Type keyword(s) to search

Benedict Cumberbatch: Not Your Father's Sherlock

More info on the National Theatre Live showing of Hamlet http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/ntlout10-hamlet

There are three theaters I can reach that show NTL broadcasts, so I'm hoping to see it!

There's a quite interesting video of the Vanity Fair photo shoot from the photographer's point of view:

(There's even a review of the video on PopPhoto, which finds it quite useful to photographers.)

From the Daily Mail: BAZ BAMIGBOYE: It'll be Sherlock homebody soon. (The article talks about Benedict's planning to take some time to nest and prepare for parenthood.)

Although Benedict did not with Best Actor (a pity, but not really a surprise), The interwebs seem to have decided that the Cumberbatch newlyweds are the cutest and chic-est couple ever (I do not disagree!), and are presenting plenty of photos to back up the opinion. Here's a small selection:

People Magazine: So Sweet! Benedict Cumberbatch Smooches Pregnant Wife on the Red Carpet

HuffPo Canada (I assume by their full-time Benedict photo poster, bless her): Benedict Cumberbatch's Best Oscar 2015 Moments and Benedict Cumberbatch's Oscars 2015 Outfit Channels Bond, James Bond

The Mirror: 9 loving pictures which show Benedict Cumberbatch and Sophie Hunter are enjoying newly wedded bliss

And even Perez Hilton: Benedict Cumberbatch & Pregnant Wife Sophie Hunter Are Out To Win Most Adorable Couple at the Oscars!

(My mom keeps saying, "They look alike!" And they do. And, looking at my parents' wedding photos, so do they. :) )

now that's maternity evening wear done right!!

ITA!

Some more from the Oscars/Oscar afterparties...

BBC News Interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14N06HzaSo

Variety: Inside Vanity Fair’s Oscar Party: Beyonce, Cumberbatch and In-N-Out

Independent.ie: Vanity Fair Oscars party: Eddie Redmayne, Benedict Cumberbatch and Oprah Winfrey lead red carpet glam (There's a short video there.)

Independen.uk: Benedict Cumberbatch: Alan Turing 'would have shrunk with horror' at the Oscars 2015 furore (Includes a very nice video interview from, I think, before the Oscars, about TIG.)

Bustle: 6 Benedict Cumberbatch Quotes From The Oscars, Because He Always Inspires Through His Words

And a tweet from Good Morning America: Benedict Cumberbatch... always having the most fun. (click for pic!)

There are also a whole bunch of pieces showing photos of Benedict and Sophie kissing while they fill their car with gas, very sweet, but they look like pap photos to me, so I'm not bringing the links, because I'm mean that way.

• Love 1

There are a bunch more articles with either fan or pap photos of the couple on their honeymoon--apparently they went whale watching--but I feel weird about posting links to pictures of what they clearly mean to be private time. (I haven't even read the articles, only saw the headlines.) But if you want to see them, you can find them easily by Googling--that's my compromise!

• Love 1

Man, Bora Bora seems like a great place to be right now.  Stupid smarch weather.  

FYI, we finally have dates for the release of The Imitation Game DVD in the states - March 31st.  Though, it should be available on ITunes on March 20th.  And, if you never get tired of hearing BC say peengweens, The Penguins of Madagascar is out on DVD March 17th but is available on ITunes now.

• Love 1

More on The Imitation Game: Box-Office Milestone: 'The Imitation Game' Crosses $200 Million Globally (from the Hollywood Reporter). Not too shabby from a low-budget indie film!

From HuffPo UK: Sherlock's Best One-Liners For Every Occasion, Courtesy Of Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Gatiss And Steven Moffat

The one-liners are of course familiar to those of us who have the scripts memorized (what?), but it is followed by a great many lovely photos. Perhaps the person at HuffPo Canada who has a full-time job collecting photos of Benedict is moon-lighting?

• Love 1

More on The Imitation Game: Box-Office Milestone: 'The Imitation Game' Crosses $200 Million Globally (from the Hollywood Reporter). Not too shabby from a low-budget indie film!

From HuffPo UK: Sherlock's Best One-Liners For Every Occasion, Courtesy Of Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Gatiss And Steven Moffat

The one-liners are of course familiar to those of us who have the scripts memorized (what?), but it is followed by a great many lovely photos. Perhaps the person at HuffPo Canada who has a full-time job collecting photos of Benedict is moon-lighting?

Oh HuffPo UK, who is "Mr." Watson?

• Love 2

I assume this is timed to coincide with the release of the DVD--there's a video of Benedict (and other creators of The Imitation Game) at the Express website about Alan Turing's and the loss of Christopher.

There's an interview with Judi Dench at the Boston Herald website (it says it's from US Weekly, but I can't find it on the US Weekly website): There's nothin' like a dame! Judi Dench talks about Maggie, Benedict and her future (Retirement? Heck no!). In it is a bit about Benedict, with whom she worked in The Hollow Crown:

You're busy! Tell Us about working with Benedict Cumberbatch on BBC's The Hollow Crown.

I've known Benedict since he was a little boy. His mother and I went to school together. I send him and his new wife huge love. I've been thinking of him, and his ma and pa.

(Not exactly an in-depth analysis, but perhaps there will be more in the US Weekly piece. Or perhaps not, as she's out promoting a different movie!)

The newlyweds had a night out - at Buckingham Palace no less.  Just hanging out with Princess Anne and Stephen Hawking (it was a reception for the Motor Neurone Disease Association).  Pictures - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2988839/Actor-Benedict-Cumberbatch-new-wife-join-Stephen-Hawking-Princess-Anne-charity-dinner-Hawking-s-ex-wife-makes-plea-policy-overhaul.html.  And, as always, I just love Sophie's gown.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

For a change of pace; I stumbled upon this 10 minute video conversation (from Variety's Actors on Actors series which aired on PBS a couple of months ago) between Benedict and Edward Norton (Birdman).  EN seems to take the lead in the conversation (but that's OK with me 'cuz I like him) but I found it interesting to watch two actors talk about their craft. 

• Love 1

I think this may fall under the category of "not very likely": Benedict is rumored to have agreed to join the cast of Horrible Bosses 3--a film which has not so far been green-lighted. 

It's Mother's Day in the UK, and apparently both the Daily Star and the Express think that clips of Benedict in action make the perfect gift: 

VIDEO: He sings, plays piano and wears dodgy trunks - Our top 9 Benedict Cumberbatch clips

VIDEO: Mother's Day treat - curl up with our top 7 Benedict Cumberbatch clips

The former chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (I assume this is a British institution) has, albeit belatedly, come out in support of Benedict: Benedict Cumberbatch was victim of 'bonkers' political correctness.

And Parade.com has posted a clip from the DVD extras from Penguins of Madagascar. (We've seen bits of this before, but it's cute):

There are  several articles-mit-photos of Benedict jogging in the park (complete with snarky comments about his outfit). Since this was clearly not a public appearance, I'm not bringing links, but it's easy enough to look for them if you want a look.

Edited by rereader2

This isn't what you might call new, since it's from 2013, but because Top Gear is in the news now (I presume), the Guardian has resurrected a clip of Benedict on Top Gear, faking a punch at Clarkson:

Another appearance - he's going to be reading a poem by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Muffy at Richard III's reinterment service.  Now that's publicity for the Hollow Crown :-)

If you are in England, the burial service will be shown live on channel 4 on Thursday from 10 am.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

For those who aren't able to attend Letters Live, BC and Louise recorded letters from My Dear Bessie which will air on BBC Radio 4 Monday 20th April at 2.15pm (UK time). It will also be available on iPlayer.  FYI, Radio 4 is available to the entire world both live and on iPlayer. 

• Love 1

Shakespeare's Richard III was evil, for sure. History's? Not so clear. (Certainly he did not make it a policy to kill off his enemies families down to the farthest possible relation, as his successor (Henry VII) did--but the winner gets to write the history books.)

Benedict had some interesting thoughts about the service and his part in it.

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 1
(edited)

He said in another interview that he is playing Shakespeare's version of Richard III not the historically accurate one.   

He won best actor last night at the National Film Awards for The Imitation Game (which is FINALLY out on DVD here in the States). 

edited to add  Benedict Cumberpeep (its #11 if it goes back to the beginning) http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-top-50-in-the-2015-peeps-diorama-contest/2015/03/31/f65bd3fa-cda8-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_gallery.html

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

There's an interview clip up at BBC Sport of Benedict talking about meeting Eric Cantona (? An actor and former "footballer," if my googling is right) and John McEnroe at last year's Laureus Awards, where he's all awe-struck at meeting his sports heroes.

And he's currently in Shanghai for "promotional activities for the 2015 UK-China Year of Cultural Exchange," and there are a bunch of articles and interviews:

Womenofchina

CRI news

Daily Mail

During a press conference there, he talked about impending fatherhood, and filmed an ad for MG cars (video here).

Edited by rereader2

Eric Cantona used to play for Manchester United when they were in their 90s hey-day. I remember that team and had a poster of Ryan Giggs on my wall. Ashamed, but only slightly.

• Love 1

The BBC Drama of the week podcast has My Dear Bessie available this week.  I'm listening right now - its really really good (heh, I know - big shocker).  I'm really glad - I haven't had time to listen to it via the website and now I don't have to worry about the time running out since its only available a month I think on the website.

• Love 1