Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E19: Welcome to the New Do

• Start Topic

With her usual stylist unavailable, Gemma decides to use Tina’s hairdresser for an important work event. Also, Malcolm discovers a connection with his new professor.

Airdate: 05/01/2023

It was bad enough that Calvin and tina barged in without knocking, but Dave and  Gemma, too?  Calvin had valid business there, but everyone else made no sense.

I thought Gemma's hair looked cute.  I would never spend hours getting my hair done and it probably shows.

36 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I would imagine she could get fired over it as well.

Especially since she's offering him 'extra credit'

And, btw, how did he expect her to acknowledge him other than the guy from the bookstore in front of the rest of the class.

This one feels different though, and for now I'm OK with it.  I mean, they're both adults as well as colleagues in a way, what with her being a professor and him being a baseball coach at the college.   Yes, he is taking one of her classes and she will be grading him, but I don't see the power differential being as big an issue here as it would be if he was only a student, and far younger than her.

My takeaway was that the "extra credit" she referred to on the back of the syllabus she handed him was only her phone number, not anything like "show me a good time in bed, and I'll add extra credit to your grade, and you'll get an A+ for sure!" 

Or at least I hope it wasn't.  I liked the character and the actress, I thought she had good chemistry with the rest of the cast.  If Malcolm and the professor turns into something more than just a one-episode joke, I'd like to see her negotiate that relationship with Tina coming from a very negative perspective on her.  I think that might be fun as Tina grudgingly has to turn around her opinion and continue to come to the understanding that her sons are adults now.

• Like 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

We had Grover's shoe!

Didn't that seem like a very large shoe for someone of Grover's height/size?  I actually thought it was Malcolm's shoe when Gemma barged in with it.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

I really liked this episode, so why did they have to ruin it with Malcolm's new girlfriend being the professor?  That was so wrong.  Couldn't she have had another job?  Yes, he is equivalent in status at the school as a coach, but isn't he taking a course toward a degree?  You can't be dating the person who is going to grade you! 

• Like 5
On 5/3/2023 at 8:12 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I really liked this episode, so why did they have to ruin it with Malcolm's new girlfriend being the professor?  That was so wrong.  Couldn't she have had another job?  Yes, he is equivalent in status at the school as a coach, but isn't he taking a course toward a degree?  You can't be dating the person who is going to grade you! 

Or have him transfer to a different class.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2