Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: #Thinkbrink

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

33fe679f42b78c53d99a5d4b542fc7be3a7dd9f3

You’re invited to the #ThinkBrink Memorial Gala and Fundraiser tonight at Godolkin University! Make sure to dress your best when the doors open at 7PM and you hit the red carpet! Then join the world’s hottest superheroes and celebrities for selfies and complimentary champagne, and enjoy a touching tribute video to the legendary Professor Brinkerhoff, featuring A-Train, The Deep, and Polarity!

Premiere Date: September 29, 2023      Prime Video       

9thBo1DNPws0hUZjbL5JTXXgUCY.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know, the timelines seem off to me. How long has Golden Boy and Cate been dating? It seems like it was longer than 3-4 years. How long do you usually stay in the university and why would you go for so long, unless that is the only way to get on a superhero team.

Why would that guy who could put people's arms back on even want to be a superhero, he could make more money working in a hospital. I wonder why he didn't help the guy on crutches or the superhero in the wheelchair?

They seem to kill quite a lot of people without anybody noticing. I think I saw a picture of that janitor the guards killed on a missing persons flyer on the campus lamppost.

I really thought Golden Boy and Brinkerhoff would have had a bigger role in the show. It seems more like stunt casting considering how prominently they were used to promote the show.

• Like 2

Kate and Golden probably knew each other before going to university. They seem to have events for them as kids. Starlight had that church thing.

Vought's PR team always has a spin for everything. Explaining their employees disappearances is another Tuesday for them. 

You'd think they'd give their security guards low dosages of V so they can at least attempt to fight off the supes. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know, the timelines seem off to me. How long has Golden Boy and Cate been dating? It seems like it was longer than 3-4 years. How long do you usually stay in the university and why would you go for so long, unless that is the only way to get on a superhero team.

Why would that guy who could put people's arms back on even want to be a superhero, he could make more money working in a hospital. I wonder why he didn't help the guy on crutches or the superhero in the wheelchair?

They seem to kill quite a lot of people without anybody noticing. I think I saw a picture of that janitor the guards killed on a missing persons flyer on the campus lamppost.

I really thought Golden Boy and Brinkerhoff would have had a bigger role in the show. It seems more like stunt casting considering how prominently they were used to promote the show.

It's possible that Golden Boy and Cate knew each other in high school or junior high. But in any case, if GB and Cate are the equivalent of college seniors, them having known each other for three or four years doesn't seem that hard to swallow.

Just like the Seven are a riff on the Justice League, Gen V is a riff on the X-Men. So people stay at God U probably stay there however long they stay there to be groomed to either be a social media figure/actor or a crime fighter or in the rarest of cases, both.

The guy seemingly had a power to reattach his own arms, so he doesn't have a power to heal people generally.

I mean, so far we have had GB and Brink in every episode. 

• Like 3

Ah Marie's powers reminded me of an anime I had seen a few years ago where the main character could manipulate her blood and she makes it into a sword to fight with. But I definitely think this is more inspired from the blood bending from ATLA since she can control other's blood as well.

Also I know the "turning small" power isn't new but I do remember reading a manga where the girl turns small when she gets too hungry and is able to get back to normal size when she eats something (She keeps a candy in her pocket at all times in case she accidently shrinks).

Not exactly the same I know but it reminded me of these when I was watching the episodes..

• Like 2
On 10/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

I thought for sure that when Emma was going through the guard's brain, she would swallow some and get big right there in the cell.

Can she regain her height if she eats more?  It sounded like she can't stop herself from getting shorter.

Yes, like the Termite sneeze.  I was wondering the same thing about her powers.  She says she gets a little smaller each time she shrinks.  It seems like she has a set of doll clothes for her small size, are these getting too big if she keeps shrinking?

This reminded me of that B movie from the 50s, "The Incredible Shrinking Man".  He kept shrinking and shrinking until he accepted the fact that he was going to be subatomic.  It was depressing.

• Like 1

My take away was that every time she vomited she shrank some but not down to the tiny height. She needed 3 or 4 bouts to get tiny for the bedroom. I assume that she could keep making herself throw up to keep shrinking but if she only wanted to be say half height she could do it once and stop.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, blackwing said:

Yes, like the Termite sneeze.  I was wondering the same thing about her powers.  She says she gets a little smaller each time she shrinks.  It seems like she has a set of doll clothes for her small size, are these getting too big if she keeps shrinking?

This reminded me of that B movie from the 50s, "The Incredible Shrinking Man".  He kept shrinking and shrinking until he accepted the fact that he was going to be subatomic.  It was depressing.

Especially since it is a metaphorical story of how his manhood was being crushed by having to work day by day and maintain a parasitic family in the suburbs.  White man blues. 

• Like 1

This episode had a lot more character development than I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.

The women, thus far, and Jordan, are more interesting than the few men they have as characters.

Emma has such charm, she is definitely the most compelling character, even with a backstory that, on paper, seems fairly simple. She has an eating disorder but only because of what her parents did to her as a baby, and she's in denial about her having one and putting blame on it being her powers. It seems clear that, because she has to maintain 100% control over her eating just to keep her powers at bay, it's made her super insecure. But the actress does such an amazing job encapsulating all the emotions of Emma going through this.

Jordan's probably the next best character. Their backstory is also similarly easy to understand. Their father doesn't like the fact that Jordan prefers to be more female than male, hence why we see Jordan as female-presenting more at school. But I think both actors do a good job at showcasing Jordan's feelings of inferiority and not being good enough for anyone, no matter which gender they present as at the time (but especially when Jordan is female-presenting).

Cate's an interesting one. There's a lot more to her than meets the eye and it feels like she has way more knowledge than she appears to have, but is she a full out antagonist or more morally grey, also being used by Vought? No way powers like hers isn't controlled by Vought in some way; why would they ever let someone with mind control abilities roam free without their permission or control themselves? Also, interesting note about her brother disappearing because of her.

I wonder if she might be wanting to look for him and Vought took advantage of that aspect and is manipulating her to say "you do what we say and we can find your brother and break your demand on him." I just feel like Cate has more going on to her but, at the same time, I don't think she's full out evil. She didn't use her power on Luke to "feel better", so at least up until that backstory, she used her powers sparingly.

Marie's getting more depth to her. I appreciate that she immediately recognized how Indira is using her, as are a lot of people. I wish she was more courageous to stand up for herself, but at least she told Cate and Jordan the truth. 

In terms of Andre, he has some interesting aspects to him with a father that wants him to be as famous as he is AND his father is in the know of The Woods. That actually might be an interesting subject to explore this season. 

Sam, I'm sure, has more going for him as the season progresses but currently, I don't feel a whole lot toward him. I'm curious for more backstory, but he's not appealing as a character for me quite yet. 

Overall, such a great series thus far.

• Like 4