Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Goat Witch and the Sinner

• Start Topic

dc877a20-43f6-4aa4-907b-c062edb1603b?bas

Emily promises Josh she will seek help; Young Edwin has a secret; Alison tries to figure out the most exciting way to spend her last night of vacation.

Premiere Date: May 24, 2023    Hulu  

(edited)

After watching this episode, I have a sinking feeling that we will never find out who killed Alison. Please don’t do this! 😣

Even in the penultimate episode, Gogo still doesn’t know and realize who Emily is.

Up to this point, Olivia and Tyler seemed to have the strongest motive to get rid of Alison - their resentments. But logistic wise, they wouldn’t have known on how to get to Paulette’s or Faraway Cay without any help from the resort’s people.

Edwin was so looking forward for a life in NYC where he can be true to himself. Why in the current timeline, he is still on the island, married to Sara and suppressing his sexuality? 🤔

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

After watching this episode, I have a sinking feeling that we will never find out who killed Alison. Please don’t do this! 😣

Even in the penultimate episode, Gogo still doesn’t know and realize who Emily is.

Up to this point, Olivia and Tyler seemed to have the strongest motive to get rid of Alison - their resentments. But logistic wise, they wouldn’t have known on how to get to Paulette’s or Faraway Cay without any help from the resort’s people.

Edwin was so looking forward for a life in NYC where he can be true to himself. Why in the current timeline, he is still on the island, married to Sara and suppressing his sexuality? 🤔

I was starting to wonder if her death was an accident? I am trying to remember the forensics, did they ever say the shape her body was in or actual cause of death? They think she was raped because they found semen from both of them, but if she willingly had a threesome, that would explain that. And maybe they were drunk and the guys were arguing and somehow fell (I think they were by a cliff), and they ran?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Like 2

I can totally see it as an accident (after a threesome, which explains the forensics) and a panicked cover up.  That would be the second tragedy:  Emily has spent all this time and effort seeking the answer to question why was her sister murdered, when it was accidental all along.

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I was starting to wonder if her death was an accident? They think she was raped because they found semen from both of them, but if she willingly had a threesome, that would explain that.

Accidental death is possible, it’ll be very anticlimactic though. Did Alison have any defensive wounds?

Would Gogo want to have a 3-some with Edwin after what he heard from Desmond?

10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I thought he did realize it when she was finger writing on her arm.

Gogo moves away from Emily after he tells her not to touch him. While Emily’s doing her finger-writing tic, Gogo is standing far at the back.  

09BC2751-1A2E-412C-A63D-9527E99B965B.jpeg

E590C393-A0D8-4E13-A0F4-BA47F3CE6790.jpeg

Emily is really insufferable and the actress is not doing the character any favors. Such an oversimplified depiction, from every angle (writing, directing, acting). It really would've helped if this show spent any time showing us why these people are so devoted to her since we've only seen her display the worst of her pathology. I do understand that they are sympathetic to her mental illness, but it's just way too far-fetched that her boyfriend is still just living with her like things are normal. And apparently it took him days to ask what happened "the other night?" So they've just been living together for multiple days and he hadn't asked?

On the bright side, as impressed as I've been by Josh Bonzie this whole series, I can now add Jayden Elijah (Edwin) to the list. He's really doing a masterful job shifting from charismatic to cruel to vulnerable and back again in seconds.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

On the bright side, as impressed as I've been by Josh Bonzie this whole series, I can now add Jayden Elijah (Edwin) to the list. He's really doing a masterful job shifting from charismatic to cruel to vulnerable and back again in seconds.

Yep. Those 2 have really impressed me. I also think the girl playing young Clary/Emily is very good, too. Those performances make this otherwise terrible show worth watching tbh.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2023 at 4:14 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought he did realize it when she was finger writing on her arm.

Same, but I also think it's ridiculous to portray this as such a noticeable tic for a kid. Honestly if I saw a kid  doing that I would think she was just scratching her arm like she had a rash or something. 

At this point I can't stand either Alison or Emily. Alison isn't quite the stunner the show pretends she is and she's not likeable. And Emily is a straight up self-obsessed liar who screws over everybody, yet they are all supposed to be so invested in worrying about her. And I don't know how realistic it would be for either Alison, Edwin or Gogo to be interested in a threesome, so I hope they don't go there. 

I'll finish the season, but if they don't solve the murder I'm going to be so annoyed. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Same, but I also think it's ridiculous to portray this as such a noticeable tic for a kid. Honestly if I saw a kid  doing that I would think she was just scratching her arm like she had a rash or something. 

Exactly - I wouldn't notice it if some random kid at the resort I worked for did that, and I certainly wouldn't connect it 15 years later to an adult woman doing it in a wildly different context.

(edited)

I’m going to finish this to the end but not sure why. Have they actively tried to make Allison and Emily unlikable for some larger point? I really don’t understand Allison’s obsession with Edwin, why is she trying so hard to prove something to some random resort employee while on a whole 5 day vacation? And I don’t see why everyone is so drawn to her “amazingness ”? Emily is lucky anyone on the planet still talks to her. She’s horrible. I get we’re supposed to understand her deep burning grief and that she MUST know what happened to her sister but it just all rings false to me. 

Eh, maybe they’ll stick the landing on the final ep (but I doubt it).

Edited by sadie
  • Like 3

I don't think anyone is drawn to Allison because of her so much as because they're messed up and using her. Edwin is gay and suppressing/hiding it, Tyler has an evil dad that wants him to fuck for some weird reason, the married guy is just gross and into young women. It's not even about her.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Exactly - I wouldn't notice it if some random kid at the resort I worked for did that, and I certainly wouldn't connect it 15 years later to an adult woman doing it in a wildly different context.

Maybe he made the connection because Emily has been so weird and stalkery with him, and he could never figure out why. Then she told that story about how her "brother" was murdered when she was 7, and that probably made him think about Alison and the week leading up to it? That's the only explanation I can think of.

• Like 3

I rolled my eyes so hard at the "Allison was perfect! How can I live in a world where someone would kill my perfect sister?" rant that they did a complete 360 in my head. Emily still has her 7 year old's image of her sister, and her parents obviously didn't see Allison and all her personality warts either. I'm actually expecting her death to be accidental. She played stupid games and got a stupid prize.

• Like 2
On 5/26/2023 at 10:04 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I don't think anyone is drawn to Allison because of her so much as because they're messed up and using her. Edwin is gay and suppressing/hiding it, Tyler has an evil dad that wants him to fuck for some weird reason, the married guy is just gross and into young women. It's not even about her.

I completely agree with this. She's fine. She's not awful. She's self-absorbed, but the normal amount for her age. She's pretty enough. And she's seeking -- which makes her a target for all these other people's needs.

And tiny Claire's admiration is just standard sisterly worship, obviously compounded by her tragic death. I don't need Allison to be exceptional for the story to work. Unfortunately I do need Emily to be remotely sympathetic for it to work and, alas, she is not.

• Like 3