Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Wicked said:

Loved the first episode!!

Same here.  I did wonder how the two managed to stay together.  She looks really nice and pre-makeover, Ernest looked, for a lack of a better term, homeless.  Great jobs giving him a new look!!

• Like 3

Cheers to Ernest and Miranda. I’m guessing it was mostly inertia that prevented them divorcing and perhaps Miranda said something to her daughter that sparked the SOS.

All the guys did a good job, but Bobby! Home run. I’m sorry this season is his last because he understood the assignment. Miranda’s space and shared space. Well-played. Also, New Orleans!

• Like 3
(edited)

Oh it started! I will have to catch up. I kept looking and then forgot with other things going on. ; )  Yes, I'll miss Bobby but inside politics and other things he wants to do take precedence, I wish him well. I see him on commercials now.

I did see a review that said it was getting tired now and some of the emotion seemed gone, they are dong too much of the same, "didn't we see this " type of thing. I'll make my own decision but it is hard to keep it fresh especially going to the same areas. I still love them though.

UPDATE

I really liked it, they were very "real". I thought the conversations for the most part, seemed natural and his reaction to the home makeover was very emotional and touching. They wont have updates with them (like Kenny) because they are private and off social media, but I know they'll be fine with many good memories.

Edited by debraran

KISS episode was not as overwhelming to me because I felt a level of sadness throughout the show that culminated in a mixed ending. I wont give spoilers but I was shocked reading this that Gene wasn't given a cameo this episode. I guess he wanted his own. Sad though because his "biggest fan" would have loved it. Someone on Reddit said most of his KISS stuff is in a spare room dedicated to that and although the guys didn't watch their makeover this time, they did a good job. I had criticism of the gallery thing but wont comment until more see it.

What I read from 2004. https://www.today.com/popculture/queer-eye-straight-gene-simmons-1c9486036

• Like 1
14 hours ago, debraran said:

KISS episode was not as overwhelming to me because I felt a level of sadness throughout the show that culminated in a mixed ending. I wont give spoilers but I was shocked reading this that Gene wasn't given a cameo this episode. I guess he wanted his own. Sad though because his "biggest fan" would have loved it. Someone on Reddit said most of his KISS stuff is in a spare room dedicated to that and although the guys didn't watch their makeover this time, they did a good job. I had criticism of the gallery thing but wont comment until more see it.

What I read from 2004. https://www.today.com/popculture/queer-eye-straight-gene-simmons-1c9486036

Oh this episode hit me right where it hurts when we learned right at the end that

Spoiler

his brother Doody had passed.

What an amazing guy Tim was to have stepped up and done so much for his brother over all those years. 

• Like 3

The Sweet Life: Doreen

Don’t know how much the show had to do with the penultimate event in this one, but that’s what I watch for—the hero celebrated. And I had to bust out the Kleenex for so much of this. Sweet. And bittersweet. Well-deserved and lovely. 

3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Don’t know how much the show had to do with the penultimate event in this one, but that’s what I watch for—the hero celebrated. And I had to bust out the Kleenex for so much of this. Sweet. And bittersweet. Well-deserved and lovely. 

We watched this one today and loved it too.  What an amazing, talented lady Doreen is!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, katisha said:

Oh this episode hit me right where it hurts when we learned right at the end that

Hide contents

his brother Doody had passed.

What an amazing guy Tim was to have stepped up and done so much for his brother over all those years. 

Spoiler

Sometimes when you can for someone a long time you can have trouble adjusting, lost of mission, guilt for feeling "free", sadness over the death. I hope he gets help if he needs it. Seemed like a nice guy and good brother and dad.

4 hours ago, katisha said:

We watched this one today and loved it too.  What an amazing, talented lady Doreen is!

I found it hard to watch having googled the episode. She complained a lot about stolen things and "mess the producers left" The candy store which isn't open was a mess so I don't know what she meant but Bobbys response and hers has been removed, but only screenshots of them left. She mentions nothing of them which is a first I think, in her social media pages and nothing about the store. It seemed except to highlight her wonderful talent a waste of a show. They should have just stuck with making her a studio or maybe something else but it left a bad taste. I am underwhelmed with all but 3 of them this season which is short. It's hard to know she had a bad experience but it was sure to happen at some point.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I skipped around and watched the one with the ex nun. Mixed bag but liked it much more than some others. The "date" thing could have been left out, bit silly at her age and she is a well rounded, smart woman. She is a lawyer, advocate, loves God, knows herself, can talk to anyone. I'm glad she got instruction on how to give to herself too and dress a little more flashy (if she wants) but I loved how she pinned some cleavage in a scene. We all don't like the same things. She will be fine and I liked her and would love her as a neighbor. I also loved how her home was so adorable, a rent I think but very nice. They fix up a lot of rentals but hers didn't need much. She was a type A for sure. lol

I thought it was a little passive/aggressive that they replaced her dresser with labels on it with a wicker one that she couldn't do that with. If that is an issue, it's a small one. I saw more of her background on her linkedin page and she should be proud of her accomplishments and time in convent.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alisonmccrary

Edited by debraran
On 1/26/2024 at 1:32 AM, buttersister said:

All the guys did a good job, but Bobby! Home run. I’m sorry this season is his last because he understood the assignment. Miranda’s space and shared space. Well-played. Also, New Orleans!

Their outdoor space was GORGEOUS. I loved it. The home was beautiful too, but I really loved the outdoor.

On 1/26/2024 at 1:32 AM, buttersister said:

I’m guessing it was mostly inertia that prevented them divorcing

I wondered about that because some of the stuff with their house was an easy fix - a coat of paint would have done a lot. I think they were kind of going through the motions.

• Like 2
(edited)

I thought they did a great physical makeover with Doreen, hair and clothes. I'm sorry she didn't think the experience was that great.

They also made the Kiss guy look about 300% better. I wonder what happened with Gene Simmons that a cameo didn't work out. Scheduling? Or it didn't go that great and they edited it out?

I'll miss Bobby, He does a great job. I've wanted him to come fix up my apartment. I hope they find someone equally on target.

Edited by Hanya2
wanted to add something

Yikes, I read up on Doreen. Sounds like the Fab 5 we’re not her problem.

My impression while watching her episode was that Bobby fixed up the sweet shop, but that’s different than getting it ready to function as a business. So maybe not a surprise that it isn’t running/open. Interesting that Bobby reached out to help but his post was deleted. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Hanya2 said:

I thought they did a great physical makeover with Doreen, hair and clothes. I'm sorry she didn't think the experience was that great.

They also made the Kiss guy look about 300% better. I wonder what happened with Gene Simmons that a cameo didn't work out. Scheduling? Or it didn't go that great and they edited it out?

I'll miss Bobby, He does a great job. I've wanted him to come fix up my apartment. I hope they find someone equally on target.

I don't think they asked him or he said No. He was asked to be on the old show in 2004 and said he liked it but it never happened. (at least I don't remember him doing it) I'm sure $$ had a lot to do with it and they can't pay him what he would get for other things I'm sure. I thought even a video of him thanking him for being a fan would have been great. Even if not Gene, anyone in the group.

(edited)

For me, with Doreen,  it wasn't whether the Netflix crew stole things (or someone else at night) but her anger was so overwhelming and vague in her accusations online. I'm sure someone told her to take down the posts. (lawyer, family) I felt and I know I'm maybe in the minority, she hated everything. The clothes (and I agree) were not her at all, and didn't look good. Her hair, it looked fine but NOT easy to upkeep. She liked braids because they were easier. My daughter is biracial and she got braids to travel for a month because she likes the look and it's one less thing to do everyday.

Why did the nominator want the candy store fixed if no desire was to open it? It takes permits and insurance and money for products and she never did that herself, her mom did. Even the pastries weren't something she seemed comfortable doing. It just felt "off" the whole show. I googled after and found out more but I feel bad that she totally dissed all of the. The Fab 5 are not mentioned in her social media and it was like they never came. She didn't say "the guys were fine but the staff was awful" I just feel bad an episode was wasted on someone who really didn't enjoy it. The publicity helps but at this point, not really needed.

Edited by debraran

Finished the season.  Loved the finale, not sure about the one with the former nun.  I get that she wanted a full makeover/re-do, but she's crunchy to the core.  It's like a full 180 lifestyle.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Finished the season.  Loved the finale, not sure about the one with the former nun.  I get that she wanted a full makeover/re-do, but she's crunchy to the core.  It's like a full 180 lifestyle.  

My daughter's boyfriend knows a mutual friend since he is studying  theology and philosophy. She did a nice interview with America magazine back when she was a nun. Not as nervous or giggly.

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2019/09/27/sr-alison-mccrary-beyond-habit

Working my way through these episodes and am enjoying them; sad to hear that Doreen had a bad experience. 

This is a silly question, but does anyone know what Jonathan put in Alison’s hair? I always end up cutting off my (curly) hair because I can’t deal with it when it’s longer. 

On 1/28/2024 at 3:52 PM, Hanya2 said:

KISS was on their farewell tour that wrapped in December, so I'm guessing there were scheduling conflicts.  

Almost done with this season, and Antoni still doesn't seem capable of doing his job. His "cooking" segments have gotten sadder as the show goes on. Nachos? Any stoned college student could throw that together. And with Alison, he had a chance to teach her a little bit about mixology and maybe find her a interesting cocktail that would be tasty. Nope, he made her a screwdriver. So lazy.

I get that his major selling point is his looks, but at least give some sort of effort for these people. Too bad Bobby's leaving and not him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cmfran said:

Nope, he made her a screwdriver. So lazy.

Not that it matters, back when I was tending bar in the 80s, a vodka with oj and cranberry was a madras.

3 hours ago, cmfran said:

I get that his major selling point is his looks,

That's his only selling point!

• Like 1

I was thinking about who I'd rather lose than Bobby. Jonathan, while a lot, and I hope this all makes him happy, does try hard to improve their heroes. Not so much with Antoni. He seems nice and is easy on the eyes, and I think he has a cookbook, but it doesn't translate the same helpful way that it does with the others. The dog likes him, though.

(edited)
17 hours ago, buttersister said:

I was thinking about who I'd rather lose than Bobby. Jonathan, while a lot, and I hope this all makes him happy, does try hard to improve their heroes. Not so much with Antoni. He seems nice and is easy on the eyes, and I think he has a cookbook, but it doesn't translate the same helpful way that it does with the others. The dog likes him, though.

I was watching old shows with my daughter who missed a lot traveling years ago. Antoni cooked a lot more in the early shows, it was shortened more and more as time went on.Sometimes it was simple, sometimes a little too hard I thought but he had a larger role.

From some "behind the scenes" messages online, it seems editing has been worse. Not sure why. What they choose to show etc.

Alison (ex nun) on Reddit (said verified) told a lot about her experience and said very much was cut out and she worried until it was shown over a year later, what it would look like. Editing is an art, but sometimes it makes someone look a certain way or whole scenes are left out. Having 60 people in your home vs the 5 you see is something to adjust to also. Even the clothes they showed with her, (I didn't like most) weren't the only ones but although she liked them, they werent chosen. I don't like that. Did they want more risque because she was an 'ex nun" Ex doesn't mean she's some crazy, "I want to be 100% different" person. She's the same, just took a different path. I can link it if anyone is interested. I think to help her charities, she figured she would answer questions, especially about her being repressed etc (she's not, she chose Catholicism  as an adult and still goes to church) I'm looking into her work more when I have time. Very interesting and she thought they'd highlight it more, but the "dates" were picked. I felt it didn't fit at all, she wasn't anxious for a date but that sells I guess for an episode. If they keep doing that, they'll lose what made them special.

Edited by debraran
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I was watching old shows with my daughter who missed a lot traveling years ago. Antoni cooked a lot more in the early shows, it was shortened more and more as time went on.Sometimes it was simple, sometimes a little too hard I thought but he had a larger role.

From some "behind the scenes" messages online, it seems editing has been worse. Not sure why. What they choose to show etc.

Alison (ex nun) on Reddit (said verified) told a lot about her experience and said very much was cut out and she worried until it was shown over a year later, what it would look like. Editing is an art, but sometimes it makes someone look a certain way or whole scenes are left out. Having 60 people in your home vs the 5 you see is something to adjust to also. Even the clothes they showed with her, (I didn't like most) weren't the only ones but although she liked them, they werent chosen. I don't like that. Did they want more risque because she was an 'ex nun" Ex doesn't mean she's some crazy, "I want to be 100% different" person. She's the same, just took a different path. I can link it if anyone is interested. I think to help her charities, she figured she would answer questions, especially about her being repressed etc (she's not, she chose Catholicism  as an adult and still goes to church) I'm looking into her work more when I have time. Very interesting and she thought they'd highlight it more, but the "dates" were picked. I felt it didn't fit at all, she wasn't anxious for a date but that sells I guess for an episode. If they keep doing that, they'll lose what made them special.

Not surprising that the show is more interested in their perceived narrative than actually helping people.

• Like 1

This shortened season just seems off to me. The subjects, while having good stories, for the most part don't seem very excited to be there. Then again, aside from Jonathan, I don't think the hosts are excited to be there. They all just seem to be going through the motions now.

On a shallow note, Denton was bringing the Pedro Pascal-ness. He was super cute and did seem like a genuinely nice guy. His exchange with Jonathan about his name was so sweet.

• Like 1

Finished the last ep last night. Anh seemed really nice, and fortunately didn't need Antoni's help. Getting the Beyond Meat packaging in every shot seemed to be his job for the cooking segments.

• Like 2
On 1/26/2024 at 12:32 AM, buttersister said:

All the guys did a good job, but Bobby! Home run. I’m sorry this season is his last because he understood the assignment.

DIdn't even know he was leaving until I read your post. Over to the media thread!

On 1/28/2024 at 3:52 PM, Hanya2 said:

I didn't like her hair. I'm sure it was an enormous weight off her shoulders, literally, but it just looked kind of messy and more trouble than she wanted to put into it. 

I think my favorite this season was the coach at the school for the deaf. That kid screaming at the new locker room really cracked me up. The coach had such supportive parents. I was kind of surprised we saw next to nothing of his wife though. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

DIdn't even know he was leaving until I read your post. Over to the media thread!

I didn't like her hair. I'm sure it was an enormous weight off her shoulders, literally, but it just looked kind of messy and more trouble than she wanted to put into it. 

I think my favorite this season was the coach at the school for the deaf. That kid screaming at the new locker room really cracked me up. The coach had such supportive parents. I was kind of surprised we saw next to nothing of his wife though. 

Maybe she didn't want to be on camera much. I get it. Not everyone wants the experience and it was for him. Other heros didn't show much of family either.

I didn't think she liked the hair at all from her expression, seemed forced even if more than one take so to speak. I get the rest the hair needs, my daughter got braids for a long international trip, less work and I wondered if she could have gotten less braids, french braid, something inbetween. She did change it back. At her age, she likes what she likes. ; )

Edited by debraran

I saw Doreen in the last shot of (I think) the former nun’s end dance. She was playing the clarinet. Wearing braids. And while we don’t know the shooting order, not shocked.

Former sister gave me label envy.😂