Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Fix My Father With 34 Children (Part 1)

Oh, did she ever. There were a couple other comments about his mishandling of the dolls I didn't even put in. Not to mention the part later where two people were arguing over her and she shut them up by ringing a large brass bell.

• Love 1

That brass bell was everything. Iyanla is so ridiculous and yet, sometimes she makes sense. The guy's father seemed really self-involved and the mother seemed emotionally fragile. Like she'd been a mess since her childhood.

When Jay said he was heartbroken at the beginning of the episode, my bullshit meter went off. I think a lot of these people say what they think Iyanla wants to hear but they aren't willing to "do the work". The fist-pounding and constantly leaving was too much for me.

I look forward to watching the women and their numerous excuses about why they had kids with someone who fathered at least two little league teams.

• Love 1

@RedKoolAide Yeah, the part about being heartbroken definitely sounded like an advance setup by her producers. I do think that in the time she's there, she generally does a good job of giving people a different perspective and the option of a new set of behaviors. But I watch for stuff like the brass bell. More cowbell, Iyanla!

@Brooklynista Yeah, that's a good read; that "well, if I get married, I'd want to give my wife like one baby" was weak sauce.

• Love 1

The next time someone is chastising me and calling me on my shit I'm just going to start eating some grapes.

^^This. I was like, "Is this fool just gobbling down grapes? Mid-conversation?" WOW.

Well, the saying goes "it takes a village to raise a child." What does it take to raise a village of children? A continent?

• Love 4

I swear ya'll are my everything lol!! swimmyfish it's better n that lovie, she told him that his hand was in HIS BABY'S eye. Say whatcha want about her methods and bags of tricks and carryon, I'm here for it all day long.

The sheer pathological thought pattern of rejecting the idea of a vasectomy in case his future wife wants a child? Ok A) what the hell sort of wackadoo does he think would agree to be bound to this nutfuckery for life? B) and subsequently want him to have a 35th child? C) He disagrees with this being characterized as selfish? Bro really? D) Why are there grown ass people still shaggin without condoms? WHAAAT?

Oh honey mr daddy had to get clean up and outta there. All the Harvard degrees in the world could not turn his bullshit into anything that sounded like sense. Your 15 year old goes from sleeping on the floor in the hallway to shelters and alleyways and you neither know nor care to know? Yes please hurry up and GTFOH. Bye ashy.

The mom. Just sad. Was she a substance abuser at some point? Because I was really having trouble with a then 33 year old woman who simply decides to abandon her only child. Did I miss her saying where she was when he describes his teenage homelessness?

When is part II?

• Love 5

Oh honey mr daddy had to get clean up and outta there. All the Harvard degrees in the world could not turn his bullshit into anything that sounded like sense.

Okay I LOVE me a good Iyanla smackdown as much as the next person and there is plenty o' blame to go around. 

BUT, I think the old man got testy because he felt like he was being portrayed as a wife beater and he was tryiing to explain that she often threw the first punch or it was mutual combat.  Mama of the Year pitched enough of a hissy to confirm that is she is indeed batshit crazy.

I wish Iyanla had a big ol' Master Blaster squirt gun in her bag - you know like you use on puppies to make them stop chewing the furniture.  I'd pay goood money to see her squirt the fools when they get mouthy!

• Love 2

When the dad tried to remember the year he abandoned Jay as if there was justification behind it...I can't. Even if he was upset about the gun theft, he treated his son like shit before that. Sleeping on the floor in front of the bathroom? The hell?

I can't remember how many kids the father has but I think he has quite a few, too, according to the family tree chart.

I look forward to the older daughters not buying Jay's bs.

Edited by RedKoolAide
  • Love 1

A) what the hell sort of wackadoo does he think would agree to be bound to this nutfuckery for life? B) and subsequently want him to have a 35th child? C) He disagrees with this being characterized as selfish? Bro really? D) Why are there grown ass people still shaggin without condoms? WHAAAT?

OKAY?!? I couldn't believe he fixed his mouth to say he didn't want have a vasectomy--well fool, that's how you ended up with an army of children!!! I'm going to need for him to clip, tie, or however they do it, and call it a day.  Not to mention getting busy with NO protection, just irresponsible.  And goodness...I can't even begin to think how much he's paying in child support.

I didn't think the mom was crazy, she had some serious issues, but at least she kept it 100 and owned up to her mistakes. The dad, however, was a piece of work; I agree he was totally self-absorbed, and had no insight in his role in his poor treatment of his son. Who allows his son to sleep on the floor while his sisters nice and cozy in their beds? Iyanla laying the smackdown on him was brilliant. I wished I had some of them grapes, though. 

Oh, I'm so excited she's back on! Bring on the props, coffee, grapes and some tough love!!

Edited by sereion
  • Love 2