Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: We Find Out the Truth, Sort Of

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, kay1864 said:

How did the match in the sundae glass summon Poseidon?

You burn/sacrifice food or things to summon the gods. Actually, it says a lot that Poseidon showed up right away for burning something as minuscule as leftover ice cream just because it was Sally calling.

• Like 2

I'm always here for Toby Stevens. I thought the scene with Poseidon and Sally was good. I don't think we got that perspective at any point in the books.

23 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I really like the flashbacks to young Percy and his mother.

They were really good. Young Percy is impressive. 

I liked this episode a lot. It felt the most like I felt when reading. I don't know if that makes sense. 

As always, enjoying the casting of the Gods, Jay Duplass was solid as Hades and I'm delighted to see Ares back. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I just gotta ask....am I the only one as a dog and cat owner who felt sorry for poor Cerebrus? That was probably the only real affection and play time the dog has had in centuries. Yes I'm fully aware it's just a special effect but a very well done one.

Edited by madhacker
wasnt done yet
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 1/24/2024 at 5:37 PM, madhacker said:

I just gotta ask....am I the only one as a dog and cat owner who felt sorry for poor Cerebrus? That was probably the only real affection and play time the dog has had in centuries. Yes I'm fully aware it's just a special effect but a very well done one.

My head canon is that Persephone visits Cerberus daily to play and give him scritches which is why he responded immediately to affection and play.  It's like police dogs where I live, when they get the cue they are no longer on duty, they're just sweet babies who want the ball.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 1

Anyone else feel like yelling "The dog has a name!!" at the screen repeatedly?

I think that was the only complaint I had about this episode.  The scene with Sally and Poseidon at the end was heartbreaking and beautiful.  Had to go back and rewatch parts of it because it was just so good. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Welp, I finished it feeling very ambivalent as always with this show.

It's well-produced and beautifully rendered, I just dislike the writing, plot, and worldbuilding. They all feel lightweight and shallow.

And the final conversation between Percy and Hades I just felt was cringeworthy while they traded back and forth about which magical/mythical items they were actually concerned with, and who was double-crossing who, and at a certain point I just rolled my eyes and checked out. 

Why should I care about any of those items? The only one I did care about was the marble representing Percy's mother's exit from the Underworld. The whole "Forget the rod and the shield and the whatever and just give Hades the hat" thing was ridiculous, and took up huge minutes of time. None of it mattered.

I realize I'm probably being too tough on the show, I was just shocked at how bad it was. I love plenty of kids' shows and fantasy kids' shows (I would include Doctor Who in that mix), but this I just could not connect with at all. It was so superficial and bloated.

And nobody actually evolved in any deep way, including Percy. Everyone was the person they started out as being. 

It's just not for me. I won't be back.

Edited by paramitch
exist is not exit

I just got caught up. I wonder why Annabeth got stuck in that Asphodel forest. She had some kind of regret rooting her there? Is that going to be revealed in the finale? At least the magic pearl got her out.

I wonder what she's going to think about the stuff Percy's going to tell her about Kronos. Or maybe Grover will tell her, since it seems that Percy's going to battle Ares.

I have not read the books, and I'm not knowledgeable about the gods and the myths.  Now did Hades imply that his hat that made people invisible was the cap that Annabeth had? So did she steal the lightning bolt? Was that her regret that was rooting her in that forest? Maybe I am reading that wrong? I don't know? 

17 hours ago, Cress said:

I just got caught up. I wonder why Annabeth got stuck in that Asphodel forest. She had some kind of regret rooting her there? Is that going to be revealed in the finale? At least the magic pearl got her out.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the girl who got turned into a tree that she mentioned in earlier episodes (I am bad with names so I don't remember that girl's name)

I love that Percy hit Hades with this whole big "I know what your up to" summation speech and clearly had this all planned out in his head and Hades was just like "...huh" in confusion. Hades was way too obvious a suspect, of course he isn't the real bad guy. I continue to really like the casting and these takes of the gods, Jay Duplass is a great Hades and I am glad that they seem to be going with a more chill version of Hades instead of going with the standard "make Hades the bad guy" that a lot of modern works do. 

Cerberus looked really good, he's just a good boy who wants some scratches and to play with the ball. 

What was up with Annabeth getting stuck in the forest of regret? Something to do with her family who she was just talking about? 

Toby Stevens is a great casting choice for Poseidon, it might be because of his previous roles but the guy just screams sea salt to me. The scene between him and Sally was really good, i liked the flashbacks a lot.