Type keyword(s) to search

Raid The Cage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Two teams of two compete to take prizes from the Cage before the time limit expires and the doors close. Correct answers adds seconds to the clock, allowing to claim more rewards from the Cage. The winning team keeps what they grabbed.

Premiering October 13, 2023. 

I liked this show. The first round where teams determine how long they have to spend in the cage is like pyramid with word association. I appreciated the expensive prizes in the first three rounds.

Has the benefit of originality. Some of the prizes seemed sort of wacky. Also, since there are no cash winning, I wonder how you pay the taxes on $100,000 of merchandise.

I’ve noticed that a lot of these shows tend to run a really successful episode first to suck you in. We’ll see what future ones are like.

Yet another game show that is apparently filmed outside the US. Pretty sure the credits said Mexico City.

It reminded me of a higher dollar version of Supermarket Sweep or Shop to You Drop. Fun but I feel like they could do a better job filming the raid the cage part. 

10 hours ago, Rickster said:

Also, since there are no cash winning, I wonder how you pay the taxes on $100,000 of merchandise.

The credits said contestants were awarded the cash equivalent in some cases. 

I’m not sure I really like how the teams know what the other team did in each round.  Overall it seems to give a big advantage to the team that goes last in the last round. Team blue knew they only needed about $1,000 to win.  The first team needs to get as much as they can and risk running out of time when the second team can just take a couple items and get out and win.

• Like 3

I'm liking this gameshow, so far. But I think the totals shouldn't be revealed until after the last round so neither team knows how much they may be beating, or losing to, the other team.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Im actually beginning to like this show. Especially, the trivia questions.

question, when they  bring up a dollar amount on the screen, that is the value of the prizes?i take it they  don’t get any cash?

I think cash is always an option as they have to pay tax on everything no matter what. 

• Like 1

I'm liking this show. It's a variant of the Supermarket Sweep shopping spree basically. 

And I like the "As long as something gets out the door it counts" option. The Pink team last night seemed to realize that tactic and used it to the extreme. 

Obviously you can't just throw things out of the cage, and some of the prizes are bulky (like the kayak) so forcing all the prizes out would be too much.

The 50k minium seems trivial at times, but unless you get the car out, you probably aren't going to get it. Spin out can be a challenge but they rightfully took the time to study before spinning. I also like their tactice for the bowling ball to just give a push and go hunting instead of waiting.  A shame they didn't beat the cage ultimately. I'm not sure how they could've other than landing the bowling challenge. The only wasted times were really spent on the big dollar items. 

As for the dollar amounts at the start, I don't mind how they do it. The team in the lead goes first to pad their lead, so the trailing team knows how much they NEED to get to go forward. It's similar to how Pyramid does it. In this case, the leading team's lead was insurmountable regardless, after 3 perfect rounds so the trailing team didn't seem to put much effort into things. 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2023 at 10:07 PM, KeithJ said:

I’m not sure I like the get a single body part out the door and you get everything you are touching.  You should have to get everything out of the cage.

At first I didn’t like that aspect but now I’m used to it. It does make it exciting. Still can’t believe one contestant broke the glass door .

Last night, there were two men and a married couple. The men played a better game in all aspects but failed to get the final $50,000. 

Can the second team watch the first go through the cage? There was a hat with scarves to pull out that netted an expensive piece of jewelry. Unfortunately, the scarf chain was so long it took 30 seconds to pull out completely. The first team got the jewelry from the hat, but didn't have time to collect much else. The second team should have skipped the scarf option, but didn't. The man on that team spent his entire time pulling out scarves, never got to the last one, and didn't get out of the cage in time. 

I suspect they can watch the other team raid, but it would be nice if someone could find some info to confirm it. I'm pretty sure the mystery boxes do not get reset regardless so only one team could win the box prize.

The scarf pulling tasks always seem to be major timesinks compared to the others. Lassoing also tends to be a big time sink and probably not worth going for. 

Stacking challenges, spinning challenges and the knock down challenges (including frisbee challenges like the pizza oven one recently) are usually worth attempting, but you need to be ready to bail if you don't get it right away. One or two attempts is the most I'd spend on it. 

The spin maze task I'd say skip, but it's usually for the final round and for the car, so spending that time is usually worth it; you'll rarely hit the 50G target without the car.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2024 at 10:17 AM, BradandJanet said:

Last night, there were two men and a married couple. The men played a better game in all aspects but failed to get the final $50,000. 

Can the second team watch the first go through the cage? There was a hat with scarves to pull out that netted an expensive piece of jewelry. Unfortunately, the scarf chain was so long it took 30 seconds to pull out completely. The first team got the jewelry from the hat, but didn't have time to collect much else. The second team should have skipped the scarf option, but didn't. The man on that team spent his entire time pulling out scarves, never got to the last one, and didn't get out of the cage in time. 

I don't think they do get to watch each other. For one, the scarf thing you bring up. There's no way someone with only 30 seconds would go anywhere near that challenge if they'd just watched the other team take at least that long to do it. (And it was clearly not a skill issue as much as it's a "how many fucking scarves are in this damn hat???" issue, so they'd be stupid to think "oh, sure it took him that long, but I can do it!") Second, the team that, a few episodes ago, figured out that, as long as they got a hand out the door, everything they were touching was theirs. They figured that out after their first run, and for their next two runs, they wisely pulled something over towards the door, loaded things up on it, and stayed right in front of the door grabbing whatever was nearby until the warning, sticking their hand out at the last second. If you were allowed to watch each other's raids, the other team would have also picked up on that strategy and used it themselves, but they didn't. 

And, generally, I can see why it would make sense to not let them watch each other. If you go second, watching the first team go and seeing what they're able to do with their time could be a bit of an advantage for your run, just in giving you an estimate of what you'll be able to do with your time, and also in figuring out the challenges by watching what works or doesn't work for the other team. 

• Like 2

Good point about the tactics. With that in mind, I change my mind and say they can't watch previous runners.

As for Cargo pants, I would assume they are "allowed" as long as they are standard pockets. So you couldn't show up with a custom "pocket suit". Even hoodies with the belly pocket probably wouldn't be allowed. The thing is, the time it takes to stuff awkwardly shaped objects into those pockets is probably longer than what you can carry/stack on luggage and carts and stuff to haul out after. 

As noted above, by far the best tactic seems to be to haul something big (like the golf cart or some big luggage) near the door, load that up, and then hang onto it and stick a limb through the door before the time runs out.  The golf cart and similar are usually 'buried' deep enough in the vault that the time it takes to move it to the doors offsets what you can get from loading it up usually. 

17 hours ago, Taeolas said:

As noted above, by far the best tactic seems to be to haul something big (like the golf cart or some big luggage) near the door, load that up, and then hang onto it and stick a limb through the door before the time runs out.  The golf cart and similar are usually 'buried' deep enough in the vault that the time it takes to move it to the doors offsets what you can get from loading it up usually. 

I've noticed that there's usually a foosball table in there. I don't understand how nobody has thought to drag that out and load a bunch of crap on top of it. 

It'll be interesting to see, if there's a season 2, how having a chance to watch the first season changes people's strategy. I suspect we'll see a lot more of the "just get one hand out the door while holding onto a raft/cart/whatever full of stuff" strategy. I also suspect people will stay far away from those damn scarves, unless they make that the challenge you need to win to get the car, or if you have enough time and you really need the big ticket prize to come from behind, and don't think you can build up a comparable value in other prizes during that 30-35 seconds. 

My son's half-joking idea for the scarves "go up there, grab the end, run back down and just keep dragging it all over, hoping it fully unravels while you're grabbing other stuff." 

17 hours ago, Taeolas said:

The thing is, the time it takes to stuff awkwardly shaped objects into those pockets is probably longer than what you can carry/stack on luggage and carts and stuff to haul out after. 

We've joked about how we'd wear cargo pants if we went on there, but, yeah, really the only things that would be easy to slip into pockets while you're moving on to grab something else are the phones, and you can get those in regular pants/jeans pockets easily enough. Unless the cargo pants pockets are huge, there's really just not a lot else there that will fit in them. 

On 11/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, KeithJ said:

I’m not sure I like the get a single body part out the door and you get everything you are touching.  You should have to get everything out of the cage.

Yeah, I don't like that either.  I think you should have to have your whole body along with the items you have.  The previews before the first episode made us believe that the contestants had to have their whole body in.  It's already not that fun when all they have to do is stack items on a cart, move it near the door and touch the cart while sticking you hand through.  I would definitely change that! 

I've said before, but I don't mind the "one body part outside the cage" ruling. 

If they were to change it, then I'd argue they would need ot make it a 5 second warning instead of 3 seconds, just to give them more time to actually get out. 

• Like 1

I really want to talk to the daughter from last night's show to ask her what, exactly, she was thinking on her first raid. It's like she figured out the strategy of grabbing a big thing, loading it up, and then pulling it out, but then she, what, decided to go with three separate big things? She basically wasted a big chunk of her time on stuff that she wasn't going to get out with. And she won the game to get the vacation, but it wasn't on the big item she was actually touching when she got out, so she didn't get it. 

The son was a freaking superstar in the big raid. If he hadn't managed to grab that go-kart and teddy bear right as he was getting out on his last run, they wouldn't have won. And he had to be gassed, because his mom wasn't in there nearly long enough on her run to let him get even a little bit of rest after running the hamster wheel and pushing the car out.

I noticed that, on this episode, when he was giving the rules for the raid, Damon actually said you just needed to get one body part out, and anything you're touching counts. Was that a new instruction? Obviously, that's been the rule all along, but I don't remember him spelling it out before. And the contestants on both teams certainly took advantage of it more than in previous episodes. And it led to the first episode (I think) where we didn't see anyone not get out in any round. 

Also, it's starting to get to a point where watching the gabbing stresses me out more than watching the grabbing. I'm sitting there yelling "oh my God, if you don't know it, just say anything. Anything at all!" 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 1/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, KerleyQ said:

I really want to talk to the daughter from last night's show to ask her what, exactly, she was thinking on her first raid. It's like she figured out the strategy of grabbing a big thing, loading it up, and then pulling it out, but then she, what, decided to go with three separate big things? She basically wasted a big chunk of her time on stuff that she wasn't going to get out with. And she won the game to get the vacation, but it wasn't on the big item she was actually touching when she got out, so she didn't get it. 

The son was a freaking superstar in the big raid. If he hadn't managed to grab that go-kart and teddy bear right as he was getting out on his last run, they wouldn't have won. And he had to be gassed, because his mom wasn't in there nearly long enough on her run to let him get even a little bit of rest after running the hamster wheel and pushing the car out.

I noticed that, on this episode, when he was giving the rules for the raid, Damon actually said you just needed to get one body part out, and anything you're touching counts. Was that a new instruction? Obviously, that's been the rule all along, but I don't remember him spelling it out before. And the contestants on both teams certainly took advantage of it more than in previous episodes. And it led to the first episode (I think) where we didn't see anyone not get out in any round. 

Also, it's starting to get to a point where watching the gabbing stresses me out more than watching the grabbing. I'm sitting there yelling "oh my God, if you don't know it, just say anything. Anything at all!" 

Lol yes.  If you’re stumped , just say an answer it will still be in play.  The mom and son were terrific. 

I go back and forth should they have their whole body and prizes in the cage or the just touching it counts.  I guess I’m ok with however tptb want it.  I do hope it gets another season.  I enjoy the trivia and the overall game. 

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Like 2