Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Reunion

• Start Topic

AAAABYX_H_Z5AazJpqq41Z2iGeJ4_L1H-tS-HXGe
Geralt seeks magical help from a family friend as Ciri and Yennefer clash over plans for the future. Philippa and Dijkstra scheme to get Vizimir in line.

Original Airdate: June 29, 2023     Netflix      

• Like 1

Kind of weird that they would bother getting a moderately recognizable name/face like Robbie Amell to play Gallatin, if they were just going to off him that quickly.  Then again, maybe that was the purpose of it: get someone that makes one think he'll be sticking around, only to flip the script.  But I guess Emhyr made Cahir do it because he prefers for Francesca to remain in charge?  Or does he have another idea?

I get the appeal of wanting to rub it in Radovid's face, but I feel like Dijkstra gloating and showing his cards already to him about his part in the Queen's death is so going to backfire on him.

Oh, hey, Istredd is back!

Can't remember the last time I saw Catherine McCormack in anything, so that was cool.  Even then, I'll still remember her first from Braveheart.

Heh, Ciri spends just one day with Yen and the sorceresses, and already decides that she would be better off without them.  Hey, Geralt might be a lot of things, but at least he wouldn't make her serve him wine and clean toilets!  

• Like 3
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Kind of weird that they would bother getting a moderately recognizable name/face like Robbie Amell to play Gallatin, if they were just going to off him that quickly. 

Hubby and I watched the first three eps of S3 last night, so I went from 'Oh, hi, Robbie Amell!' 'Oh....bye, Robbie Amell' quickly enough to give me whiplash. Heh.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
(edited)

This is a disjointed mess. You have Siri in a cellar arguing with Yen and you have Geralt in a druids hut. Next time we see them they are both riding around, without ever having gotten any indication that they had left their previous locations, or plans to meet up. I at first thought it was some kind of vision, but apparently it was real? How did they even find each other? Were they close? All of this is nonesensical.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 7

@PurpleTentacle, you seem to be hate watching this show, as I am afraid I will be too if I continue this season... I am not clear if this comes from the fact that this season is way below the previous ones or if it is because it has been so long since we were connected to this universe, but it is not working at all. No wonder Henry Cavill decided to jump ship 🙄

• Like 1

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who got confused by that last scene. I checked a recap to see if I had missed something. Nope, seems some stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. I've also spent quite some time rolling my eyes about Ciri's 'disguise' in previous episodes when simply dying her hair would have been way more efficient.

• Like 5

OK, I’ve figured it out. Witcher Season 3 is basically a soap opera. It bounces from one group of characters to another, for 5 minutes at a time, saying very little, maybe making one point. I’ve seen enough of that while my SO watches her show. I find this model tedious and boring, especially when a scene’s point is frivolous humor. I would prefer fewer character groups and longer scenes that say something. As it is I ignore whole sequences and miss nothing. Sad, because Cavill is doing a good job and the source material is rich.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 7/4/2023 at 2:02 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

You have Siri in a cellar arguing with Yen and you have Geralt in a druids hut. Next time we see them they are both riding around, without ever having gotten any indication that they had left their previous locations, or plans to meet up. I at first thought it was some kind of vision, but apparently it was real? How did they even find each other? Were they close?

I was baffled by this as well. I agree it was poorly edited, or perhaps even poorly written. Or both.

On 7/4/2023 at 6:46 AM, Ottis said:

OK, I’ve figured it out. Witcher Season 3 is basically a soap opera. It bounces from one group of characters to another, for 5 minutes at a time, saying very little, maybe making one point.

I'm enjoying the season well enough but I see your point. I wonder if the direction of the show is being driven by Cavill's imminent departure. They may be trying to minimize Geralt's screentime so the casting change won't be quite so jarring or important.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3

I see Netlix decided take a page from CDPR book and do everything in their power to prop Geralt and Ciri relationship while devaluating Ciri and Yennefer😑 It's uncanny how my least favourite thing in the game (that is otherwise fantastic) is also present here. I don't see mother/daugher bond between them at all.

Also this season is just boring. So many new unnecesarry characters. Couldn't Geralt just take fake Ciri to Nenneke? She was the closest he had to a mother figure. Why introduce the elf dude, setting the plot of conflict among the elves, just to kill him to show how devoted Cahir is to Emhyr? It's not like they built their friendship for past two seasons. Am I really supposed to care?

And Redania's plot is not exaclty showing Dijkstra as a witty, patriotic superspy. Again they building up Radovid by sacrificing Dijkstra's character. And if they wanted to convince me there were some vibes between Radovid and Jaskier they should have done a better job. You spoke to him twice and now you have a crush Jaskier? Prince of Redania is not exaclty a charmer, he gives off very unsettling vibes. His monologue about a spoon did not convince me.

At least the cast is attractive.

• Like 2

Its so unfortunate that so much of this season is so boring and convoluted because there is a lot here that I like and has potential. Unfortunately none of the million plots can ever just take a second and really develop before we go to another plot with even more characters all expositioning and engaging in more political stuff that I just cannot force myself to care about. 

Robbie Amell, I guess it was nice knowing you for about three minutes, sorry that you ended up not having much of a point besides letting me laugh at how silly you look in elf ears. 

Ciri really did not enjoy her time as an unpaid magic intern, it seems like she quit in a huff in about a day, even though its hard to really tell how much time has passed. I can appreciate that she has a strong sense of justice, but she really needs to learn when to just be quiet, if she keeps trying to very openly right every wrong she sees she's going to get caught very quickly.

• Like 5