Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Sebastian

• Start Topic

So Edgar has had a lizard on his shoulders since he was a child, it can't be the same Roxana, they should have picked a type of lizard that might live for several decades, which usually tend to be brown.

My favorite episode so far, there wasn't a lot of fluff. Sebastian's cousin's were too stupid to know all those different cons just by the names.

Yasper.

This one is a potential game changer with Sebastian's view of Edgar being that he was an awful person. I've really liked Edgar up until this point but I think it's likely Sebastian's Edgar is more like the real Edgar. We've seen him described by Aniq, Grace, Travis and Hannah. Travis' view of Edgar was actually consistent with Sebastian's, but that was dismissed by the audience as being due to Travis' jealousy about Grace and bitterness about crypto. He was often sweet with Aniq but Sebastian's story showed us that some of those moments were done in order to upset Sebastian. That leaves Grace and Hannah, his fiancee and his sister who were having an affair with each other. And are, after his murder, describing him with a view to not making it look like they had cause to kill him. If he was the person Sebastian describes, that gives each of them individually and as a team, cause to kill him.

Last week we saw how their stories diverged on the important moment of the wedding vows. Last week it appeared that Hannah had more reason to lie. But if Edgar was an awful person, he could have been saying something to Grace more consistent with how he behaved to Sebastian. Giving both Grace and Hannah reason to lie. Which lines up with the ending, where we learn they are keeping something from Danner. 

If Edgar is a horrible person more of the general oddness around him makes sense. Feng saying, "I'm not letting that man ruin our family" when he was with Ulysses and Vivian the night before the wedding wasn't about Ulysses but about Edgar. And has something to do with him threatening Vivian in Sebastian's description. It also leads to the possibility of Edgar being responsible for Isabel's memory loss and bizarre behaviour. Especially as she's seeming more coherent now that he's dead. So much of his callous behaviour could be because he actually doesn't care about upsetting people rather than him being oblivious but lovable underneath.

Edited by AllyB
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If there are as many video camera's as Sebastian seems to think, Edgar might know about Grace and Hannah's dalliance.

Yeah. And Edgar has been shown a couple of times to be someone who actually reads people very well. So I think there's a decent chance he has picked up on Grace and Hannah having an affair.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Oh Jack Whitehall, buddy, no. I usually don't hear bad accents, since I'm german and so my tolerance is quite high (germans speaking english is rough), but dudes american accent was attrocious.

Really? I thought it was fine, especially since after the initial shock I didn't notice it at all. There were no vowels that seemed out of place and no overcompensation on the Rs that I can think of. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Really? I thought it was fine, especially since after the initial shock I didn't notice it at all. There were no vowels that seemed out of place and no overcompensation on the Rs that I can think of. 

Maybe with my different background I notice different nuances, that then sound really bad and unnatural to me. I quite often think, when other people here on these forums said that something was a horrible accent "sounded fine to me". This was just the opposite of that.

Having slept on it: Sebastian's story is the first one that really doesn't seem to fit the others. Are we really to believe that everybody else had Edgar pegged completely wrong or did Sebastian just make this story up wholesale?

First Hannah seemed to think last week that her brother was a good friend to her as a kid and just got consumed with work when he got older. Sebastian now suggests that he was always a pretty big prick. Grace also seemed to be sure that Edgar was a good guy deep down and Aniq had a genuine connection with him. Who to believe? Or can both perspectives be true? The "he was a different person when it came to business"-excuse certainly seemed a little thin.

Can you really just con yourself into an elite school or is Sebastian's backstory a lot of bullcrap? Did he give himself that loveable underdog story in order to distract from himself? Is he possibly really british afterall? It would fit with the showrunners casting a british actor...

At first he didn't want to talk to our detectives, but the second they told him that they knew that Edgar had fired him, he was suddenly super eager to tell them his story. Why? Unless he recognised and seized the opportunity to make Edgar look bad. Last week Hannah said Sebastian told her that "Tommorow is a big day for both of us. You're losing a brother, I'm losing a business partner". Who says that if they were fired? No, you say that if your business partner quits. So I'm standing by my old theory that Edgar was quitting, to spend more time with Grace and that list of names were possible replacements for himself. Also notice "tomorrow". According to Sebastian's story this week, he was already fired at that point, so why "tomorrow", unless he was not fired, it was Edgar quitting and his marriage to Grace denoted that change?

What was explained for the first time is how Roxana got back on Edgar's shoulder, but that really only means that Sebastian breaking into the safe and Edgar and Sebastian meeting did happen. I don't really doubt that part, just Sebastian's motives for breaking into the safe and his generall backstory.

Speaking of Roxana we still don't quite know how she was poisoned. I'm still partial to the idea that white chocolate was involved somehow, but this week we saw her being put on a Horsd’œuvre platter. Could something on there have been poisoned?

Anywho. What if Edgar really was a good guy? We would be inclined to believe that the rich guy was an asshole, and the scrappy underdog was the good guy, actually. Is Sebastian exploiting Aniq's and Danner's unconscious biases? Was the crypto pump and dump maybe Sebastian's thing? Speaking of the crypto, I think Sebastian is on the phone all the time trying to sell it, now that Edgar is dead and the confidence in it will plummet once word gets out. The korean guy on the phone last week said "Tell Sebastian I'm in. I'll take 5 million.". So that would mean he has the crypto keys. He couldn't have gotten them after Edgar was dead, since he would have needed Roxana to open the safe, but Hannah had her body after Edgar's death, so that means he must have stolen the keys that night, when he said that he only stole back his card, right?

That would also be the motive. Since crypto is a confidence game, Edgar quitting would have made it lose a lot of value. So Sebastian had any reason to kill Edgar and sell the crypto before anybody knew. He is also the one who convinced Edgar's mother in episode 1 to wait a day before calling the police.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Maybe with my different background I notice different nuances, that then sound really bad and unnatural to me. I quite often think, when other people here on these forums said that something was a horrible accent "sounded fine to me". This was just the opposite of that.

I felt similarly about Hugh Laurie on House -- the accent seemed weird to me but I think it was really just that I had too much familiarity with his British accent and the higher pitch.

I was expecting a spy thriller given the credits but it being a heist was even more fun. I was truly shocked when it was revealed that Sebastian was American all along, although I have a whole lot of questions about how he pulled that off.

Sebastian's version of Edgar is probably the most different account we've heard of him, besides Travis who doesn't even know him. In most versions of Edgar he's a nice rather socially awkward guy who's biggest flaws are working too much and being insensitive due to his awkwardness, but in Sebastian's version he seems like he's been a prick since he was a kid. This might be true, or it might just be Sebastian trying to make himself look better or he's just pissed about being fired. I still like the idea that Edgar had a good reason to fire Sebastian and that could have been his real motive for murder. 

Between this and the reunion, no one is going to want to invite Zoey and Aniq to anything. 

Yasper!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4

This show continues to blow me away. Every little detail to the story that we see from someone else’s perspective gets answered in someone else’s story. I was wondering why Sebastian was suddenly hitting on the sister, and why Edgar abruptly left the wedding dance. Really interested to see everything through Edgar’s mom’s POV. 

• Like 4
On 8/3/2023 at 12:23 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Oh Jack Whitehall, buddy, no. I usually don't hear bad accents, since I'm german and so my tolerance is quite high (germans speaking english is rough), but dudes american accent was attrocious.

I'm with you on this. His o's and aw's sounded janky to me.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 9:23 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

Oh god, yes. His American accent is distractingly bad. 

All I could think of was Olivia Colman unintentionally shading his American accent during an appearance on the Graham Norton Show (the movie clip in question was from Clifford):

Edited by sharifa70
  • Like 1
  • Love 2