Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: RDR Live!

• Start Topic

Live from Tuckahoe, it's RDR Live! The queens are challenged to serve up laughs in a hilarious send-up of the iconic sketch comedy show. Actress and three-time SNL host Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

Airs 1/26 at 8pm on MTV

So I know some of us have been ragging on Plane Jane for being a low-rent Jimbo, and she's pushed back on that.

But in her skit tonight, all I could see was Jimbo's Fern McCall from AS8.

It was practically the same skit anyway (deck building vs gardening services), so I guess I can see why Plane would want to do it.

But that's not doing her any favours. She should have chosen something else if she didn't want the Jimbo comparisons.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Starchild said:

So I know some of us have been ragging on Plane Jane for being a low-rent Jimbo, and she's pushed back on that.

But in her skit tonight, all I could see was Jimbo's Fern McCall from AS8.

It was practically the same skit anyway (deck building vs gardening services), so I guess I can see why Plane would want to do it.

But that's not doing her any favours. She should have chosen something else if she didn't want the Jimbo comparisons.

Came here to say this!  It was exactly the same!  I'm wondering about the timeline of when this was filmed vs when All Stars 8 was televised.  I would like to be wrong about thinking that Plane Jane is borrowing too much from Jimbo.

• Like 2
(edited)

I don't even know where to begin.

This RDR episode had everything: a bitchy mean girl, benevolent bitchy mean girls, The Streisand Effect, gowns beautiful gowns, Cher and Chers I like, wigs that turned back time, and a wordless dervish.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Came here to say this!  It was exactly the same!  I'm wondering about the timeline of when this was filmed vs when All Stars 8 was televised.  I would like to be wrong about thinking that Plane Jane is borrowing too much from Jimbo.

I don’t really like Plane Jain, but we have to let her off the hook, I guess. Season 16 started filming almost exactly when AS8 was airing (the premiere would have been the only episode shown), so I feel like this was really poor planning on the show’s part. 

I don’t know why they had essentially the exact same skit or why they aired the parts where they praised Planned Jan for the same things they praised jimbo for. Do they think we’ve seen so many seasons of drag race in the last year that we’d forget?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another one I'd have liked to see more of gone too soon. That was a really unfortunate series of events and choices. If Mirage hadn't pushed to get host for the skit, most likely she'd have been safe, the sixties hair, even though it looked nice, and then not getting the words down to that song, even with those great moves... 

So pleased for Plasma and the win. I rewatched her reaction and talking heads three times! 

• Like 4
(edited)

"And next up is Megami...serving Delta Work. As Mistress. As Cher!"

God, the runway tonight was terrible for such a legend.

I'm paying more attention to Amanda's Makeup Race right now more than I am to half the contestants. What's happening???

Plasma = Jan x Loosey^2 / Pandora's anxiety. WHO has a mid-century comfort zone?

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, violet and green said:

Another one I'd have liked to see more of gone too soon. That was a really unfortunate series of events and choices. If Mirage hadn't pushed to get host for the skit, most likely she'd have been safe, the sixties hair, even though it looked nice, and then not getting the words down to that song, even with those great moves... 

I don't think Mirage should have been in the bottom.  Her hosting was fine.  Some of the acting in the skits was a lot worse.  However, when she was asked to lip sync for her life, I figured she would outshine Geneva with no problem, since she killed it during the talent show.  Who knew she would flub the words??? I was gutted by her reaction.  I hope she is booked and blessed for eons!

• Like 4

This episode had that classic RPDR ending, where some poor queen loses it at being sent home, and the remaining queens stand back like abused dogs at a bad kennel, not making eye contact, and then Ru demands they say "Amen" and dance for her. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
40 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I don't think Mirage should have been in the bottom.  Her hosting was fine.  Some of the acting in the skits was a lot worse.  However, when she was asked to lip sync for her life, I figured she would outshine Geneva with no problem, since she killed it during the talent show.  Who knew she would flub the words??? I was gutted by her reaction.  I hope she is booked and blessed for eons!

Well, production certainly didn't want us to think so given the way that the laugh-track "sweetening" was killed off during her bits. But I still can't process that she screwed up the lyrics to "Dark Lady". HOW? It's like screwing up the theme to "The Love Boat"! Didn't she go through a Cher phase in her early twenties and listen obsessively to "Miss Subway of 1952" in her room? My god.

Rant aside, "Take Me Home" would have been a far better lipsynch song.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

"Take Me Home" would have been a far better lipsynch song.

"Wrapped in your aaaarms to-night. Your place or miiiiiine?!"

Love the video for this song. Cher dancing around the Bradbury building with a bunch of men and Elliot Gould is just weird.

• Like 2

Ugh I rarely watch SNL nowadays, I don't need to see a blow by blow recreation on Drag Race.

So sad that Mirage is gone.  I was really rooting for her.  The monologues on SNL usually suck (unless it's done by a stand up comedian).  Mirage's performance was on par with like 90% of SNL's real hosts.  It's clear she was the expected winner of the lip sync but sealed her fate by not knowing the words.

Love how we now get an obligatory RuPaul performance each season.  It's always her moving just a little bit while a bunch of hot, half-naked men do the heavy-lifting.  And you know what, I'm into it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zenithwit said:

Love how we now get an obligatory RuPaul performance each season.  It's always her moving just a little bit while a bunch of hot, half-naked men do the heavy-lifting.  And you know what, I'm into it.

Compare to the last few, where she was "moving" like the tin man in a straight jacket, she actually was swinging those hips and working those heels!

• Like 1

Honestly, I've been muting Ru's performance for some years. I cannot even. 

Much love to SMG for being such a great (to me) guest judge. Her "I'm a mere Prinze" quip made me laugh as did her confession that she had been waiting years to use it. Adorable. 

I can't stop thinking of Mhi'ah's Cher/Kermit impression. 

I cringed at some of those Cher runway looks. I was sad to see Mirage sashay away, I heart her but girl, you need to know the words to the song if you think you might be in the bottom. I'm ok with Plasma winning but Q's Cher look was phenomenal. I also laughed when Plasma as Barbra kept singing as she moved her microphone all around her.

I guess we're stuck with Jane til the end. Great. 

Oh btw Trixie's guest on the Pit Stop for this episode is the Mackie Doll herself, Kahmora Hall.

• Like 1

Mirage going home was fine. Her "hosting" performance wasn't that bad but she wasn't winning this season....Also showing up without knowing lyrics to a Cher tune is not a good strategy.

Sapphira reminds me of Zeze Zaharia Zenet (spelling is WAY off). Too much of a put-on of dignity acting as if she is above it all. I find her overrated so hoping she doesn't go much further. 

There is nothing really original about Plane Jane. 

Megami can take her droopy potato of a face off of my TV screen ASAFP.

Nymphia Wind ftw.

2 hours ago, Mahfouz said:

Also showing up without knowing lyrics to a Cher tune is not a good strategy.

Michelle offscreen: "Not. One. Word!" Lol! I wish they had shown her on camera so that we could see her level disgust! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1