Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Ruskin Roulette

• Start Topic

Good episode. What a nice ending. Since the show is canceled, I’m glad it didn’t end on a cliff hanger.

That guy running for mayor is a massive sleazy jerk as were his toadies. I can’t help but think Suarez let the chief of the department (who I guess outranks Suarez and the other chief) know what’s going on and backed up Regina, as did Suarez. I thought something was going to happen between Regina and Suarez went for that drink because they have some chemistry but I’m glad it didn’t 

Killian got smart with his 2nd job boss and didn’t go with him

• Like 5
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Good episode. What a nice ending. Since the show is canceled, I’m glad it didn’t end on a cliff hanger.

Yes, but if the show gets picked up by another network or streamer, there's also room for more plot development. 

But I'm guessing the Writers Strike could mean a pause on those possible networks or streamers who would be interested in picking up this or other shows in similar limbo, and those pauses may outlast the contracts of the key actors.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I don't understand why the Dept is so against having cops in the projects. I thought they always want MORE policing, not less? And if Brandy hadn't been there, they would not have even known Tyson was living there in the first place.

Unless, of course, they WANT more crime? I suppose thaat's a possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

If they had to wrap this up, this was the way to do it. I loved Regina, but then I thought  all the characters  had something  to offer. I thought  I read it's being  shopped around. Someone , please pick it up, it's not that bad. Sigh.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't understand why the Dept is so against having cops in the projects. I thought they always want MORE policing, not less? And if Brandy hadn't been there, they would not have even known Tyson was living there in the first place.

Unless, of course, they WANT more crime? I suppose thaat's a possibility. 

I thought the 2 guys who wanted to put Regina behind a desk were probably engaged in some sort of scheme that they didn’t want her sniffing out.

21 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

I thought  I read it's being  shopped around. Someone , please pick it up, it's not that bad. Sigh.

Yes, but, heh, “it’s not that bad” is what I thought when I married my ex.
All of the mature actors are good. Unfortunately, the 2 younger actors don’t seem to be very good.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Unfortunately, the 2 younger actors don’t seem to be very good.

You may be right, but consider-those actors, like the characters they play, can learn and benefit from their more experienced counterparts. I think they have shown growth in skill over the season. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought the 2 guys who wanted to put Regina behind a desk were probably engaged in some sort of scheme that they didn’t want her sniffing out.

Yes, but, heh, “it’s not that bad” is what I thought when I married my ex.
All of the mature actors are good. Unfortunately, the 2 younger actors don’t seem to be very good.

I like the younger  actors, as well.

• Like 4

Seriously. It was a good season finale, and good if the show doesn't come back. I am still hoping it does. I'm not sure whether the writers' strike could help or hurt. The producers could have stockpiled a few scripts before the strike started, and that might give them some leverage at going to a different network or platform that wants new content as fast as possible.

It was a nice, tight ensemble, and I'll miss it.

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Seriously. It was a good season finale, and good if the show doesn't come back. I am still hoping it does. I'm not sure whether the writers' strike could help or hurt. The producers could have stockpiled a few scripts before the strike started, and that might give them some leverage at going to a different network or platform that wants new content as fast as possible.

Is that common practice? For writers to be paid to write additional scripts before a show is renewed? 
Or would it be more of a matter of hedging ones bets because of the impending Writers Strike?

It depends on the production company. They may have extra scripts available if they were looking at an extended season, or since they knew that the writer strike was coming up, they could have commissioned breakdowns and treatments for a new season during this season. I actually have a friend on the show, and I can ask her what she thinks.

What this is working against (that is the writer strike) is new shows. They can't have what are called mini rooms, which is one of the practices that the strike is protesting. A mini room is when a writer has submitted a pilot and a few more writers are brought in to help break out a season and character arcs etc. Then if the show is ordered to series, the original writer has to use the work from the mini room and write episodes all on his or her own.

And the shows that have been interrupted, still have drafts of episodes that they can go back into when the strike is over. I know someone on Evil, and I know they had outlined the entire season and we're shooting it, because it shoots around my neighborhood. So the strike finally stopped production with them, but if it's settled in a reasonable amount of time, they can continue shooting and using the scripts that were already drafted and being worked on.

And of course, some shows are really completely over. I know someone on Mrs Maisel, and she said they finished well before the writers strike loomed.

• Useful 3

I hope ENY showrunners are still not giving up yet. Keep trying to find a new home for ENY, will ya!

Am going to miss Regina Haywood and Marvin Sandeford.

Capt. Yenko’s appreciation speech for Regina towards the end… 🥺

Overall, it’s a good series finale. One minor thing - there’s no need for Brandy’s mom and her bf to be in this episode.

With the series ended, we won’t get to see an investigation towards SVU team on unsolved cases that Chief Suarez wants Morales to be part of.  

• Like 4

I was surprised that Suarez really thought they were asking to see Morales for the SVU investigation, when that wasn't the case. Sometimes he seems to know what's going on and other times, really not.

I liked Brandy telling her mother she doesn't know whether or not staying where she is is a good career move. It mirrored Regina deciding to stay where she is and not accept a promotion to get her out of the way. I wonder waht Regina was like when she was a rookie.

• Like 6

Everybody talks about the characters but what stood out for me was the art that went into the feel of the show - the music and scenery were totally compelling and contributed hugely to my enjoyment.  I thought they diid a good job of role calling the whole ending whether it is the end or not.  I'm so very sorry this show has not received the support it deserved.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2023 at 10:43 PM, kwnyc said:

It was a nice, tight ensemble, and I'll miss it.

Agree. I enjoyed this show. I thought the whole cast was good but I especially liked Regina’s character. Those higher-ups were obnoxious pigs, except for the chief who stood up for her.

I also love Jimmy Smits. I remember him from LA Law  and NYPD Blue. I wish his role had been bigger. I’d like to see him be more of a presence here as the elder statesman, like Tom Selleck on Blue Bloods

I liked the camaraderie of the last season. I’m disappointed the show was canceled. 

I didn’t realize the writers were on strike. Why? Will have to research it. 

• Like 1