Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: Food Safety

• Start Topic

Main topic:  Food Safety

Also:  Israel and Gaza - sorrow, fear, and anger; finding a new Speaker of the House; physical fighting among the GOP; Jim Cramer is totally unphased by his haters; check out the sexual tension between Fox Business's Liz Claman and Charlie Gasparino

Original air date 2023.10.15

• Like 1

"You fingered or you figured?" OMFG...XD.

Good opening words from John there, regarding the current horrors with Israel and Gaza and such. Also, this show may have put me off of salads completely now, so thanks for that :/.

As for all the stuff with the GOP, honestly, if they want to remain a minority, frankly, that's fine by me. Can they become and stay enough of one, then, to where their pathetic antics have no significant impact of any sort on the rest of the country and they just make themselves look stupid instead, so that the rest of the actual adults can actually get real shit done? 

Seriously, it'd be so nice if we could just throw these immature brats out without having to wait for an election to do it. I wouldn't get away with this kind of insanity at my job, they shouldn't be able to get away with it here. If they're not here to do the work, if they're here to just cause chaos and make it difficult, if not outright impossible, to get anything done, then they should lose their jobs over it and never be allowed back. 

At the very least, if I were the Democrats, I'd be running on this hard in the upcoming elections. 

• Like 9

Long time hater of Jim Cramer, thanks to just seeing his clips on LWT. But Fox Business has crazies, too? I threw up in my mouth a little, watching the “sexual tension.” 

Speaking of throwing up (or worse)… as a vegetarian, I’m very salty about E. coli moving from the meat world to vegetables. Not planning to bring a blowtorch with me to Chipotle, thanks! 😡

• Like 5

I had to have a salad hours before watching this. Poor timing on my part.

John continues to be John . . . he used a cold open to talk about the atrocities in Israel, went over the usual fuckery from Republicans, and then spent the rest of his time talking about how food in general is scarcely  regulated, up to and including vegetables getting sprayed in water mixed with animal crap. All of this was alarming . . . .as was John using a blowtorch to try and sanitize lettuce. The fact that he had a blowtorch is scary enough.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

I'm not sure I want to know about the food safety. It's bad enough that it seems like every week stuff is being recalled. Especially produce. For a while my dad would joke he was scared to buy lettuce from the grocery store because it all seemed to be recalled every week. Produce is suppose to be eating healthy not terrifying. But learning how long it's taking them to act is terrifying. This is food. The thing we really can't live without. I always wondered if the place that got the baby forumla recalled was ever actually fixed since there was such a shortage they had to reopen it. Did the company ever actually get fixed? I hope so but who knows.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

All of this was alarming . . . .as was John using a blowtorch to try and sanitize lettuce. The fact that he had a blowtorch is scary enough.

You should have seen him with a tee shirt gun on The Late Show! 

• LOL 9
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always wondered if the place that got the baby forumla recalled was ever actually fixed since there was such a shortage they had to reopen it. Did the company ever actually get fixed? 

I thought so, but I guess I need to do some research to be sure.

I know there are horrific things happening in the Middle East, but I have not sought out any images or videos. 

I love how the audience immediately laughed when the video of George Santos popped up, but I was somewhat disappointed that John didn't bring up the bit about Santos carrying a 2-month-old baby around. Someone asked him if it was his. Santos replied, "Not yet." WHAT!?!?

And Nancy Mace, geez. What to say. One thing is it's utterly transparent when these congresspeople plan on doing something for attention. 

I'm sooooo tired of Jim Cramer. That segment on him went on way too long. Oh! I guess I'm a hater, too!

I had no idea about the different responsibilities that the FDA and the USDA have. Crazy. And I wonder if the FDA will ever be reformed so that the FOOD part gets more funding and support.

We recently had planter boxes built in our backyard, and I'm thinking I want to try to grow lettuce. We eat a lot of salads. BTW, you can buy produce cleaners. Does anyone know if they're effective against e-coli? I'm guessing not.

• Like 4

Is Jim Kramer that big that he has haters? I never see him unless it's on this show. 

The FDA commish looked *harried*. 

I loved how the audience gave a huge whoo when the Fox lady did the hair and bit her finger move, and then lost it when she actually said 'fingered'. 

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And Nancy Mace, geez. What to say. One thing is it's utterly transparent when these congresspeople plan on doing something for attention. 

I don't mind it that much, but go over your spiel with the staff first. She said a few statements then just kept going and going because she couldn't stick the landing. You cross a line in general where you're running into a rant and then you just sound unhinged and undermine your whole reason for doing whatever you're doing. 

The lack of personnel at the FDA reminds me of the OSHA episode where they had 8 inspectors for the entire western US or something like that. 

I think one thing John missed is that USDA is a cabinet level department, but FDA is *within* HHS. So maybe FDA needs to move into USDA and take advantage of their resources. Or move the food part of the agency to USDA and maybe make it an undersecretary position. Really, it's the lack of visibility that probably is hurting them. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't mind it that much, but go over your spiel with the staff first. She said a few statements then just kept going and going because she couldn't stick the landing. You cross a line in general where you're running into a rant and then you just sound unhinged and undermine your whole reason for doing whatever you're doing. 

My favorite part of her rant was when she was going on about how upsetting it was for her, as a woman, to have her opinions disrespected and to feel like her voice wasn't being supported or valued. I was just sitting here like, "...are you new to working for this party, or...?" It's like when Caitlyn Jenner was shocked at the anti-transgender legislation her party was proposing. 

I loved John's Christian Grey comparison in response to her Scarlet Letter thing XD. 

I think one thing John missed is that USDA is a cabinet level department, but FDA is *within* HHS. So maybe FDA needs to move into USDA and take advantage of their resources. Or move the food part of the agency to USDA and maybe make it an undersecretary position. Really, it's the lack of visibility that probably is hurting them. 

That's an interesting point, yeah. It is wild just how minute that divide can be between which department handles and oversees certain things. Gotta love bureaucracy, huh :p? 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My favorite part of her rant was when she was going on about how upsetting it was for her, as a woman, to have her opinions disrespected and to feel like her voice wasn't being supported or valued. I was just sitting here like, "...are you new to working for this party, or...?"

I didn't think she was talking about the Repubs, but maybe she was. I thought she was making a general statement about being mocked or ignored in general (or in the media) because she was a woman, and I thought she was saying that to explain the purpose of the letter A.

• Useful 2

Oof that was a lot to digest.  I expected the whole episode to be about Israel/Palestine but I understood why it wasn't because, what can you say especially when it changes every day.

14 hours ago, Annber03 said:
  14 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Whuh-huh she just figured out that women's opinions are not taken as seriously as men's!  Shocking.

And as for food safety I am not surprised at all at the FDAs lackadaisical attitude toward food.  After their repeated failures to remove harmful opioids from the market and approve new ones even when no medical benefits were shown the FDA is a shell of what it should be.

• Like 3

I don't know who she was railing against. "Stuff costs more than it used to! Young people use curse words!"

At first I thought she was defending the lady that was getting busy at the play. "Do we not all have wrists?!"

Not to mention the whole concept of the scarlet letter wasn't exactly pro-feminism. 

• Like 4