Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Visiting Your Town, Where Should I Eat?

mansonlamps
  • Start Topic

On 9/25/2017 at 2:27 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Sorry I missed this back in June.  We've been there 3 times (the last time was a day excursion from our cruise ship and we made a beeline for Testa's for lobster rolls).  We like Testa's - it's not gourmet but their food is very good.  There's also a small cafe - I think it's the West Street Cafe (good food & I like their blueberry pie).  Bar Harbor is such a cute town and if you stay at one of the B&B's along Mt Desert Street, it's so walk-able.  We stayed both times at the Mira Mount--great breakfasts!

No worries at all!  You're right-such a walkable (and enjoyable!) town!  We fell in love with the 2 Cats Cafe and ended up going there twice for breakfast.  Their biscuits with strawberry butter were TO.DIE.FOR.  They used their biscuit dough to also make these cinnamon-y muffin shaped pastries they called Catspaws.  Delicious.  Their food, overall, was really fantastic.   We also did Jordan's for breakfast one morning, and thought it was solid, but nothing special.  

We weren't at a town B&B, but not far from town,near Hadley's Point.  We tried the cafe right there, the Sweet Pea Cafe, with fire grilled pizza, and that was also really really good.

I think you mean Side Street Cafe?  I had their lobster roll and it was great!  We didn't try the pie there, although we tried blueberry everything pretty much everywhere else!  

It was a great little foodie town!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I think you mean Side Street Cafe?  I had their lobster roll and it was great!  We didn't try the pie there, although we tried blueberry everything pretty much everywhere else!  

It was a great little foodie town!

I looked it up and it's West Street Cafe. (I've never been to Side Street Cafe).   At our B&B they always had a bowl of those fabulous little wild blueberries that are so delicious (much better than the big ol' blueberries we get outside of Maine!)  Now I'm in the mood for lobstaahh salad and blueberry crisp (can't make pies).

I just came back from Key West and would like to recommend 2 places. Both are on Duvall St. The first is Bagatelle. They do a really good small breakfast (bar menu). I had their Eggs Benedict which was just a single (1 egg portion) which was just enough for me. They also made a great Mango Mimosa. Any of the things I just mentioned only cost $5! My traveling companion would want to add that their octopus was wonderful. Not chewy or rubbery. That was our go to place to eat. 

The second is Antonio’s. It was an Italian place but they make their own pasta. It’s a bit pricey ($20-30 per entree) but worth every penny. I wanted something plain the second time we went and the chef was more than happy to make it for me. It has a weird ambiance (not your usual Italian) but the food and service was impeccable. I even spilled a wee drop of sauce on my dress the first night and my waitress, Elizabeth, came right out with a Tide to go stick and some heated seltzer which completely made it clean again. Don’t forget to try their Tiramisu. Best I’ve ever had out. Not too sweet. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had their Eggs Benedict which was just a single (1 egg portion) which was just enough for me.

This is the perfect portion size for me, luckily the dinner around the corner who makes amazing eggs benedict will just make me one. Its so rich I dont know how peopke eat two!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just came back from Key West and would like to recommend 2 places. Both are on Duvall St. The first is Bagatelle. They do a really good small breakfast (bar menu). I had their Eggs Benedict which was just a single (1 egg portion) which was just enough for me. They also made a great Mango Mimosa. Any of the things I just mentioned only cost $5! My traveling companion would want to add that their octopus was wonderful. Not chewy or rubbery. That was our go to place to eat. 

The second is Antonio’s. It was an Italian place but they make their own pasta. It’s a bit pricey ($20-30 per entree) but worth every penny. I wanted something plain the second time we went and the chef was more than happy to make it for me. It has a weird ambiance (not your usual Italian) but the food and service was impeccable. I even spilled a wee drop of sauce on my dress the first night and my waitress, Elizabeth, came right out with a Tide to go stick and some heated seltzer which completely made it clean again. Don’t forget to try their Tiramisu. Best I’ve ever had out. Not too sweet. 

Thanks for the recommendations. Key West is on my bucket list, but between visiting grandkids in St. Petersburg, FL and New Orleans twice a year, and taking the QM2 to Europe again this May, I don't see it happening this year. However, we have friends who are headed there after going to the Miami Boat Show, so I passed your recommendations along to them.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks for the recommendations. Key West is on my bucket list, but between visiting grandkids in St. Petersburg, FL and New Orleans twice a year, and taking the QM2 to Europe again this May, I don't see it happening this year. However, we have friends who are headed there after going to the Miami Boat Show, so I passed your recommendations along to them.

Have you ever tried The Red Fish Grill in New Orleans? Awesome food. 

7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Have you ever tried The Red Fish Grill in New Orleans? Awesome food. 

Unfortunately, our trips to NOLA are grandkid centric, so there is usually not much time for exploring. Last year we went down early for a friend's wedding, and had dinner at NOLA on New Years Eve - that was awesome. I'll keep it in mind if we have some free time. With 7 kids and 4 adults, there are only so many places that can handle a crowd. Sometimes we just order out. They live Uptown near Tulane.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, biakbiak said:

This is the perfect portion size for me, luckily the dinner around the corner who makes amazing eggs benedict will just make me one. Its so rich I dont know how peopke eat two!

It's a tough job, but somehow I always manage to eat them both;)

• Love 3

I was just in Charlotte and ate some really good Italian food. The restaurant was named Toscana and it’s across the street from the South Park mall in the specialty shops. It got very busy so I suggest that you make a reservation. They also do lunches. Closed on Sundays. 

11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Heading to Austin today.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome them.  Thanks!

Oasis on Lake Travis (good food and an incredible view of the sunset) and Franklin BBQ!  Aaron Franklin is a James Beard winner and the restaurant is open for lunch 6 days a week. But go early because they close when they sell out. My mouth is watering now. 

http://oasis-austin.com/

https://franklinbbq.com/

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

Austin has a great food truck scene, you should perhaps google it and see what concepts you might fancy and where they'll be when you're there.  I think they also have a few spots where there will be multiple food trucks on certain days, so that's always worth checking out so you can sample from multiple trucks!

• Love 1