Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Part Three - Time to Fly

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Please remember if you would like to discuss other Star Wars properties at length, to go to the Beyond Star Wars topic. Mentions of other shows and small comparisons are fine here but posts should be mostly about the episode. Thank you!

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

When Sabine was there by herself trying to move the cup, I started chanting "I am one with the force; the force is with me."  It helps that they've been running Rogue One nonstop and I keep coming in at the same part where Chirrut is going for the master switch.

Chirrut had clearly watched Star Wars movies & simply knew that Storm Troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn.

• LOL 1

There are different ways to use the force as well. The Nightsisters are using the force but it shows as green flames and magic. We also see animals are force sensitive. So Sabine might not be able to use the force the same as a traditional jedi but that doesn't mean she can't use it. I think Ahsoka knows that the traditional jedi way is not the only way. 

Everyone keeps calling Ahsoka a jedi but she doesn't call herself one and even said she doesn't want Sabine to be a jedi. She's using some of the teachings as well as her own lessons she's learned outside the jedi order. 

• Like 2
On 8/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, Grimnar said:

This is problem when they are hoping that no one will ask why Leia/Luke/Han/etc are not mentioned or present.

I don’t typically follow all these different worlds, but I joined DH for this episode, and my first question was why no one was talking about Luke!!  Glad to know I’m not alone.

17 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I don’t typically follow all these different worlds, but I joined DH for this episode, and my first question was why no one was talking about Luke!!  Glad to know I’m not alone.

Whenever Luke, Han or Leia aren't onscreen, someone should be demanding to know where they are.

• LOL 3

We know where Luke is - he's trying to build his own Jedi temple. He's either still training Grogu or has gone finding new students after Grogu left. It's clear that he has currently other priorities than the New Republic's policy or whatever Ahsoka is up to. And I don't see why she should consult with him - clearly she does not see him as space Jesus (and rightly so). Han and Leia are hopefully enjoying some quality family time with little Ben who depending which site you consult is about 4 or 5 years old now. 

Edited by MissLucas

I don’t understand enough of the details, but Luke single-handedly turned Vader back to the good side and helped save every galaxy.  Why wouldn’t you be reaching out to him for advice/help?

5 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I don’t understand enough of the details, but Luke single-handedly turned Vader back to the good side and helped save every galaxy.  Why wouldn’t you be reaching out to him for advice/help?

Ahsoka: I beat Maul. I survived Order 66. Ezra saved me from your father. Need you not I do.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

So, Ahsoka is 'not a Jedi' with white light sabers and Baylan and Shin don't act like the typical Sith (despite committing evil acts) and have orange light sabers.

Makes me think that this show is going to delve into what it means to be a Jedi (and possibly the concept of the grey jedi). I know that per Lucas the dark side is about abuse of the force and inherently evil, so there is no way to be a wielder the light and dark side of the force at the same time. He may no longer be calling the shots, but I do agree with this viewpoint.

However, that doesn't mean that someone needs to follow the rules of the Jedi Order to be a Jedi. (In fact many of those rules should be disregarded as they are part of the reason the order fell). I think that's part of Ahsoka's journey.

That leaves Baylan and Shin. They act like Jedi that are simply out for themselves. But can they do that without eventually crossing the line and becoming Sith (or something similar)?

https://www.cbr.com/george-lucas-gray-jedi-exsistence-expalined-star-wars-disney/

I cannot believe I am saying this, but.......I am completely bored by this show. Even more than BOBF before Din Djarin appeared.

My issues:

1. Ahsoka, specifically Rosario Dawson's version. She is so wooden. Her dialogue is so flat all the time. For one of the most emotional jedi ever, it's beyond frustrating. When the droid(s) have more personality than her, it's a problem.

2. Exactly why does Sabine need to become a "Jedi"???? She is Mandalorian, no? Ahsoka does not consider herself "Jedi" anymore - what is up with calling her padawan and trying to train a non-force sensitive person to wield the force? Maybe Sabine can just be a badass fighter without the force, like for instance, oh I don't know, a Mandalorian? Ahsoka knows Din Djarin who is pretty badass without using the force - maybe send her to one of her own kind for training? Oh wait, that's a different show.......

3. The only Star Wars show/movie I am completely unfamiliar with is Rebels, and I feel like this show really requires knowledge of that show. I just don't care about any of these characters other than Ahsoka, and unfortunately, so far, she's the least interesting character here......

4. The bad guys are becoming a weird version of Star Wars generic - some not very scary baddies with an agenda chasing our hero(s) around the galaxy.  I really don't care what these guys are looking for at this point. Maybe that has something to do with problem #3 for me......

• Love 1
2 hours ago, paigow said:

Ahsoka: I beat Maul. I survived Order 66. Ezra saved me from your father. Need you not I do.

Beat Maul like the bitch that he was. 

She also has enough Force that she purified the Inquisitor blades to pure white. Only Kenobi had a white blade in ANH. 

Finding Ezra isn't really Luke's agenda right now. He still has family. 

She doesn't need to consult him on anything, and I'm not sure what advice he could give. She's far more experienced. 

• Like 1

This episode wasn't bad considering not a whole lot happened. 

On 8/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, Grimnar said:

that Leia wasn't in the meeting between senators and Hera. This is problem when they are hoping that no one will ask why Leia/Luke/Han/etc are not mentioned or present.

Some vague mention of her would have been nice. She basically ran the rebellion then was the boss in the sequels. Seems weird she wouldn't have some kind of presence here. Carrie Fisher being dead makes her showing up difficult but at least make some kind of reference. Maybe get me a de-aged Laura Dern while they are at it.

On 8/30/2023 at 7:45 PM, Shanna Marie said:

I don't really get why Ahsoka ever tried to train Sabine as a Jedi when she doesn't have the aptitude. I know she later said she was trying to train her to be herself, but why call it "Jedi" training? That only sets expectations that frustrate pupil and teacher and then damage her confidence when she has to hear about how lousy she is as a Jedi. Teach her techniques she can use without trying to call it anything. Isn't Ahsoka kind of anti-Jedi, anyway? She left the order and doesn't consider herself a Jedi. Why is she trying to make Sabine a Jedi? 

I never watched the cartoons so I really don't get why Ahsoka is following so much of the way of the Jedi when she I guess walked away from the order. Not doing things like they did would be better and a nice reminder of how the Jedi order kind of sucked. I also like the idea of exploring how you can use the force and not follow the way of the Jedi and still not turn evil. Since people like Yoda didn't really seem to like that idea in the original movies and the prequels.

Also what is the point of the wings on Ahsoka's ship being able to turn like that. It seems like there is no point to having the wings in up and down mode. Also is her ship the opposite of every other star wars ship in that it has guns that can shoot backwards but not forward?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also is her ship the opposite of every other star wars ship in that it has guns that can shoot backwards but not forward?

During The Clone Wars - Y Wing had a 360 degree rotating top-mounted cannon turret

On 9/5/2023 at 11:14 PM, Ilovepie said:

1. Ahsoka, specifically Rosario Dawson's version. She is so wooden. Her dialogue is so flat all the time. For one of the most emotional jedi ever, it's beyond frustrating. When the droid(s) have more personality than her, it's a problem.

2. Exactly why does Sabine need to become a "Jedi"???? She is Mandalorian, no? Ahsoka does not consider herself "Jedi" anymore - what is up with calling her padawan and trying to train a non-force sensitive person to wield the force? Maybe Sabine can just be a badass fighter without the force, like for instance, oh I don't know, a Mandalorian? Ahsoka knows Din Djarin who is pretty badass without using the force - maybe send her to one of her own kind for training? Oh wait, that's a different show.......

I have exactly the same issues! I really dislike Rosario Dawson's version of Ahsoka. Considering the great job she did on other films or shows (she elevated Iron Fist, and that was not an easy job...), I tend to think that this is how she is directed. Which makes absolutely no sense to me when you know the animated Ahsoka 😡

And the Sabine situation is also absurd to me. She was a strong and independent character on Rebels and there is absolutely no reason to force her into being a Jedi. It made sense to teach her the basics so she could wield the darksaber in Rebels and I think it would be so much fun cooking a kind of fusion food mixing Mandalorian and Jedi techniques 🤩. But the way it is presented here is baffling to me. The fact that I find Natasha Liu Bordizzo pretty unconvincing as the live-action Sabine does not help...

I do not have your problem #3 as I watched Rebels (and enjoyed it, you could give it a try 🙂). But I still have your problem #4, though. The way the bad guys are always speaking in some complicated and VERY SERIOUS riddles makes them completely unconvincing as real characters, in my opinion.

• Like 1
On 9/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, paigow said:

During The Clone Wars - Y Wing had a 360 degree rotating top-mounted cannon turret

Interesting, I never watched the CG clone wars cartoon (although the 2D one was awesome). I just thought it was annoying that during the trench run in A New Hope the attack fighters couldn't shoot backwards.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tuggy said:

I have exactly the same issues! I really dislike Rosario Dawson's version of Ahsoka. Considering the great job she did on other films or shows (she elevated Iron Fist, and that was not an easy job...), I tend to think that this is how she is directed. Which makes absolutely no sense to me when you know the animated Ahsoka 😡

Yeah, I can't speak to how she was on Rebels, but I have seen comments like "well, she's not a teenager, she has experienced so much trauma it's changed her, blah blah blah"........I don't think people's inherent personality changes that much - it's like she's a completely different person. And It's not just becoming stoic as an adult - she is emotionless! Both Huyang and Chopper have more personality.

And this is the third show where the title character has been pushed aside for a secondary character. It's like a bait and switch: Boba Fett was sidelined in his own show in exchange for Din Djarin, who was then sidelined in his show because now Bo Katan is "The Mandalorian"; now Ahsoka feels like a secondary character compared to Sabine.  I'm getting tired of it.

• Like 1