Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Visiting Your Town, Where Should I Eat?

mansonlamps
  • Start Topic

Just want to pass along a tip.  We were in NYC on Sunday and someone recommended Mario Batali's Eataly.  Wow!  What a place.  We sat at a counter & enjoyed watching the staff prep meals including our own which was the freshest most delicious salad on the planet (complete with sugar snap beans and razor thin slices of Easter egg radishes) and fritto misto (but they didn't make aioli to dip the fritto misto in, unfortunately--they need me workin' there!)  All of this amongst a huuuuge market.  If I lived in Manhattan I'd be in there all the time.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

I haven't been in 10 years, chessiegal, but I am going back in the fall, and will seek out Trattoria Za Za near the the San Lorenzo Market, one of my favourite meals from my entire trip to Italy.   

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, chessiegal said:

Any recommendations for Florence, Italy?

I would also post that request on Chowhound.  There are lots of traveling foodies there.

• Love 3
On 5/17/2017 at 6:44 AM, chessiegal said:

Any recommendations for Florence, Italy?

Better knows for its hot chocolate (so thick you feel your spoon would stand in the cup) and pastries, Cafe Rivoire, Piazza della Signoria, is a delightful place, dating from the late 19th century, and despite the touristy location it's still mostly frequented by elegant locals. A bit pricey but worth it for the experience. 

This has more info and it and other historic cafes:

http://www.thatsflorence.com/visiting/historic-cafes/

• Love 1
On 3/20/2016 at 7:47 PM, chessiegal said:

Thanks, we're going to be there early June, so I'll keep an eye out. I've been keeping a log from various travel shows. We're also going to be in Normandy and Provence.

Hope that I'm not too late to put my 2 cents in. I like (Opera arrondissement) Capucine on 39 Boulevard des Capucine. Be careful as there is another place with a similar name not too far away (more $$) that a cab will take you to...both are good but I like easy and casual during the day.  Not the fanciest but the food is good and the location isn't far from Tuileries or the big shopping areas on Haussmann. LOL, the top of Printemps has a great view that you can see for free (it might be the Gallarie Lafayette) 

Jaden is precisely the person Leah Remini was talking about when she said Scientology makes children narcissists. 

Is he vegan? Then how did he plan to eat pancakes that were no doubt made with eggs and butter?

• Love 4
On 2017-05-31 at 5:51 PM, Quof said:

Jaden is precisely the person Leah Remini was talking about when she said Scientology makes children narcissists. 

Is he vegan? Then how did he plan to eat pancakes that were no doubt made with eggs and butter?

Because he is an idiot (likely due to Scientology).

• Love 1

I'm going on a little holiday to Mystic, Ct later this month. We usually go to Abbott's & Costellos  in CT & Matunuck Oyster in RI.  I'd love some suggestions for addition places to eat at.

Mystic Pizza of course.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:41 PM, ariel said:

I'm going on a little holiday to Mystic, Ct later this month. We usually go to Abbott's & Costellos  in CT & Matunuck Oyster in RI.  I'd love some suggestions for addition places to eat at.

(edited)

Osteria Mozza. Eat all the courses and wine for each but just be prepared for the bill. Everything the three of us had was utterly delicious though I was underwhelmed by their linguini and clams. I've had better and their bread surprisingly was unimpressive for Nancy Silverton.

Another restaurant is Union in Pasadena. Went there for my birthday. Delicious from beginning to end. Bruce Kalman makes everything from scratch.

Philippe's for a french dip. They created it. My usual is a lamb sandwich double dipped, bleu cheese on the side, side of coleslaw and if it's seasonally available a baked apple. Buy a jar of their mustard to take home.

Manuel's or as everybody else calls it "El Tepeyac" on Evergreen in Boyle Heights . I've been going here since I was a very young kidlet. Order the Hollenbeck burrito and guacamole and chips. If there is a line, and there usually is, stand in it. 

Katella Deli in Los Alamitos. Order a Time Square, matzo ball soup with noodles, extra side of coleslaw. Don't leave without going to the bakery and taking home honey soaked bran muffins, apricot rugula, bread and bagles.

EL Rocoto in Gardena. Everything is good.

Koi or Nobu for sushi.

888, Seafood Harbor, or Empress Harbor for dimsum.

Dukes on PCH for coconut shrimp. It is all ever order.

Marmalade cafe for breakfast.

In-n-Out, any location. My order... double meat no cheese grilled onions extra toasted. I don't care for the fries.

Tommy's on Beverly at Rampart. Ah, the memories of this place when I was a kidlet. Known for their chili burgers as I kid I ordered their tamales.

Tamales! Ramirez Meat Market in Baldwin Park. Red pork and their chili cheese are wonderful. 

Taco Nazo for fish tacos.

Also, though it might seem odd, if a man or a woman comes by rolling a shopping cart down the street shouting "Elote caliente!" fish out a dollar hand it over and receive a delicious ear of corn dressed anyway you like it. I suggest mayo, chili powder, Tajine or lemon, and salt. Risk it and be rewarded.

I could list sooo many more.

Edited by Giselle
On 6/12/2017 at 10:08 PM, EllieH said:

Any recommendations for Sydney, Australia?  We'll be there in July!

Hotel Steyne in Manly Beach has several great drinking options (the cider bar has millions of ciders, and Australia does NOT make a bad one), and beautiful views overlooking the beach.  Although Bondi is the more dazzling of the two beaches in terms of natural beauty, I like Manly's quieter vibe.

I really wasn't that impressed with the food except for their meat pies and their breakfasts.  They have some amazing coffee shops that will do a breakfast sandwich or toast from beautiful artisan loaves with Marmite/Vegemite (which I recommend trying at least once!  It's...interesting.)  Their coffee is absolutely wonderful and they take it seriously.  Harry's Pies for pies.  It's Bourdain approved.  I believe there is also a chain called Pie Face or something like that, and those were pretty good as well.

Prices are salty down by Circular Quay (pronounced "key"), but the views of the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge are worth the price.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/6/2017 at 10:41 PM, ariel said:

If you like fried clams don't hesitate to go to the Sea Swirl.  It's a little outdoor roadside place that looks like it was once an old ice cream stand.  I have been going there for over 25 years.  The clams and fried fish are the best in the area in my family's opinion.  They use only Ipswich clams which are supposed to be better, plus there's something about the batter that's lighter and crispier than a lot of them.  They also have hamburgers and hot dogs and a zillion ice cream flavors.  I also love the cole slaw and onion rings.

I agree with you about Mystic Pizza - a big hype.

We love the lobster at Abbott's, BTW!

Edited by Snarklepuss

Now I have a question - We're going to Portland, ME in August.  Can anyone give us some restaurant recommendations in that area or on the way up there from CT?  Of course for lobster, but we're open to anything.

I can't believe I live in New England and have been everywhere except Maine!

(edited)
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Now I have a question - We're going to Portland, ME in August.  Can anyone give us some restaurant recommendations in that area or on the way up there from CT?  Of course for lobster, but we're open to anything.

Fore Street is excellent for a splurge (it's my favorite in Portland), The Holy Donut for, well, donuts, Duckfat for a casual lunch, Hot Suppa for breakfast ( I bet it would be awesome for dinner too). If your willing to drive a bit outside Portland, the 5 Islands Lobster Company in Georgetown is great for a on-the-docks experience (also, Reid State Park is near by, which has a nice beach to walk on). Here's a Portland Food/Restaurant Blog that does reviews (and seems to be well-regarded).

Edited by MargeGunderson
18 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I live in Portland as well; feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

For the best list of Portland eateries (and drinkeries), I'll recommend the excellent Portland Food Map.  Not just a blog, it has an extensive list in both straight text and Mind Map form, with links to reviews. Not super mobile-friendly yet, unfortunately.

For lobster around Portland,  my favorite recommendation is The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. An easy trip after the mandatory trip to Portland Head Light (just do it; not doing it is like going to NYC and not laying eyes on the Empire State Building, and visiting the park is free), it's eating on the rocks between the ocean and a lighthouse that was featured in a dozen Edward Hopper paintings (not wheelchair accessible if that's a concern).

• Love 3

I will second (or third or fourth, as the case may be) Holy Donut.  I'm not lucky enough to live in Portland, but we make a couple of runs a year up there. It's a great food city.  In addition to everything that's already been mentioned in Portland, we had a great meal at Pai Men Miyake.

We're in Rome and having a devil of a time finding packaged ice cubes. No problem in London, Paris, and Florence. Last night I resorted to the hotel bar and despite leaving a tip got a snotty look from the bar tender for (2) 3/4 glasses of ice, barely enough for 2 vodka and tonics (stopped buying gin in France and Italy as what they sell is rot gut, so we've switched to Absolut vodka). We have a full blown supermarket to look at today, but from what I've read on line it appears I'm stuck with the snooty bar tender.

TIA.

If we ever spend 6 nights in Europe again I think we will see about an apartment with a refrigerator/freezer so we can make our own ice cubes.

14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

we ever spend 6 nights in Europe again I think we will see about an apartment with a refrigerator/freezer so we can make our own ice cubes.

I always enjoy that because I like to cook a meal or two at home with the great local products but if you do that for ice cubes you might want to pack an ice cube tray as they aren't always supplied.

• Love 2

I remember asking at our hotel in Rome for ice. The desk clerk rolled his eyes and said "You Americans."  I said "We're Canadians, thanks." They eventually found us ice cube trays for our mini fridge. And I will never forget the Italian word for ice - ghiaccio.    Europeans like their beverages tepid. Yuck. For my upcoming trip, I'm only booking hotels with mini fridges in the room. 

• Love 1

I am American and I like most of my beverages without ice unless it's a cocktail, I find that the drinks in other places are usually chilled enough to drink without ice. Of course I don't drink soda and hate ice water. 

• Love 2

We kind of hit the jackpot this morning. Found a large Conad grocery store near the train station that sells Tanqueray gin and the little bottles of Prosecco that I became so fond of in Florence. Unfortunately, no ice. A gin/vodka and tonic without ice is unacceptable. I put vodka and tonic in the fridge so the little ice we do get should last longer.

We have a mini fridge but it doesn't have a freezer compartment. There is a McDonald's across the street from our hotel, might just check it out.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am American and I like most of my beverages without ice unless it's a cocktail, I find that the drinks in other places are usually chilled enough to drink without ice. Of course I don't drink soda and hate ice water. 

Same here. I pretty much drink everything room temp. I've also learned that it some countries that the ice (made from the local water...especially true in rural areas in less developed countries) can cause gastro intestinal distress. 

@chessiegal for when I do like ice they make these plastic cubes (similar to the freezer packs used in coolers but smaller more colorful and sometimes in neat shapes like fish or flowers)  that refreeze and can travel with you from spot to spot. It eliminates the risks of contamination and need for freezer trays. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, when I'm in Europe, I am usually drinking 1 of 3 things-bottled water, wine/beer, or Fanta, so the ice factor isn't as important to me.  I usually just drink Fanta.  I walk enough to burn the calories, and Euro Fanta is the greatest soda ever.

Edited by larapu2000

The reusable freezer ice things would be of no use because I only have access to a fridge, not a freezer. The ice we bought in Florence came packaged in a 2 pound bag. I've never had problems with packaged ice or hotel ice, but I'm talking about London, France, and now Italy, except in Rome where I can't find packaged ice. So last night it was begging for ice from the bar. Gin and tonics are what we use it for - drinking them without ice is totally unacceptable. I don't care about water or sodas as long as they are cold. But the evening cocktail requires ice - period.

I like my cocktails with ice, too, but when I'm in countries where they don't serve their drinks with ice, I just drink things I like neat instead (it's easy, because it's not the liquor I dislike at room temp, it's the mixer, so I just get rid of the mixer).  When I get home from a European trip, I'm always happy to have ice and wash cloths again, but I don't hunt them down while I'm gone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I like my cocktails with ice, too, but when I'm in countries where they don't serve their drinks with ice, I just drink things I like neat instead (it's easy, because it's not the liquor I dislike at room temp, it's the mixer, so I just get rid of the mixer).  When I get home from a European trip, I'm always happy to have ice and wash cloths again, but I don't hunt them down while I'm gone.

I hear you, @Bastet. Other than wine, the only spirit I drink is gin, preferably with tonic. I have very limited experience traveling in Europe, so don't have much data to go on. This trip is our first to Italy, and we could get ice at the store near our hotel in Florence. I incorrectly assumed that's how it is in Italy. I don't know if Florence is different since I noticed there were tons of Americans there, while Rome is bigger. Whatever, I was surprised. Thanks to everyone who offered guidance for my over the top first world problem (as I sip a G&T on ice, ice courtesy of the hotel bar.) Tipping the bartender seems to be appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Any suggestions for Chicago? Preferably walking distance from the Palmer Hotel. 

The Gage

Millers Pub (The food is fine.  It's been there since 1935 and I just like the place)

The Purple Pig

The Publican

Girl and the Goat (or Little Goat Diner - the wait is usually shorter)

Have pizza somewhere

And, only the first 2 are close to the Palmer Hotel.  But everything is worth going to.

Also, if you want to drink beer, Haymarket Pub has a great selection.  Or, go to Revolution Brewing because it's fabulous!

Oh, and how could I forget Rick Bayless!  Topolobampo or Frontera Grill!!!  Or both!!!!

Edited by ebk57
spelling is important if you need to look something up
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is the Little Goat Diner where SNL got the idea for their Greek diner skit (no Coke--Pepsi; no fries--cheeps)?

No.  That's Billy Goat Tavern (another place to go - just because of the history!)  Little Goat Diner is owned by the woman who owns Girl and the Goat.  It's a bit less expensive, and a bit easier to get into.  Although I will warn you, it's really loud in there.

Billy Goat Tavern is kinda fun.  Food's not great, but who goes there for the food anyway.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Little Goat Diner is owned by the woman who owns Girl and the Goat.

Stephanie Izard, my favorite Top Chef winner.  I haven't been to the diner (I don't think it was even open yet when I was in Chicago), but I loved my meal at Girl and the Goat.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Stephanie Izard, my favorite Top Chef winner.  I haven't been to the diner (I don't think it was even open yet when I was in Chicago), but I loved my meal at Girl and the Goat.

As of May this year, Stephanie's also the newest Iron Chef. Food Network is bringing that show back later this year or early next, & she'll be among the Iron Chefs competing.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:07 PM, larapu2000 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice dinner spot in Bar Harbor, Maine?  Would love breakfast suggestions,  too!  (And any other recommendations for the area!)

Sorry I missed this back in June.  We've been there 3 times (the last time was a day excursion from our cruise ship and we made a beeline for Testa's for lobster rolls).  We like Testa's - it's not gourmet but their food is very good.  There's also a small cafe - I think it's the West Street Cafe (good food & I like their blueberry pie).  Bar Harbor is such a cute town and if you stay at one of the B&B's along Mt Desert Street, it's so walk-able.  We stayed both times at the Mira Mount--great breakfasts!

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

I apologize, I never thanked people for their suggestions for Portland, Maine.  We went to the Holy Donut, Becky's Diner and DiMillo's, and liked all of them.  We noticed what other travelers have mentioned and that's that Mainers like their lobster minimally seasoned, while we in Connecticut and NY like ours with some extra flavor.  I also finally experienced first hand that there's no difference between the lobster I eat in Connecticut and Maine lobster.  It's the same breed plus a lot of the lobster we get here actually comes from Maine.  Of the places we visited, DiMillo's lobster had the most flavor. We went there because so many of our friends recommended it.  And it didn't disappoint.  We only spent two nights in Portland.  The rest of the trip involved Vermont and New Hampshire.  We had a wonderful time.  Thanks to those who responded.

• Love 2