Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Going Under (1)

• Start Topic

Aired April 25, 2023

From IMDb:

Officer Chen goes undercover to infiltrate an illegal firearm operation, and Detective Harper and Officer Nolan work together to solve a mystery involving severed limbs found around the city.

The "mystery involving severed limbs found around the city" part of the episode is a crossover to The Rookie: FEDs  S01.E21: "Bloodline"
(See FEDS episode thread discussion at forums.primetimer.com/topic/138329-s01e21-bloodline.)
As Nolan says: "That's horrible."

I refuse to take seriously any case involving Chen going undercover after being on TV twice, but I have to say her look and style while undercover was really nice.
Smitty is the true MVP of the season so far, right?
Of course  I wasn't going to watch the crossover. It is a bit frustrating how hard they are trying to make us watch this show. But I resist, that voice and that threatening cleavage were enough to make me "run away"!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Zaffy said:

I refuse to take seriously any case involving Chen going undercover after being on TV twice, but I have to say her look and style while undercover was really nice.

In the real world at the moment the entire LAPD, including undercover officers got their pictures posted after a freedom of information request. In a world of a lot of content out there a 20/20 segment or whatever kind of true crime network show put up a episode isn't an entire deal breaker for me.

5 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

Smitty is the true MVP of the season so far, right?

At least comeback cop of the year, showing him actually being a useful officer started with his non "crossover event" appearances on Feds.

With childhood trauma behind her Celina's love life story does suggest she will be around for the rest of the show's run.  I miss the goals for the Boots that happened during The Rookie's first 3 seasons. Having Officer Juarez stand guard over a surprising amount of severed limbs found around Los Angeles seems to be a waste of valuable training and assessment time. Maybe the series can end a 3 season Celina finishes probation arc as it took the original cast to go through their Boot year.

But I still think they should jump forward in time, the only real stopper are the detectives 3 new babies age. With Officer Thorson now talking about detective you no longer have to worry about the "early tap" that Detective Lopez was waiting for and Officer Bishop didn't get when the show had her jump to the ATF to become a Special Agent.

• Like 1

This episode was weird. Maybe it would have helped if I had watched the crossover episode, but I refuse on principle. (I did try the feds show at first, but didn't like it much.)  ABC always seems to try this to boost faltering new shows, and it is annoying.

Tim and Lucy are now the best part of the show, to me, but I feel they're running out of places to go with it.  Like, oh no! Cut to a commercial with a gun to her face! The drama! Except we know she'll be fine.

I've been watching the FEDs but wish I had not watched this week's episode. It was like an episode of Criminal Minds.

Does anyone else think that Celina's date might turn out to be a psycho? 

Tim and Lucy talking about the Laundry Room may be the cutest UC talk ever, and I generally loathe UC plots.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, deaja said:

This episode was weird. Maybe it would have helped if I had watched the crossover episode, but I refuse on principle.

There really was no reason to watch the Feds epi as far as "crossover" went since there wasn't much (like the times they've touted these epis).  One showing up a in a scene from the other's show does not a crossover make.

I also am still having a hard time buying Lucy as a UC because of her exposure on those documentaries.  I do appreciate that her UC assignment wasn't long and extended.

I did like Lopez taking out that idiot at the hospital and Thorson (and Smitty) helping conclude her cold case.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

There really was no reason to watch the Feds epi as far as "crossover" went since there wasn't much (like the times they've touted these epis).  One showing up a in a scene from the other's show does not a crossover make.

Then I guess it was just a boring episode to me. I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. 

SMITTY!!!!!

I did like the tense scenes with Lucy and her target.  I especially liked the one where he pulled the gun on her and threatened to shoot her because he was convinced she was a cop because she knew the cops were coming before you could hear or see them.  Her quavery "!!!....but I saw it on an app!" and the bewildered return of "an 'app'??" from the target who had been sequestered in prison for the last several years was perfection.  I'm OK with the occasional "Lucy Undercover" episode if they can continue to have these scenes where they show her thinking fast on her feet and getting the job done.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Did anyone else thing Michael Rooker as the washed up crime boss Frank Tesca was too charismatic? 
IDK. It reminds me of some of the characters in the old Barney Miller episodes that get released without being booked.
I'm not sure if I like it or not.
I did like that Lucy didn't have to fight off any sexual advances. Heh, at one point I thought Tesca was going to start talking about his prostate problems.

• Like 1

I loved this episode. I like how they showed Tim and Lucy being strong as a couple and as partners, and their conversation at the end of the episode where they had a open and honest conversation about Lucy's UC work and how she would walk away before it can effect their relationship. 

• Like 4
On 4/27/2023 at 6:28 AM, Zaffy said:

Of course  I wasn't going to watch the crossover. It is a bit frustrating how hard they are trying to make us watch this show. But I resist, that voice and that threatening cleavage were enough to make me "run away"!

I have steadfastly refused to watch crossover shows since they were invented. But especially this one. I've seen Niecy Nash be a good character (as a guest or secondary character), but I found this particular character too annoying.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

Since they already did that story with Lucy, I hope not. The guy struck me as being pretty nice, the dog though...he might be in the psycho range (kidding, I love dogs).

23 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

SMITTY!!!!!

I did like the tense scenes with Lucy and her target.  I especially liked the one where he pulled the gun on her and threatened to shoot her because he was convinced she was a cop because she knew the cops were coming before you could hear or see them.  Her quavery "!!!....but I saw it on an app!" and the bewildered return of "an 'app'??" from the target who had been sequestered in prison for the last several years was perfection.  I'm OK with the occasional "Lucy Undercover" episode if they can continue to have these scenes where they show her thinking fast on her feet and getting the job done.

The thing that bugged me most about Lucy in her undercover role is that she'd pull out her phone to talk to Tim while she was still (theoretically) in sight of the people she's investigating.

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Did anyone else thing Michael Rooker as the washed up crime boss Frank Tesca was too charismatic? 
IDK. It reminds me of some of the characters in the old Barney Miller episodes that get released without being booked.
I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Can you be too charismatic? 😉 I didn't think of that, but it makes sense to me that at least some criminal top dogs are charismatic rather than abject bullies and horror shows - at least not with his own people.

Yeah, I see the Barney Miller connection in terms of characters...I loved that show.

I did like the look Lucy pulled off for her undercover job - she looked really nice. I also like that they've dialed Serena's hoodoo/mystical stuff down quite a bit. Though I didn't mind it as much as some, it did become aggravating to me as well.

I've noticed with Smitty's newly capable routine that he's also looking a lot better than e did.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 4/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The guy struck me as being pretty nice, the dog though...he might be in the psycho range (kidding, I love dogs).

Yeah; I was thinking an owner who can’t separate his dog from a severed human arm which the dog is using as a chew toy, makes that owner  a little suspicious. 
But he did call the police, so it’s probably just supposed to be a meet-cute origin story for quirky Celina. 
I just have trouble making the mental leap from a guy whose dog chews human limbs, to a guy who is great boyfriend material. 🙃

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have steadfastly refused to watch crossover shows since they were invented. But especially this one. I've seen Niecy Nash be a good character (as a guest or secondary character), but I found this particular character too annoying.

The best crossover was Sleepy Hollow and Bones. Mostly because of how insane it made Bones become.

The Rookie crossovers aren't good.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just have trouble making the mental leap from a guy whose dog chews human limbs, to a guy who is great boyfriend material. 🙃

To be fair, the dog wasn't eating the leg - just protecting it (maybe as a potential snack, though).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

The best crossover was Sleepy Hollow and Bones. Mostly because of how insane it made Bones become.

I'd stopped watching Sleepy Hollow by then. I was too ticked off when they killed off Abbie.

Though I watched Bones, I think I didn't watch that episode either. I'd remember that craziness.

Edited by Clanstarling
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd stopped watching Sleepy Hollow by then. I was too ticked off when they killed off Abbie.

Though I watched Bones, I think I didn't watch that episode either. I'd remember that craziness.

It was actually in the third season - Abbie was in the episode!

• Useful 1

I detest the Rookie/Rookie Feds crossovers. They're the bare minimum definition of a crossover and I can't stand Niecy on that show. I flat-out refused to watch the second half.

Stop trying to make "fetch" happen.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I detest the Rookie/Rookie Feds crossovers. They're the bare minimum definition of a crossover and I can't stand Niecy on that show. I flat-out refused to watch the second half.

Stop trying to make "fetch" happen.

I have to agree with the crossovers! I think Feds would be so much better without Neicy's character - she is just grating.

• Like 7