Type keyword(s) to search

High Desert - General Discussion

• Start Topic

MV5BYjljNTYwZjEtMDRhYy00OWFlLTk4N2EtYzVh

High Desert is an eight (half-hour) episode dark comedy TV Series streaming the first three episodes on May 17, 2023 on Apple TV+. High Desert follows Peggy, an on-again-off-again drug addict, who lives with her mother, Rosalyn, who was always there to support her, regardless of her questionable life choices, in the small desert town of Yucca Valley, California. After the death of her beloved mother, all Peggy has left are judgmental siblings who haven’t forgiven her for becoming a drug dealer, even though the entire family was happy to spend the money she got from her illegal affairs. Peggy decides to make a new start as private investigator, even though she refuses to do any work before 11am. Her new career as a PI will soon get her involved with dangerous people and situations she’s too distracted to notice.

high-desert-patricia-arquette.jpg

Patricia Arquette as Peggy, an recovering drug addict who decides to make a new start by becoming a private investigator. 

Brad Garrett as Bruce, a private investigator whose business is circling the drain, and who becomes Peggy’s reluctant employer.

Weruche Opia as Carol, Peggy’s closest friend, the bored fiancé of an ER doctor and a permissive new stepmother — who has a secret of her own. 

Bernadette Peters as Rosalyn, Peggy’s complicated mother.

Rupert Friend as Guru Bob, a local ex-anchorman, who, after a trauma, rebrands himself as a mystic desert personality. 

Matt Dillon as Denny, Peggy’s ex, an undeniably charming parolee and a relentless operator.

Christine Taylor as Dianne, Peggy’s buttoned-up sister, who tries to make order of Peggy’s chaos. 

Keir O’Donnell as Stewart

Eric Petersen as Owen

High Desert     May 17, 2023      Apple TV+      

Episodes 1-3    Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Pain Management 
1478x832.webp
Grieving her mother’s recent death and under pressure from her siblings to get a job, Peggy finds a new vocation in private investigating.  

S01.E02: Two Knockers and No Boyfriend = A Felony
1478x832.webp
Accused of stealing money from the Pioneertown safe, Peggy takes it upon herself to find the culprit. 

S01.E03: I’m Getting Close to This Guru Bastard
1478x832.webp
Peggy gets closer to the case of Guru Bob’s missing wife, plus meets her own mother’s doppelganger.

Gave it a chance. It's absolutely horrid. For a "comedy", it did not make me smile once. And the characters are hella annoying, particularly in episode 3. Will not be watching further.

• Like 1

Sounds similar to Poker Face, at least superficially?

The creator has credits on Nurse Jackie, Get Shorty and Grace and Frankie but this appears to be the first time she's created and show running?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Sounds similar to Poker Face, at least superficially?

High Desert is about a woman who can figure out what you want to hear and then she tells you that she can get it for you, but can not even come close to delivering on her promises.

(edited)

I started watching and I immediately thought of Poker Face as well. I like it well enough. I thought it was funny, and I appreciated her con artist takes on being able to get information. I watched most of episode one. How will Bernadette Peters fit in?  Flashbacks?  I like all the actors a lot. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie

I’m liking it. Arquette is so loopy that I just enjoy seeing how her line readings are gonna go. Part of me wonders what Pamela Adlon would have done with the role but maybe more grounded is not what the show needs.

• Like 1

Just watched the first three episodes. It’s entertaining enough. Love Brad Garrett.
 Patricia Arquette is great as usual. Matt Dillon had aged well but Holy cow what happened to Bernadette Peters face?! 

I feel like there are too many shows branding themselves as "dark comedies." It's like they can't commit to any particular tone. Sometimes they feel like doing drama, sometimes comedy. It's hard to pull off and I don't think they're doing it very well here.

Patricia Arquette is eminently watchable, but the story isn't really gelling for me.

S01.E06: A Nod Is Not a Hello
1478x832.webp
Arman and Heather threaten Guru Bob. The Gattchis become suspicious of Peggy poking around about Dona’s disappearance.

Premiere Date: June 7, 2023      Apple TV+    

I still feel like the show is trying to do way too much, between the Old West town, the guru, the massage parlor, the detective agency, the missing wife, the ex-husband, the sister and brother, etc. And what is up with Bernadette Peters as some random stranger who just happens to look exactly like Peggy's mother? It's just so random and weird. There are funny moments here and there but the story is kind of a mess.

I guess I am alone here, but I am loving this show. I find it quite funny. Patricia Arquette is fantastic. Tonally and location-wise, it reminds me of Poker Face and Mrs. Davis, both of which I also loved, so maybe that's why it's working for me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I guess I am alone here, but I am loving this show. I find it quite funny. Patricia Arquette is fantastic. Tonally and location-wise, it reminds me of Poker Face and Mrs. Davis, both of which I also loved, so maybe that's why it's working for me.

I love it too. Patricia Arquette is a great comedic actor. Nice to see Matt Dillon again. 

• Like 1

S01.E07: This Doesn’t Have to Be a Tragedy
738x416.webp
Denny and Chunky make a desperate move. Peggy confronts the Gattchis with a demand. Arman and Heather pay Peggy a surprise visit.

Premiere Date: June 14, 2023      Apple TV+    

On 6/12/2023 at 5:00 PM, chediavolo said:

I love it too. Patricia Arquette is a great comedic actor. Nice to see Matt Dillon again. 

I agree Arquette is funny, and so is Matt Dillon. I got a kick out of the opening where he's robbing a dispensary while talking to her over the phone.

But the show is a complete mess. It's like there were three or four different concepts of what the show should be about, and they all got thrown into the pot together. It's just tonally uneven and all over the map.

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree Arquette is funny, and so is Matt Dillon. I got a kick out of the opening where he's robbing a dispensary while talking to her over the phone.

But the show is a complete mess. It's like there were three or four different concepts of what the show should be about, and they all got thrown into the pot together. It's just tonally uneven and all over the map.

I think it’s a fun distraction which is good for me. 

• Like 1

Wow what a mess this show was. There were about six or seven different stories going on, the show could never decide what it wanted to be about. The subplot about the detective agency went absolutely nowhere. Bruce and Carol were in the car on their way to Pioneer Town but never showed up. Both their stories were pointless and baffling. Apparently Carol wasn't even Carol, and Denny knew her? What an odd thing to reveal in the last episode. Especially if there's no second season. And I doubt there will be. The woman who looked exactly like Peggy's mother made no sense either. The whole thing was so scattershot and unfocused.

Admittedly I got a good chuckle out of Peggy which kept me watching, but still, the show itself just didn't seem to know what it wanted to be about.

On 6/22/2023 at 4:19 AM, BingeyKohan said:

I enjoyed this but I wish someone recapped it somewhere so the ending would be clearer to me. Was that really the finale??

Glad it wasn't just me - what the hell kind of ending was that???? I was sure there would be one more episode, but no - wow. What a disappointment.

• Like 1

I watched the first three eps, and that was more than enuf for me.

I agree that Patricia Arquette is very good in this, and the character of Peggy is interesting and unique, but I just hated watching her. Her selfcenterness and immorality were hard to take. I like some antihero shows, but she was just too much for me. And no way would I compare this to Poker Face. I loved that show. The main character, Charlie, was empathetic and liked people. She was good with people, or at least with those she liked, and she wanted to do the right thing. From what I watched, Peggy was never interested in doing the right thing, only what was right for her.

I found parts of this funny. But I decided there's too much to watch out there without spending time with this.