me with it in 1984, taken in the Caldor parking lot in Port Chester, NY.  Note the "I love Westies" and "I love the Police" stickers, referring to the dog breed and the rock band.  And haha, we had skinny pants back then!

Renee Caldor 1984-5

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 2/23/2024 at 1:28 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

That wasn't the girl's character's name (it was Mei-Tung), but it would have been a great joke if she was Joyce Kim.

The professor called her Joyce, because my immediate thought was Joyce . .  Kim?

I just rewatched with captions on b/c I was so curious -- when the professor first calls her over, the captions say "Miss Chen." Which SOUNDED like Kim, which is why I went back and turned the captions on.

Edited by Sailorgirl26
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I didn't notice that, so maybe it WAS Joyce Kim. 😃

Speaking of the other students in the class:  

Wouldn't Dr. Sturgis or Dr. Linkletter have pulled Sheldon aside and told him, 

"Sheldon, you are the smartest kid in town.  Maybe the smartest kid in Texas.  Be ready because you are going into a program where EVERYBODY is the smartest kid in their hometown.  This may be the first time you're not the number one in the class."

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

"Sheldon, you are the smartest kid in town.  Maybe the smartest kid in Texas.  Be ready because you are going into a program where EVERYBODY is the smartest kid in their hometown.  This may be the first time you're not the number one in the class."

Linkletter doesn’t like Sheldon enough to help him like that. And as sweet as Sturgis is, he doesn’t strike me as a guy who would think of that.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

This is what used to happen to kids who got into Harvard (or other elite schools), they went from being the smartest kid in school to being just a kid in school.  I knew a number of kids who never got over this.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 2/22/2024 at 10:21 PM, Chit Chat said:

Welcome to motherhood, Missy!!  

Missy took on the responsibility all on her own.  Sure, everybody can pitch in when they're not at work, but she seemed to get overwhelmed after 2 or 3 days.  She's got a lot to learn about the real world.  ;)  

Why isn’t Georgie’s girlfriend doing more? She sits around with a puss on her face .  She’s  got a house full of people to help with the baby.  She’s been living off these people when she has a home she could temporarily go back to instead of burdening this family after a traumatic event . 

• Like 2
On 4/5/2024 at 6:17 AM, chediavolo said:

Why isn’t Georgie’s girlfriend doing more? She sits around with a puss on her face .  She’s  got a house full of people to help with the baby.  She’s been living off these people when she has a home she could temporarily go back to instead of burdening this family after a traumatic event . 

Isn't Mandy working at the video store, at least part-time?  Not saying she shouldn't be doing more at home, too, but she's doing more than just sitting around.

• Like 1