Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E12: Esther Perel; Glenn Loury; Daniel Bessner

• Start Topic

Two professors do not fireworks make.

I'm a big fan of polite, intellectual discourse, but I'm sorry to say it was a little boring.

Bessner was earnest, seemed uncomfortable and unsure of how to handle audience validation. But thank goodness for him, because besides seeming a little smug, Loury didn't offer much.

I liked Perel, she wasn't going to take Bill's BS. "I'm waiting to see where you're going with this."

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I was disappointed in the younger professor. Bill would ask an interesting question and he'd go on a filibuster with a poor answer or just totally evade the question.

The woman interviewee was great. Very intelligent and persuasive. E.g., she handled Bill's thing against fantasy brilliantly. It was one of his better interview guests of late.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Like 3

The panel professors were certainly less than dynamic.  Simply avoided answering some questions, yet pontificated in professor-ese (especially Bessner) that failed to prompt further discussion. Can't imagine lasting a whole semester with either of those bores!  Lowry was slightly more direct but stood back & waited for Bessner to respond first - ostensibly to be polite, but it seemed he simply lacked an interesting response to any of it - though he was more concise than Bessner.  Bet we never see these two back on the show. 

Perel was better.  She had reasons to support her theories.  Listened to Bill & pushed back.  If Bill wasn't having it, it's because he strikes me as someone who gets bored in a relationship & takes off.  On to the next. Not one to work at a relationship - which clearly Perel does given her notion of people changing over time and reformulating the relationship to accommodate that. Not in Bill's DNA.

• Like 4

Appreciated the discussion on college and how it’s a consumer driven experience and not as much on education.  This is why expensive college is a scam.  Go to state schools, and at least get some education for less money.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

My thoughts exact. Bill Maher seems desperate to try and find three guests to fill up his show, when, before, he used to have no problems getting five.

You have no idea how hard it was for me to resist this, but: Tucker Carlson is going to have some free time now.

At least I'll be able to sleep tonight now that I got that out of my system.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
11 hours ago, The Solution said:

You have no idea how hard it was for me to resist this, but: Tucker Carlson is going to have some free time now.

You failed to resist it so all that effort went to waste. I would haven't even tried had it been me.

• LOL 2
On 4/24/2023 at 10:52 PM, The Solution said:

Oh man, Elon Musk this week will be bad enough.

• LOL 2

I missed this show when it was on. Perel was very interesting.

I did not find that panel boring at all. I thought Bill was almost afraid to ask the questions he was asking because of the current political climate, but I’m glad he did. I thought they both gave interesting perspectives on the issues. I thought their insights on the media were spot on. The media is everywhere, and understanding the motives of the media is interesting to me.

• Like 1