Type keyword(s) to search

Tom Jones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

FeJtJLiWIAAyUvX?format=jpg&name=large
Tom Jones is a 4 episode limited TV series airing on PBS Masterpiece on April 30, 2023 at 10pm. Tom Jones is a reimagining of Henry Fielding's 1749 novel "The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling", the tale of a kind-hearted womanizing young bastard's (man born out of wedlock) journey to love for a wealthy young heiress. Set in the 18th century and focuses on the characters of Tom and Sophia as they go through a long journey to find love where their class differences made this complicated and treacherous. 

A 1963 movie "Tom Jones" starring Albert Finney as Tom and Susannah York as Sophie Western won four Academy Awards, including an Oscar for Best Picture.
The 1976 movie “The Bawdy Adventures of Tom Jones” starring Nicky Henson as Tom. There was a 1997 BBC television adaptation “The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling” with Max Beesley as Tom and Samantha Morton as Sophie. There have also been several operas and stage plays. 

Solly McLeod is the hero Tom Jones 
Tom-Jones-(2).jpeg
Sophie Wilde is the heroine Sophia Western 
masterpiece-tomjones-sophiewilde.jpg

Hannah Waddingham is the seductive and vengeful Lady Bellaston
TomJones_HW-First-Look-2.jpg
FmtPsiZXoA4R89c?format=jpg&name=large
FmtPsihXoAAUD7_?format=jpg&name=large

Pearl Mackie is Honour, Sophia’s trusted maid

James Fleet as Squire Allworthy, Tom’s adoptive father

Alun Armstrong is Squire Western, Sophia’s hard drinking but loving grandfather
tom-jones-ep1-14.jpg

Shirley Henderson as Sophia’s Aunt Western

Tamzin Merchant is Sophia’s Aunt Harriet

Julian Rhind-Tutt as Fitzpatrick, Aunt Harriet's bellicose husband. 

Susannah Fielding is Mrs. Waters.

Daniel Rigby is Partridge, the disgraced schoolteacher who befriends Tom on his journey

James Wilbraham is Blifil, Tom’s bitter cousin, betroved to Sophia

Felicity Montagu is Bridget Allworthy, Blifil’s mother, a devoted aunt to Tom, 

Janine Duvitski is Mrs. Wilkins, Allworthy’s testy housekeeper

Dean Lennox Kelly is Black George, a poacher-turned-gamekeeper

Lucy Fallon is Molly, Black George's daughter who charms young Tom

• Like 1

S01.E01: Episode 1

Tom-Jones-e1-ICON-1920x1080-1-1024x576.j
Tom and Sophia hit it off, despite their wildly contrasting backgrounds. Molly complicates the picture for Tom, and Blifil for Sophia.

Premiere Date: Sunday, April 30, 2023       PBS      9pm

• Like 1
(edited)

Fun start. Is Sophia a daughter of a slave in the book? I found her manicure distracting, would those kind of nails been historically accurate?

Edited by nx74defiant
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, nx74defiant said:

Fun start. Is Sophia a daughter of a slave in the book? I found her manicure distracting, would those kind of nails been historically accurate?

In the book, I believe she is the daughter of a local squire.

(edited)

I like it a lot, especially all the actors, including our couple, both charmers.  The thing you have to get right when you are adapting Tom Jones is that Tom isn't some callow seducer. And they are doing that well.

I already want to smack the heir.

The actor who plays Tom looks quite a bit like Jamie from Outlander.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 2

S01.E02: Episode 2
Tom-Jones-e2-ICON-1920x1080-2-1024x576.j
Tom is banished by Allworthy. Meanwhile, Sophia flees her impending marriage to Blifil. Adventures ensue, including fateful encounters.

Premiere Date: Sunday, May 7, 2023       PBS      9pm

I am not sure I understand the relationship between Aunt Harriet and her husband Fitzpatrick, he seems to be rich, but spends all of his time scrounging around in the lower end establishments looking for money. His wife must be in control of the money, but I don't know why people don't realize he is so well off.

I'm really getting a kick out of this show, although it feels very soap-opera.

I wonder, however, about this trend of casting people of color in period dramas (and I hope this isn't too heavy a topic to broach). It's becoming more and more common with shows like Sanditon and Bridgerton. I get the desire to cast with diversity. It's probably frowned upon to have an all-white cast on a show these days. And I do think the race issue is addressed better here than it was in Sanditon. But where I feel a bit uncomfortable is the notion of downplaying the significance of racism in the 1700s, pretending it wasn't THAT big of a deal. Which of course, it was. You don't make racism go away by pretending there was no racism.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2023 at 7:17 AM, magdalene said:

The actor who plays Tom looks quite a bit like Jamie from Outlander.

Imma have to disagree heartily with you lass!

I couldn't get into this at all. It felt like bad slap stick, which was disappointing because there's nothing compelling to watch on Sunday on PBS for me right now...sigh...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder, however, about this trend of casting people of color in period dramas (and I hope this isn't too heavy a topic to broach). It's becoming more and more common with shows like Sanditon and Bridgerton. I get the desire to cast with diversity. It's probably frowned upon to have an all-white cast on a show these days. And I do think the race issue is addressed better here than it was in Sanditon. But where I feel a bit uncomfortable is the notion of downplaying the significance of racism in the 1700s, pretending it wasn't THAT big of a deal. Which of course, it was. You don't make racism go away by pretending there was no racism.

Exactly!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I never read the book, and can’t really place the time period. Was the book written as a satire, well after? Or, is this supposed to be a contemporaneous criticism of the classes? 

Yes, the tone of this show is very slap-sticky.  I am not used to PBS period pieces being like this, ha. I figure it's only 4 episodes and it's not going to leave things up in the air.  I had to read the book way back when for English class and I remember it being very bawdy then.

As to the diversity casting I got used to it watching Bridgerton.  From what I understand often people of color where actually treated with less racism when living in England than they would have been when English people encountered them in the colonies.  I used to watch The Jewel in the Crown and that was definitely the case for the character of Hari Kumar.

As for our heroine, don't under-estimate what being a rich heiress can do for some racist pig suddenly becoming "enlightened".

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree. I would draw a distinction between a Bridgerton, which I can accept as romantic fantasy, and adaptions of classic literature, which we often read and watch to reflect on mores and manners in earlier historical eras. Colorblind casting really distorts this.

Before someone says, “what about Hamilton?”, I’d also draw a distinction vs. stage productions and Shakespeare, which I think are more interpretive. I have no problem with Denzel Washington playing Macbeth, or an all female production of Julius Caesar, for example.

• Like 4

S01.E03: Episode 3
Tom-Jones-e3-ICON-1920x1080-1-1024x576.j
Tom is lured to a masquerade by an insatiable paramour; complications develop. Blifil and a loathsome lord try to compromise Sophia.

Premiere Date: Sunday, May 14, 2023       PBS      9pm

Am I the only one who likes this show? The third episode was my favorite so far. It helps that I find Tom very endearing.  Sure, he can't keep it in his pants but he is such a good egg and doesn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, lol.

This period was so outrageous and great fun fashion-wise - but with dubious hygiene? Did head lice have a field day? Never mind the morals.  From what I understand the Regency wasn't really any less licentious, though probably less in your face about it.

The only character I really abhor is Blifil. I just want to punch him repeatedly.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

The only character I really abhor is Blifil. I just want to punch him repeatedly.

If you don't want to punch Blifil, then the actor is doing his job!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 5/15/2023 at 4:44 PM, magdalene said:

Am I the only one who likes this show? The third episode was my favorite so far. It helps that I find Tom very endearing.  Sure, he can't keep it in his pants but he is such a good egg and doesn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, lol.

I like it. I guess I don't have a lot to comment on though. It's sort of a fun, fluffy type of show. I'm curious to see how they wrap the story up with just one more episode.

Hannah Waddingham was delightful in this, just as she is in everything else she does. Tamzin Merchant was kind of wasted though. She just didn't seem to have a lot to do.

I'm really not impressed with the actress playing Sophie. She's pretty enough I guess but she just isn't very compelling and it's hard to see why Tom is so drawn to her. The actress playing Honour is more interesting and I kind of wish they could have traded roles.

S01.E04: Episode 4
(Season Finale)

Tom-Jones-e4-ICON_1920x1080-1024x576.jpg
Tom’s letter to Lady Bellaston threatens to sink his prospects with Sophia. A swordfight puts him in even deeper trouble. A secret emerges.

Premiere Date: Sunday, May 21, 2023       PBS      9pm

While it says it was the season finale, that was the series finale by the way. It was a nice bonbon of a series for me.  One of the things I liked about it that it didn't have the usual moral condemnation of "fallen" women ala Jenny Jones.  Lady Bellaston wasn't a villain because she had a sexual appetite, she was a villain because she was a vicious bitch. I hope she devours Blifil whole.

That was tied up with neat, tidy bow. A little too easy, but I guess oh well. So will Tom change his last name to Allworthy? I still don't see how he becomes the legal heir, he is still illegitimate. But I guess the Squire can leave his fortune to whichever nephew he chooses.

I enjoyed the series for the most part but I still think Sophie Wilde was the weak link in casting. She just wasn't dynamic or charismatic enough for this role IMO.

Hannah Waddingham was the highlight, and I love that Blifil wound up turning to her in desperation.